Week 7: Buy, Sell, Trade

boyst

We pulled off a victory against the Giants. It wasn't pretty but now could be the time to thin critically on some of our players. By now you should know the drill. If not, then: The premise is simple. There is no value, there is nothing more than if the player was someone who you think will be trending up or succeeding this week to want to buy, if they'll be going the other way and you want to sell them for whatever (remember sometimes selling high is a good thing), and holding just means you want to keep this guy on your list because you think there is something there.

Me?

Buy: OL They seemed to have a rough week but still seem like a solid unit. Against Belichick and what he can do on defense maybe I want to believe they will be able to hold up more than reality. But, I am on the OL train this week.

Sell: Taron Johnson. Sell while the value is high! Tesla, Boeing, all of that. He had an amazing game and I want to cash in on everyone wanting some of him.

Hold: Cook. I could sell him. I don't know that he will be utilized and succeed as much as he did earlier this season. I hope I am wrong but I do not see this week being a week he will flourish. Murray has been playing well taking the ball out of his hands, too.

edit

for those new to this, the thread is a weekly thread (when I remember) often on Wednesdays that treats the players, the position, or about anything in the NFL as a stock, if you will. It's nothing more, nothing less.

so for example, if you thought Elam sucks donkey but could have a decent game you could want to buy. Or if you think James Cook is going to be losing carries to Murray, and you don't think Cook will continue to have an influence like earlier in the season you could sell. Saying this doesn't automatically mean you hate the player or want them to be traded, released, or bludgeoned.

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

Buy: The Bills freshman and sophomore linebacker combo is going to be just fine. Terrel Bernard ALREADY looks the part. Dorian Williams shows flashes of insane athleticism and great instincts. He's green, yes, but I think he's gonna be a good one. Suddenly the "unnecessary" drafting of a Will linebacker in the 3rd round doesn't feel so unnecessary.

Sell: The notion that Kaiir Elam is a bust and can't play good NFL football. I'm not saying he's a world beater, but whenever he has a few consecutive weeks to get on the field and get his feet wet, he shows steady improvement. He had a few beats against the Giants, but he also had some good plays. Guess which ones get highlighted and talked about more?

Hold: Ken Dorsey is a good offensive coordinator. There are weeks -- Vegas, Washington, Miami -- where he looks like a top five play caller. There are weeks -- London, SNF -- where his scheme looks static, unimaginative, and slow to adapt. The Bills being the 3rd ranked scoring offense points to Dorsey being a pretty good play caller. The misuse or under-use of guys like Harty and Kincaid suggests that he doesn't maximize his personnel. Dorsey is a bit of a Rorschach right now, and I'm eager to see what his next three weeks against good defenses, and after two straight bad games, will look like.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Buy:  Kincaid - Guy is going to have a breakout game this weekend, including first TD.

Sell:  Diggs - Belichick going to force Josh and the Bills to find other ways to attack the Pats on Sunday.

Hold:  Von - May start to show some signs of life against Mac Jones or whoever else is thrown our way.  But still not returning to normal Von levels yet.

• Like (+1) 2

On a side note here. I just finished listening to Joe Marino. He was really buying the idea of the Bills acquiring Hunter Renfrow. The guy was absolutely a Beasley type of receiver before McDaniels refused to play him. The guy can really run routes and create separation. 

What do you guys think? Joe is a really smart guy. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you really want to sell something, give away these games in Europe.  Playing surfaces aren't great for football (look at injuries), quality of the games are not good, home team fans lose a game, and teams that don't have a bye the following week have crap games.

Hunter Renfrow would be a great addition but will not likely be made available at a decent price.

• Vomit 1

Buy:

Latavius Murray. Murray actually got the start last week and had a 50/50 snap share with Cook. Plus he gets the majority of the goal line work. And now with Harris down for who knows how long I expect him to absorb Harris's small snapshare as well. He's going to have some big games down the stretch.

Sell: 

I'm not making any sales this week. I'm going to hold what I have until I see if Dorsey figures out the Offensive lull they're in. After last week, I would say there isn't much that is at it's peak right now anyway. I'll ride it out.

