WRs in 2024 Draft

RyanC883

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not sure I knew at the time, but signing Von Miller appears to have been a huge mistake that’ll haunt the roster for some years to come. 

Put us back 5 years I’d say. Either he takes a paycut or we’re screwed for the next 2+ years 

terrible signing a 33 year old player that kind of money and for that amount of time. But I’m sore Beane did it because McDummy just had to have a difference making DE 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/14/2023 at 9:33 AM, NeverOutNick said:

This is a special WR class. I’d love Odunze the most if we can get him first round. A lot of good WR talent out there this year. Also really like that UNC kid, Walker and even though he’s not big, Franklin is a nice Diggs type WR. 

Odunze has to be the pick.

1 hour ago, mrags said:

If the Bills take a DL in this coming draft it means 2 things. 

1. McDermott is definitely still here. 

2. I will vomit 

Not in that order

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I don't watch much college ball.  Is Xavier Worthy the early pick or later pick for you?  

Who is your early and late pick?  Interested to see who forum members (who watch more college ball than me) pick.  

Yea thats no problem.

Obviously Marvin Harrison is the # 1 guy and I don't think anyone would argue that. I'd have to go back and watch a lot of other things but I would say the guy that I think is the most overhyped out of the "1st round guys" right now to me is Malik Nabers from LSU.

My very very early rankings without going back and watching video of guys is :

1. Harrison OSU

2. Odunze Washington

3. Coleman FSU

4. Walker UNC

5. Worthy Texas

I love a lot of WR's in this draft though so its not really a knock on Nabers I just think compared to others he's comparable or a little worse in my opinion. A guy I love that we could maybe get in the middle rounds is Antwane "Juice" Wells from South Carolina. Was much better as a junior than this season but he's been really banged up. Wells would be a great 3rd/4th round pick.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mrags said:

Don’t care 

I expect us to not have Hyde or Poyer back and White a big time question mark. While agree need to improve WR but as deep as draft is think I guy like Troy Franklin could fall to us in Round 2 and look at other spots in Round 1. 

Edited by The Jokeman

21 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I expect us to not have Hyde or Poyer back and White a big time question mark. While agree need to improve WR but as deep as draft is think I guy likeTroy Franklin could fall to us in Round 2 and look at other spots in Round 1. 

If we take a defensive player in round 1 I am going to puke 

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I said Xavier Legette, not DK Metcalf 😎

Yeah. I know who you said. I don’t follow college ball, so when I saw the name I looked him up and watched a few vids. I just don’t see him being special. Or particularly fast tbh. 

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

If we take a defensive player in round 1 I am going to puke 

Yeah. I know who you said. I don’t follow college ball, so when I saw the name I looked him up and watched a few vids. I just don’t see him being special. Or particularly fast tbh. 

People thought the same about Metcalf. That's why I mentioned him. He has the size and weight to play in the NFL. Didn't see many catching him. 

31 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I expect us to not have Hyde or Poyer back and White a big time question mark. While agree need to improve WR but as deep as draft is think I guy likeTroy Franklin could fall to us in Round 2 and look at other spots in Round 1. 

Yeah it's highly doubtful Tre, Poyer and Hyde are back. We rode 2 amazing safeties for as long as we could.  And Tre just ran into a world of bad luck.  Gotta get young, fast dbs.

8 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I expect us to not have Hyde or Poyer back and White a big time question mark. While agree need to improve WR but as deep as draft is think I guy like Troy Franklin could fall to us in Round 2 and look at other spots in Round 1. 

We definitely need a couple Safety’s via draft and/or FA

WR is # 1 need imo.  Don’t believe me?  What happens if Diggs gets hurt?  Are you going to run with Gabe as uou number 1?  Dude is barely a #3.  

our offense is broken.  Give us a WR that can take the top off the D, and that can run the whole route tree.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This is a good year to need a wide receiver

Keep in mind we don’t need to find a one

We need a two and if possible a three

15 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Odunze has to be the pick.

