McDermott weird comments about Josh Allen

HappyDays

30 minutes ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

The big mistake in all of this was choosing Dorsey in the first place. Who lets a 26 year QB choose his own offensive coordinator? That's ridiculous. "We want Josh to be happy and comfortable." Again, ridiculous. Pick the best coach. Dorsey was not the best guy available to coach the 11 guys on offense. 

Because Daboll wanted him McD did too.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

Not really that weird. The honeymoon phase is over. McD tried giving Allen a longer leash and it wasn’t working out. So now McD is trying to light a fire under him to take things more seriously. 

Josh is likely tired of winning games all by himself only to have them taken away by McD in the 4th quarter due to awful conservative coaching decisions. No one in the league consistently blows leads quite like McD.

Edited by Governor
  • Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

I posted this in another thread, but it's super related to Dorsey's leadership position. It's clear that Dorsey is NOT A LEADER OF MEN. 

Watched Joe Brady's press conference. He is a hell of a lot more articulate than Dorsey.

I couldn't believe how INARTICULATE Dorsey was! Stammering, stuttering, evading, incoherent guy when speaking. Either he wasn't aware, or he did not care about his poor public speaking. It seems a JOKE now that he was being considered for head-coaching gigs last year. How can a guy like that, who can barely speak, barely answer a question, be the face of a franchise?

Not to mention, if he can't communicate in a down-to-earth way to the press, how well is he going to communicate with his players? I know it does not directly correlate, but it's a reasonable question to ask. Communication skills are communication skills. Dorsey, judging by his press conferences, had PATHETIC communication skills 

"Yeah, no, yeah, no, yeah no, no yeah,"  over and over again. What a weird verbal tic. Why speak that way when performing public speaking engagements? It's part of your job (even if it's not the most important one." You should still try to get better at it.

Brady at least speaks confidently and commandingly. It may not translate into results. But at least you can listen to him speak without cringing

This raises another interesting question.  I haven't seen Brady, but I agree with your observations of Dorsey.   In some post today, I said Dorsey seemed like he was trying to solve a puzzle, rather than a guy who feels like beating the DC on the other sideline is the most important thing in the world, and doing it is second only to beating a guy on the field.  Dorsey's whole style, including his oral presentation, never gave me the feeling that he was the guy to lead men into battle.  

The other interesting question is this:  If what we're talking about is real, why hadn't Beane and McDermott figured out that he wasn't a leader before they promoted him?   That was a serious mistake.  Was it because Josh wanted him?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

I don't care who the OC is, or how "bad" your team is, if you're making $40 mil A YEAR (6 months, really), and you're playing a game, and you're not happy just to go out there and play, you need professional, mental help.

Money doesn’t surpercede pressure and expectations from other people let alone yourself. Can be overwhelmed and “out of it” with any amount of monetary value you're being paid…

39 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This raises another interesting question.  I haven't seen Brady, but I agree with your observations of Dorsey.   In some post today, I said Dorsey seemed like he was trying to solve a puzzle, rather than a guy who feels like beating the DC on the other sideline is the most important thing in the world, and doing it is second only to beating a guy on the field.  Dorsey's whole style, including his oral presentation, never gave me the feeling that he was the guy to lead men into battle.  

The other interesting question is this:  If what we're talking about is real, why hadn't Beane and McDermott figured out that he wasn't a leader before they promoted him?   That was a serious mistake.  Was it because Josh wanted him?

McDermott and Beane worked with him in Carolina and here so he pry had a good feel for his leadership skills.  If there were any complaints among the players about him they kept it in house.  I find it hard to believe he was promoted just because Josh "wanted him" as there was a lot of national reporting that he was a sought out candidate for offensive coordinator vacancies across the league after the 2020 season.

