3rd Preseason Postgame Reaction Thread - Bills vs Bears -Are the Bills the best team in the league??

LeGOATski

3 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Re: Shorter. There can't be a place on the 53 for a Wide Receiver who can't receive, can there? He's friggin Perry Tuttle on HGH.

One drop he was face masked hard just before he turned his head to look for ball 

but yea - he’s gotta level up. It’s the nfl. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

Glad to see the starters played well this game.

BUT to put it in context, the Bears' OL was missing 3 starters and their D was missing both starting safeties.

All things being equal, I was encouraged by Cook, Neal, and Benford. I also wonder if Lewis earned his spot.

38 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Re: Shorter. There can't be a place on the 53 for a Wide Receiver who can't receive, can there? He's friggin Perry Tuttle on HGH.

He's shown very little, and the poor decision to get out of his lane resulted in the long return by the Bears. I don't see a reason for Shorter to be on the 53 other than the Bills spent a 5th on him

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

The Bills punted and turnver the ball over combined in 2022 less than anyone.  Allen runs the most effective non-redzone offense in the league by a considerable margin.  Thier is zero room for productivity outside the redzone.  Already the best, and this theoretical underneath stuff you are talking about, doesn't exist in the red zone.  please provide a video of Allen passing up an open underneath reciever in the redzone in 2022.  There simply weren't open recievers there. Nothing for Allen to ignore.  Rambling on with cliches like "balanced offense" or "take what the give you" is just blather. Sorry to be be so straight foward.  But Allen is the best. And it is so stupid to try to change the things that work.  

How did that work against Cincinnati?

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, Stads said:

Brandon Beane said on the telecast that McDermott gave up the defensive play calling for this game. I don't mean to rain on your sarcastic parade

So he's handling the dual role perfectly then? Is able to delegate with ease? Is that your point?

Just now, Chaos said:

If only Allen took the underneath stuff, the defense wouldn't have ***** the bed on the first two bengal drives. Or something like that I guess. 

Saying there was never anything open underneath on a number of long throws is just ignorant. The difference on how the offense operated from the beginning of the season to the playoffs was night and day. Whether that was Allen’s elbow, arrogance, stupidity on Dorsey’s part is anyone’s guess. Being down two scores in the first quarter is no reason to give up what has consistently worked for this offense. Sorry you are provably wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

He had a catch today, didn’t he?

In the last preseason game he had catches, and a touchdown

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

If only Allen took the underneath stuff, the defense wouldn't have ***** the bed on the first two bengal drives. Or something like that I guess. 

You say this now, but it takes away the things that makes Josh Allen special what is the purpose of having a quarterback with an all world arm, if he doesn’t use it

It would just be good to see him go to the short game whenever the long game isn’t working

2 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Saying there was never anything open underneath on a number of long throws is just ignorant. The difference on how the offense operated from the beginning of the season to the playoffs was night and day. Whether that was Allen’s elbow, arrogance, stupidity on Dorsey’s part is anyone’s guess. Being down two scores in the first quarter is no reason to give up what has consistently worked for this offense. Sorry you are provably wrong.

Lots of folks get exasperated when Dorsey seems to continually dial up the long ball. Now it's quite possible that Allen's elbow contributed to that proclivity. This season should clarify if that was a significant factor, or if always giving a priority to the deep shot is indeed a "feature" and not a "bug." For certain, if you start with the premise that you have to reject the deep shot before "settling" for something else, the quick hitter will never effectively be incorporated into your offense. I suspect that Kincaid will emerge as a consistent threat from the slot which should of itself diversify the approach.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Lots of folks get exasperated when Dorsey seems to continually dial up the long ball. Now it's quite possible that Allen's elbow contributed to that proclivity. This season should clarify if that was a significant factor, or if always giving a priority to the deep shot is indeed a "feature" and not a "bug." For certain, if you start with the premise that you have to reject the deep shot before "settling" for something else, the quick hitter will never effectively be incorporated into your offense. I suspect that Kincaid will emerge as a consistent threat from the slot which should of itself diversify the approach.

Yes 

Scheme is by and large a product of personnel

McKenzie/Davis/Knox do not a productive underneath passing attack make

• Like (+1) 1

Kyle Allen leaves a lot to be desired as a backup QB.  The Bills have clearly been trying to do backup QB on the cheap, journeymen whom they can sign for a little bit of nothing. The exception was Trubisky, but I think they even got him for a decent price since he was on the outs in Chicago.  Unless they get lucky, I suspect the Bills are probably stuck with Kyle Allen this season.  If he continues to disappoint in the regular season, the Bills will go looking again next off season.  It's possible they could find a veteran backup who won't cost an arm and a leg, but they would need to be pretty lucky.  More likely, they will have to put out a little more money.  I think at the same time, they need to start looking for a young developmental QB.  They have as much chance as finding a youngster with the talent to develop into a solid backup as they have of signing a veteran on the cheap who is a great backup. 

8 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Kyle Allen leaves a lot to be desired as a backup QB.  The Bills have clearly been trying to do backup QB on the cheap, journeymen whom they can sign for a little bit of nothing. The exception was Trubisky, but I think they even got him for a decent price since he was on the outs in Chicago.  Unless they get lucky, I suspect the Bills are probably stuck with Kyle Allen this season.  If he continues to disappoint in the regular season, the Bills will go looking again next off season.  It's possible they could find a veteran backup who won't cost an arm and a leg, but they would need to be pretty lucky.  More likely, they will have to put out a little more money.  I think at the same time, they need to start looking for a young developmental QB.  They have as much chance as finding a youngster with the talent to develop into a solid backup as they have of signing a veteran on the cheap who is a great backup. 

I can see a scenario where Kyle Allen is kept as QB2 (at least to start the season) and Barkley let go.  Find the best younger guy to sign to the PS.

It's not ideal at all, but the thought of both K Allen AND Barkley is too much to take.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.