Not in that order

I would actually be shocker if it was the defensive lineman

We have made a lot of investments in that area, both defensive tackle and defensive end

The guys we have this year are actually playing very well

I felt like we kind of had a changing of the guard as far as how we felt about priorities whenever we took a Kincaid and Osiris I look for that to continue

Edited by John from Riverside

On 11/14/2023 at 12:07 PM, gonzo1105 said:

The WR class is incredibly deep. I fully expect the Bills to double dip that position with one early and another in the middle rounds. In that scenario I do not see Xavier Worthy from Texas which is who I would go with. 

Why isn't Xavier worthy? What did he do to make himself unworthy? Is there anything he can do to make himself worthy in your eyes? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Do not sleep on Jermaine Burton. He might be a bit of a head case (not sure) but he gets open. He is very quick and has great moves.

It is harder to rate Alabama receivers this season because the QB is at his best running the football. That said, Jermaine is a very talented kid. I'm not totally sure if he is ready to be a #1 receiver, however; I am all but certain that he would be an excellent #2.

Jmo.

17 hours ago, mrags said:

If the Bills take a DL in this coming draft it means 2 things. 

1. McDermott is definitely still here. 

2. I will vomit 

Excellent!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

Too soon for this crap!

why?  It's not giving up on the season.  It's identifying a need (WR) and seeing who people on this board like.  Informs who to watch as the college season kicks into its final leg.  

3 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

You don’t get a star quality WR, just a ‘make do’, unless you lose em all.

So, no need for this thread, if we still want them to win them all! 

Which is it?

why not win it all, and then move up to draft a Davis replacement who can in turn replace Diggs in a few years?  Or see who is available when we pick?  

5 hours ago, Pete said:

We definitely need a couple Safety’s via draft and/or FA

WR is # 1 need imo.  Don’t believe me?  What happens if Diggs gets hurt?  Are you going to run with Gabe as uou number 1?  Dude is barely a #3.  

our offense is broken.  Give us a WR that can take the top off the D, and that can run the whole route tree.  

bingo, this!!

I think safety can be found via FA easier (most cost effective) than WRs.  Heck, Poyer and Hyde are both FA acquisitions.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/14/2023 at 12:07 PM, gonzo1105 said:

The WR class is incredibly deep. I fully expect the Bills to double dip that position with one early and another in the middle rounds. In that scenario I do not see Xavier Worthy from Texas which is who I would go with. 

Welcome to Cincinnati Mr Worthy now that Burrow is done...walking in as a replacement for Tee Higgins...SMFH how they luck into 1st round WR's like this.

• Agree 1

On 11/16/2023 at 5:36 PM, gonzo1105 said:

Yea thats no problem.

Obviously Marvin Harrison is the # 1 guy and I don't think anyone would argue that. I'd have to go back and watch a lot of other things but I would say the guy that I think is the most overhyped out of the "1st round guys" right now to me is Malik Nabers from LSU.

My very very early rankings without going back and watching video of guys is :

1. Harrison OSU

2. Odunze Washington

3. Coleman FSU

4. Walker UNC

5. Worthy Texas

I love a lot of WR's in this draft though so its not really a knock on Nabers I just think compared to others he's comparable or a little worse in my opinion. A guy I love that we could maybe get in the middle rounds is Antwane "Juice" Wells from South Carolina. Was much better as a junior than this season but he's been really banged up. Wells would be a great 3rd/4th round pick.

Good list.

Coleman is my guy.  Doubt he'd make it to where we draft, unless we fall completely apart.

He checks alot of boxes, I'm seeing a more consistent George Pickens type weapon.

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This is a good year to need a wide receiver

Keep in mind we don’t need to find a one

We need a two and if possible a three

I would actually be shocker if it was the defensive lineman

We have made a lot of investments in that area, both defensive tackle and defensive end

The guys we have this year are actually playing very well

I felt like we kind of had a changing of the guard as far as how we felt about priorities whenever we took a Kincaid and Osiris I look for that to continue

I agree. It took him 5 years, but McB finally realized you must build around Josh.  We can more than function next year with a rotation of Oliver, DQ and Joseph.  Phillips, Settle & Ford are gone.  We must replace Count Dropulous with someone like Odunze.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2023 at 10:36 AM, Special K said:

This is a guy to keep an eye on in the mid rounds....a real McBeane type player, and they should already know a little bit about him when they were scouting Dalton Kincaid.

