Deshaun Watson keeping it classy

Virgil

44 minutes ago, mannc said:

When was the last time you saw an NFL QB called for one facemask penalty

A year or two ago Josh Allen picked up a blitzing Rams 'backer by the facemask and threw him at Leonard Floyd, then proceeded to stiff arm Aaron Donald and create enough space to throw it away and avoid a sack. :o

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

He’s a weird creepy dude and his arm strength was suspect before the 2 year layoff.  However I wouldn’t call that a ‘shove’ of the ref.  More like moving him aside.  But in today’s search for clicks, gotta sensationalize the headline.  Kinda like the Glab/Diggs ‘trash-talking’.  

It wasn't egregious, but you just don't put hands on the stripes.

Stick them in your waistband if you have to, but do not touch an official. Period.

1 hour ago, TFBillsfan said:

If I’m not mistaken doesn’t Watson’s contract cap hit jump to $40M next year? Currently, he doesn’t look anywhere near a top QB in the league.

That contract may go down as the worst in NFL history and will have major roster impacts for the Browns.

59 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

His decline actually reminds me of Cam Newton. 

Just evaluating Watson as a player, it's hard to believe that just one year off could cause that much decline in his game... and he's had plenty of time to shake off the rust... but he doesn't appear to be the same player.

He actually reminds me of Daunte Culpepper: good athlete, very smooth, stronger and faster than you think, but really lacking that quick twitch. He seems a bit lethargic in every physical act.

56 minutes ago, mannc said:

When was the last time you saw an NFL QB called for one facemask penalty, much less two in the same game?  This guy is unhinged.  Also, does anyone else think Watson has packed on a lot of weight?  He doesn't seem to move well at all anymore.  Maybe they're feeding him meds to quell his deviant urges. 

I'm pretty sure the Steelers were trash talking mercilessly. I think that had a lot to do with the two facemasks and the pushing of the official.

1 hour ago, TFBillsfan said:

If I’m not mistaken doesn’t Watson’s contract cap hit jump to $40M next year? Currently, he doesn’t look anywhere near a top QB in the league.

That contract may go down as the worst in NFL history and will have major roster impacts for the Browns.

As reported by @ColoradoBills in the game thread last night, it goes up to $64 mil per year for the next 3 seasons.  Good luck with that.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/deshaun-watson-21753/

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Wow Watson received 100 percent guaranteed $230mm!? This to a guy most folks wouldn't leave alone with their wife, kids or dog.  Well Browns fans, you get what you pay for!

BTW heartbreaking to see an All-Pro RB and good guy like Nick Chubb go down with a brutal injury.  

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Chubb out for season, Watson inept, I sense a top 10 draft pick being used on a QB...oh wait the Texans have that pick from the Watson trade.

Signing a vet (Cousins, Tannehill, Mayfield(?!)) probably not possible since Watson has a cap # of $64 million and dead cap of $201 million. On the bright side, they have their top picks in '25. Anyone know what the QBs look like in the '25 draft class? 

Not looking good for them. 

8 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

As reported by @ColoradoBills in the game thread last night, it goes up to $64 mil per year for the next 3 seasons.  Good luck with that.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/deshaun-watson-21753/

It's one thing to go all in when you're staring at four aces, but not when you're drawing to an inside straight. The Browns made a stupid gamble on an unknown quantity, and it's going to haunt them for years.

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

For a mediocre QB. Crazy.

Living in Cleveland I get to see his game more now.  Weak pocket awareness and his ball placement/accuracy is randomly a little sketchy.  On full display last night.  Last week I chalked it up to the rain but plain to see last night.  I won't be sad if he gets suspended/injured at some point because they late round drafted this QB from UCLA, Dorian Thompson-Robinson, who did some good things this preseason with moxie and may have a legit chance to be a starter down the line.

2 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

It's one thing to go all in when you're staring at four aces, but not when you're drawing to an inside straight. The Browns made a stupid gamble on an unknown quantity, and it's going to haunt them for years.

But how unknown was it? The last time he had played, he led the league in passing yards and had his best statistical season on a 4-12 tanking Texans team that had traded away his best WR. Then he "took a year off" and has now completely fallen off. It's really strange.

4 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

He’s a jerk.  Off 

Now if he is suspended are the Browns still paying him his fully guaranteed contract?  I mean if he is thrown out of the league he isn't carrying out his contractual obligation for the guaranteed money. 

