Road to the Playoffs

steven50

16 minutes ago, Success said:

What are you trying to convince me of?

Are you looking for me to give up?  To say that we have zero chance w/ 8 weeks left in the season?

Convince you of?  Not really trying to convince you of anything.  Simply responding to what I consider to be flaws in your scenario analysis and logic.  

The odds of us getting in as a wild-card are all but nil.  For a Wild Card, the math most certainly does have to get insane.  

As to giving up, you'd have better hope that the new stadium is completed a year ahead of schedule.  "Giving up" is immaterial and irrelevant.  

We don't have zero chance.  Our chance is however directly linked to winning the division, and as stated, Miami given their schedule, isn't even remotely likely to finish 3-5, which is probably what it would take.  

How about simply beating the Jets first.  If we can't beat them fairly decisively, given our other losses, it's pretty unlikely we even win many more games at all.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Convince you of?  Not really trying to convince you of anything.  Simply responding to what I consider to be flaws in your scenario analysis and logic.  

The odds of us getting in as a wild-card are all but nil.  For a Wild Card, the math most certainly does have to get insane.  

As to giving up, you'd have better hope that the new stadium is completed a year ahead of schedule.  "Giving up" is immaterial and irrelevant.  

We don't have zero chance.  Our chance is however directly linked to winning the division, and as stated, Miami given their schedule, isn't even remotely likely to finish 3-5, which is probably what it would take.  

How about simply beating the Jets first.  If we can't beat them fairly decisively, given our other losses, it's pretty unlikely we even win many more games at all.  

Nothing I said in my post was delusional.  I said we had a slim chance, and that the math isn't insane yet.  It's not.

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Success said:

Nothing I said in my post was delusional.  I said we had a slim chance, and that the math isn't insane yet.  It's not.

That depends upon how one defines insane.  

We're one conference loss away from having no chance apart from running the table otherwise.  

That's pretty insane.

If Miami wins the division they're essentially zero.  

Bless your optimism though!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PBF81 said:

That depends upon how one defines insane.  

We're one conference loss away from having no chance apart from running the table otherwise.  

That's pretty insane.

If Miami wins the division they're essentially zero.  

Bless your optimism though!  

I played around with the NYT playoff machine last night during the Ravens and Bengals game. The Bills have a better chance than is being portrayed. I think a lot of the "slim" talk is their schedule more than anything. I found a scenario where we could go 10-7 with losses to both the Eagles and Chiefs and still get in as a wild card. We most certainly have to go 5-2 or better to make it happen but our playoff chances honestly are not as bad as they are made out to be 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

I played around with the NYT playoff machine last night during the Ravens and Bengals game. The Bills have a better chance than is being portrayed. I think a lot of the "slim" talk is their schedule more than anything. I found a scenario where we could go 10-7 with losses to both the Eagles and Chiefs and still get in as a wild card. We most certainly have to go 5-2 or better to make it happen but our playoff chances honestly are not as bad as they are made out to be 

LOL, well, that schedule does have something to do with it.  

What are the Vegas odds that we go 5-2?  Which is given our schedule.  

That would aid in defining whether or not that's insane.  

I have to think that ..., well, they're insane.  LOL

Or the odds that we get a Wild Card?  

Be a great prop bet with a huge payday.   ... or rather an insane payday.  😁

BTW, there are five teams currently seeded lower than we are.  We lost to two of them, and if a third beats is on Sunday they'll be ahead of us too.  

Let's revisit after the Jets game.  We're due one of our blowouts.  But if we do lose, I'm guessing that our chances would be all but non-existent.  

• Agree 2

w all the back up qbs for the teams ahead of us, and them playing each other, it seems like the raves will smash up their own division taking care of clevland, pittz, and cinci for us (they are all not great teams w their current injuries and pittz has to have its luck run out).

the texans and colts will likely have at least one fall down (i think colts), and the afc west honestly looks like kc and no body.

as bad and as dumb as we have been, we can keep up w miami and beat them last game for the division (which means we will likely have room to lose 1 maybe 2 more) and likely can land the 7th wild card if we are 10-7

if the d can continue to play above its station and not be asked for end of game stops, and the O can turn the super high efficiency stats into more points via removing the bad play (driver enders, turnovers, just a couple of those turned into FGs and we are winners) then we are in.

if this team can't make that happen then they need to make it happen next season with an entirely new front office.