Hold:

Ken Dorsey. Coaches get paid to identify and fix problems. Time to see if Ken will earn his money. 

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

On a side note here. I just finished listening to Joe Marino. He was really buying the idea of the Bills acquiring Hunter Renfrow. The guy was absolutely a Beasley type of receiver before McDaniels refused to play him. The guy can really run routes and create separation. 

Has Joe looked at Hunter Renfrow’s salary cap hit?

• Like (+1) 1

Buy: Jordan Poyer. He has quietly shaken off some of the early season rust and has played solid ball. I feel like an INT is coming his way and Mac Jones could be the provider this week. 

Sell: Dorian Williams. Not out on him long term or anything but if any coach in the league knows how to take advantage of over aggressive young linebackers who haven't quite nailed their drops then it is Bill Belichick. 

Hold: Dalton Kincaid. If he is healthy this could be a decent matchup for him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

Buy - Dorian Williams ... He's making some rookie mistakes mixed in with some nice plays, I think he'll improve weekly.

Sell - Von Miller ... Just to get rid of his contract.

Hold - Josh Allen ... He has looked great in 3 games and below average in 3 games, get your isht together man.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Buy:

Latavius Murray. Murray actually got the start last week and had a 50/50 snap share with Cook. Plus he gets the majority of the goal line work. And now with Harris down for who knows how long I expect him to absorb Harris's small snapshare as well. He's going to have some big games down the stretch.

Sell: 

I'm not making any sales this week. I'm going to hold what I have until I see if Dorsey figures out the Offensive lull they're in. After last week, I would say there isn't much that is at it's peak right now anyway. I'll ride it out.

Hold:

Ken Dorsey. Coaches get paid to identify and fix problems. Time to see if Ken will earn his money. 

I like your statement on Dorsey. He needs to fix problems!

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Buy: Jordan Poyer. He has quietly shaken off some of the early season rust and has played solid ball. I feel like an INT is coming his way and Mac Jones could be the provider this week. 

Sell: Dorian Williams. Not out on him long term or anything but if any coach in the league knows how to take advantage of over aggressive young linebackers who haven't quite nailed their drops then it is Bill Belichick. 

It's easy to overlook Poyer. He has been so good for a long time but he is still doing it well!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Renfrow has a pretty big cap number, Bills don’t have the space to make it happen.

• Thank you (+1) 1

BUY: Stefon Diggs. Always the primary focus of the passing game, but this year he's averaging 11 targets a game & has had 5 x 100 yard receiving games through 6 weeks. Last year he averaged 7 receptions, 98 yards & 1 TD against the Pats, and I expect that to continue.

SELL: My mental health & sanity. I was hoping for a Giants beatdown to cleanse the pallete & be confident going into this divisional game, but now I'm oddly worried about a terrible 1-5 team, as a loss could see us drop to 3rd place in the division! Just the possibility that the freaking Zach Wilson Jets could be 4-3 after this week (they're playing the Giants) with a tie breaker over the Bills makes me way too uncomfortable! 

HOLD: Ken Dorsey. Yeah, the offense hasn't looked amazing the last 2 weeks, but he's better than those performances indicate. On-field execution matters too, and we've seen many dropped passes that otherwise would've moved the chains & extended drives. We've also seen stupid penalties negate other plays or simply put us in more difficult positions overall. Let's hope this week we're firing on all cylinders.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You wanna sell Taron Johnson I don’t think there’s a laughing while vomiting emoji available yet but this post definitely earns one. 

The idea of selling high is lost upon so many.

And so many here weigh in with opinions without the understanding of this thread. It's weekly and it's opinion. That's all

Edited by boyst

Sell Diggs: Sell high and get some high draft choices. A team in win now mode will likely be interested. It will hurt to lose him. He still has a couple of good years left. Perfect sell high player. 

Buy Torrence: He looks to be a staple on the oline for years to come. Finally brings some toughness and physicality to the team.