Edited by AuntieEm

56 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Just evaluating Watson as a player, it's hard to believe that just one year off could cause that much decline in his game... and he's had plenty of time to shake off the rust... but he doesn't appear to be the same player.

He actually reminds me of Daunte Culpepper: good athlete, very smooth, stronger and faster than you think, but really lacking that quick twitch. He seems a bit lethargic in every physical act.

I'm pretty sure the Steelers were trash talking mercilessly. I think that had a lot to do with the two facemasks and the pushing of the official.

Could claim workplace harassment I suppose lol.  Yes he'd likely have a somewhat legal basis to file a claim but that would really set off social media and general public ridicule.  

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

https://x.com/profootballtalk/status/1704124784177545435?s=46&t=L452HseFOUPXMh5JPrb9nw

Good thing he doesn’t have a history of poor behavior, or he might be considered less of a role model

The two face mask penalties were bad enough - he could have hurt two players.

When did he shove a ref, and why wasn't he tossed for that?

AJ Epenesa got tossed for putting an elbow back when a ref shoved him from behind, then turning around and apologizing when he saw it was a ref.

Ref tossed him anyway.

4 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Man am I ever glad that my Pats didn’t make the deal to get him. Seems he is unraveling.

Pretty sure he was unraveled when he was forcefully putting his dick in dozens of young women’s mouths. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

The Browns are notorious for making really bad decisions. My guess is that their next move with be to panic, and trade for Jonathan Taylor, putting themselves even further behind the 8 ball.  

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Now if he is suspended are the Browns still paying him his fully guaranteed contract?  I mean if he is thrown out of the league he isn't carrying out his contractual obligation for the guaranteed money. 

I believe if Watson is suspended, the Browns are not obligated to pay him his weekly salary.  That raised eyebrows when last year's salary was set at NFL minimum, so that Watson only lost about $60k/game for his 11 game suspension or $660k total.

Looking it up, the same is true this year.  So the Browns would not be on the hook for about $60k/game for any games Watson is suspended.

They stay on the hook for the rest, though.

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

I can’t believe he wasn’t ejected over the shove of the official. That was blatantly obvious.

I missed it but to be consistent in NFL enforcement, he should have been.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I didn't think the facemask penalties were much of anything. He went for a stiff arm and his fingers got caught in the grill. Don't think those would be worth a fine let alone suspension. 

https://x.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1703965949466915246?s=20

I know the league takes contact with an official pretty seriously, but going so far as to suspend a "star" QB ? I don't think there was enough here for that

The league would like nothing better to suspend this cancer. The less he is on the field the better.

4 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I didn't think the facemask penalties were much of anything. He went for a stiff arm and his fingers got caught in the grill. Don't think those would be worth a fine let alone suspension.

That's the narrative Aikman tried to push, but Watson actually pulled Fitzpatrick after him out of bounds, then threw Fitzpatrick by his face mask once OOB.

So we see it differently.

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I believe if Watson is suspended, the Browns are not obligated to pay him his weekly salary.  That raised eyebrows when last year's salary was set at NFL minimum, so that Watson only lost about $60k/game for his 11 game suspension or $660k total.

Looking it up, the same is true this year.  So the Browns would not be on the hook for about $60k/game for any games Watson is suspended.

That's right forgot about howctzey played with his salary to be suspension protected.  Well maybe we see Cleveland invest nada in oline and let's Watson get more angry and does enough to warrant a longer suspension even being thrown out of league permanently.  It's not like he's a model citizen.  I'd consider it a happy ending for us women lol.  

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That's the narrative Aikman tried to push, but Watson actually pulled Fitzpatrick after him out of bounds, then threw Fitzpatrick by his face mask once OOB.

So we see it differently.

Yea accidentally caught y ou can generally see a player try to get unstuck not pulling the other player around like a ragdoll.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

https://x.com/profootballtalk/status/1704124784177545435?s=46&t=L452HseFOUPXMh5JPrb9nw

Good thing he doesn’t have a history of poor behavior, or he might be considered less of a role model

I watched the game last night & i loved every time he screwed up or threw a bad pass I can't route for the guy it sucks that he got rewarded a huge contract for begin POS human being !! And i hope the children don't ever consider him a role model .

12 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

The Browns are notorious for making really bad decisions. My guess is that their next move with be to panic, and trade for Jonathan Taylor, putting themselves even further behind the 8 ball.  