13 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

According to PlayoffStatus.com, Buffalo does not control its destiny as of Monday night.  I may be mistaken in the belief that future victories by Buffalo would not elevate the team back into a situation where they can make the playoffs regardless of other teams' performances.

http://playoffstatus.com/nfl/billswhatif.html

Just perused this site. As others have noted, Bills need to go at least 5-2 for the rest of the year AND get some "help" from other teams. The fat lady isn't singing yet for the Bills, but she's in the studio, warming up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Beat the Jets this weekend and then go 2-2 or better over the next four @ Philly, @ KC, vs. Dallas and @ LA Chargers. That is all I ask. That would put us at minimum in the hunt with some help needed going into the final two weeks vs. New England and @ Miami. Just let us play some meaningful football past Christmas. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

According to PlayoffStatus.com, Buffalo does not control its destiny as of Monday night.  I may be mistaken in the belief that future victories by Buffalo would not elevate the team back into a situation where they can make the playoffs regardless of other teams' performances.

http://playoffstatus.com/nfl/billswhatif.html

Cool breakdown. So, at a final record of 10-7 the Bills have a 65% chance of making the playoffs. With the most likely way of making it being winning the division (38%) and wild card seed 6 or 7 combining for 27%.

I think the last couple slots will have worse records than people think. 

Right now we just need those other 5-5 or even 6-3 teams to beat themselves up. We may need some to win one week, then lose the other. It's actually pretty likely they will. I'm not a believer in the Steelers, nor Browns w/ a rookie QB. 

Of course, tough to trust the Bills. Too sloppy too many turnovers. I give us better odds than the 30%, but not good odds. 

Very interested in Miami. 8 games left, and winter is coming. @ Balt tough game. Players who struggle to stay healthy, but a soft home dominated schedule. 

Yet If Bills can beat them, definitely 3-4 potential losses on their schedule. ( Balt , Dallas, Buff) 

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Cool breakdown. So, at a final record of 10-7 the Bills have a 65% chance of making the playoffs. With the most likely way of making it being winning the division (38%) and wild card seed 6 or 7 combining for 27%.

It was me with the erroneous conclusion earlier that the Bills would be unable to regain a playoff berth, once they had lost any control of their playoff chances after Monday's game.

7 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Just perused this site. As others have noted, Bills need to go at least 5-2 for the rest of the year AND get some "help" from other teams. The fat lady isn't singing yet for the Bills, but she's in the studio, warming up.

Here's the most frustrating thing for me. 

This year all the other perceived "SB contenders" are struggling in some form. KC may still be 7-2, but they are flawed and beatable IMO. Cincinnati is struggling due in part to Burrow injury, but largely because their defense is bad. We know about Buffalo's issues, obviously. Jets lose Aaron week 1.  Without key injuries and poor output from the offense this should be the year that the Bills took over and walked into the Super Bowl. Had they won the games the really had no business losing (Jets without Aaron, Pats, Denver) the season is much different. Now they have a tough road.

This is leaving the door wide open for a team like Baltimore or, yes even Miami to swoop in.

Now, IMO there is STILL a path to the Super Bowl, but everything has to go just right. We would need good playoff matchups (Miami and KC, Yes...Baltimore NO) and Brady has to get the offense humming quickly. Not impossible, but unlikely everything plays out just right.

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Here's the most frustrating thing for me. 

This year all the other perceived "SB contenders" are struggling in some form. KC may still be 7-2, but they are flawed and beatable IMO. Cincinnati is struggling due in part to Burrow injury, but largely because their defense is bad. We know about Buffalo's issues, obviously. Jets lose Aaron week 1.  Without key injuries and poor output from the offense this should be the year that the Bills took over and walked into the Super Bowl. Had they won the games the really had no business losing (Jets without Aaron, Pats, Denver) the season is much different. Now they have a tough road.

