McDermott weird comments about Josh Allen

HappyDays

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

I had a buddy at the game who texted me something similar. That Josh was just blasting heaters with little touch all night and making it tough on receivers. 

I think Josh’s arm strength, or lack of control sometimes makes it tough on receivers. It isn’t just how hard the pass hits, but it’s the timing from release to hitting a guy in the hands too. When throws are fast balls and a little bit late all the time it makes timing catches difficult. 

All that said, ball hits you in the hands, catch it.

You kinda have to "blast them in there" when your wrs aren't getting any separation. 

1 minute ago, beer can shower said:

Could it be McDermott realizes HE created a Quarterback that has to be reigned in?  (not referring to running.)

Would he like to look in the film room and now see Allen in there?

Wonder if HE regrets giving Allen the pick of the Team's OC.

Would McDermott have given Knox such a large contract if Knox was not Allen's buddy?

Would McDermott have to look twice if HE saw Allen working out in their Gym?

Is McDermott now realizing to himself that the only reason He signed Kyle Allen as the backup Quarterback because He was Allen's good Friend?

(BTW Kyle might be a great guy...but)

Wonder how McDermott feels when He sees Allen all offseason doing His "thing" (showing up at all the major golf tournaments, commercials, Hollywood, etc) and then comes to camp and still has issues with reading defenses but doesn't put in the work. Just utterances in the media of "putting in more work, more focus".

McDermott gave Allen the big contract and now wonders did He create "Holywood Highlight Josh" and let him do as he pleased with no accountability.

Input from your QB is surely  a good thing.  But this has been ridiculous.

McDermott gave Allen carte blanche and Allen took it and ran with it.  Did it result in a better team?  Or a cover on Madden?

I by no means am A fan of McDermott. 
He should be gone.
He has lost the Team a long while ago and certainly as pointed out  above, He may have created something with Allen that may not be able to be fixed.

Is He now capable of saying to Allen that He (McDermott) is in charge?

Bills need a Coach that has the final say, not catering to the whims of certain players.

McDermott is clearly in charge. Otherwise we wouldn't be seeing clear changes in the way Josh is playing; he would have told McDermott where to go and kept the running plays etc.

1 minute ago, beer can shower said:

Could it be McDermott realizes HE created a Quarterback that has to be reigned in?  (not referring to running.)

Would he like to look in the film room and now see Allen in there?

Wonder if HE regrets giving Allen the pick of the Team's OC.

Would McDermott have given Knox such a large contract if Knox was not Allen's buddy?

Would McDermott have to look twice if HE saw Allen working out in their Gym?

Is McDermott now realizing to himself that the only reason He signed Kyle Allen as the backup Quarterback because He was Allen's good Friend?

(BTW Kyle might be a great guy...but)

Wonder how McDermott feels when He sees Allen all offseason doing His "thing" (showing up at all the major golf tournaments, commercials, Hollywood, etc) and then comes to camp and still has issues with reading defenses but doesn't put in the work. Just utterances in the media of "putting in more work, more focus".

McDermott gave Allen the big contract and now wonders did He create "Holywood Highlight Josh" and let him do as he pleased with no accountability.

Input from your QB is surely  a good thing.  But this has been ridiculous.

McDermott gave Allen carte blanche and Allen took it and ran with it.  Did it result in a better team?  Or a cover on Madden?

I by no means am A fan of McDermott. 
He should be gone.
He has lost the Team a long while ago and certainly as pointed out  above, He may have created something with Allen that may not be able to be fixed.

Is He now capable of saying to Allen that He (McDermott) is in charge?

Bills need a Coach that has the final say, not catering to the whims of certain players.

Allen for sure has had a lot of pull around the facility and quite frankly he hasn’t earned that kind of adulation yet. He hasn’t won a Super Bowl. We need people in place that will light a fire under Allen and get him performing like a killing machine. 

Congratulations Allen, you got your buddy OC fired. That might be part of the reigning in process. 

• Vomit 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

You kinda have to "blast them in there" when your wrs aren't getting any separation. 

Or if the throw is late. 

I think Josh has away a gotten away with a lot of late throws/reads because of his arm strength. 

In general he has struggled on and off with regulating his arm. Early in his career his deep ball sucked because everything was on a rope.  

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Oh, yeah, there's plenty that I say that criticizes McDermott, but I'll admit that primarily I sound like a homer.   That's because what I generally do when thinking about the Bills is ask myself why Beane or McDermott might have decided to do what they did.   That's what I write about.   So, I look for the logic in the decisions that they make, rather than criticize what they did because I think they should have done something else. 

