OT…Now the Jets are the 85 Bears

78thealltimegreat

12 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Man they certainly think alot of themselves don’t they? 

Didn’t the Bills have a statistically better D last year and lose like only one guy?

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/d-j-reed-jets-defense-can-be-historical-like-1985-bears-or-legion-of-boom 

Yes, the Bills were statistically better than the Jets.  The Bills lost Edmunds but add Micah Hyde and healthy Tre White and Jordan Poyer, plus their DTs look more stout, and shipping off Basham was addition by subtraction.  And we'll see what Leonard Floyd has left, and in a month or so we add in Von Miller.  But the Bills played Frazier's soft Tampa 2 D, and that let good QBs march down the field on them.  The D didn't scare anyone.  I'm hoping McD's D is more attacking and unpredictable.

As for the Jets, they've been building a very strong D line, they have Sauce Gardner in the back, and their MLB always gives the Bills fits.  

Bottom line, on paper I don't know which set of players I'd choose.  Both are good.  If the Jets have an edge, it's in the coaches, where Saleh has done well and we don't know yet how McD will do.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

David dropped a third and long in the 2nd quarter that hit him right in the chest…. And then of course the bomb with seconds remaining. 

Yes, thanks, now I remember. 

Either way, it doesn't change what he and I were talking about.  He's just throwing up mud at this point.

Anyone not concerned that the Jets can beat us is not being wise.  

They were in fact our two worst games last season for our offense.  Or defense has not improved either, but their offense has.  Our offense has improved, but IMO the issue wasn't talent on our offense, it was coaching.  Our coaching likely hasn't changed.  That is all.

If people like him want to think that it's a forgone conclusion that we win on Monday, great, no skin off my teeth.  

We shall see.  I'm cautiously optimistic but wouldn't be surprised if the Jets held us to 20 or fewer again and scored more than that with Rodgers and Cook now on the team, and Hall who didn't play either game against us, and Wilson in his second season after an exceptional rookie year with siht QBs.  

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

And BTW, I just looked, but Cook's best game last season, both in rushing yards and YPC was against us.  

We struggle against good RBs generally speaking, heck, we struggle against mediocre RBs at times, this combination of Cook/Hall could be problematic, particularly given our MLB situation.  

We didn't play a lot of top rushing teams or RBs last season.  Other than for Cook, of the ones we did, they weren't on balanced offenses. 

My biggest intrigue re: this game is going to be our coaching.  

Edited by PBF81

12 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Well, chalk it up to coaching then, because against our 2nd-ranked D their offense with Zach Wilson and Mike White in two games put up more yards (619 to 549), more passing yards (369 to 313), averaged over 7 minutes better in time-of-possession, logged more 1st-Downs (40 to 33), and had a better 3rd-down-conversion rate.   

They averaged 16 ppg with White and Wilson to our 18.5 with Allen.  Now they have essentially the same D, presumably our number, and Rodgers and Cook.  

They shouldn't be taken lightly, at last not by us.  They were our two worst games last year.  

11 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

So Josh Allen isn’t as good as Mike White and Zach Wilson gotcha 

Whoever you got, it ain't him. He didn't say anything like that.

Straw man arguments don't make good points.

He's right in his conclusion there, that they shouldn't be taken lightly. Not by anyone, really.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Success said:

Not really OT - I saw this & was surprised we weren't talking about it yet.

That Jets D is formidable.  The CB's statement was hyperbole - but they actually could be one of those D's we talk about as time goes on.  This 1st game concerns me because of that.  They won't stop our offense, but they can slow it down - and if Rodgers can put up enough points, they can certainly get the win.

I think we win the game, but their D is a concern.

how concerned are you

The teams are even on paper.

But it's a home game, an opener, for the Jets--and Aaron Rodgers inaugural game. Add 9-11 hype to the event also.

If the Bills win under those conditions, it will be epic.

