Dolphins @ Bills Postgame thread

djp14150

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Brady one hurts badly. At least Chubb was a solid young player when they acquired him. That move could still be productive. But that Brady one basically cost them a first round pick for nothing.

Oh yea that’s impossible to argue cuz the Brady tampering they lost a first for no return lol

chubb was such a weird trade though they are loaded with pass rushers…I think they thought they had a chance to mask their lb/cb coverage issues if they just brought the house often which gave them a path to playoff success but it just didn’t work out that way.  These great afc qbs are athletic and can buy themselves time which exposes all the issues on the back end of their defense

even if tua was healthy and they snuck by us there’s no shot they were beating the chiefs too that kc oline was too good last year. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Brady one hurts badly. At least Chubb was a solid young player when they acquired him. That move could still be productive. But that Brady one basically cost them a first round pick for nothing.

Meh.  Most years, “nothing” would be an average return for the Miami’s first round pick.

• Haha (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I just can’t understand why the dolphins didn’t look at what the jets are doing and try to emulate it.  The dolphins are 100% win now from a front office perspective but their team needs to rely on winning a shootout against josh Allen and the bills defense to win the division. their team is built completely backwards to compete with the top dogs in the AFC. Tua is not gonna win a shootout/track meet against mahomes or josh Allen.  If the bengals don’t get their offensive line turned around the dolphins match up pretty well with them at least because pretty much all they’ve loaded up with on the defensive side is pass rushers 

the jets could pick up a veteran qb for relatively cheap and they are at the same level of being a contender as the dolphins…it may be less fun to watch than what the dolphins are doing but who cares 

Truth.

They would have a boring as hell offense, but would drag most teams down to the wire where a field goal or broken play would win it.

A "W" is a "W" whether you win by 3 or by 40 points.

So a team can win with a strong defense and a boring offense that takes care of the ball.

Can be like watching paint dry unless you really like watching defensive games with hockey-like scores.

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

Meh.  Most years, “nothing” would be an average return for the Miami’s first round pick.

They could have traded the pick for a vet player, while they might have missed on the Chubb trade they definitely injected a lot of talent to their offense by trading a first for Hill. Just losing the asset for nothing hurts badly. 

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

They could have traded the pick for a vet player, while they might have missed on the Chubb trade they definitely injected a lot of talent to their offense by trading a first for Hill. Just losing the asset for nothing hurts badly. 

Oh yea I am definitely pro hill trade for them he’s a lot of what makes that offense work, it just took away a lot of their safety net if they missed on a few picks/trades and sped up the timeline on when their window of being competitive opened up.  I don’t think he’s a guy they’ll ever be able to replace and idk how long a burner wr can be at max effectiveness without losing a step. 

I think the jets were built in a way where they could get a couple years out of rodgers and draft a guy to take over and they’d be competitive longer than the dolphins.   of course who knows now with the rodgers injury they might fall into the infinite loop of drafting a qb and throwing them to the wolves with that bad offensive line 

42 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

This breakdown is fantastic (as always from Cover 1). If you want to see masterful scheming and execution against a "revolutionary" offense, watch this.

So pleased with the gameplan, the LB play (Milano is a beast but Bernard continues to surpass expectations), great pressure and communication. Wow.

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

22 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

This breakdown is fantastic (as always from Cover 1). If you want to see masterful scheming and execution against a "revolutionary" offense, watch this.

So pleased with the gameplan, the LB play (Milano is a beast but Bernard continues to surpass expectations), great pressure and communication. Wow.

Eichenberg's legs at 9:30ish yikes

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

OH MY GOSH, thanks for catching that. Wow. Pushed them around like our little brothers.

I am so glad to FINALLY have a defensive scheme that wants to hit somebody in the mouth. If we're gonna die I wanna die going forward and attacking not absorbing and waiting for the other guy to screw up. Go take their damn lunch money.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

DL wouldn't be able to see it. All the short motion outside is completely out of their view. It's possible an off-ball rusher could time those, but it turns into the same type of situation with the New England FG block that everyone was enamored with - as long as there is variation in it offensively it's not something you can time up.

Linebackers can though and we brought a lot of simulated pressure with linebackers blitzing and DL dropping it seemed like to me.  I’ve gotta watch the all 22 which I will be happy to do since there’s not much better than watching us blow out the dolphins 😂

that late sack absolutely seemed like a LB jumped the snap due to timing his rush based on the motion but maybe that was more of a one off thing and that one play stood out to me more than it should have though. Can’t remember who it was but they got a big time running start 

51 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

They absolutely tanked their rebuild with that trade and the Brady tampering.  Those two firsts could’ve gone a long way if used correctly 

the hill trade they traded pretty much all their wiggle room if they made a front office misstep for a great player 

If they added a linebacker that’s a beast in coverage and a good corner to play across from Ramsey Kohou could go back to the slot where he belongs and their defense would have a shot at being good 

I never understood the hype about Vic Fangio this offseason.