This is leaving the door wide open for a team like Baltimore or, yes even Miami to swoop in.

Now, IMO there is STILL a path to the Super Bowl, but everything has to go just right. We would need good playoff matchups (Miami and KC, Yes...Baltimore NO) and Brady has to get the offense humming quickly. Not impossible, but unlikely everything plays out just right.

Maybe in the AFC but the Eagles look really strong. With the Niners getting healthy they look like they will be back on track as last week suggests. The Cowboys are also a strong team but not as consistent as Philly. In the AFC it's the Ravens conference to lose IMHO. The Dolphins aren't swooping anything unless they get to play cupcakes in the playoffs. Bad teams don't make the playoffs. The fish may win a WC game but most likely they will be one and done.

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

LOL, well, that schedule does have something to do with it.  

What are the Vegas odds that we go 5-2?  Which is given our schedule.  

That would aid in defining whether or not that's insane.  

I have to think that ..., well, they're insane.  LOL

Or the odds that we get a Wild Card?  

Be a great prop bet with a huge payday.   ... or rather an insane payday.  😁

BTW, there are five teams currently seeded lower than we are.  We lost to two of them, and if a third beats is on Sunday they'll be ahead of us too.  

Let's revisit after the Jets game.  We're due one of our blowouts.  But if we do lose, I'm guessing that our chances would be all but non-existent.  

I know the schedule has something to do with it but it's not like we are the Patriots playing these teams. On our game, we are better than any of the teams ahead of us for a wild card. We can definitely go 5-2. I think we beat the Jets this week and I do think we beat the Cowboys, Chargers and Patriots as well. So either we can get 4 straight wins tp end the year or we snag one of the Chiefs or Eagles games. Either way, the 20% chance we have to make it right now is more schedule than anything. We are good enough to beat those teams. We have to stop beating ourselves and we get in

Edited by Buffalo03

54 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Maybe in the AFC but the Eagles look really strong. With the Niners getting healthy they look like they will be back on track as last week suggests. The Cowboys are also a strong team but not as consistent as Philly. In the AFC it's the Ravens conference to lose IMHO. The Dolphins aren't swooping anything unless they get to play cupcakes in the playoffs. Bad teams don't make the playoffs. The fish may win a WC game but most likely they will be one and done.

I agree with everything but the bolded. It really feels like somehow the balance of power shifted and the NFC is the tougher deeper conference. 

I take the narrative that the Dolphins can only beat bad teams with a grain of salt. All their losses to tough opponents were road games where the noise does play into hurting their offense. It's a flaw that can hold them back. However if they can somehow secure the one or two seed and play at home in the playoffs they can make a deep run. 

• Like (+1) 1

When the Bills have been in the underdog role they always seem to play better when the focus is elsewhere instead of on them . I hope that same mind set will set in & they come around to play like we know they can & pull off one of the come back stories of the century !! 

GO BILLS !! 

Mathematically, the Bills are obviously still in it.

I actually saw that if we beat the Jets and the Cardinals beat the Texans, we could slide back into the #7 spot this Sunday.

The teams above us will be playing each other a lot over the next several weeks (especially the AFC North), so many of these teams are bound to drop-off.  The recent injuries to Deshaun Watson and Joe Burrow could also play a big factor on how things play out.

Of course the biggest factor is the Bills own schedule, and taking care of the business in front of us.  Our remaining schedule includes possibly the two best teams in the league on the road (Eagles and Chiefs), a first place team seeking revenge (Dolphins), another Top 10 team (Cowboys), an underperforming roster with a strong offense (Chargers) and two teams that have already beaten us (Jets, Patriots).  Absolutely brutal.

The Bills need to go at least 5-2 in the final run.  And even then, it's possible the tiebreakers don't work in our favor.

Very hard to see it happen, considering this team's last several weeks saw losses against the Patriots and Broncos, and us barely scraping by the Giants and Bucs.  Some of the worst teams in the league here.