I'm not a degenerate gambler. But even if I was, I wouldn't touch this game with a 10 foot pole.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

David dropped a third and long in the 2nd quarter that hit him right in the chest…. And then of course the bomb with seconds remaining. 

the bomb with seconds remaining was CLEAR DPI of the kind that sauce gardner got away with all year

13 hours ago, Success said:

Not really OT - I saw this & was surprised we weren't talking about it yet.

That Jets D is formidable.  The CB's statement was hyperbole - but they actually could be one of those D's we talk about as time goes on.  This 1st game concerns me because of that.  They won't stop our offense, but they can slow it down - and if Rodgers can put up enough points, they can certainly get the win.

I think we win the game, but their D is a concern.

They went from 32nd to 4th last year. Thats a big jump and likely had nothing to do with playing the murderous row of QBs such as

Jacoby Brissett

Kenny Pickett

Sklyar Thompson x2

Brett Rypian

Trevor Simien 

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Of course the Jets can beat us…. The best us with an awful QB last season so not sure why anyone think is they can’t with a future HOF now as their QB.

And two very good RBs and a rookie WR that finished 15th in the league for receiving yards.  Tell that to the person that's been arguing contrarily with me.  🙂

The issue was absolutely talent offensively last season…. The WRs outside of Diggs were trash and the offensive line was bad… not saying Dorsey was great, but putting the offensive issues when they occurred on Dorsey is a bit strange to me. 

My point is that they played better with worse talent than we had, and against our #2 ranked D.  We could have had better talent, but coaching was clearly an issue.  

Your point is noted, but consider, with White and Wilson at QB, a rookie WR and WRs no better than ours after him, at best, no RB worthy of note, they beat us and held us to 20 in the other game with their defense holding our O to our worst two games on the season.

We'll see what McD has up his sleeve on Monday.  But this Jets team is on the opposite end of the spectrum from what we're played last season.  

White/Wilson to Rodgers

Crap to Cook/Hall

Wilson as a rookie and crap to 2nd-year Wilson, and Lazard from GB in support.  

That's a bump.  

I’m not convinced the talent is significantly better offensively. Just hopeful Kincaid comes out the gate strong because he really is the difference.

Kincaid's been strong and impressive.  I'm not necessarily thinking he makes a huge impact on Monday, but Torrence definitely looks the part and is impressive, he'll get thrown into the fire vs. the Jets but he looked like he can handle it.  Also, McGovern on the other side seems to be huge.  NPI 

Is McGovern healthy?

IDK, we'll see.  This game should reveal much re the forthcoming season.  

Edited by PBF81

The hype train seems to only be with nfl tv personalities lol. All this talk of the bills demise and jets being elite and yet they are 2.5 point home dogs to buffalo and their season over/under is set at 9.5 most places 

1 hour ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

the bomb with seconds remaining was CLEAR DPI of the kind that sauce gardner got away with all year

Unfortunately that will likely continue, once a db becomes a household name/media darling they seem to get away with murder for years 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

And two very good RBs and a rookie WR that finished 15th in the league for receiving yards.  Tell that to the person that's been arguing contrarily with me.  🙂

My point is that they played better with worse talent than we had, and against our #2 ranked D.  We could have had better talent, but coaching was clearly an issue.  

Your point is noted, but consider, with White and Wilson at QB, a rookie WR and WRs no better than ours after him, at best, no RB worthy of note, they beat us and held us to 20 in the other game with their defense holding our O to our worst two games on the season.

We'll see what McD has up his sleeve on Monday.  But this Jets team is on the opposite end of the spectrum from what we're played last season.  

White/Wilson to Rodgers

Crap to Cook/Hall

Wilson as a rookie and crap to 2nd-year Wilson, and Lazard from GB in support.  

That's a bump.  

Kincaid's been strong and impressive.  I'm not necessarily thinking he makes a huge impact on Monday, but Torrence definitely looks the part and is impressive, he'll get thrown into the fire vs. the Jets but he looked like he can handle it.  Also, McGovern on the other side seems to be huge.  NPI 

Is McGovern healthy?

IDK, we'll see.  This game should reveal much re the forthcoming season.  

