DORSEY FIRED, Joe Brady Interim OC

Process

2 minutes ago, npeartisgod said:

Actually, IMHO, it was Dorsey who has SO clearly changed JOSH's game this year. It has been a thing of misery to watch week after week. Josh had fun ONCE last night; when he was allowed to RUN into the end zone. He was happy, and the team was happy...Soooo short lived though...

Josh is a wild stallion who owner tried to turn into a race horse so races could be run.

He reminds me of Dan Marino who was a great thrower but a terrible QB since he could only throw.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DapperCam said:

Edge rusher is also a big hole if Miller doesn’t return to form and we elect to not re-sign Epenesa.

We have Rousseau, Jonathan, and Miller signed for next year.

True, but there are solutions around as you mentioned. I'm giving AJE and Floyd some of the money that was going to Tre, Poyer, etc.

At CB, we can get by with Douglas and Benford, but Douglas is already up there in years, and could possibly shift to Safety.

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes but Josh did not listen to him.  He tried to have a controlled game and Josh continued with risky high yield throws.

Reminds me of Brett Farve - gunslinger.

Then Dorsey either could not or did not want to control Josh. And, with the cap set how it is etc., then there's only going to be one fall guy at this stage.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I mean, look at what a joke "mesh" has become even among the Cover1 analysts that it's a huge deal when it actually manages to work (against a crappy Tampa Bay Defense). Yet we still force it. With more horrible results last night.

For examples beyond that, you're more qualified to find them than anyone else here so it shouldnt be too hard.

I know what the concepts are that we've thrown interceptions on and they're all different. The only similarity is the area in which the interception occurred. People like to throw around statements on here as if they're fact, but when asked to back those statements up can't - or are unwilling to. There's so much misinformation on this board because people just see something and run with it whether it's true or not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, npeartisgod said:

I'll just ask it out loud. Did JA actually get some girl pregnant and his GF found out? Is THAT why that playoff game sucked so BADLY?! I know it was a hot rumor, but has it actually been substantiated?

No, it's all BS. It's boring in Buffalo and this is what the fans up there do in their free time.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 34-30 said:

Is this what its about...having fun?

For JA it is. every QB is different with a distinct style. When JA is having fun  -- look I know he's a grown ass man paid to do a job, but by "fun", I mean getting out of hid head and ENJOYING the game and just letting things roll with his immense talent; he gets the team on a roll.

You can feel it. Mock if you want, but when JA is free to just PLAY the GAME he loves, there is a palpable difference in the product.

• Agree 1

Just now, HoofHearted said:

I know what the concepts are that we've thrown interceptions on and they're all different. The only similarity is the area in which the interception occurred. People like to throw around statements on here as if they're fact, but when asked to back those statements up can't - or are unwilling to. There's so much misinformation on this board because people just see something and run with it whether it's true or not.

But the conversation wasnt around Interceptions. The quote you responded to asking for examples was regarding Dorsey insisting on running plays and concepts that consistently fail.

4 minutes ago, npeartisgod said:

I'll just ask it out loud. Did JA actually get some girl pregnant and his GF found out? Is THAT why that playoff game sucked so BADLY?! I know it was a hot rumor, but has it actually been substantiated?

That doesn't explain why everyone else was off. Unless they all met this barmaid and didn't know who was the father.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I'm not going to pretend that the players aren't without some blame here, but to me it's tiny in comparison to the coaching staff.  

A not insignificant amount of Dorsey's playcalls never worked, and he kept hammering those same calls every game!  He was incapable of self-evaluating and saying "well this play hasn't worked for the guys on the field".  Maybe the plays are awesome for a different set of players or a different QB, I don't know, but I do know that Josh has had similar interceptions for the past few games in a row and Dorsey would stubbornly go right back to them. It's beyond frustrating. 

Allen's "I'm executing the plays as called" is very telling. 

@DrDawkinstein I must be a terrible reader.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As it should be. It's absolutely the biggest hole on the roster. Except maybe Safety. But find someone that can pull double duty the first year if need be.

We can still take a WR in the 2nd round. Which would still be by far the highest pick we've used on actually drafting a WR (not including the 1st for Diggs).

Douglas seemed to have a good game last night.  Benford had been good.  Corner may not be the highest priority.  Safety is a bigger problem.  I’d like to see Rapp do more, but Poyer and Hyde are toast I hate to say.

If Diggs is gone after this season, WR would be the highest priority.

6 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Question is - does Beane stay on and is he the one who fires his partner? Or does Pegula fire them both? Does Pegula have the ballz to do that? I'm skeptical.

Don’t know.

Does Terry revel in the accomplishment of breaking the drought and building a contender that never finished its business?

We shall see.

Just now, boater said:

So what do we know about Joe Brady? 

After all, he was the QB coach when the QB lead the league in interceptions. He was the QB coach when the QB zoned out on the bench.

He may have been part of the problem.

He was also fired as OC after only one year in NC.

He was also Joe Burrow's OC  at LSU.

1 minute ago, npeartisgod said:

If you were at that game, as I was, you'd have sensed it. Something was WRONG in paradise. Maybe it was just a shite day for the team, but it was NOT the Bills we had watched until then...

There was a lot wrong with the mental makeup of the team. You did not sense that "Josh's fiance found out about him knocking up a waitress". You sensed that the team was emotionally exhausted, not having any fun, had been for weeks, and the coaches not only couldnt pull them out of it, but couldnt even get them prepared for the game to be wearing the correct cleats!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, npeartisgod said:

What happens off the field can affect what happens on the field.