To me the writing was on the wall for him to take over for Daboll whenever he got a head coaching gig when he was given the extra title of "passing game coordinator" along with qb's coach in 2021.  I imagine he's going to get more opportunities as an offensive coordinator elsewhere in the future given he coordinated a top five offense for most of his tenure.  Hell, Brian Daboll was offensive coordinators for three NFL teams before he came here and his resume was nothing to write home  about.

Edited by Doc Brown

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The other thing with KC that is just so frustrating is they have invested a lot into their defense lately, BUT it's actually paid off. I mean Mahomes led his offense to ZERO points in an entire half against Miami. And they won the game! That's straight up insane. 17 points against the Jaguars. And they won!

KC has made excellent moves. Gotta give them credit.

- They drafted Trey Smith. Bills took Rachad Wildgoose several picks before that.

- They drafted Creed Humphrey, who is now the best C in the league. Bills took Carlos Basham two slots before that.

- They moved ahead of us and drafted McDuffie. We drafted Elam.

They also made protecting their QB a goal of utmost priority.

- They signed Joe Thuney, a very good G, to an $80M deal in Free Agency.

- They signed Jawaan Taylor in free agency to an $80M deal. 

- They signed Donovan Smith in free agency to a $9M deal.

Beane has some golden nuggets too, with the great signing of Leonard Floyd and McGovern has played well. But we also have some pretty  low return-on-investment signings too, with Hardy, and Sherfield and Ford and Von, etc.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SWATeam said:

I mean it's not that weird, it's what we've all been seeing with Josh.  He's just not the same guy right now.

The thing that strikes me is McD being so forthcoming with how little he usually says about anything.  

The other day somebody posted something about comments McD made about a coordinator being in the booth vs on the field.  Does that mean Brady is going to be down on the field?

what the he11 does Shula do?   Why not have one in the booth and one on the field?  Maybe that was part of the leadership comments about Dorsey.  Was he using Brady & Shula enough?

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sean mentioned a personal thing with Josh, won't describe it further. I really think Josh is missing his ex Brittany. I don't think you stay together with someone for that long (since high school) if you don't have a strong connection with them. He screwed up. He let his little head do the thinking. And he is feeling the loss. That thousand-yard stare he has on the sidelines? I'll bet it's this. 

As someone who tries not to get into this stuff about his personal life, I really don't think this is the case. I have heard they have broken up numerous times, and that he wanted her out and she didn't want to go.If he really wanted her back, I have a feeling he could have her back. He seems pretty happy with Hailee Steinfeld, and their relationship is a lot more lowkey. My old employer and former co-worker did a dinner for them  a couple weeks ago. Maybe the drama of the whole situation with Brittany bothers him, but who knows. I don't think he is missing her and is quite happy with Steinfeld, even though it's a big change in his life.

Edited by Aimee75
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

- They drafted Trey Smith. Bills took Rachad Wildgoose several picks before that.

- They drafted Creed Humphrey, who is now the best C in the league. Bills took Carlos Basham two slots before that.

Beane has some golden nuggets too, with the great signing of Leonard Floyd and McGovern has played well. But we also have some pretty  low return-on-investment signings too, with Hardy, and Sherfield and Ford and Von, etc.

Other than the top pick last year (which can still pan out ) Beane's draft classes have been top notch. Torrence, Kincaid, Cook, Bernard, Sahkir, Benford and Arriaza.  When they draft by strict position they suck but when it's BPA they have done real well.

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Neve really mattered to me that we had a defensive head coach, especially with how he turned the franchise around. But I can say it's very clear to me that both Beane and McDermott struggle to properly analyze offensive talent.

The biggest concern I had was after Kincaid was drafted Dorsey flat up said he wasn't sure how he would use him.- I'm sorry what? Chalked it up to deflecting - now though it wasn't that at all.

And to your point how the hell did it take this long being around him to make a decision - the constant umms when he spoke drive me insane 

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

Jawaan Taylor sucks and was a horrific overpay.

They also drafted a horror show of WR talent. 

Defense has been great. Eagles will beat them comfortably. 