It really reminded me of us years ago, bringing in Rex Ryan to an extremely talented defense.  He was supposed to take us to the next level.  But his system never fit with the players on the roster, and it never meshed on the field.

43 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

It's not over for them.  They lose a 3rd rounder next year for the Brady incident AND a 4th goes to Denver for Chubb.

Miami is in worse cap space than the Bills next year and have Tua on his 5th year option along with a bunch of UFAs.

They got a lot of work to do to maintain what they have.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It's not over for them.  They lose a 3rd rounder next year for the Brady incident AND a 4th goes to Denver for Chubb.

Miami is in worse cap space than the Bills next year and have Tua on his 5th year option along with a bunch of UFAs.

They got a lot of work to do to maintain what they have.

They are reaching the tipping point of having to draft and develop players in order to maintain a good roster. And their roster is seriously flawed right now. Their defense is not very good despite having some pieces (Howard, Wilkins, Phillips and a few other good players) and they have a bad offensive line. Hill and Waddle are amazing, they appear to have found a very good RB in the draft this year, Mostert is also a good fit to add speed to their system and Tua when healthy executes that system really well. But they will need to get better along the offensive line and get better defensively in order to avoid losing shootouts consistently. 

They haven't had a strong draft class in several years so it remains to be seen how they can develop long term. I doubt if they add Tua on a sizable 40-50 million dollar contract they will be able to sustain any success beyond being a flashy 9-10 win team that gets bounced early. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Just ignore it and it will hopefulyl go away

None of the Bills are here. This may come as a surprise to some of us, myself included, but nothing we do here actually affects anything with the team. :P:P

So two years ago my jersey of choice was Tre…torn ACL.

The next year Poyer…injured.

Last year I bought a Rick Jeannerett jersey…he died.

This year I started Tre and look what happened.

With such a bad opener I switched to my RJ jersey. I figured that he is already dead what else could go wrong? 3-0 baby!

I used to think I couldn’t buy jerseys of anybody until they got extended. That wearing a QB jersey was a curse. But apparently I can’t wear jerseys until that person is dead. I’m basically a walking sports voodoo doll. 

• Haha (+1) 3

Just now, Mango said:

With such a bad opener I switched to my RJ jersey. I figured that he is already dead what else could go wrong? 3-0 baby!

I used to think I couldn’t buy jerseys of anybody until they got extended. That wearing a QB jersey was a curse. But apparently I can’t wear jerseys until that person is dead. I’m basically a walking sports voodoo doll. 

That's why I stick with classics for jerseys. Steve Tasker, Kyle Williams, etc. Can't jinx the player if theyre already retired!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

McD has this defense playing smart, fast, physical, and disciplined Defense. I think Frazier was a good coach but McD seems to have this defense playing with an edge I have not seen.

I also think this was the first week the offense played like a finely tuned machine.  I know we have scored a lot of points in the other games but this felt like the first game they played well start to finish.  Maybe it's just because it was Miami but good job Dorsey.

Milano is a beast and we are all going to be sad when it comes time for him to retire.  I'm heartbroken over Tre.  He was just becoming himself again.  I hope he can fight through this and come back next year.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

That's why I stick with classics for jerseys. Steve Tasker, Kyle Williams, etc. Can't jinx the player if theyre already retired!

You can’t effect their play but you can effect their life.

Exhibit A:

image.jpeg.f3ba401143ff8325bf8e986b64788eab.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mango said:

No Josh allen jersey for you until he retires!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

They are reaching the tipping point of having to draft and develop players in order to maintain a good roster. And their roster is seriously flawed right now. Their defense is not very good despite having some pieces (Howard, Wilkins, Phillips and a few other good players) and they have a bad offensive line. Hill and Waddle are amazing, they appear to have found a very good RB in the draft this year, Mostert is also a good fit to add speed to their system and Tua when healthy executes that system really well. But they will need to get better along the offensive line and get better defensively in order to avoid losing shootouts consistently. 

They haven't had a strong draft class in several years so it remains to be seen how they can develop long term. I doubt if they add Tua on a sizable 40-50 million dollar contract they will be able to sustain any success beyond being a flashy 9-10 win team that gets bounced early. 

Wilkins is one of the UFAs I talked about.  He will want his $20M per year.  Even guys like Van Ginkel will want the $s.

Miami's 2024 free agent list.  It's a big one.  They are $40M over the cap with these guys to sign/replace.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/miami-dolphins/

32 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I never understood the hype about Vic Fangio this offseason.

It really reminded me of us years ago, bringing in Rex Ryan to an extremely talented defense.  He was supposed to take us to the next level.  But his system never fit with the players on the roster, and it never meshed on the field.

