Bernard, Torrence and Benford all officially starters

Process

15 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I think Damar Hamlin is #3 or maybe even #4 if Hyde cannot play.

Damar is good at the run and a liability on the pass. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

A reminder.... Dodson was ahead of Bernard at the point Bernard got hurt in camp. 

I hope but I do not have much expectation.

To be honest, I expect bad...

4 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Like what? He didn’t do anything last season.

Come on dude. He filled in a bit when Edmunds was hurt. The guy looked lost and couldn't shed a tackle. 

Let get honest here. There is absolutely nothing that indicates he is an effective starter. Kirksey will be there shortly. 

• Disagree 1

Starting Bernard at MLB is a total indictment of Dodson, Klein, and whoever else we saw at the position all summer. That said and even though we didn’t see it this summer, Bernard is probably the better cover guy of anyone else at the position. Front four has to keep him clean on run downs because he can’t shed a block worth a damn.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Bernard was expected, and I will be rooting for him to rise to the challenge, but I have a feeling it will be short lived and Kirksey will take over in the next few weeks.  

Seemed like Dane was leading for CB2 most of camp and preseason, so the late push by Benford was a bit of a surprise and considering Dane had a great camp, that is encouraging that Benford did enough to still over take him.  I still think Elam gets mixed in when they are going man/press type coverages or need more speed on the field, but what a story for Benford to be a late pick and over take a quality vet and a first round pick.  

O'Cyrus was a no brainer, he looked the part all camp and preseason.  Really looking forward to seeing him in action and he is going to get thrown into the fire out the gate with his Jets front line.  

Really excited about Ocyrus It normally takes a little bit of time for line to acclimate.

He took that job over a seasoned vet. Can’t wait to see what it looks like in year two

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Bernard is terrible. He's undersized and for being so you would expect him to be super athletic which he's not. If he would have played in the preseason we would have all seen that. I definitely don't like the idea of them experimenting with him in a live game. This is going to be bad. Hopefully Kirksey will be available but I doubt it 

If Bernard is one thing it's a above average athlete

FRj0G78XsAQsZ53.png

Edited by noacls
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Come on dude. He filled in a bit when Edmunds was hurt. The guy looked lost and couldn't shed a tackle. 

Let get honest here. There is absolutely nothing that indicates he is an effective starter. Kirksey will be there shortly. 

I mean he could’ve been lost. Rookie MLB in his first action. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Bummer about Elam 

Bummer the Bills drafted Elam when there were so many other quality players at positions of need.

Benford panning out from the 6th round is helpful to the Bills, but it makes it all the more harder to take that the Bills drafted Elam instead of players like Devin Lloyd or Breece Hall with that 1st round pick.

As for Torrence, really excited for him....a great pick in the 2nd round by Beane as I see him as a starter on this O-line for the next decade.👍

30 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Bernard is not undersized. He's bigger than Milano and slightly lighter than Roquan Smith. 

Could care less what Google has their weight at, there is no chance he's bigger than Milano. Bernard looks more like a WR than a LB.

This was Bernard's participation by week last season

image.thumb.png.92b380335568f971e081eb56b1f5ed0b.png

He was exclusively Matt Milano's backup and played the Will. his only PT came when Milano was injured in the Steelers game and the Jets loss in week 9. 

So if you're saying he sucked at MLB because of what you saw last season, you should realize you never saw him play MLB last season

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

In all due respect to Bernard, I hope he's not on the field a lot and we run with three safeties.  

I agree with this if Hyde plays.  

Rapp is the ideal guy to fill that LB/big dime role playing instead of Bernard.  He might be a better run defender than Bernard as it is.  But if Hyde is out, I’d prefer Rapp plays S and Bernard get the inside snaps, rather than Rapp inside and Hamlin or Lewis taking Hyde’s spot.

it’s going to be interesting.  Our DL and run D needs to be on point or it’ll be a long night.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, appoo said:

This was Bernard's participation by week last season

image.thumb.png.92b380335568f971e081eb56b1f5ed0b.png

He was exclusively Matt Milano's backup and played the Will. his only PT came when Milano was injured in the Steelers game and the Jets loss in week 9. 

So if you're saying he sucked at MLB because of what you saw last season, you should realize you never saw him play MLB last season

The fear is because he fell down the depth chart as the season went on. Typically you’d think a rookie with starting potential would rise up. 

But hopefully it was a learning the defense issue. Plus injuries at safety didn’t help.

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree with this if Hyde plays.  

Rapp is the ideal guy to fill that LB/big dime role playing instead of Bernard.  He might be a better run defender than Bernard as it is.  But if Hyde is out, I’d prefer Rapp plays S and Bernard get the inside snaps, rather than Rapp inside and Hamlin or Lewis taking Hyde’s spot.

it’s going to be interesting.  Our DL and run D needs to be on point or it’ll be a long night.  

Our defense for whatever reason is prone to giving up a huge run. I think it’s because of our safeties taking poor angles but it’s a problem.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Special K said:

Bummer the Bills drafted Elam when there were so many other quality players at positions of need.

Benford panning out from the 6th round is helpful to the Bills, but it makes it all the more harder to take that the Bills drafted Elam instead of players like Devin Lloyd or Breece Hall with that 1st round pick.

As for Torrence, really excited for him....a great pick in the 2nd round by Beane as I see him as a starter on this O-line for the next decade.👍

Eh, we were putting out the corpse of Josh Norman and Levi Wallace. We needed to draft a good CB.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The fear is because he fell down the depth chart as the season went on. Typically you’d think a rookie with starting potential would rise up. 

But hopefully it was a learning the defense issue. Plus injuries at safety didn’t help.

I'm not at all trying to be argumentative or even say I'm confident in Bernard - but McDermott literally never took Milano or Edmunds off the field unless they were injured.  Those two played a 100% of the available snaps after week 9.  After Week 9 the only other linebacker to play was AJ Klein, and he only barely played. 

But there is absolutely space for McDermott not liking what he saw out of Bernard in that WK9 Jets game and shelving him. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

It's amusing that some have disagreed and disliked this comment when it's just a simple fact. 

And that’s one of the reasons that’s that Milano isn’t a middle linebacker….

Roquon weighs 236.  Bernard is 222.  How is that slightly lighter?  And Bernard doesn’t look any bigger than he did last year.  Put on 14 LBs of muscle and tell me you’re slightly heavier afterwards.  And “slightly” stronger.  Roquon is much stronger, takes on blocks much better and has advanced instincts.  Did I meantion he has 14 more

pounds of muscle than Bernard.

that’s why people disliked your post.  I wasn’t even one of them, but it’s obvious to me why they disliked it

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Special K said:

Only problem is that we didn't!!🙂

Benford, I think, is going to end up really good. He's got a lot of great athletic traits to be a zone corner, and he's actually a bit quicker than I thought he'd be. What he showing is better ball skills than pretty much anyone expected

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, appoo said:

Benford, I think, is going to end up really good. He's got a lot of great athletic traits to be a zone corner, and he's actually a bit quicker than I thought he'd be. What he showing is better ball skills than pretty much anyone expected

Agree on Benford......Elam not so much.

• Dislike 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.