Elephant in the room. Damar Hamlin

JohninMinn.

23 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

He dressed for a game and had a special teams tackle too I think. I know that day the crowd was fired up seeing him. He’s also a great teammate from what everyone says. Why cut him when you know he can play in a pinch? When Hyde and Poyer were out last year, he made some plays and was decent. 

18 total snaps on ST this year. All in 1 game… Miami.

Like you said, think he’s not bad for being in a pinch. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, NoName said:

Hamlin was a 2nd string safety last year and was mostly active,  this year he is a 3rd string safety and mostly inactive.  Rapp basically took his spot and Hamlin was demoted

Going into last year Hamlin was the 4th S. Hyde and Poyer were of course one and two. But when I jury happened there it was Jaquan Johnson that had first dibs with Hamlin taking over after Johnson flopped. This year, Hamlin appears to still be the 4th safety.

Rapp is more an upgrade on Johnson. It's the development of Cam Lewis to cover every DB position as well as ST that makes it necessary to dress 3 true safeties. Now the argument may be made that Lewis has passed him at the S position, but that's really only fan speculation. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I thought Hamlin played pretty well least year when Hyde was injured.  I'm not sure where he's at post injury this year because he hasn't been on the field much.  That said to my eye Rapp has been terrible in coverage at times and Lewis is tiny so if we had an actual injury to Hyde or Poyer and Hamlin was still inactive I think that would be pretty telling.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

Hamlin was a 2nd string safety last year and was mostly active,  this year he is a 3rd string safety and mostly inactive.  Rapp basically took his spot and Hamlin was demoted

He was fourth last year too.  Jaquan Johnson was the third safety both he and Hamlin had to play and Johnson was so bad Hamlin jumped in.  Other than that I agree.  Hamlin is depth last year and this year.  It’s ok and there is no elephant.  

9 hours ago, Shemp said:

Anyone who has had his heart stop on the field should never be on an NFL roster again. Too risky.

This was thoroughly discussed in the off-season. The consensus of the medical professionals was that it was a fluke occurrence and the probability of it happening to him again is the same as the probability of it happening to anyone else. His risk is no higher than that of any other player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

16 negative reactions to this. Lol.

People are so soft. Nothing you said was wrong.

Congrats, you just got your first negative reaction.

It's not that people are soft, it's that he and now you are wrong. We got Rapp as a backup safety, and he's not wasting a roster spot.

On 10/27/2023 at 2:30 PM, hellofellowbillsfans said:

i swear we have the angriest fan base known to man. i think people just sit around all day and pick different random things to be angry at

If you think this then you should waste a few minutes visiting some other fan sites. They will be an eye opener.

21 hours ago, dpberr said:

I don't understand the *persistently* inactive players that are part of the 40-man roster like Alec Anderson and Germain Ifedi.  I understand that they make a salary and are part of the team, but you'd think they'd like a chance to actually play in football games, if not for the Bills, someone else.  

They're the next man up, it's a long ass season someone goes down and they're active. Beyond that Alec Anderson clearly has a shot at competing to replace Morse when he hangs it up soon. As for Ifedi, he's what two spots behind Spencer Brown, if there is an O-line position with any possibility of change it's that one.

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Hamlin was always a depth player. He was never guaranteed a roster spot.

Yes the only reason he played so much last year was because Hyde went out week 2 for the season, or until the Conference championship game 😭, and Poyer was more machine than man, this year so far none of that's the case.

17 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Congrats, you just got your first negative reaction.

It's not that people are soft, it's that he and now you are wrong. We got Rapp as a backup safety, and he's not wasting a roster spot.

But he is. He’s not a good football player. 

Sorry you value feel good stories over production. You’re just one of the soft ones like I correctly mentioned.

Edited by Jay_Fixit

11 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Sorry you value feel good stories over production. You’re just one of the soft ones like I correctly mentioned.

Yeah that, or, and hear me out on this, he is good enough to make the roster but isn’t good enough to play over the guys in front of him. Unless your against having guys on cheap rookie contracts that can fill

in when needed 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

He's the backup to a backup... what kind of "production" do you expect from the backup of a backup?

Get real... you're soft, but from the neck up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

how is it an elephant in the room?

and how many other oliphants are in the room for perspective and context / How big is this room actually ?

These are very real and relevant questions

I love elephants btw Very very under rated 

16 minutes ago, kota said:

Hamlin is a good story but Rapp is better period.

mmm  different types.  better  ? Jury is out still for coffees and knishes

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/28/2023 at 8:08 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Going into last year Hamlin was the 4th S. Hyde and Poyer were of course one and two. But when I jury happened there it was Jaquan Johnson that had first dibs with Hamlin taking over after Johnson flopped. This year, Hamlin appears to still be the 4th safety.

Rapp is more an upgrade on Johnson. It's the development of Cam Lewis to cover every DB position as well as ST that makes it necessary to dress 3 true safeties. Now the argument may be made that Lewis has passed him at the S position, but that's really only fan speculation. 

i was more so thinking j Johnson was 2nd string FS and Hamlin was 2nd string SS last year.  But seems like I was wrong,  thanks for the info

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.