Some coordinators seem to ride the coattails of really talented players for awhile then the league eventually learns their lesson and they stop getting jobs lol

at least with someone like McDaniel their offensive play design has been objectively great so you know what he’s brought to the table as a coach.  But some of these hirings around the league are real head scratchers at times 

it’s anecdotal but that Denver defense has imploded with fangio gone so who knows who’s to blame.  It’s possible he just inherited a defense not well suited to what he likes to do too or maybe a little bit of that and he’s also a bit overrated 

Xavien Howard is washed and he doesn’t have Ramsey yet so I’d think they’d improve a little bit later in the season at the very least.  Kohou got abused playing outside

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Wilkins is one of the UFAs I talked about.  He will want his $20M per year.  Even guys like Van Ginkel will want the $s.

Miami's 2024 free agent list.  It's a big one.  They are $40M over the cap with these guys to sign/replace.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/miami-dolphins/

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No Josh allen jersey for you until he retires!

I have one. But I don’t wear it ever. I only use it as my slump buster. And then it goes back. But I think after this last Tre injury it has to stay in the closet. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Mango said:

You need to start wearing a Mahomes jersey! 

• Haha (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Some coordinators seem to ride the coattails of really talented players for awhile then the league eventually learns their lesson and they stop getting jobs lol

at least with someone like McDaniel their offensive play design has been objectively great so you know what he’s brought to the table as a coach.  But some of these hirings around the league are real head scratchers at times 

it’s anecdotal but that Denver defense has imploded with fangio gone so who knows who’s to blame.  It’s possible he just inherited a defense not well suited to what he likes to do too or maybe a little bit of that and he’s also a bit overrated 

Xavien Howard is washed and he doesn’t have Ramsey yet so I’d think they’d improve a little bit later in the season at the very least.  Kohou got abused playing outside

I don't think the problem is Vic Fangio himself.

It's how his scheme fits the Dolphins roster (or should I say doesn't fit).

Very possible that we are witnessing a lose-lose situation.  Yes, the Broncos miss what Fangio brought to their defense.  But at the same time, his system is a poor fit for Miami's player skills.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, mjt328 said:

Very possible that we are witnessing a lose-lose situation.  Yes, the Broncos miss what Fangio brought to their defense.  But at the same time, his system is a poor fit for Miami's player skills.

I actually think their super aggressive defensive scheme of the last few years is far better than whatever we saw out there on Sunday. 

Just now, mjt328 said:

I could absolutely see that…he definitely came in and begged for a corner I’m sure which got him Ramsey. That dolphins defense isn’t really well suited for anybody haha I’m not sure what their front office has been doing on that side of the ball 

they’ve def gotten plenty of offensive returns on the tyreek trade but there were just so many holes on that defense.  Xavien Howard needed to return to form for them to have a shot at halfway decent but he’s been declining for awhile now 

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I actually think their super aggressive defensive scheme of the last few years is far better than whatever we saw out there on Sunday. 

Yea they certainly couldn’t have done much worse lol their corners are atrocious though so he was probably worried about them holding up if he kept adding pass rushers.  Dorsey definitely ate his lunch motioning diggs around to get him one on one with Kohou 

41 minutes ago, Mango said:

Can you please buy and wear either a Mahomes or Kelsey Jersey? Thank you in advance

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I could absolutely see that…he definitely came in and begged for a corner I’m sure which got him Ramsey. That dolphins defense isn’t really well suited for anybody haha I’m not sure what their front office has been doing on that side of the ball 

they’ve def gotten plenty of offensive returns on the tyreek trade but there were just so many holes on that defense.  Xavien Howard needed to return to form for them to have a shot at halfway decent but he’s been declining for awhile now 

Yea they certainly couldn’t have done much worse lol their corners are atrocious though so he was probably worried about them holding up if he kept adding pass rushers.  Dorsey definitely ate his lunch motioning diggs around to get him one on one with Kohou 

Not sure how much of a genius Fangio is if he needs like all-pros at every position on the field to make his defense work. 

we could have scored 70 points if he had to. They put up no real resistance. 

They literally played the defense I said they should. Probably the way most people would have said to play it. D-line push and get hands up. Get there with 4. Bang the receivers off the line. Bracket Hill. Take some chances in zone coverage. Jump a few routes. Get Tua to second looks. Be loud in the stands. And the execution was next level. Bills offense A+ Bills defense A+. I love this team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Not sure how much of a genius Fangio is if he needs like all-pros at every position on the field to make his defense work. 

we could have scored 70 points if he had to. They put up no real resistance. 

Oh he ain’t a genius by any means lol that was never in question.  Idk that I’d put the blame squarely on him is all I’m trying to say.  That defensive roster is bordering on inept  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.