Defending Rodgers

hondo in seattle

How do you guys think we'll defend the Jets on Monday night?

Our defense is different in a few ways from last year.  The most obvious and meaningful are a new DC calling plays and a new MLB.  But there are some other interesting differences, too, like having Rapp on the roster and creating intriguing options (Big Nickel, anyone?).   And Leonard Floyd spicing up the pass rush (though, disappointingly, Von will be out).  

I don't follow the Jets closely but I do know what Rodgers brings.  Besides his arm talent, he reads defenses and moves around the pocket well.   Teams only blitzed him 21% of the time last year (7th lowest rate in the league) because historically he's been effective against the blitz.

But Rodgers is in a new city, with a new OC, surrounded by new players, protected by a subpar OL, and using a playbook that he can't possibly have mastered yet as thoroughly as he did the one in Green Bay.    Should we put Rodgers under siege with a non-Bills-like and unexpected heavy blitz package?   At his age, and at this point in his Jets career, can Rodgers respond as effectively to the blitz as he has in the past?  

If you don't like the blitz idea, what would you do?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I’m much more worried about the Jets D line vs the Bills O line.

I expect largely the same defense we’ve seen from Buffalo. Big cushions on the outside to keep receivers in front. Occasional blitzes with taron and Milano and probably Rousseau or another D line dropping into coverage or something on some of those blitzes. I’d happily welcome some new changes but I’m not sure how much we’ll see week one. 

Small edit for the OP on the last paragraph.. He is actually using the same playbook from Green Bay. That’s partly why Hackett and Lazard and Cobb and all them guys joined, to help teach the offense. 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7

I'm normally a huge fan of his.  He has such a unique skillset - and is capable of greatness in any moment & in any game.

I'm no D expert - but I feel like we'll be able to get pressure on him without blitzing, given the Jets' line.  I think the D in this game would be better served by playing physical w/ the receivers and trying to disrupt things enough to give our D-line time to get to him.  He's going to make some big plays, but the key is not allowing him to get comfortable and start to pick us apart.  

I'm truly excited to see the defense under McDermott.  

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Our defense is different in a few ways from last year.  The most obvious and meaningful are a new DC calling plays and a new MLB.  But there are some other interesting differences, too, like having Rapp on the roster and creating intriguing options (Big Nickel, anyone?).   And Leonard Floyd spicing up the pass rush (though, disappointingly, Von will be out).  

I don't follow the Jets closely but I do know what Rodgers brings.  Besides his arm talent, he reads defenses and moves around the pocket well.   Teams only blitzed him 21% of the time last year (7th lowest rate in the league) because historically he's been effective against the blitz.

But Rodgers is in a new city, with a new OC, surrounded by new players, protected by a subpar OL, and using a playbook that he can't possibly have mastered yet as thoroughly as he did the one in Green Bay.    Should we put Rodgers under siege with a non-Bills-like and unexpected heavy blitz package?   At his age, and at this point in his Jets career, can Rodgers respond as effectively to the blitz as he has in the past?  

I wouldn't assume that the playbook isn't essentially the one he had with Hackett in Green Bay.  Why wouldn't it be?

If I'm correct, the issue isn't Rodgers mastering the playbook, the issue is "have WR not named Cobb and Lazard mastered the playbook?  Has Dalvin Cook mastered the playbook?  Is the OL all on the same page with the protections?"

I'm no DC, but that's what I'd probe into trying to exploit.  Rodgers was very effective against the blitz in GB because he knew what his answers were, and his receivers knew what they were supposed to do to be answers.  If the Bills D can throw a monkey wrench into those works, should be interesting.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think McD is going to have confidence in our secondary and look to be aggressive upfront to disrupt Rodgers as much as he can given he doesn't have much experience with these guys and the Jets OL is their weakest spot on the team.  

So I expect McD to dial up pressure and I also think we are going to see Groot more than people think on the inside this week to use his length to disrupt the passing lanes.  I also think we are going to see Rapp a lot more than people think this week helping out at the MIKE as a 3rd safety essentially in obvious passing downs.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I expect largely the same defense we’ve seen from Buffalo. Big cushions on the outside to keep receivers in front. Occasional blitzes with taron and Milano and probably Rousseau or another D line dropping into coverage or something on some of those blitzes. I’d happily welcome some new changes but I’m not sure how much we’ll see week one. 

Small edit for the OP on the last paragraph.. He is actually using the same playbook from Green Bay. That’s partly why Hackett and Lazard and Cobb and all them guys joined, to help teach the offense. 

Is Carl Lawson playing? 

#1 account for all dump off passes. IE: the RBs and chipping TEs. Don’t give away easy yards. Make Rodgers earn it over the top on long developing routes. Punish him for hanging on to the ball over 2.5 seconds.

#2 overload to stop the run. 

#3 make Rodgers win over the top. Rodgers gets fidgety the longer the ball is in his hands. 

#4 hit Rodgers on/after every deep pass if within the allowed time on/after release.

#5 Allen & Company must play a clean game. No short fields. Limit turnovers. Think a 4 quarter game.

#6 ST must control return game on punts and kickoffs. No short fields. 

• Agree 1

Live by the blitz, die by the blitz.  

For Rodgers, I like the idea.  He's a real QB, not a forward hand-off artist like TB, so a blitz can hit home.  He'll totally burn us if we blitz, but I think it's no worse odds to win the game, and it"ll be a week 1 reminder that Father Time is calling.   It's gonna be a long season, Mister Rodgers. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

That is also what the Jets should be concerned about with regards to their own o-line. We should be defending Rodgers first and foremost by bringing as much pressure as we can. 

Hopefully we get there with four. But if we bring 5 or more consistently the pressure should be there every time. 

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

The reality is that Rodgers, when he as a line and run game and a few weapons, is not going to be easy to defend.

He should be playing with the worst line of his career hopefully.

• Like (+1) 1

Bringing pressure early and often could play right into the Jets' hands, as I expect a ton of quick hitting run/pass mix that gets the ball out fast and attacks the field horizontally more than vertically. Attacking the Bills is about taking what the off-coverage gives you (outs, slants, "now" routes and screens galore) while establishing the run and run-action game. 

Best way to defend that? Good question. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.