Bills/Jets game may be blacked out if you are a Spectrum subscriber.

Beast

I have Spectrum and the ESPN app. One minute before tonight’s Utah/Florida game, Disney yanked ESPN from Spectrum subscribers over a contract dispute. I tried to watch it on my ESPN app and couldn’t do that either which makes no sense to me.

Just wanted everyone to be aware. You may need to start planning now. Greed rules.

Edited by Beast
  • Angry 1

7 minutes ago, Beast said:

I have Spectrum and the ESPN app. One minute before tonight’s Utah/Florida game, Disney yanked ESPN from Spectrum subscribers over a contract dispute. I tried to watch it on my ESPN app and couldn’t do that either which makes no sense to me.

Just wanted everyone to be aware. You may need to start planning now. Greed rules.

Hopefully is worked out by then, fingers crossed.  BS move and both sides suck.

Just fell victim to this right as I was turning the CFB game on as well. What a bite!

I'm sure it will be resolved before the Bills game, if not this weekend 🤞

But as a contingency plan for next Monday, if you have Hulu, you can upgrade to the Live TV package for the night to get the game and then cancel it. Or find someone with a login to an account on another cable provider to stream on ESPN app.

9 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

ESPN is gone for me but ABC is still working so maybe it'll be there on the 11th.  If not it'll be time for the old rabbit ears.

Great call. Forgot that it will be on the local affiliate for Buffalonians.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

Are the Monday night games required to be broadcast over the air in "flagship" (believe that's the term they use) market for both Buffalo and NYC?  If you live in Rochester or anyplace but Buffalo, you're screwed, but as long as you're in the Buffalo broadcast area, you'd be able to watch it over the air?  Or doe that requirement just apply to the Thursday night Amazon Prime games?

Also thought the first week the game is simulcast on ABC?

Used to really pi** me off as Rochester was still within the Bills blackout region, but didn't fall under the flagship rules.  Kind of a double set of standards.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not on ESPN+, you need the live tv package on hulu.

I'm pretty sure I watched MNF games on ESPN + last year. I just googled it and this came up:

Monday Night Football is exclusive to ESPN and its sister networks, like ABC, ESPN2, ESPN+, and ESPN Deportes. During the 2023 NFL season, you can watch 23 regular season games across ESPN platforms, plus two postseason games and exclusive Pro Bowl coverage.

Take that for what it's worth as things change all the time. 

6 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

I'm pretty sure I watched MNF games on ESPN + last year. I just googled it and this came up:

Monday Night Football is exclusive to ESPN and its sister networks, like ABC, ESPN2, ESPN+, and ESPN Deportes. During the 2023 NFL season, you can watch 23 regular season games across ESPN platforms, plus two postseason games and exclusive Pro Bowl coverage.

I watched them on ESPN+ last year also. However I can’t watch the Florida/Utah game on Spectrum or my ESPN app so I don’t know.

Edited by Beast

31 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Just fell victim to this right as I was turning the CFB game on as well. What a bite!

But as a contingency plan for next Monday, if you have Hulu, you can upgrade to the Live TV package for the night to get the game and then cancel it. Or find someone with a login to an account on another cable provider to stream on ESPN app.

Or go to a bar.  My wings sports place is .8 miles from my house and with their satellite I’ll get it.  Problem solved.

13 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

I watched them on ESPN+ last year also. However I can’t watch the Florida/Utah game on Spectrum or my ESPN app so I don’t know.

If you only have ESPN+ (or the Disney+ package), you can't watch live ESPN events. You only get ESPN+ content like the 30for30s.

In the ESPN app, you also have to log into a cable provider account in order to watch ESPN live.

I know this because this is how I watch ESPN. My family shares streaming logins, and I use my parents' Spectrum account in the ESPN app. Couldn't do it without it, I've tried.

@Beast sounds like you're logged into your Spectrum account on the app as well.

35 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not on ESPN+, you need the live tv package on hulu.

I was waiting to watch pegula on espn2 when mine dropped - I have espn+ bundled with hulu and espn+ has different content than espn with no crossover.

Funny thing is I had espn on firetv TV on back porch and the app is still playing.  I'm sure when I turn off TV or leave app I won't be able to get back in.  I told my wife we are going to have to just leave the TV on fhe porch on 24/7 until it is resolved  😛

At one pt I had the idea of using my dads directv to watch on computer.  He didn't have a streaming acct set up, so I got his acct number from him, went to register, and they said they would send the code in USPS mail - lol.  I guess just to screw with guys like me trying to get quick access.

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Beast said:

They ain't no better than Nexstar!! At least I can get channel 4 streaming. 

50 minutes ago, Beast said:

I was watching the NC state v UCONN game on CBSSports and switched to ESPN for Florida v Utah only to find a blank screen.  It took a few minutes to realize it was a Spectrum Disney dispute that impacts a lot of channels I watch on Spectrum.  Coming at the beginning of college football season really bites.  Spectrum just raised prices too.  Both Disney and Spectrum are to blame with us customers caught in the crosshairs.  Hopefully it will get resolved soon.  Either way Spectrum will raise our prices, as will all the streaming services.

So for tonight, I'm between CBSS and Fox (which is showing Nebraska v Minnesota).

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If you only have ESPN+ (or the Disney+ package), you can't watch live ESPN events. You only get ESPN+ content like the 30for30s.

In the ESPN app, you also have to log into a cable provider account in order to watch ESPN live.

I know this because this is how I watch ESPN. My family shares streaming logins, and I use my parents' Spectrum account in the ESPN app. Couldn't do it without it, I've tried.