I think he will have a big impact, don't think Mosley can cover him or Williams for that matter, hopefully he and Knox can force their safeties down, then we can see diggs going mano-mano on sauce.

Jets hype train is off the charts but some of this stuff is getting a bit ridiculous and quite frankly if any team in the division should be making these type of prognostications it's the Dolphins.

Going to be fun times in NY if the Jets come out of the gate strong and dominate the Bills this week.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Dan in Owego said:

I think he will have a big impact, don't think Mosley can cover him or Williams for that matter, hopefully he and Knox can force their safeties down, then we can see diggs going mano-mano on sauce.

You know that I have high hopes for our offense.  In his first game though?  

Hope so, but we'll see.  6 days ...

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

You know that I have high hopes for our offense.  In his first game though?  

Hope so, but we'll see.  6 days ...

I know I'm on vacation in Mallorca on my 4th cervas and it just came to me 😆 but I do honestly think we will have to attack with our quick game early because I see a mis match with Kincaid and Knox on their backers.

At least that's my hope🍺

• Haha (+1) 1

Some of you are the most sensitive people on earth. No, they aren’t the 85 Bears and I personally would rather keep things quiet.  However, they have a very good  and deep defense. They make the playoffs if they didn’t have the worst qb in the nfl last year.

this is a very good test for the Bills to open up the season. They will take away Diggs and force the other guys to beat them. But I would be shocked if the Jets aren’t a top 5 defense at the end of the year. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, PBF81 said:

But considering that, perhaps you can explain why with Allen then, we performed so much more poorly against a lower ranked D and posted our two worst games of the season?  

I'd say coaching, but that's not a favored topic here.  What do you think was the reason?  Biorythyms?  Humidity?  What?  

Allen throwing passes to their guys didn’t help. 

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

And BTW, I just looked, but Cook's best game last season, both in rushing yards and YPC was against us.  

We struggle against good RBs generally speaking, heck, we struggle against mediocre RBs at times, this combination of Cook/Hall could be problematic, particularly given our MLB situation.  

We didn't play a lot of top rushing teams or RBs last season.  Other than for Cook, of the ones we did, they weren't on balanced offenses. 

My biggest intrigue re: this game is going to be our coaching.  

Also interesting that in the first half, with Tremaine Edmunds in the game, Dalvin had three carries for 11 yards and caught two passes for 12 yards. And zero TDs.

Whereas in the 2nd half with Edmunds injured and out, Cook had 11 carries for 108 yards and a TD and 1 catch for 15 yards.

As for how we did against the run overall last year, I'd disagree. 4.3 YPC we allowed, which is 13th best in the league and pretty decent overall. We played against Derrick Henry and held him to 25 yards on 13 carries. Henry's pretty decent isn't he? We held Najee to 20 yards on 11 carries. Held Chubb to 19 yards on 14 carries. Those were probably the three best we faced. Without looking, I'd bet those are some of the worst games of the year for those three.

It ought to be interesting to see how the Bills do with their new MLB group. 

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Dude, seriously go watch the play again. There was contact but PI? No… and the ball was perfectly thrown in stride right through his hands….

^jets apologist here

was at the game, he held him the last 10 yards of the route

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Some of you are the most sensitive people on earth. No, they aren’t the 85 Bears and I personally would rather keep things quiet.  However, they have a very good  and deep defense. They make the playoffs if they didn’t have the worst qb in the nfl last year.

this is a very good test for the Bills to open up the season. They will take away Diggs and force the other guys to beat them. But I would be shocked if the Jets aren’t a top 5 defense at the end of the year. 

The psychology of most sports fans is generally fairly fragile.

The Jets have a very good defense.  I'd say it's top-3.  They finished tied with the Eagles in 2022 in yards per play.  It's going to be a stiff test.  We need to protect the ball and take advantage of red zone opportunities. We aren't going to be marching up and down the field all night. 

• Like (+1) 1

Jets Defense throttled us last year because their DL overpowered our OL and we had two healthy weapons that anyone would be concerned about.. Diggs and Knox.  And Knox needed to be a blocker, which he'll probably have to do a lot of Monday Night as well. 

