Deshaun Watson keeping it classy

Virgil

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

But how unknown was it? The last time he had played, he led the league in passing yards and had his best statistical season on a 4-12 tanking Texans team that had traded away his best WR. Then he "took a year off" and has now completely fallen off. It's really strange.

Almost two years off, since they knew he faced a long suspension upon his return. The bigger gamble was the fully guaranteed, back-loaded contract that gives them no reasonable out if he under-performs.

48 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Wow. Even worse than I thought.

I looked it up on Spotrac. It actually looks like a joke - Watson's dead cap hit if they cut him this year is $220 million!

Yeah, so they won't do that. What about after the season? Move on and rebuild?

How about $201 million.

OK, then after 2024. I mean, surely that'll work?

No. $137 million.

Then $73 million after 2025.

Then it finally becomes possible to move on for the 2027 season, when his dead cap hit is $9 million. So three more seasons after this one before there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I actually feel sorry for Browns fans, who did nothing to deserve this.

IF Watson's play remains poor, they have no choice but to blow up the team in 2025 and tank hard.

Post June cut helps them spread the cap hit over 2 years with a restructure and cap carry over.

I will watch to see if they trade off assets in 2024 and the start of 2025.  If they start (trading/letting walk) their stars, then it's a real possibility.

If they wait until 2027, they could lose their entire fanbase and the players, the team could be ruined.

I mean what other choice do they have?  Make him want to retire?

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Post June cut helps them spread the cap hit over 2 years with a restructure and cap carry over.

In ordinary mega contracts - I think Russell Wilson counts - that could be doable. But it's still $100 million per year with Watson!

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think retirement triggers the dead cap hit too. Honestly, there's no out. Some DA somewhere (not Houston, they declined) indicting/convicting him of something that happened in another jurisdiction? 

11 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Jimmy Haslam is getting what he deserves.  The Browns and their fans don't deserve this.

Exactly. At least I think so. I don't know what they were saying on their fan forums when Haslam made the decision to sign him. If you supported that, you did get what you deserved. 

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

I was saying 2025.  They have no choice next year but keep him.

Got it. I think they really have to keep him in 2024 and thru 2025 unless they want to do a full-on tank with Watson/Garrett contracts and a team of minimum salary scrubs around them. 

And I'm not sure how Watson's contract is structured, but one of those we-refuse-to-play-him-so-we-don't-trigger-an-injury-guarantee things may be in his near future ...

9 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Got it. I think they really have to keep him in 2024 and thru 2025 unless they want to do a full-on tank with Watson/Garrett contracts and a team of minimum salary scrubs around them. 

And I'm not sure how Watson's contract is structured, but one of those we-refuse-to-play-him-so-we-don't-trigger-an-injury-guarantee things may be in his near future ...

Haslam dug the hole; he's got no good choices but to hope Watson gets better.

18 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Guy has looked completely washed. Hasn’t looked good at any point while in a Browns uniform. Replacement level player at this point in his career. JAG

Deshaun Watson has Jordan Palmer parked in a Falling Credibility Zone

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/deshaun-watsons-personal-quarterback-coach-criticizes-houstons-receivers-from-2020

Jordan Palmer, who also has been working with Watson, expressed similar confidence (without, apparently, attacking his teammates).

“I think he plays this year, and I don’t even know what team he goes to and he’s a top three MVP candidate this year, 100 percent,” Palmer told Russillo. “People forget, this is one of the best players in the league with a chance to be the best. Deshaun is not a solid quarterback. He’s not a guy who’s had a good run. This is a gangster. The way he unites a room, the way that he shows up, the way he prepares. . . . People don’t realize this guy’s study habits, and the way he prepares. He’s not [just] a baller. He’s not [just] a guy who runs around and makes plays. He’s as sophisticated of a learner as I’ve been around. I don’t even care what team he goes on. He’s a top three MVP candidate this year.

(this was in 2022)

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

Living in Cleveland I get to see his game more now.  Weak pocket awareness and his ball placement/accuracy is randomly a little sketchy.  On full display last night.  Last week I chalked it up to the rain but plain to see last night.  I won't be sad if he gets suspended/injured at some point because they late round drafted this QB from UCLA, Dorian Thompson-Robinson, who did some good things this preseason with moxie and may have a legit chance to be a starter down the line.

So here's a question someone here may know the answer to.

During his promising seasons in Houston (including 2021 without Hopkins), Watson had the same HC/OC, Bill O'Brien/Tim Kelly

Is Tim Kelly a legit OC?

Anyway, I'm thinking that maybe the offense crafted by Kevin Stefanski/Alex Van Pelt just isn't a good match for Watson at all.

Stefanski's seat has to be getting warm.  It's his 4th season, and the Browns have gone from 11-5 and playoffs, 8-9, 7-10...now 1-1

From what I think I know, I think he wasn't the one who avidly pursued Watson, but he's undoubtedly gonna be the "escape goat" if the Browns don't turn it around quickly.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/19/2023 at 3:40 PM, Pete said:

Is there a player more easy to root against than Watson?  Tyreek is the other POS that I root against

Yeah, I don't think I would mind one bit if Cheatah the woman Beatah got a flat and was out for the season.

I know, you are never supposed to wish for injuries and yada yada ... just don't like the dude.

On 9/19/2023 at 2:12 PM, John from Riverside said:

How much did they pay this guy again?

Too much.

5 years $230 million fully guaranteed

On 9/19/2023 at 3:28 PM, PetermansRedemption said:

Guy has looked completely washed. Hasn’t looked good at any point while in a Browns uniform. Replacement level player at this point in his career. JAG

It's amazing.

He just turned 28 years old.

On 9/19/2023 at 6:45 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Haslam dug the hole...

image.jpeg.17d9ee77bf5ee357e4f33a1da6207e1b.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Too much.

It's amazing.

He just turned 28 years old.

Too much whoopee?  That can harm a young lad, you know!

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Too much.

Almost as bad as the contract the Yankees gave Stanton. All that money for a guy, that when he's not injured, watches cookies go by, then swings at sliders a foot off the plate. Some of these athletes are just way too entitled. 

On 9/19/2023 at 5:19 PM, ColoradoBills said:

IF Watson's play remains poor, they have no choice but to blow up the team in 2025 and tank hard.

I will watch to see if they trade off assets in 2024 and the start of 2025.  If they start (trading/letting walk) their stars, then it's a real possibility.

If they wait until 2027, they could lose their entire fanbase and the players, the team could be ruined.

To be fair, Watson has been a very slow starter even in his best years. He said it out his own mouth and the stats back it up. We'll see though, he has looked brutal 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.