McDermott weird comments about Josh Allen

HappyDays

2 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

If the Bills somehow win the SB this year - which will be a minor miracle - it'll make the reload much easier to handle.

Post 13 seconds all I wanted was a Rams type sell out. I could easily handle mediocre for a few years post Super Bowl. I think some people would be ok if the team moves as long as we win one lol. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Fumbling on the first play after not fumbling since his first carry in the league.  27 games without another fumble until that point.  If you want to blame that on not be prepared for the game then fine.  But benching a player for a quarter and a half because of that seems a little excessive if you ask me after not having a fumbling issue until that point.

Turnovers are different than drops, you're right.

Gabe Davis: one drop that resulted in an INT and one fumble on the season (others would probably go after the times where Allen was picked off when he was targeted but I'm only going to blame him for when he had hands on the ball).

James Cook: 1 fumble lost and 1 fumble recovered on the season. 

I almost wish JC4 wasn’t prepared (although I believe he’s ready to rock n roll all day long). Because he flipped a switch and was instantly unstoppable within the hour. That’s an impressive thought. 

3 minutes ago, Araiza Curse said:

It’s up to Allen to figure it out and find his center. The sooner he realizes it’s time to be an adult and get to work, the better for us fans. Allen clearly has the talents to be great, but to take it to the next level requires more than just talent. It takes obsession to win. 

The issue for me is the apparent accusation, from what's been said, that Josh didn't think he was doing the best thing for the franchise over the close season. Looking after himself was a key component, and I'm sure he felt it was the right thing heading into the season, considering what he (and the rest of the franchise) went through last year, plus his injury which may... or may not... been aggravated since.

Now, he could be in a spiral and unable to see a way out of it. Maybe McDermott thinks a short sharp shock, like sacking the OC, will work. Let's hope he's right and it doesn't send him spiralling further if so.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

A good point.  And I know the other fumble was statistically on Allen, but given that Cook had two other fumbles, I have to wonder whether that wasn't on Cook, too.   Allen wouldn't say that, of course. 

After the first fumble and the benching, I would have thought that ball security wasn't going to be a problem with Cook for the rest of the game.  

It's be interesting to see the next time Kincaid fumbles.   Will it be next week, or next season?

The hard part for me w Cook was it didn't seem like the message got through about the benching.  When Cook came back in it looked like he was running harder and more reckless.  The message wasn't to run harder, but was supposed to be about ball security.  That didn't seem to be Cook's priority. 

McD saying he doesn't trust Cook might be a measured response to contain huge frustration on a missed message.

For me the interesting development will be the RB usage.  A close look at what happens with Fournette,  Does the Cook debacle get him demoted.

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Post 13 seconds all I wanted was a Rams type sell out. I could easily handle mediocre for a few years post Super Bowl. I think some people would be ok if the team moves as long as we win one lol. 

What a dilemma that’d be! Great poll question: win Super Bowl and move, never win it and never leave, or let it all play out (reality). 

5 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

The issue for me is the apparent accusation, from what's been said, that Josh didn't think he was doing the best thing for the franchise over the close season. Looking after himself was a key component, and I'm sure he felt it was the right thing heading into the season, considering what he (and the rest of the franchise) went through last year, plus his injury which may... or may not... been aggravated since.

Now, he could be in a spiral and unable to see a way out of it. Maybe McDermott thinks a short sharp shock, like sacking the OC, will work. Let's hope he's right and it doesn't send him spiralling further if so.

I understand what McD is doing, and don’t get me wrong, I’m not the greatest McD supporter in fact I hope we move away from him. It’s clear that Allen is mentally not there and he’s attempting to reign him in. It’s a last ditch effort and if it doesn’t work, he’s likely looking for another job anyways. 

I’m actually quite disappointed, Allen is a gifted QB and to see such mental hang ups is concerning. 

Edited by Araiza Curse

Just now, Araiza Curse said:

I understand what McD is doing, and don’t get me wrong, I’m not the greatest McD supporter in fact I hope we move away from him. It’s clear that Allen is mentally not there and he’s attempting to rein him in. It’s a last ditch effort and if it doesn’t work, he’s likely looking for another job anyways. 

I’m actually quite disappointed, Allen is a gifted QB and to see such mental hang ups in concerning. 

I agree, Josh is struggling mentally. I'm not sure if it's the case that he's uncontrollable though. If he was uncontrollable he'd be doing his own thing on the field, and forget the play calls. He even went out of his way to say he was making the plays as called after the Pats(?) game.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

To add on, a lot of talk about Allen being lazy at times, as a guy whose been critical, there is definitely nuance. 