A knee-jerk organization.

There is a correlation of more success when you have front office stability.

What it must be like to be a Browns fan those poor bastards... reminds us to appreciate our team.

image.thumb.png.3ee06be229c2468f51ef0dd105f11b3c.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

May go down as one of the worst contracts in NFL history. 

Right. It's not just the contract in the abstract, giving a guy who was injured/would be suspended for over a year and a half, who would be 27 by the time he got back, and who didn't profile as a guy with longevity. No, you have to add to that the PR hit they took by signing him too.

I can't think of a worse contract in professional sports. Ever.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Pretty sure he was unraveled when he was forcefully putting his dick in dozens of young women’s mouths. 

Now now now.. allegedly!! Lol but seriously I was thinking that’s when the unraveling began.. now he seems to be spiraling.. although the NFL didn’t seem to think he deserved any fines for the face masks or bumping the ref. 

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

What is looking even worse is they doubled down and restructured every penny they could of his 2023 salary this year.

The Browns have pushed out Miles Garrett's cap hits so much already that he is costing $35M next year.

They've done the same with Amari Cooper.

The Browns are already $48M over the cap to start next season and will probably have no choice but to restructure Watson again.

LOL.  They pushed in all their chips and IOUs in this Watson debacle.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I missed it but to be consistent in NFL enforcement, he should have been.

That's true but his salary is vet minimum because of the stupid restructure as I mentioned above.

Browns are over-the-barrel with him.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

What is looking even worse is they doubled down and restructured every penny they could of his 2023 salary this year.

The Browns have pushed out Miles Garrett's cap hits so much already that he is costing $35M next year.

They've done the same with Amari Cooper.

The Browns are already $48M over the cap to start next season and will probably have no choice but to restructure Watson again.

LOL.  They pushed in all their chips and IOUs in this Watson debacle.

That's true but his salary is vet minimum because of the stupid restructure as I mentioned above.

Browns are over-the-barrel with him.

Wow. Even worse than I thought.

I looked it up on Spotrac. It actually looks like a joke - Watson's dead cap hit if they cut him this year is $220 million!

Yeah, so they won't do that. What about after the season? Move on and rebuild?

How about $201 million.

OK, then after 2024. I mean, surely that'll work?

No. $137 million.

Then $73 million after 2025.

Then it finally becomes possible to move on for the 2027 season, when his dead cap hit is $9 million. So three more seasons after this one before there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I actually feel sorry for Browns fans, who did nothing to deserve this.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think the most hilarious part of Deshaun Watson’s play/contract is that there isn’t another good comparable.

Cleveland is in a tough spot, they aren’t getting enough production out of the QB position given the cost. Their biggest problem is they’re paying for Deshaun Watson results for Deshaun Watson pay. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think the most hilarious part of Deshaun Watson’s play/contract is that there isn’t another good comparable.

True. Russell Wilson's contract is bad, and I think everyone believes Sean Payton wants out of it.

But his dead cap hit is $49 million after 2025. Not good, but they may think it's manageable and not a total franchise destroyer. You know Payton was already thinking that through when he took the Broncos job. That's $90 million less than Watson's at the same point. Plus Russell Wilson has been a disappointment, but he hasn't been downright awful in most games. He's actually been pretty decent in 2 games under Payton.

Th Watson contract is just unreal awful.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

True. Russell Wilson's contract is bad, and I think everyone believes Sean Payton wants out of it.

But his dead cap hit is $49 million after 2025. Not good, but they may think it's manageable and not a total franchise destroyer. You know Payton was already thinking that through when he took the Broncos job. That's $90 million less than Watson's at the same point. Plus Russell Wilson has been a disappointment, but he hasn't been downright awful in most games. He's actually been pretty decent in 2 games under Payton.

Th Watson contract is just unreal awful.

The Browns wish they were getting 2023 Wilson production for Deshaun Watson money. I guess they’ll just have to settle for Watson production. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

The Browns wish they were getting 2023 Wilson production for Deshaun Watson money. I guess they’ll just have to settle for Watson production. 

Russell Wilson QB rating: 108.5 this year, 84.4 last year.

Watson: 69.1 this year, 79.1 last year.

Not even in the same league. It's not that Wilson has been good overall; he hasn't. It's that Watson has been probably the worst starting QB (not counting Zach Wilson!) in the NFL over the course of 8 starts (basically half a season) since coming back from suspension.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.