Deshaun Watson keeping it classy

Virgil

I didn't think the facemask penalties were much of anything. He went for a stiff arm and his fingers got caught in the grill. Don't think those would be worth a fine let alone suspension. 

https://x.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1703965949466915246?s=20

I know the league takes contact with an official pretty seriously, but going so far as to suspend a "star" QB ? I don't think there was enough here for that

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 5

Does anybody have vid of the play shown real time in the broadcast?

None of the replays they went with showed it, but I'm pretty sure that on the live broadcast of the play you can see Watson actually try to kick Alexander as he's pulling him past him by the facemask. I'm guessing that's what really pissed the guy off and I can't believe nobody on the broadcast mentioned it or that they didn't replay the original angle so you could see it.

Anybody else catch that?

19 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I didn't think the facemask penalties were much of anything. He went for a stiff arm and his fingers got caught in the grill. Don't think those would be worth a fine let alone suspension. 

I know the league takes contact with an official pretty seriously, but going so far as to suspend a "star" QB ? I don't think there was enough here for that

Used to be if you laid a hand on an official you were tossed. Appeared to be enough here for that. He pushed him aside. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

• Simon changed the title to Deshaun Watson keeping it classy
4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Used to be if you laid a hand on an official you were tossed. Appeared to be enough here for that. He pushed him aside. 

I think it would've been pretty borderline to eject Watson for it. The ref got in his face and Watson grabbed/pulled his arm a bit to move him. Definitely not egregious contact. 

I know in the past they've had a 0 tolerance policy for touching an official. Not sure if that's still the case. Even if it is, it's one thing to eject some random guy, it's another thing to eject a $230,000,000 QB. 

I'd expect Watson to be fined for touching an official but would be shocked if he gets suspended. 

• Disagree 2

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Hope everyone's sarcasm antennas are fully extended this morning 🌄:

Steelers are dirty little sluts! Maybe they shouldn't wear facemasks!

image.jpeg.0ab84ee82df2339b85a5193e408aff7a.jpeg
REAL FOOTBALL PLAYERS DON'T WEAR FACEMASKS! 🤨

4 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

Needs a suspension asap.  You can't shove a ref.  Isn't Lord of the Rings out there.

Browns gonna Brown.

image.thumb.jpeg.cd2221e0bc32698bf3cf98001e8c6f73.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I hope Watson continues to be terrible.  The lack of remorse from him just makes me think he's a bigger POS than I originally thought.

Even if you think some of these women are money hungry or exaggerating their claims....there are ones you clearly affected.  Have at least a little compassion. 

Actually... If you caught the T.J. Watt interview on field post game... Watson came by and subtlety congratulated Watt and left... Watt I don't think acknowledged him being tied up with interview. BUT Alex Highsmith (56) next to Watt caught it with his eyes.

Anyway, I am Just trying to throw that dirtball Watson a good karma bone.  Why? I don't know why!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

38 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I think it would've been pretty borderline to eject Watson for it. The ref got in his face and Watson grabbed/pulled his arm a bit to move him. Definitely not egregious contact. 

2023 OFFICIAL PLAYING RULES OF THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE

Section 3, Article 1

(e) Unnecessary physical contact with a game official. Under no circumstance is a player allowed to shove, push, or strike an official in an offensive, disrespectful, or unsportsmanlike manner. The player shall be disqualified from the game, and any such action must be reported to the Commissioner, who may impose further discipline

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

As an aside, I have never seen an offensive player commit such egregious facemask penalties on defenders. On one, he grabbed and basically spun the guy around like a top. 

Agree that I don’t think that alone warrants any discipline, but it was bizarre.

48 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I know in the past they've had a 0 tolerance policy for touching an official. Not sure if that's still the case. Even if it is, it's one thing to eject some random guy, it's another thing to eject a $230,000,000 QB. 

I'd expect Watson to be fined for touching an official but would be shocked if he gets suspended. 

Maybe fine should be paid to official rather than NFLPA charity.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

The first facemask wasn't an issue until he tried to throw the guy by the facemask.  Just a stupid over reaction.  The 2nd I didn't feel like was much of anything.  RBs do the same thing all the time with no call.

As far as the official, he will get fined I'm sure, but people saying he "shoved" him aren't being honest.  He did grab him, which isn't ok, but he didn't forcefully push him.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Watch Watson closely.

I get that the act is certainly one that has historically been penalized. However, much like most actions that have unsportsmanlike conduct penalties called on them, I would not find such actions as egregious as the league standard seems to. 

The ref was shoving him around throughout the clip, to me it just looked like he was trying to disengage. Rules are rules, but I have a tough time wanting to eject a man who wanted the person getting handsy with him to lay off.

*Shrug*

He should have eaten a penalty for that since that is the standard... but I would never lose sleep over this not being called.

Edited by Dancing Fool

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

He is an absolute punk.  It was also obvious last night that he is not a $200 million+ QB. I will definitely enjoy watching the Browns wallow in mediocrity for the next several years because of the stupid contract they gave him.  

How long before they start trying to get him to take a pay cut?

His decline actually reminds me of Cam Newton. 

52 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

As an aside, I have never seen an offensive player commit such egregious facemask penalties on defenders. On one, he grabbed and basically spun the guy around like a top. 

Agree that I don’t think that alone warrants any discipline, but it was bizarre.

When was the last time you saw an NFL QB called for one facemask penalty, much less two in the same game?  This guy is unhinged.  Also, does anyone else think Watson has packed on a lot of weight?  He doesn't seem to move well at all anymore.  Maybe they're feeding him meds to quell his deviant urges. 

Edited by mannc
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

When was the last time you saw an NFL QB called for one facemask penalty, much less two in the same game?  This guy is unhinged.  Also, does anyone else think Watson has packed on a lot of weight?  He doesn't seem to move well at all anymore.  Maybe they're feeding him meds to quell his deviant urges. 

he does look fatter and slower. His arm release also looks very forced. Not as smooth as I remembered him. 

(by the way, Amari Cooper looks a little

pudgy to me too!)

• Like (+1) 1

He's finished. Playing horribly, constantly losing his cool. It's sad to see because he was an awesome player before the poop hit the fan.

If Watson had admitted to what he did to all of those women and begged for forgiveness (privately and publicly), I feel like things could have been different. Obviously there's a segment of the population always out for their pound of flesh and will never forgive - especially about something like this. But I think most people are willing and able to forgive those who f up once.

But because he never really owned it, there's always going to be a dark cloud hanging over him.

I don't think I've seen a person's public image change so drastically since OJ. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.