Hold Kincaid: Unproven thus far due to not being utilized. Can you imagine this guy in a dynamic offense like the 49ers? I think he has the skills to be very good. Dorsey just has to unleash him. Not sure it happens though. 

Time to move on from McD and Dorsey after the season. It's time for a change. The Bills need new blood and a dynamic innovative coach to get this team to reach it's potential.

Ben Johnson would be a welcomed addition. 

Edited by newcam2012

6 hours ago, boyst said:

We pulled off a victory against the Giants. It wasn't pretty but now could be the time to thin critically on some of our players. By now you should know the drill. If not, then: The premise is simple. There is no value, there is nothing more than if the player was someone who you think will be trending up or succeeding this week to want to buy, if they'll be going the other way and you want to sell them for whatever (remember sometimes selling high is a good thing), and holding just means you want to keep this guy on your list because you think there is something there.

Me?

Buy: OL They seemed to have a rough week but still seem like a solid unit. Against Belichick and what he can do on defense maybe I want to believe they will be able to hold up more than reality. But, I am on the OL train this week.

Sell: Taron Johnson. Sell while the value is high! Tesla, Boeing, all of that. He had an amazing game and I want to cash in on everyone wanting some of him.

Hold: Cook. I could sell him. I don't know that he will be utilized and succeed as much as he did earlier this season. I hope I am wrong but I do not see this week being a week he will flourish. Murray has been playing well taking the ball out of his hands, too.

So let me get this straight - we've lost Tre White for the season. Christian Benford has been playing banged up. Kaiir Elam is underperforming. And now you want to trade away our solid Nickel CB?

'the hell?

Buy - Bills offense - there value has never been lower. After an infuriating two weeks of viewership, this seems silly at face value. When you get into the film a bit, listen, read or review information, it does start to seem like “funk” is a much better way to describe their current state than “broken.” 

Considering the drops, fumble, missed FGs, poor OL performance, etc…it looked like a perfect storm. I fully expect this team to find their stride again soon. 

Sell - Dorian Williams - As encouraged as I am regarding his play, I’m not going to allow the hype to swoop me off my feet. His stock with many is on the rise, which is why I’d move him. He seems decisive and finds his way to the ball, but always a step behind and has had his fair share of missed tackles. I think he’ll be enough at WLB but I’m okay parting with that to maximize my value. 

Hold - Von Miller - Guy is catching a ton of flack. I’m hanging tight. Future HOFer recovering from a major surgery. Easy to get down on his limited snaps and production, which scrutinizing his every move, but I’m not betting against this man. 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

So let me get this straight - we've lost Tre White for the season. Christian Benford has been playing banged up. Kaiir Elam is underperforming. And now you want to trade away our solid Nickel CB?

'the hell?

If you've not been along for the ride of this whole concept going back years, I get it.

The whole concept isn't about trading away players, cutting them or doing anything then putting them as shares like a stock.

If I owned shares of Taron I'd be wanting to sell them now to buy into something else. 

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

If you've not been along for the ride of this whole concept going back years, I get it.

The whole concept isn't about trading away players, cutting them or doing anything then putting them as shares like a stock.

If I owned shares of Taron I'd be wanting to sell them now to buy into something else. 

Gotcha.

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

5 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

If you really want to sell something, give away these games in Europe.  Playing surfaces aren't great for football (look at injuries), quality of the games are not good, home team fans lose a game, and teams that don't have a bye the following week have crap games.

Hunter Renfrow would be a great addition but will not likely be made available at a decent price.

3 hours ago, Beast said:

Has Joe looked at Hunter Renfrow’s salary cap hit?

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Renfrow has a pretty big cap number, Bills don’t have the space to make it happen.

Buy: Hunter Renfrow from the Raiders

Sell: Sam Martin, time to bring back Araiza

Hold: Kincaid like always :wub:

• Like (+1) 1

Buy:  Dorian Williams.  Kid looked good last week.  I think he's just going to get better with experience.  Great opportunity here.