Our slot situation was a joke. 

Our TE2 was meh. 

Our running game with Singletary as lead back didn't scare anyone.  

Gabe Davis was trying to beat their secondary on a bum ankle.

Jets Defense is likely elite again this year.  They added more speed off the edge in McDonald, to go with Johnson etc.   That said, the Bills revamped IOL should hold up better against Q and co., and we have a healthy Gabe Davis, a new addition in Dalton Kincaid, along with James Cook/Damien Harris being a far scarier backfield than Singletary primarily.  Will be interesting to see if Harty/Sherfield are noticeable upgrades in the slot come the regular season... I believe they will be. 

Suffice it to say, this Bills Offense is much improved from the porous OL and one-trick pony Offense that was out there in our matchups against the Jets last year. 

Will that translate?... We'll see... It really all comes down to our OL and if they can give Allen time.  For the the weapons, for all the talk of Sauce/Reed.. IMO, that's the game.  Our OL vs their DL.  Can they hold up?  If they can, I think we win.. and I think we look good doing it.  If they can't.. Our defense better show up, because it's going to be a grind.  

Edited by SCBills

26 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Allen throwing passes to their guys didn’t help. 

No, it didn't, but there was also a reason for it.  Namely their tenacious D.  

We were outcoached in both games despite splitting.  

We can probably afford another split, but if we drop both to them that'd be problematic for the seeding.  As it is, they play Houston and Cleveland while we have to play Jax and Cincy.  the difference between Tamps (us) and Atlanta (Jets) is negligible.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It should.. but the Bengals were clearly arrogant before our game against them in the playoffs and they punched us in the mouth. 

That’s true, but at least the Bengals were coming off a Superbowl appearance. The Jest haven’t accomplished anything in over a decade and their arrogance is off the charts. Time to Humble them. I trust Josh Allen to do so. 

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Also interesting that in the first half, with Tremaine Edmunds in the game, Dalvin had three carries for 11 yards and caught two passes for 12 yards. And zero TDs.

Whereas in the 2nd half with Edmunds injured and out, Cook had 11 carries for 108 yards and a TD and 1 catch for 15 yards.

As for how we did against the run overall last year, I'd disagree. 4.3 YPC we allowed, which is 13th best in the league and pretty decent overall. We played against Derrick Henry and held him to 25 yards on 13 carries. Henry's pretty decent isn't he? We held Najee to 20 yards on 11 carries. Held Chubb to 19 yards on 14 carries. Those were probably the three best we faced. Without looking, I'd bet those are some of the worst games of the year for those three.

It ought to be interesting to see how the Bills do with their new MLB group. 

Agree for the most part.  And yes, our overall YPC against was good, but keep in mind, we didn't play many top rushing teams or RBs.  And sure, every team shuts down a good RB every now and again, but the teams that we faced had overall rushing games ranked 1st, 2nd, 6th, 11th, 13th, 15th, 16th, 20th, 24th (twice), 25th (twice), 26th (twice), 27th, and 28th.  That's half our schedule all but in the bottom quartile.  Against Baltimore we allowed 162 on the ground.  Four other teams, ranked 15th, 25th, and 26th logged 208, 188, and 174 rushing yards against us.  So that runs both ways.  In the playoffs we held Miami down despite nearly losing to Thompson's arm, but allowed 172 yard rushing game with Mixon posting a 105 yard 1 TD day on 5.3 YPC.  So there's work to do.  MLB figures to factor heavily into that too.  We'll see how that unfolds.  

We did a good job against the top-10 RBs we faced, generally speaking.  Some weren't on balanced offenses however, like Chubb, Henry, and Jones.  But Cook had his best game of the season against us.  Now he's paired with Hall, Rodgers at QB, and Wilson and Lazard at WR.  Much different than last season.  

If I had one concern about the Jets' offense (not defense in keeping with the thread), it's whether or not we'll have trouble stopping their two-headed running game with plenty of balance in the passing game.  

