Has Shakir overtaken Davis

Whkfc

I hope so. Davis had his moment of fame. He was a one-hit wonder. He's not fast; he doesn't run great routes; and he doesn't have good hands. Plus he doesn't seem like great leader. He had his all-time great game and we'll always remember that moment of awesome.

But he's practice squad material at this point. Time to move on.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Shakir has won me over.  He just makes plays and you can tell Allen is beginning to trust him.  

A lot of Deebo-lite in his game. 

Best case scenario is teams start to see the emergence of Shakir, Kincaid and RB passing game, resulting in defensive changes .. which could emulate the Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, Davis dynamic that Gabe had some big games in. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Man with No Name said:

HE is saying that Davis was fantastic in the role of 3rd WR

Fantastic at not being thrown to? Yes… he was also fantastic at not catching easy passes that became turn overs, that lead to a close loss. Very Fantastic 

Edited by Prospector

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The offense should run through Diggs, Kincaid, Cook, and Shakir going forward. 

I still marvel at the amount of people on this board who were banging the table for his release because he had a quiet Pre-Season. Goes to show how much Pre-Season does not matter.

You should own the fact that you were the head of the Gabe Davis defense team here on TSW a month ago before you marvel at detractors of any other Bills receiver.

You were quite adamant about how Gabe Davis was an excellent WR2...........pointing to stats after the Tampa game(when the Bills were the only team in the league to have played 8 games yet) and suggesting he was almost a WR1 quality WR2!

Now you've cut Gabe out of the offense entirely. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You should own the fact that you were the head of the Gabe Davis defense team here on TSW a month ago before you marvel at detractors of any other Bills receiver.

You were quite adamant about how Gabe Davis was an excellent WR2...........pointing to stats after the Tampa game(when the Bills were the only team in the league to have played 8 games yet) and suggesting he was almost a WR1 quality WR2!

Now you've cut Gabe out of the offense entirely. :lol:

Look back at those posts. I defended his production as a #2 WR amongst other #2 WR's in the league at the time. I argued that he (at the time) was a #2 WR with decent #2 WR production, by comparison to others. And that what you and others truly wanted was not a productive #2 WR, but two guys who could be #1's on other teams.

At no point did I say he was Elite or that he was great. At no point did I say there was zero merit to those who pointed out faults in his game. Just that (again, at the time) the idea that he was completely worthless was a bit much.

To the point where saying ANYTHING positive about him was somehow championing him and grounds for having insults slung in your direction.

But then the drops returned. And his lack of separation got worse. Then Kincaid's usage grew and as he became more and more comfortable in the offense and the team became more and more comfortable with him, it's clear he's the much better secondary receiver. As he was drafted to be. His time came quicker than expected and I'm thrilled with it.

*I've* cut him out of the conversation lately because the TEAM ITSELF has cut him out of the conversation. And the offense HAS been working better with Kincaid being looked at as the #2 option and Shakir as the #3. And if it's working, why go away from it?

Edited by BillsFanForever19

I said all off-season long, the slot guy whoever that is should be the second leading WR on the team.  That may need to be a combination of Shakir and Kincaid.  We will have to see how Kincaid is used when Knox is back.  Knox should be third in targets. 

We want Davis to lead the team in YPC not targets.  

Next season let Davis walk and draft WR in first round.  He plays opposite of Diggs for a couple years and grows into a true #1.  Kincaid and Shakir are fine for the slot for several years.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mango said:

For whatever reason people have started to use WR3 as the starter in the slot and the backup outside interchangeably. 

But like I said above, if believe that if we use our slot guys (Kincaid, Shakir, Cook) effectively Gabe Davis is an OK guy on the outside to stretch the field and run a lot of deep routes. I think there is talent in the group. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t try to upgrade him. I would. I’d most definitely take somebody high in the draft.

It’ll be an interesting wrinkle moving forward if Brady sticks Shakir in the slot and Kincaid outside in 12 personnel once Knox is back. Certainly some cool possibilities with matchups and motion with that type of setup. 

• Like (+1) 1

We know what we have with Gabe. A good blocker who on rare occasion has a spectacular game. He’s also usually INVISIBLE! Shakir, in his second season is even better that Davis in his 2nd year. Fuggetaboutit for a new contract for Davis. Best players play. Shakir has shaken off the drops and earned the starting position. I believe he’s on a 3 year contract, meaning he walks after next season. 

I get it. Young players don’t/rarely start for McCautious. It’s past time he loses his blinders on this aspect. Shakir has definitely improved his route running and has deceptive speed. He, Diggs & Kincaid are our best 3 receivers. Why are we settling for less than our best players starting?

You know they have different roles on the field right? And that Shakir might not be as good against a better corner right? Cole Beasley would have gotten destroyed as an outside wr but thrived in the slot because you can different matchups. 

Everything is working fine. No need to change things up.

• Like (+1) 2

With Knox coming back soon, someone is going to start seeing less time.  Shakir is starting to earn the reps and targets and Davis is basically one foot out the door already.

Diggs is always going to out there and Kincaid is pushing for the rookie TE receiving record (needs 30 more receptions in his final 6 games).

Cut Davis's snaps and split them with Shakir and Knox when needed.  Keep building the chemistry since Shakir, Knox and Kincaid are all going to still be here next year and then get a true WR2 in the draft.

Edited by The Wiz

It looks like some of the gameplan was to target short passes to harp on the Jets defense deficiency at the LB level. Diggs also didn't have a great game.

But overall I agree. I think we have seen the top end of Gabe Davis, and he is clearly not built for the #2 role. Can Shakir surpass him once he's the focus? Who knows, but he's playing with a spark that Gabe isn't and will 99% guarantee that Davis will not be back next season. GMs get silly with #2 WR money, and I am convinced someone will flash a price tag that we would be fools to match. So, let's see what the hot guy can do.

Just now, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It looks like some of the gameplan was to target short passes to harp on the Jets defense deficiency at the LB level. Diggs also didn't have a great game.

But overall I agree. I think we have seen the top end of Gabe Davis, and he is clearly not built for the #2 role. Can Shakir surpass him once he's the focus? Who knows, but he's playing with a spark that Gabe isn't and will 99% guarantee that Davis will not be back next season. GMs get silly with #2 WR money, and I am convinced someone will flash a price tag that we would be fools to match. So, let's see what the hot guy can do.

Shakir is not fast enough to be an outside receiver. He would be awful as a number 2. It would be lkke when we thought Josh Reed (one of my least favorite bills of all time) could be a number 2 and was so awful. 

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

With Knox coming back soon, someone is going to start seeing less time.  Shakir is starting to earn the reps and targets and Davis is basically one foot out the door already.

Diggs is always going to out there and Kincaid is pushing for the rookie TE receiving record (needs 30 more receptions in his final 6 games).

Cut Davis's snaps and split them with Shakir and Knox when needed. 

To Biscuit's earlier point - I don't think it's as simple as that.  Shakir is clearly contributing more than Davis, but it is unclear whether he'd do so as a #2 WR.  He's been thriving in the slot while Davis has been the #2 WR.  Davis has been drawing coverage despite his issues with pass catching.

I still believe that Knox is the odd man out and you keep Davis out there with Shakir and Kincaid.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.