Sell:  I keep putting Sharty here, but I'm shifting to Sherfield.  These guys combined have done nothing for the Bills.  Complete waste of money and roster spots.

Hold:  Latavius Murray.  Dude is nails on tough runs.  He'll get the ball when we're in the Red Zone.

Buy - Harty...(Man, that's hard to say). If any game this season he plays well, I think it'll be this one. Lil' Dirty played well against the Pats,  it's time for him to show better than who he replaced. Earn your freaking keep! (Damn penny stocks!) 🤣

Hold - Diggs. Bill is going to have a plan to try and take him away from Josh. He'll still get some targets, but will be a rough game for him.

Sell - Oliver. Without DJ next to him and a toe injury , I think the Pats go right at him with Elliot and Stevenson. This game is going to test our LB'S. 

Edited by LyndonvilleBill

8 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Buy - Harty...(Man, that's hard to say). If any game this season he plays well, I think it'll be this one. Lil' Dirty played well against the Pats,  it's time for him to show better than who he replaced. Earn your freaking keep! (Damn penny stocks!) 🤣

Penny stock indeed. You're gonna lose your ass on Sharty, my friend. 

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

For this week, I agree with selling Dorian Williams going p against Bill Be;ichek for the first time.

I am a big believer in Dorian William long term, he had some great players last week (esp versus the  run) and some over pursuit in coverage.  I recall the first year of Edmunds vs Belichek, he seemed to design half the plays to go at and/or trick Edmunds.  I am very fearful we might see a repeat of that Sunday.

21 hours ago, boyst said:

I think his values extremely high, and I want to capitalize on it

I'm not sure I agree with the Taron Johnson sell. He's proven to be a game changer and the Bills defense would probably take a step back. He led the team in tackles In a bizarre comparison, to me it would be like selling Milano (a la Kiko Alonso - granted Kiko isn't in the same galaxy as Milano) 

I'm for selling Elam for just about anything LOL. All things being equal, however, he could learn behind Tre and even Dane Jackson and Benford.. Unfortunately the defense is not in a position to carry a CB that isn't up to snuff. I guess time will tell if Norman can pick up the slack. 

I'd be looking to buy a good OL vet who can play multiple positions equally well. 

16 minutes ago, SloanBillsFan said:

I'm not sure I agree with the Taron Johnson sell. He's proven to be a game changer and the Bills defense would probably take a step back. He led the team in tackles In a bizarre comparison, to me it would be like selling Milano (a la Kiko Alonso - granted Kiko isn't in the same galaxy as Milano) 

I'm for selling Elam for just about anything LOL. All things being equal, however, he could learn behind Tre and even Dane Jackson and Benford.. Unfortunately the defense is not in a position to carry a CB that isn't up to snuff. I guess time will tell if Norman can pick up the slack. 

I'd be looking to buy a good OL vet who can play multiple positions equally well. 

the premise is not cutting him or doing anything more than treating him like a commodity, like a stock. if i had shares of him, i'd want to cash in on him.

10 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I totally understand your logic but it is way above the majority of posters heads here.

it's the impact of a win. 

all of the homers show up and defend everything. when we lose it is the entire burn it down crowd to run the show.

• Agree 1

On 10/18/2023 at 5:27 PM, strive_for_five_guy said:

Buy:  Kincaid - Guy is going to have a breakout game this weekend, including first TD.

Sell:  Diggs - Belichick going to force Josh and the Bills to find other ways to attack the Pats on Sunday.

Hold:  Von - May start to show some signs of life against Mac Jones or whoever else is thrown our way.  But still not returning to normal Von levels yet.

well done

• Thank you (+1) 1

Buy: Bills need a WR2. Gave Davis isn’t it. No one on this team is it. Go buy yourself a No2 WR for this offense come the trade deadline 

Sell: Selling Von Miller. He is done that is the reality in my mind right now. Should have shelved him for the season 6 snaps when you playing with a DL held today by duck tape. 3 weeks after being “given” your roster spot back. Now good enough. 

trade: Knox and Davis. Both will be good pieces to help in getting a legit No2 WR. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.