Your point on Edmunds did not go unnoticed.  :) 

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Agree for the most part.  And yes, our overall YPC against was good, but keep in mind, we didn't play many top rushing teams or RBs.  And sure, every team shuts down a good RB every now and again, but the teams that we faced had overall rushing games ranked 1st, 2nd, 6th, 11th, 13th, 15th, 16th, 20th, 24th (twice), 25th (twice), 26th (twice), 27th, and 28th.  That's half our schedule all but in the bottom quartile.  Against Baltimore we allowed 162 on the ground.  Four other teams, ranked 15th, 25th, and 26th logged 208, 188, and 174 rushing yards against us.  So that runs both ways.  In the playoffs we held Miami down despite nearly losing to Thompson's arm, but allowed 172 yard rushing game with Mixon posting a 105 yard 1 TD day on 5.3 YPC.  So there's work to do.  MLB figures to factor heavily into that too.  We'll see how that unfolds.  

We did a good job against the top-10 RBs we faced, generally speaking.  Some weren't on balanced offenses however, like Chubb, Henry, and Jones.  But Cook had his best game of the season against us.  Now he's paired with Hall, Rodgers at QB, and Wilson and Lazard at WR.  Much different than last season.  

If I had one concern about the Jets' offense (not defense in keeping with the thread), it's whether or not we'll have trouble stopping their two-headed running game with plenty of balance in the passing game.  

Your point on Edmunds did not go unnoticed.  :) 

13 for 38 plus the 81 yard TD.  Not saying take it out of his numbers, just that the context there is that he had a good game when outside of one play he really didn't do a whole lot.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

13 for 38 plus the 81 yard TD.  Not saying take it out of his numbers, just that the context there is that he had a good game when outside of one play he really didn't do a whole lot.  

That's fair.  

But look at the play (below), notice what the alignment is.  Heavy left with Dodson and Milano as the only LBs.  It's not a stretch to assume that this isn't going to bode well for us all season.  Edmunds was not in on that play, but given how AJE was taken out wide by Darrisaw, Oliver neutralized and Mlilano effectively blocked for the open space, I'm also not sure that we should dismiss that as being insignificant.  What it means to me is possibly expect more big running plays against us when the line-up suits their offense, and Rodgers is no stranger to audibling etc.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g2fHbG7_Aw

A week or two ago I really liked our chances, but after studying the Jets a little bit more, I'm far more concerned.  

This game can easily go either way.  And again, much will depend upon Dorsey/Allen.  We cannot afford another 17 or 20 point game offensively.  

Players want to think of themselves as great, human nature. Is it too much talk? Possibly, but they need to do their thing on the field now. Its going to all come together, or come crashing down real fast. To each their own i guess.

4 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

They went from 32nd to 4th last year. Thats a big jump and likely had nothing to do with playing the murderous row of QBs such as

Jacoby Brissett

Kenny Pickett

Sklyar Thompson x2 

Brett Rypian

Trevor Simien 

They can only play the Qb's that are put in front of them, and they did play Josh Allen x2 as well. 

Personally I'd rather shut up and prove it on the field. I've seen this kind of thing blow up embarrassingly too many times on people making these kinds of statements. Ultimately, if you end up being that great, you'll get your due. Otherwise, it sounds like you're trying to convince yourself of how great you are and just applying unneeded pressure and distraction.

15 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

2022 NY Jets Defense:

Week 1 - Loss 24-9 to Ravens.  Lamar 3 TDs.  Flacco actually threw 59 times for 300 yards for the Jets.  

Week 2 - The 31-30 miracle in Cleveland bc the Browns went full Browns.  But Cleveland had over 400 yards of offense.  

Week 3 - 27-12 Loss to Bengals.  Burrow 3 TDS and 275 yards passing.  

Week 4 - 24-20 win over the Steelers and the last game started by Mitch.  The Bills held the Steelers to 3 points.  

Week 5 - 40-17 win over SKYLER THOMPSON. 

Week 6 - 27-10 win over GB, who at the time had a QB that looked like he didn’t want to be there.  Behold, a few months later he forced his way out.  The Bills dominated them until Allen played YOLO ball for some reason.  