I don’t think he’s lazy, I think he just needs to be better in certain areas. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I agree, Josh is struggling mentally. I'm not sure if it's the case that he's uncontrollable though. If he was uncontrollable he'd be doing his own thing on the field, and forget the play calls. He even went out of his way to say he was making the plays as called after the Pats(?) game.

I think Allen would be doing himself a huge favor if he started consulting some hof QBs and coaches after this season and maybe even going to see a sports psychologist. Sit down and learn all the nuances to the point it becomes instinctive. He’s overthinking way too much, to the point where he has to make himself throw up and making bad decisions on the field. It’s always amazing watching old Brady and Manning clips in how effortless they made it on the field, and it’s because they were mentally obsessed with the game of football. Allen is way more athletic and talented then both of those guys. There is zero reason why Allen can’t be the greatest ever, he just has to clear his head and learn the nuances of the game. 

Edited by Araiza Curse

Seems like Allen was all enthused when He was 70 % of the Bills Offense.

Allen leaping over players, going after linebackers,  on all the podcasts, Bills mafia had him as League MVP, all the highlight reels.

Then someone dare said "Hey, an NFL team needs to have a balance.  Need a running game.  (with running backs, can you imagine)

Oops, now are we seeing Allen for who is?

Bills fans still treat him as if He is a new player here.  He is a veteran.

The question is will Allen conform to  the team having a balance attack, and be a part of the Team rather than him being "The Team"?

A leader yes, but part of a TEAM.

• Eyeroll 1

16 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks for the reasoned response. I don't spend much time thinking about why McDermott does what he does. Having watched the results, it seems like an utter waste of my time. I firmly believe it is time for the Bills to move on. Not because I think the Coach is a bad person, or because I don't think he's in large part gotten them where they need to go, but I have learned from my own professional experience that people simply plateau. I believe McD has reached that plateau and is completely out of ideas. Could he take some time somewhere on a beach and have some sort of an epiphany? Sure....business leaders do. But where the Bills are right now in the arc of Josh Allen's career I'm not sure their better wouldn't be to move on and get someone who already knows what to do. Will it work? Maybe. Maybe not. But McD has shown my next to nothing in the past two or three years now that makes me think a personal epiphany is in the works.

Deek -

This is outstanding.  Thanks for taking the time to say that.  I understand it completely, and it is something that I've observed in people, as well.   Most everyone plateaus.   

In my own career, by several measures I plateaued at an identifiable level.   But having plateaued at some point, it didn't mean that my learning plateaued.   I continue to have developed as a human being, and accumulated more experience so that I began to understand things and accomplish things that I simply could not have done earlier.  I like to think I had some kind of wisdom.  

If you mean plateaued in the sense that the person will never get better, yes, there are people who just choose to mail it in, plenty of people who just get comfortable in their jobs.   However, McDermott is not one of those people.  McDermott makes himself get better.  He demands it of himself.   

I'm not saying I know what's right.   What you say certainly could describe the reality of McDermott and the situation, and what I say could be nonsense.  I tend to like my take better than yours but then, you tend to like yours.  

The real bottom line is that we pretty much all hope that Joe Brady is special, right out of the gate, and the Bills go 6-1 and stroll into the playoffs, led by their consensus league MVP.   What we all want to see is the answer to the real question:  What are you going to do now?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Says the team that has given Allen Diggs and scrap parts to throw to, a below average offensive line in his time here, and doesn’t allow him to run anymore. 

It’s not all on the Bills, I think Allen sounds strange now and looks weird on the sidelines, and has admitted to not working as hard as he can.

This team lacks playmakers, and the scheme has not been cutting edge.

So Allen is having to play death by 1,000 papercuts offense and getting grilled relentlessly about turnovers from his coach and media. 

This franchise has spent their money on defense. 

Invest heavily in the offense and I think Allen comes back. 

Greg Cosell last night with Farrar - the Bills are not a talented offense. They became predictable on offense. Stefon Diggs is a high level possession receiver. They don’t have a vertical component in their offense. 

All this with a strong armed QB that wants to make plays down the field.

And we sit here and scratch our head and say why can’t we score 30 every week? 

Allen is LeBron in Cleveland the first time around. 

Hey Josh here is a 1986 Camaro, now get out there win races. 