You can see that in what I wrote about the Cook benching.   I don't know whether it was the correct move or not, but I wrote that I could see why it made sense, why McDermott probably did it.   

And I don't bother to dwell on the negative.   In the past couple of days, if you go back and look at my posts, you will see that I say I agree with the idea that McDermott's teams have a lot of unsatisfactory game-ending events.  13 seconds, the penalty against Denver, Hail Murray.   There are a lot of them, and they tell me the team isn't properly prepared to win in those circumstances.   But my view about those things also is that everyone makes mistakes, and the measure of how good people are in their jobs is how they learn and respond from mistakes.   I continue to have confidence that McDermott will be a better HC five years from now than he is today.   I get that people disagree with that, some people who just are frustrated and what a change for change's sake, and some people who have some good reasons to believe that he'll always lose big games.   

Thanks for the reasoned response. I don't spend much time thinking about why McDermott does what he does. Having watched the results, it seems like an utter waste of my time. I firmly believe it is time for the Bills to move on. Not because I think the Coach is a bad person, or because I don't think he's in large part gotten them where they need to go, but I have learned from my own professional experience that people simply plateau. I believe McD has reached that plateau and is completely out of ideas. Could he take some time somewhere on a beach and have some sort of an epiphany? Sure....business leaders do. But where the Bills are right now in the arc of Josh Allen's career I'm not sure their better wouldn't be to move on and get someone who already knows what to do. Will it work? Maybe. Maybe not. But McD has shown my next to nothing in the past two or three years now that makes me think a personal epiphany is in the works.

Honestly Allen just needs to grow up. He was having so much fun years ago because there was no expectations from him and he could rely on his elite talents to be competitive. Now that there are expectations to win superbowls he tends to pout when he isn’t able to overcome the added pressure. 

Only way to fix that is by reigning in Allen and getting a hard nosed approach. Firing the OC was to send a message to Allen. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

That’s a good point. That hadn’t occurred to me.

In general I think you back Allen in this fight, and it isn’t really close at all.

But for the sake of this exercise let’s pretend it’s an Allen issue (it’s not) and look down the road. Unless McD hits on another QB in the next 3-4 years he’s likely out of a job because he failed the QB position. So even if you think you might have a guy who can play the position, then rally around the passer. It’s not like McD is Tomlin or Harbaugh. He hasn’t won a championship. 

Yeah exactly👍

Like I said before...this isn't exactly a Shanahan/Purdy situation. I think Staley for example would get laughed out of the room if he kept putting the blame on Herbert. 

I mean Tomlin for sure can get on Pickett when they're not clicking because 1 he's got the cache and 2 it's Kenny Pickett...but the way McDermott's been on Allen as of Monday night seems a little wild to me.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I think everyone sees it. Diggs is really just trying to drive this thing forward. I wish JA17 had Diggs’s tenacity. 

Agreed. Diggs seems like the only person taking things seriously sometimes. Allen has had way too long of a leash and he hasn’t been respecting the offseason like some of the greats have. Firing Josh’s pick of the OC was a clear message. 

5 minutes ago, Steptide said:

This all makes me think it's off the field stuff. I find it hard to believe McD would say "I have my thoughts on it" if it was something in house. If it was a football issue, I feel like McDermott would've gotten it corrected already. 

I think McD has been playing buddy buddy with Allen for to long, he gave him a long leash, allowed Allen to pick the OC. McD now sees that isn’t going to be a winning solution, so now he’s acting all hard nosed. I think that is why Allen has lost the passion for the game, because he’s away from the honeymoon period now and knows the leash has tightened. Frankly Allen needs to grow up and take things more seriously and get better. 

Edited by Araiza Curse

5 minutes ago, Araiza Curse said:

Agreed. Diggs seems like the only person taking things seriously sometimes. Allen has had way too long of a leash and he hasn’t been respecting the offseason like some of the greats have. Firing Josh’s pick of the OC was a clear message. 

I think McD has been playing buddy buddy with Allen for to long, he gave him a long leash, allowed Allen to pick the OC. McD now sees that isn’t going to be a winning solution, so now he’s acting all hard nosed. I think that is why Allen has lost the passion for the game, because he’s away from the honeymoon period now and know’s the leash has tightened. Frankly Allen needs to grow up and take things more seriously and get better. 