Week 7 - 16-9 win over BRETT RYPIEN.  

Week 8 - 22-17 loss to Mac Jones who was efficient.  The Pats didn’t need to force the issue bc Zach Wilson had 3 INTs

Week 9 - Jets 20 - Bills 17.   Allen’s worst game.  Diggs still had 5 catches for 95 yards.  Lots of Bills were out and I truly think we didn’t take them seriously.  Our running game was a joke that day.  

Week 10 - Patriots 10 Jets 3.  Mac Jones was was 23-27 for 247 yards.  I don’t even know what happened here.  

Week 11 - Jets 31 TREVEOR SIEMIAN 10.  

Week 12 - Vikings 27 Jets 22.  The Vikings were only sacked 2x and had zero turnovers.  

Week 13 - Bills 20 - Jets 12.  Again, no need to force anything bc the Jets O was bad.  Allen only threw 27 passes.  

Week 14 - Lions 20 Jets 17.  Goff 23-38 for 250 plus yards and no turnovers.   

Week 15 - Jaguars 19 - Jets 3.  Lawrence was 20-31 for 220 yards no turnovers.  Jags ran for 140 Lawrence had 50 and a TD.  

Week 16 - Seahawks 23 - Jets 6.  Geno 18-29 and 2 TDS.  No turnovers.  Walker had over 130 yards rushing. 

Week 17 - SKYLER THOMPSON 11 Jets 6.   

They might be elite.  But they absolutely shouldn’t be talking.  Literally nothing up there I posted says they should be talking.  But I hope they keep it going.  

They ain’t the Ravens.  

They can absolutely be run on. Their run D ranked in the middle of the league last season. The Bills have never been able to effectively run it during Allen's time with the team, something a lot of his critics forget, so it'll be interesting to see if they can genuinely improve with the new guards and Cook being the lead back. It doesn't need to be dominant, just something teams take seriously.

Also want to see some quick short passes to take advantage of the middle of their defense, which is the weakest part. It's probably asking too much for Kincaid to have a great day in his first ever regular season game but hopefully he and Knox can cause those LBs problems. Would also be good to see Cook get involved with the passing game.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why? Swagger is an act. It's better to know what you have and don't have to advertise it.

The Bucs and Ravens defenses had a ton of swagger and talked a lot. 

it’s football. You’re supposed to have an attitude on defense. It can blow up in your face but it’s not like it’s Zach Wilson talking. It’s a legit good group. 

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

That's fair.  

But look at the play (below), notice what the alignment is.  Heavy left with Dodson and Milano as the only LBs.  It's not a stretch to assume that this isn't going to bode well for us all season.  Edmunds was not in on that play, but given how AJE was taken out wide by Darrisaw, Oliver neutralized and Mlilano effectively blocked for the open space, I'm also not sure that we should dismiss that as being insignificant.  What it means to me is possibly expect more big running plays against us when the line-up suits their offense, and Rodgers is no stranger to audibling etc.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g2fHbG7_Aw

A week or two ago I really liked our chances, but after studying the Jets a little bit more, I'm far more concerned.  

This game can easily go either way.  And again, much will depend upon Dorsey/Allen.  We cannot afford another 17 or 20 point game offensively.  

I mean you can say what you want about dodson and milano - who blocks who... But Benford had him dead to rights and whiffed on his tackle in his gap...

23 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

They can absolutely be run on. Their run D ranked in the middle of the league last season. The Bills have never been able to effectively run it during Allen's time with the team, something a lot of his critics forget, so it'll be interesting to see if they can genuinely improve with the new guards and Cook being the lead back. It doesn't need to be dominant, just something teams take seriously.

Also want to see some quick short passes to take advantage of the middle of their defense, which is the weakest part. It's probably asking too much for Kincaid to have a great day in his first ever regular season game but hopefully he and Knox can cause those LBs problems. Would also be good to see Cook get involved with the passing game.

Like to see harty and cook involved there too.  Get those guys in some space and just keep the chains moving.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.