I agree with much of this.  You know that in the off season Allen talks to his dad, brother and maybe some other close confidants about how things are going in Buffalo.  I can't believe that the conversion doesn't steer into the territory that you call out:  the Bills not committing enough resources to the offense.  Particularly the O line.

How can Allen not look at what the other top contending franchises are doing to equip their franchise QB's with the tools to have a highly effective offense and wonder why not in Buffalo?  Consider division & AFC rivals Miami & Baltimore over the last 2 seasons.  Both have made comprehensive efforts to deliver to their QB's the best possible complimentary coaching & offensive talent.

Sure KC is struggling with inferior skill players like Buffalo but no one doubts that the Chiefs have a better O line and offensive coaching.  And is there any doubt that during the off season the Chiefs will move heaven & earth to resupply Mahomes with top end play makers?

Honestly, I can see why Allen looking at where the Bills have prioritized their resources since 2020 and not be a little depressed.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

And, just because it really bothered me, related to your number 4, other than getting a pre-snap read on the coverage scheme, why in the world did Dorsey have Diggs in motion all night long against Denver?   I think Dorsey thought he was being creative but, really?

Yeah and Dan Orlovsky did multiple nice break downs actually of how Dorsey had motion without purpose.  Which was a big issue in his eyes where we are motioning guys and then not using the information gained from the motion to attack the defense and would just simply run a play.  

And I think that was the heart of Dorsey's failures...he ran plays, not an offense.  He was a first time OC...he entered the job without having a proven offensive scheme and design.  It reminds me of writing a cookbook before you have cooked any of the recipes.   

Everything about our offense under Dorsey felt a lot more like a script than a fluid offense coaching, motioning, attacking, and adjusting to the defense in front of them.  When Dorsey was asked why he wasn't going to the up tempo offense earlier and more often, his answer to why he switches to a slow it down style was to "not be predictable".  Ironically, that might be the most predictable thing about him. 

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

To add on, a lot of talk about Allen being lazy at times, as a guy whose been critical, there is definitely nuance. 

I don’t think he’s lazy, I think he just needs to be better in certain areas. 

I just don’t understand why he basically can’t just go live with the Mannings or Brady over the offseason and just absorb all the info he can. Brady was the least athletic QB ever, but he always moved the chains, even with subpar WRs. Same with Peyton. Allen has the physical tools, but doesn’t have the mental tools. I feel like the mental aspect is more fixable than the physical aspect. 

1 minute ago, Araiza Curse said:

I just don’t understand why he basically can’t just go live with the Mannings or Brady over the offseason and just absorb all the info he can. Brady was the least athletic QB ever, but he always moved the chains, even with subpar WRs. Same with Peyton. Allen has the physical tools, but doesn’t have the mental tools. I feel like the mental aspect is more fixable than the physical aspect. 

Because there weren't excessive signs he really needed to last year? Were any of us sitting here in January going "Allen needs to go and live with Brady or Manning"?

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

food for thought that I hadn't considered before today

in a battle of wills that would eventually decide who stays and who goes, could Allen potentially lose out to McDermott?

This has a feeling of sarcasm to me, but hard to tell on here sometimes lol. 

Anyways, if that were to happen the Bills would officially win the award for dumbest franchise in a landslide lol

4 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Of course, it really is that easy ....

To most of us fans, it’s pretty clear what the issue is. Allen needs to get his head on straight and figure it out. He has the physical tools to be one of the greatest QBs to play the game. 

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Because there weren't excessive signs he really needed to last year? Were any of us sitting here in January going "Allen needs to go and live with Brady or Manning"?

The NFL changes and moves to play players differently. Most teams now play 2 high shell all the time. Allen has been struggling this year as teams play him differently. He needs to seek help figuring it out. 

Edited by Araiza Curse

1 minute ago, Araiza Curse said:

To most of us fans, it’s pretty clear what the issue is. Allen needs to get his head on straight and figure it out. He has the physical tools to be on of the greatest QBs to play the game. 

The NFL changes and moves to play players differently. Most teams now play 2 high shell all the time. Allen has been struggling this year as teams play him differently. He needs to seek help figuring it out. 

That's fair, but you said "Why didn't he do it before?" That's why. The 2 High Shell approach really seems to be something DCs have brought to the table this year. Josh isn't the only one to be struggling - I'm not sure if any QBs are lighting it up consistently this season. Perhaps that's part of the reason why Josh is still at or near the top on a lot of positive metrics, as well as obviously a couple of major negative ones.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.