2 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

@DrDawkinstein I must be a terrible reader.

Ha, fair enough. I was focused on the originally bolded parts of "and he kept hammering those same calls every game!  He was incapable of self-evaluating and saying "well this play hasn't worked for the guys on the field""

1 minute ago, npeartisgod said:

For JA it is. every QB is different with a distinct style. When JA is having fun  -- look I know he's a grown ass man paid to do a job, but by "fun", I mean getting out of hid head and ENJOYING the game and just letting things roll with his immense talent; he gets the team on a roll.

You can feel it. Mock if you want, but when JA is free to just PLAY the GAME he loves, there is a palpable difference in the product.

So he's throwing it to the other team and fumbling because he isn't free to play how he wants? He has more turnovers than games played.  And we wonder why coaches are trying to hold him back a bit?

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

I don’t even hate the blitz call.  Wind shifted, the kicker could hit from 55, and I objectively feel like Taron turned his head on the PI and that the call was marginal.  It just didn’t work out our way.  Or maybe it did, but we screwed it up by failing counting class.  Whatever.  The result is the same.  Another game frittered away. 

I was thinking the same thing - if we went into Frazier-mode people would be losing their minds we let them get in FG range being passive.  The problem is more how terrible our blitzers are at getting to the QB - guess you could blame the DC for that

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Question is - does Beane stay on and is he the one who fires his partner? Or does Pegula fire them both? Does Pegula have the ballz to do that? I'm skeptical.

The GM has no say in HC/Coaching decisions.

The HC reports directly to Terry. The GM reports directly to Terry. It was the same for Whaley and Rex. This is how Pegula structures his operation.

(Personally not a fan)

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree... with a qualifier.  

I'd say that Allen is a top-tier QB with the right coaching. 

I think Allen would set records under Andy Reid, for example.  But I don't think every NFL HC or OC would know how to optimize Allen's strengths while minimizing his weaknesses.  

The guy has scored more touchdowns than any other quarterback on the planet since 2019.

He's led his team to more wins than anyone aside from Mahomes during that time frame.

If that's not top-tier QB play, what the hell is?

Edited by Wayne Arnold
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I know some felt this would be a desirable OC landing spot, but is it really? You want to attach yourself to McD right now? He has a history of releasing coordinators and he's on his way out the door. No sane OC would take this job. I agree we needed to move on, but I don't see what I just outlined as not being the state of the union. 

1 minute ago, 34-30 said:

So he's throwing it to the other team and fumbling because he isn't free to play how he wants? He has more turnovers than games played.  And we wonder why coaches are trying to hold him back a bit?

I think the thought process is that he's thinking too much pre and post snap, and overcomplicating things so his fundamentals suffer?  

Either way - whatevers going on with him is definitely mental.  There may be some physical limitations with the injured arm, but thats not causing him to make the majority of his mistakes.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

Interesting firing given last night's O performance. The O's play was more lack of execution rather than poor playcalling.  maybe what got Dorsey fired was the fact that he didn't go with the run game until the last drive; that and the cumulative poor performances of the O in previous games.

Brady will run the same system -- you can't change systems mid-season. Hopefully he will learn from what happened to Dorsey and call better plays.

It will be interesting to see if we continue to go shotgun under Brady. Shotgun helps Josh make quicker reads. We'll see if they stay with it or go under center on passing plays.

Our running game was surprisingly very effective last night. I don't know how proficient the Broncos are against teh run. I do know that our O line is not good enough to run consistently against the better DL teams.

They are terrible against the run. You won't see our backs play like that when we face the Jets.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The GM has no say in HC/Coaching decisions.

The HC reports directly to Terry. The GM reports directly to Terry. It was the same for Whaley and Rex. This is how Pegula structures his operation.

(Personally not a fan)

I have 0 faith in Pegula choosing the right head coach for this franchise.

None. Zip. Zilch.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I know some felt this would be a desirable OC landing spot, but is it really? You want to attach yourself to McD right now? He has a history of releasing coordinators and he's on his way out the door. No sane OC would take this job. I agree we needed to move on, but I don't see what I just outlined as not being the state of the union. 

Gee so maybe they can just promote from within again.

4 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

None. Zip. Zilch.

This is why Beane should stay and be the one in charge of hiring a new HC. 

Edited by Gregg
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

It is if you feel like you could be made the next HC. 

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

None. Zip. Zilch.

He chose McDermott on his first "real" try.

The good news is, unlike Hockey, Pegula knows he is in over his head with Football/NFL and wont be doing the search himself. He hired consultants to identify candidates and used that service, and some advice from Whaley, to choose McD.

I'm confident that same service and Beane can find someone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I'd argue McD makes it even more attractive since he is on the hot seat and the next logical step would be promoting a successful OC to HC.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I was thinking the same thing - if we went into Frazier-mode people would be losing their minds we let them get in FG range being passive.  The problem is more how terrible our blitzers are at getting to the QB - guess you could blame the DC for that

He called a successful blitz and they sacked Wilson, taking the Broncos out of FG range. The problem was that on the very next play he called a Cover Zero blitz and left Taron Johnson on an island by himself with Jerry Jeudy, Denver's fastest WR. All Wilson had to do was toss up the ball, wait for Jeudy to stop his route, and have Johnson crash into him. The refs are calling that INT 99% of the time, weak or not. Asinine play call there by McDummy.

• Agree 7

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.