Bears CB Jaylon Johnson Requests to be Traded

ExiledInIllinois

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

He will fetch a first plus, if traded at this point. Plus a very big contract. I don’t see the Bills doing that. 

Agreed, bug you can’t count on Tre playing for the Bills again.  Bills are in need of a #1 CB long term.  Benford is a cost controlled good #2 CB for next 3 years.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

If San Francisco wants him he will be a 49er…. They have a ton of picks and plenty of cap space this year. Not so much next year.

Plus Johnson is a California kid and I’d say it’s a 85% chance he goes to San Francisco.

Yea SF is the team I would not want to be competing against in this scenario.  

Both teams are good enough to win a championship but SF always worries about Tomorrow, Tomorrow.  I dont think they would even blink at giving a 1 and a huge contract if they think he is what they are missing.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Agreed, bug you can’t count on Tre playing for the Bills again.  Bills are in need of a #1 CB long term.  Benford is a cost controlled good #2 CB for next 3 years.  

I agree in principle. A replacement for Tre is needed ASAP. He isn’t going to  get back to the player he was and I don’t think we will see him in a Bills uniform again. The Bills might be able to work a trade - and let’s face it, even first round CBs don’t always work out (obviously). So it’s not about the draft capital so much as it is about the contract. I don’t know how the Bills manage to add a top of market CB contract at this point. 

Edited by BarleyNY

26 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

He will fetch a first plus, if traded at this point. Plus a very big contract. I don’t see the Bills doing that. 

We're about to have to draft a CB in the 1st next year anyways. Might as well get a guy who we know can play.

We should also be freeing up a bunch of CB money by releasing Tre.

Git r dun :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

How about shipping out Elam and a second rounder? This guy is a zone corner and the Bears don't want to pay him because he's weaker in man coverage than zone. Can we restructure Tre here? Johnson definitely wants top-10 money in an extension.

https://beargoggleson.com/posts/jaylon-johnson-requests-trade-chicago-bears-grant-permission-nfl-deadline

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Yea SF is the team I would not want to be competing against in this scenario.  

Both teams are good enough to win a championship but SF always worries about Tomorrow, Tomorrow.  I dont think they would even blink at giving a 1 and a huge contract if they think he is what they are missing.  

San Francisco’s cap space for 2024 is basically gone. What they have this year is already spent next year, that’s why Lynch GM said they don’t want to spend the cap this year.

But 49ers have 3x 3rd round, 2x 4th and 3x 5th round picks for 2024.  

Johnson saying trade me is basically saying I’m not coming back next year so get what you can. First round pick is not happening, maybe multiple 3rds, one in 2024 and one in 2025.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

If tre is off the books next year, Bills have the need and future cap space.  Only way I see this happening though is if Bears want Elam.  Can’t see Beane using a 1st round pick on another corner which is what it will take if Bears don’t want Elam.  

I can, since it is by far our biggest need, and Beane has never shied away from making double picks.

At least, he better.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He needs an extension before next season 

Depends what price you pay. 

But also not hard to craft something cap friendly with this to work from. Could easily work w a low base in year 1 and 2. 

The notion he wants out and is asking out damages his value because he is basically saying he won't resign w his current team. 

The bottom line is Tre is easily in unpredictable status for his future, Dane is a UFA, and Elam appears to be on the out. 

We need a CB and it makes sense to add a good one. 

6 minutes ago, Dunkirk Donski said:

He's not a "process" guy.  Hard pass for McBeane

Well Norman has been a pain several times. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree in principle. A replacement for Tre is needed ASAP. He isn’t going to  get back to the player he was and I don’t think we will see him in a Bills uniform again. The Bills might be able to work a trade - and let’s face it, even first round CBs don’t always work out (obviously). So it’s not about the draft capital so much as it is about the contract. I don’t know how the Bills manage to add a top of market CB contract at this point. 

I agree with you.  Beane is a creative cap guy and if they really want Johnson, I think Beane will make it happen.  The salary cap will likely go up again, they can kick some of Allen's salary down the road, if you're right about Tre White - they can  save cap space by cutting him.  If they trade for Johnson, it'll impact some players that they may have wanted to re-sign.  The CB room is a mess right now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dunkirk Donski said:

My friend is a cleaner inside the building.  Not much going on today. 

Beane better be in the secret laboratory with his sleeves rolled up and empty Mountain Dew bottles around him or I’m done with this team. My next step is a “I’m leaving the boards forever!” thread. 

Maybe that’ll get their attention! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Am I missing something?

Wtf are folks talking about w his contract? Seems workable. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jaylon-johnson-47645/

It’s the extension that’s the issue. The MV Spotrac shows obviously does not account for his play this season. He’s gotten better every year and will get a deal in the top 10 CBs. 

46 minutes ago, BillsDad51 said:

Will Bears favor shipping him to AFC or will best offer win? Might not matter as he is likely a 2023 rental.

Da Bears are not competitive at all.  They will take the best deal.  By the time the Bears are relevant (if ever) their fans will not care about this trade.   I doubt Beane will be willing to give up much for a rental. 

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

First plus on last year of contract?  Only if teams had chance to negotiation extension ahead of time and it would have to be an agent team really, really trusted.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We're about to have to draft a CB in the 1st next year anyways. Might as well get a guy who we know can play.

We should also be freeing up a bunch of CB money by releasing Tre.

Git r dun :thumbsup:

Like the Stefon Diggs trade. I’d be on board if the cap dollars can work and the contract isn’t in Denzel Ward territory 5/$100M. We will still have to account for Tre at $10.4M (though that could be spread over two seasons). If the contract is more in the $13M-$15M AAV range, then I am a lot more interested. 

1 minute ago, juno999 said:

I agree with you.  Beane is a creative cap guy and if they really want Johnson, I think Beane will make it happen.  The salary cap will likely go up again, they can kick some of Allen's salary down the road, if you're right about Tre White - they can  save cap space by cutting him.  If they trade for Johnson, it'll impact some players that they may have wanted to re-sign.  The CB room is a mess right now.

They will have to restructure Allen as well as others regardless. The impact of a contract like this would be felt somewhere. Not everywhere, but somewhere. The more I look at the numbers the more I see how it is workable. But the Bills are at a point where they are making budget constrained decisions. CB is very good place to spend so I can see them choosing to do so. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.