Not true, I watch Sabres games on ESPN+.  I have the ESPN+ Disney package bc it's free with my amex card. I dont have Spectrum anymore. I know for a fact I watched the Titans Bills week 2 game on ESPN+ through the app on my Samsung TV. Maybe you can't get it bc Spectrum knows you are using your parents login and on different wifi.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Not true, I watch Sabres games on ESPN+.  I have the ESPN+ Disney package bc it's free with my amex card. I dont have Spectrum anymore. I know for a fact I watched the Titans Bills week 2 game on ESPN+ through the app on my Samsung TV. Maybe you can't get it bc Spectrum knows you are using your parents login and on different wifi.

The espn+ has nothing to do with spectrum - it is separate login/app.  I also only get espn÷ specific content on my hulu/espn+ bundle, with no espn content

1 minute ago, Bferra13 said:

Good call, but the NHL games were exclusive ESPN+ live content. You can get those with just the ESPN+ app, that is true. But those also arent being shown on ESPN broadcast TV.

They may show MNF as ESPN+ content as well. However, I can't get, for example, College Gameday and the football games that are live on ESPN and ESPN2 this Saturday without the Spectrum login working.

The Spectrum lockout has nothing to do with account sharing, they're in dispute with Disney right now.

• Like (+1) 2

Correct to all above. There is a difference between espn+ if you pay for it vs just getting it free with Spectrum. Especially now that Spectrum and Disney are on the outs. But I do believe if there was not this fued, you would be able to see it with the non paid version of espn+ through their app with the spectrum login.

Edited by Bferra13

I am streaming the ESPN app over the Roku TV and it’s not blacked out. I’m in Rochester visiting my brothers and we have spectrum so they’re not blacking out the streaming.

I do have a ESPN plus login so I don’t know if this is using this or not

Edited by popcornpam

13 minutes ago, popcornpam said:

I am streaming the ESPN app over the Roku TV and it’s not blacked out. I’m in Rochester visiting my brothers and we have spectrum so they’re not blacking out the streaming.

Was it already up before spectrum cut off Disney.  My firetv ESPN app that was already up is playing, but I'm pretty sure when I back out of the app and try to get back in I won't be able to (not willing to try it yet, watching Pegula)

Edited by stevewin

4 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Was it already up before spectrum cut off Disney.  My firetv ESPN app that was already up is playing, but I'm pretty sure when I back out of the app and try to get back in I won't be able to (not willing to try it yet, watching Pegula)

No, it wasn’t going before. I’m watching the tennis too. It said ESPN3 when I clicked on it. 

That’s the usual streaming of ESPN. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I will FaceTime the game for you.  Let me know if you want me to hold the phone horizontal or vertically.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, popcornpam said:

No, it wasn’t going before. I’m watching the tennis too. It said ESPN3 when I clicked on it. 

That’s the usual streaming of ESPN. 

Interesting - maybe as long as the original provider credentials are saved in the app it will continue to be able to access.  Eventually I will find out 😛

7 minutes ago, thronethinker said:

ABC is still on and the Bills game is on ABC. Only ABC on demand is currently unavailable as part of the negotiations stall. The game will be on no matter what happens. 

Regular network ABC is blacked out on my spectrum service (NC)

Edited by stevewin

45 minutes ago, popcornpam said:

If you're using your ESPN plus login it won't be blacked out.  If you normally login using Spectrum as your TV provider, you won't have access.

18 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

If you're using your ESPN plus login it won't be blacked out.  If you normally login using Spectrum as your TV provider, you won't have access.

I’ll have to check and see I live in Houston so I have Xfinity login. Since I’m visiting Rochester, sometimes I use my brother’s spectrum login.

OK I signed in with my Xfinity. Maybe that’s why I’m getting it. Sorry about the confusion.

Edited by popcornpam

Directv has been in a dispute with Nextar for a while now. Had to bring the old antenna out of the basement junk pile for the preseason games. 

I feel like they do this every single year leading up to the nfl season and it always gets resolved when someone flinches because they are at a risk of losing money. 

im sure it’ll be fine again this time as well. But in honesty, it’s given me thoughts for the first time about cutting the cord and just streaming one or 2 platforms. 

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

Interesting - maybe as long as the original provider credentials are saved in the app it will continue to be able to access.  Eventually I will find out 😛

I found out I logged in using my Xfinity credentials. I live in Houston and I’m visiting my brothers here in Rochester. 
sorry about the confusion. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

1 hour ago, Bferra13 said:

Correct to all above. There is a difference between espn+ if you pay for it vs just getting it free with Spectrum. Especially now that Spectrum and Disney are on the outs. But I do believe if there was not this fued, you would be able to see it with the non paid version of espn+ through their app with the spectrum login.

47 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I just posted this in the shoutout but ESPN plus will be carrying the game by streaming and they go for $10 a month

I don’t have cable and I cut off my spectrum except for Internet because I was looking to cut costs so I was looking for an alternative to be able to watch the Monday night game

OK, so what’s the verdict here??

If I pay for the espn+ streaming service, will I be able to see live sports like college football and shows like NFL live and PTI, or not??

Man the last time I had Spectrum i was paying almost $140 6 years ago, I pay $72 for Youtube TV and I've never had any channels in that time period taken away, not 1. There has been 1 price hike for me and it was recently when they got the NFL deal (from $64 and some change to $72 and some change). 

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel2014
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Special K said:

If I pay for the espn+ streaming service, will I be able to see live sports like college football and shows like NFL live and PTI, or not??

I think the answer to this is yes, but just to be sure go onto the ESPN plus website and it will show you what it’s going to stream now. I had to search a little bit for the bills Jets game because it’s not until a week in September and they only forecast out a certain number of days on the schedule but it is there.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Special K said:

I say absolutely.  But try it this Saturday with college football. I believe the point of paying $10 bucks a month is to give you access to the entire ESPN family of shows and live sports. Otherwise, what would be the point...

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.