49 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I know the schedule has something to do with it but it's not like we are the Patriots playing these teams. On our game, we are better than any of the teams ahead of us for a wild card. We can definitely go 5-2. I think we beat the Jets this week and I do think we beat the Cowboys, Chargers and Patriots as well. So either we can get 4 straight wins tp end the year or we snag one of the Chiefs or Eagles games. Either way, the 20% chance we have to make it right now is more schedule than anything. We are good enough to beat those teams. We have to stop beating ourselves and we get in

What's the name of the stuff that you're drinking?  

Is it available online?  

:D 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Mathematically, the Bills are obviously still in it.

I actually saw that if we beat the Jets and the Cardinals beat the Texans, we could slide back into the #7 spot this Sunday.

The teams above us will be playing each other a lot over the next several weeks (especially the AFC North), so many of these teams are bound to drop-off.  The recent injuries to Deshaun Watson and Joe Burrow could also play a big factor on how things play out.

Of course the biggest factor is the Bills own schedule, and taking care of the business in front of us.  Our remaining schedule includes possibly the two best teams in the league on the road (Eagles and Chiefs), a first place team seeking revenge (Dolphins), another Top 10 team (Cowboys), an underperforming roster with a strong offense (Chargers) and two teams that have already beaten us (Jets, Patriots).  Absolutely brutal.

The Bills need to go at least 5-2 in the final run.  And even then, it's possible the tiebreakers don't work in our favor.

Very hard to see it happen, considering this team's last several weeks saw losses against the Patriots and Broncos, and us barely scraping by the Giants and Bucs.  Some of the worst teams in the league here.

5-2 could get us there, but we’re going to need a game like Cardinals/Texans to go our way … and that has not been happening this year. 

6-1 has to be the aim.. and the hope for that is we catch fire with Brady at OC and the offense finally plays with, not just a renewed sense, but confidence.   

It’s amazing what confidence can do for an athlete. 

• Like (+1) 1

Burrow and Watson out helps us a ton. Even if Burrow is out for only 2 weeks that would sink the Bengals. They are in the same position as us (zero margin for error). I could easily see the Browns finishing with 9 wins, and the Bengals finishing with 8-9 wins now.

This leaves the Texans, Steelers, Colts and Raiders as our peers right now. Those teams are not very good…Bills have actually performed better than the Steelers IMO, they are just amazing at winning 1 score games while looking terrible apparently.

This thing is wide open if we can get our heads out of our rears. 9-8 isn’t even impossible (but it would be hard with tie breakers).

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

What's the name of the stuff that you're drinking?  

Is it available online?  

:D 

Lol. You are severely underestimating what we CAN do and how the playoff picture CAN play out. You brought up teams below us that beat us. As in the Broncos and Jets? The Broncos have a worse shot at the playoffs than we do and the Jets? We play them again this week. We have the head to head on the Raiders and if you are seriously worried about those teams, you are insane. The Browns are without Watson. They will drop. The Colts are the Colts with Gardner Minschew, they aren't going anywhere. The Bengals? They could be without Burrow for a while and have a tough schedule. The only teams I would keep an eye on is The Steelers and Texans. We are better than some teams in front of us. If you don't think so, I don't know what else to tell you

Edited by Buffalo03

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

5-2 could get us there, but we’re going to need a game like Cardinals/Texans to go our way … and that has not been happening this year. 

6-1 has to be the aim.. and the hope for that is we catch fire with Brady at OC and the offense finally plays with, not just a renewed sense, but confidence.   

It’s amazing what confidence can do for an athlete. 

I'd be kind of shocked if 5-2 didn't get us there.

I think people are overestimating the strength & potential for wins w/ the teams that are ahead of us.  The wheels could fall off for any of them.  They kind of have for the Bengals already.  The Browns now have to go w/ a backup QB the rest of the way.  The Steelers are complete frauds and despite the wise words of Parcells, are NOT as good as their record. 

The Texans, who knows.  I can't dismiss what they've done - but rookie QB's have fallen off at times after hot starts. I remember when Mac Jones was the hype for much of his rookie season, then regressed significantly in December.