• Disagree 1

18 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

I don't care who the OC is, or how "bad" your team is, if you're making $40 mil A YEAR (6 months, really), and you're playing a game, and you're not happy just to go out there and play, you need professional, mental help.

18 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Wall Street execs and stockbrokers are just as susceptible to these kind of mental issues as someone "playing a game", so enough with that... a job is a job, no matter if it's trading or throwing a football in a professional league. People get on bad streaks, go into bad funks, etc, etc... it's called LIFE.

Yes, comparing other folks who are high earners, and who literally can buy happiness, is a good take. 🙄

How about the tens of millions of Americans who dread going in to work every day, live paycheck to paycheck, but have to put on a happy face to please their customers? How about when the latter folks have a parent or other close relative who gets cancer, and then on top of their crappy job, they have to deal with that too? How about when their son or daughter gets in trouble with the law, or gets pregnant unexpectedly, or gets a serious illness? How about when they lose their job and have no way to pay their bills? How about when the high cost of inflation and the spiraling high cost of their rent means they can’t make ends meet?

You think that Josh Allen’s situation….not getting along with his coaches or even other players, or relationship issues with his Hollywood girlfriend….is comparable to the above folks!? If you told those folks, “if we pay you $43 million for 6 months a year work, you think you could be happy and content to go in to work every day” that they’d be able to get happy and content at work!? And mind you, MANY jobs in this country are stressful, and physically & mentally taxing, MUCH MORE SO than playing football. And of course most people work all year long, not just half the year.

Yes, everybody has “life issues.” What I’m saying is that Josh’s life issues are very minor in the big picture, and if he can’t be thankful and happy to get out there and play, obviously he’s got issues, and needs help.

The things that some of y’all post up in this forum are just mind numbing. And to all the people who reacted negatively to my post, you too need to really think about this. 

Hope y’all have a great weekend, and GO BILLS! I hope they destroy the Jets and go on a 7-0 run. ANYTHING is possible. 😉

• Eyeroll 1

Since Daboll left, Josh has been different. He still had a good year last year, but the relationship he had with Dabs went well beyond X's and O's. I would say that Dabs was almost like a 2nd father figure to him. They were that close and talked about all kinds of things. You take such an influential person out of Josh's circle and he hasn't adjusted well. Then you take into account the changes in his personal life. Yes, he may have outgrown his HS sweetheart. Or, maybe he just wanted to throw his pole in different waters. Who knows. But, all of this could be having an effect on him as well. I know we like to think all of these guys are just machines who can play a game regardless of everything going on around them, but they're human beings with the same struggles as everyone else internally. 

• Like (+1) 2

27 year old making a quarter of a billion dollars and he needs to be coddled. They’ve paid him, signed his friends to ridiculous contracts (see Dawson Knox), brought in his golf buddy to back him up (Kyle Allen), and have defended him at every turn. It’s time for the star quarterback to grow up. Stop sulking and be a leader and a motivator. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Johnnyp566 said:

27 year old making a quarter of a billion dollars and he needs to be coddled. They’ve paid him, signed his friends to ridiculous contracts (see Dawson Knox), brought in his golf buddy to back him up (Kyle Allen), and have defended him at every turn. It’s time for the star quarterback to grow up. Stop sulking and be a leader and a motivator. 

Can you tell us how you really feel though? Let’s not hold back here

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Johnnyp566 said:

Don't you think, if it was as simple as telling Josh to grow up, they would have already done that and it would have worked?

The number of people dismissing Josh's mental health - which, in fairness, may or may not be the issue - just because their sports team has lost a few games. Maybe the phrase "grow up" should be revisited and reconsidered.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

I know it's sacrilegious to say it, but Beane hasn't drafted that well. 

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It makes you wonder shaw.  One thing I kept hearing with dabol is taking plays out Josh didn't like.

Why?

You are limiting your offense if you can't use the full playbook.  You also  become predictable 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.