If you have an opportunity to watch a Utah game, check this kid out.

DeVaughn Vele WR Utah

From Draft Diamonds:

Player Summary:

DeVaughn Vele is a 5th year junior wide receiver who was a walk-on in 2019. He possesses elite size and good experience, having played 33 games during his time at Utah. Vele is a rare athlete who exhibits rare playing speed, explosion, and toughness. Whether the play is a run or pass, Vele is playing fast, often running a downfield route when there is a pass play called. Vele plays most of his snaps on the perimeter. He has not shown versatility as a slot receiver. This makes his production poor because the Utah offense features a passing game that targets the middle of the field, specifically the tight end position. Perimeter receivers are used to open the middle of the field and/or be a 2nd and 3rd read in the quarterback’s progression. At 6-5 210 lbs, Vele has a rare catch radius and exhibits average quickness and COD. His releases at the LOS versus all defensive back techniques is rare. He has rare acceleration and route running that allows him to separate from the defender. Vele sees the football field well and is able to put himself in the vision of the quarterback in open windows in the defense and fit correctly on defenders in the running game. Vele’s greatest quality is his blocking. He is an elite and willing blocker. His size gives him an advantage versus corners, safeties and some linebackers. You will often see Vele sprinting 15-20 yards downfield to block a defender. 

I am glad to see someone post this. As a Ute fan I really like this kid. May not be the fastest WR in the draft, but his size, hands and ability to get open are all major strengths.

There are always hidden gem WRs who drop to later rounds. Look at Puka Nacua, drafted in the 5th round. It seems a lot of these guys from out West don't get the attention/respect that those from other conferences like the SEC do. Look at Steve Smith, another Ute went in the 3rd round. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, chongli said:

This recent CBS mock by Josh Edwards has us passing on Odunze and taking Laiatu Latu (Edge) at 13:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-mock-draft-seattle-makes-a-change-at-quarterback-five-wide-receivers-taken-in-the-first-round/

Would we really pass on Odunze?

I would be furious! RO would be amazing as a number 2 and could be Diggs replacement as a number 1 eventually 

4 minutes ago, Dubie54 said:

I am glad to see someone post this. As a Ute fan I really like this kid. May not be the fastest WR in the draft, but his size, hands and ability to get open are all major strengths.

There are always hidden gem WRs who drop to later rounds. Look at Puka Nacua, drafted in the 5th round. It seems a lot of these guys from out West don't get the attention/respect that those from other conferences like the SEC do. Look at Steve Smith, another Ute went in the 3rd round. 

I agree but it’s so much riskier. Gabe Davis has been a great 4th round pick. But there’s a reason he went in the 4th and we see it with how inconsistent he is.

we need a stud plus who knows with Diggs. Receiver is a huge need.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, chongli said:

This recent CBS mock by Josh Edwards has us passing on Odunze and taking Laiatu Latu (Edge) at 13:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-mock-draft-seattle-makes-a-change-at-quarterback-five-wide-receivers-taken-in-the-first-round/

Would we really pass on Odunze?

If Eppy and Floyd are gone and they resign Gabe, I see that as a definite possibility.

Let’s hope not ‘cause Josh needs someone else out there catching the ball. As of late, and I hate to say or see this, Kincaid is about the only sure thing out there. Diggs has made plays here or there but something isn’t right. Gave is still Gabe and Cook has had some howlers. Don’t think drafting a WR is a sure thing at all but you at least need to try and get him someone else. 

Maybe they do it via FA instead? Mike Evans, Pittman Jr., Calvin Ridley, Curtis Samuel and Tyler Boyd are hitting the market. Not a bad bunch, not great either. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.