I think we need to take one of Eagles/Chiefs.  I could also see us losing a road game like the Chargers. The rest, obviously, we have to take care of business, including the Cowboys at home.

9 minutes ago, Success said:

I think people are overestimating the strength & potential for wins w/ the teams that are ahead of us. 

9-7 will likely get *someone* in.

The problem is, we currently lose every single tiebreaker.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

I think people are overestimating the strength & potential for wins w/ the teams that are ahead of us.  The wheels could fall off for any of them.  They kind of have for the Bengals already.  The Browns now have to go w/ a backup QB the rest of the way.  The Steelers are complete frauds and despite the wise words of Parcells, are NOT as good as their record. 

The Texans, who knows.  I can't dismiss what they've done - but rookie QB's have fallen off at times after hot starts. I remember when Mac Jones was the hype for much of his rookie season, then regressed significantly in December.

I think we need to take one of Eagles/Chiefs.  I could also see us losing a road game like the Chargers. The rest, obviously, we have to take care of business, including the Cowboys at home.

I don't see them going 5-2 the rest of the way.  I see 4-3 with losses to Cowboys, Chiefs and Eagles. I'm not sure that gets them in. They would need a lot of help. 

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

9-7 will likely get *someone* in.

The problem is, we currently lose every single tiebreaker.

9-8 you mean.  

Someone maybe, as you imply ,not likely sometwo.  LOL  

As you say, the odds of us getting a tiebreaker are closer to zero for us than for any other team, besides of course the Raiders, which we beat.  They have a tough schedule.  

Right now the entire AFCN is in the picture, ironically Cincy's currently the odd team out with Burrow's varying injuries.  Baltimore's good and would have to completely collapse to not make it, but Pitt and Cleveland both have relatively easy schedules.  Of the four 6-3 teams, they all have to go only 4-4 to hit 10 wins, obviously.  

Houston has 8 games left with a relatively easy schedule, 5-3 gets them to 10-7.   Indy at 5-5 also has a relatively easy schedule left.  

First things first.  Brady's getting thrown to the wolves here.  In our last three games vs. the Jets we've averaged 17.7 Points, 1-2/3 TDs, 17.3 1st-Downs, 177 Passing Yards, 288 Total Yards, and have had only 1 Passing TD in all three games.  

Any talk of playoff all but officially ends if we lose this game.  Saleh and the Jets appear to have our number.   If I watch the game it's going to be purely out of sheer morbid interest.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

9-8 you mean.  

As you say, the odds of us getting a tiebreaker are closer to zero for us than for any other team, besides of course the Raiders, which we beat.  They have a tough schedule.  

Right now the entire AFCN is in the picture, ironically Cincy's currently the odd team out with Burrow's varying injuries.  Baltimore's good and would have to completely collapse to not make it, but Pitt and Cleveland both have relatively easy schedules.  Of the four 6-3 teams, they all have to go only 4-4 to hit 10 wins, obviously.  

Houston has 8 games left with a relatively easy schedule, 5-3 gets them to 10-7.   Indy at 5-5 also has a relatively easy schedule left.  

First things first.  Brady's getting thrown to the wolves here.  In our last three games vs. the Jets we've averaged 17.7 Points, 1-2/3 TDs, 17.3 1st-Downs, 177 Passing Yards, 288 Total Yards, and have had only 1 Passing TD in all three games.  

Any talk of playoff all but officially ends if we lose this game.  Saleh and the Jets appear to have our number.   If I watch the game it's going to be purely out of sheer morbid interest.  

At MetLife they have these past 2 years. It's been a different story in Orchard Park.

26 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I don't see them going 5-2 the rest of the way.  I see 4-3 with losses to Cowboys, Chiefs and Eagles. I'm not sure that gets them in. They would need a lot of help. 

I mean, that's basically losing to every good team we have to face.

We're a good team that has been playing badly.  We're not a bad team hoping for breaks & miracles.

29 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

9-8 you mean.  