If he's lost his passion for the game, sneering "grow up" at him will probably not help.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeah exactly👍

Like I said before...this isn't exactly a Shanahan/Purdy situation. I think Staley for example would get laughed out of the room if he kept putting the blame on Herbert. 

I mean Tomlin for sure can get on Pickett when they're not clicking because 1 he's got the cache and 2 it's Kenny Pickett...but the way McDermott's been on Allen as of Monday night seems a little wild to me.

One thing that seems to be flying under the radar is that McD seems to want to get Allen going on the ground. 

At this point it just feels like the entire org is gripping too tight the last few weeks. If they could relax a bit, maybe find some flow, things would be better. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeah exactly👍

Not really that weird. The honeymoon phase is over. McD tried giving Allen a longer leash and it wasn’t working out. So now McD is trying to light a fire under him to take things more seriously. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Araiza Curse said:

So it’s been pointed out by SD14, McD, fans see it, OC fired. At what point does Allen realize that dedicating himself to football is the way out of the abyss. He seemed to like being Josh Allen when he was in the upper echelon circle of elite QBs. He can be that guy again if he puts on his big boy pants. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

If he's lost his passion for the game, sneering "grow up" at him will probably not help.

I’m not sure anything will help. Like Josh commented on how he took it personal that Dorsey was fired and that it hurt. There is something mentally off with Allen. He seems like a kid and doesn’t act like an adult. 

• Like (+1) 1

McD needs to go.  We are now going to hope he gets his 4th OC right - the best one he had somehow he managed to alienate and not build off what he had.  How?  

Who hired Dorsey?  Who made the final decisions?  McD thought Dorsey was a fit for Allen and failed.  

Who made the call to turn a QB with downfield DNA and the ability to throw the ball wherever he wants into Trent Edwards - he physically looks bored and disengaged playing EXCLUSIVELY that way. 

But that’s the offense they gave him.  Here is some Deonte Harty to do nothing and a little Trent Sherfield.  We’re going to also draft no WRs since the Diggs trade of any significance and disregard the RB position.  

The abandonment of the attacking down field offense featuring Allen runs and improvisation has been neutered and that is reason #2 why McD should be fired.  The colossal chokes, boneheaded mistakes in big moments, and getting beat in games by offenses not led by Mike White or Skylar Thompson is reason #1.   

I’m beyond done.  Spent a lot of time pondering all this from McD this week and the stuff being said and Diggs PC.  

The players have quit on him. 

Hope Brady works out I guess.  But my belief is it won’t because it’s McD.   

He’s forever going to be running from 13 seconds.  It’s unfortunate.  But…..you can’t f… up like that and not expect it all to unravel.  

Told you all this within 2 minutes of us losing to the Chiefs.  Fire Everyone I said.  

2 years wasted.  It better be for the best.  

Come on down Bobby Slowik or Ben Johnson.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thrivefourfive said:

So it’s been pointed out by SD14, McD, fans see it, OC fired. At what point does Allen realize that dedicating himself to football is the way out of the abyss. He seemed to like being Josh Allen when he was in the upper echelon circle of elite QBs. He can be that guy again if he puts on his big boy pants. 

It’s up to Allen to figure it out and find his center. The sooner he realizes it’s time to be an adult and get to work, the better for us fans. Allen clearly has the talents to be great, but to take it to the next level requires more than just talent. It takes obsession to win. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm sorry, but I can't help you with reading comprehension.  All I can do is repeat what I said:

Fumbling on the first play of the game means the player was not prepared to play.  If he's not prepared, he needs to sit and get himself prepared. 

Turnovers are different from drops.   Completely different. 

Fumbling on the first play after not fumbling since his first carry in the league.  27 games without another fumble until that point.  If you want to blame that on not be prepared for the game then fine.  But benching a player for a quarter and a half because of that seems a little excessive if you ask me after not having a fumbling issue until that point.

Turnovers are different than drops, you're right.

Gabe Davis: one drop that resulted in an INT and one fumble on the season (others would probably go after the times where Allen was picked off when he was targeted but I'm only going to blame him for when he had hands on the ball).

James Cook: 1 fumble lost and 1 fumble recovered on the season. 

Just now, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Wait a minute. 

So we paid our QB 250 million and he's not having fun ?

This sounds like a serious problem 

It is. But it all makes sense now. Allen always had time for kid practical jokes and purely relying on gifted talents. Allen is an elite QB, but it’s all between the ears with him. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.