If nothing else, this recent frustration has made it clear who the fair weather fans are.  I was here for the Super Bowls, I was here for the drought, I was here for our recent success and I'll be here to the end.  I've never watched the Bills out of "morbid interest" but rather because they are my favorite team, not just a team I like to watch when it makes me feel good to say I root for a winner.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Gregg said:

At MetLife they have these past 2 years. It's been a different story in Orchard Park.

I would strongly argue that.  

While we scored more points, still only 20, last season at Orchard Park, than we did in either of the other two games, it was our worst offensive output game of the three.  

The Jets outplyayed us, 19 1st-Downs to our 14, 233 passing yards to our 130, 309 total yards to our 232, thier 8-for-17 3rd-Down converstion rate to our 2-for-13.  Also nearly a 10 minute time-of-possession.  That was with Mike White.  

We'll see.  I don't envision Pegula eating that extension, but if we happen to lose to the Jets at home, FUGLY's not going to be the word and will be understated.  

The fans at the game will openly revolt and sound like a booing chorus.  The two easiest games left on our schedule are the Jets and Pats, which have both beaten us, and I'm not sure which is worse, but I'd argue that the Jets are, but either way, if Denver was a must-win game, this one even more so.  I don't see how McD doesn't lose the team with a loss here.  

Let's see how it plays out first.  Maybe we'll win 41-13.   

Keep in mind that Saleh also has the Jets believing that they have a shot at the playoffs, and with a win vs. us it's a better shot than we have at that point.  Their remaining schedule isn't nearly as difficult as ours is.  

• Like (+1) 1

if bmore smashes up the afc north, and i think they will, it's indy, houston, and us in the running.  3 wc spots, so we have a decent shot there.

i think we make the playoffs via winning the division.  once again, we will have a road game in KC in the playoffs, and in the regular season.

kc has had a nasty d but pretty weak O.  if we score two passing tds vs the jets in a win, im declaring us back!

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I would strongly argue that.  

While we scored more points, still only 20, last season at Orchard Park, than we did in either of the other two games, it was our worst offensive output game of the three.  

The Jets outplyayed us, 19 1st-Downs to our 14, 233 passing yards to our 130, 309 total yards to our 232, thier 8-for-17 3rd-Down converstion rate to our 2-for-13.  Also nearly a 10 minute time-of-possession.  That was with Mike White.  

We'll see.  I don't envision Pegula eating that extension, but if we happen to lose to the Jets at home, FUGLY's not going to be the word and will be understated.  

The fans at the game will openly revolt and sound like a booing chorus.  The two easiest games left on our schedule are the Jets and Pats, which have both beaten us, and I'm not sure which is worse, but I'd argue that the Jets are, but either way, if Denver was a must-win game, this one even more so.  I don't see how McD doesn't lose the team with a loss here.  

Let's see how it plays out first.  Maybe we'll win 41-13.   

Keep in mind that Saleh also has the Jets believing that they have a shot at the playoffs, and with a win vs. us it's a better shot than we have at that point.  Their remaining schedule isn't nearly as difficult as ours is.  

I will say the Jets do treat the games against the Bills like their personal Super Bowl. But with Wilson at QB and G. Wilson questionable I don't see the Jets having a lot of success on offense either. Even if G. Wilson plays, I doubt he will be 100%. I expect a low scoring game this Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

If nothing else, this recent frustration has made it clear who the fair weather fans are.  I was here for the Super Bowls, I was here for the drought, I was here for our recent success and I'll be here to the end.  I've never watched the Bills out of "morbid interest" but rather because they are my favorite team, not just a team I like to watch when it makes me feel good to say I root for a winner.

Great for you! 

Football's not my life.  I have a family and interests.  So yeah, rather than dumping an entire Sunday afternoon to watch a bunch of garbage football, I'll quite happily do something that I consider to be more important with my time thank you!  

I root for a winner too.  Too bad that's not what McD's putting forth on the field here.  Maybe take that part of it up with him. 

Funny how football's a business, but the moment that the fans treat it like a business they get the business from people such as yourself.  

Have a great Thanksgiving, ... seriously!!!  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.