3rd Preseason Postgame Reaction Thread - Bills vs Bears -Are the Bills the best team in the league??

LeGOATski

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Definitely encouraged by a few things but let’s face it Kyle Allen would be hosting a weekend show on Sirius XM college sports if he wasn’t Josh’s golf caddy.

That and MLB depth are really the only things I’m worried about.

He looked like... a backup QB. Let's just say we want JA17 to be the incarnation of great health all year long. But don't expect backup QBs to all be the level of "Tom Brady replacing Drew Bledsoe"...

2 hours ago, NickelCity said:

My biggest positive was seeing quick decisions by Josh with some actual routes available (Dorsey presumably) that lend themself to such an approach. Hope it's the start of a trend. 

Yes I credited Dorsey and I loved what I was seeing. Even Diggs doing underneath routes. Talk about defenses not knowing what will come at them next! Quick passes, sweeps, runs... they can wear and demoralize defenses, while keeping some big plays anytime they want - just use more protection then. I hope that first drive is the style that remains. OLine will look much better too, as these quick plays help them, as an OC should do. That's what the Bengals did.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

He looked like... a backup QB. Let's just say we want JA17 to be the incarnation of great health all year long. But don't expect backup QBs to all be the level of "Tom Brady replacing Drew Bledsoe"...

Yes I credited Dorsey and I loved what I was seeing. Even Diggs doing underneath routes. Talk about defenses not knowing what will come at them next! Quick passes, sweeps, runs... they can wear and demoralize defenses, while keeping some big plays anytime they want - just use more protection then. I hope that first drive is the style that remains. OLine will look much better too, as these quick plays help them, as an OC should do. That's what the Bengals did.

This is how they played the patriots in that playoffs game.  The sink-and-dunk helped making the perfect game 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, newcam2012 said:

What I liked is Allen hitting the quick short passes. Something we didn't see enough of last year. Mixing up the passing game will make this offense lethal. 

I think Allen sometimes likes to hold on to the ball and see what will develop when there are times he has 1-2 guys open underneath early.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

I think Allen sometimes likes to hold on to the ball and see what will develop when there are times he has 1-2 guys open underneath early.

That happens when you can make any throw on the field.

4 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

So you are saying he isn't captain checkdown, and somehow this is a problem. 

Just now, Chaos said:

So you are saying he isn't captain checkdown, and somehow this is a problem. 

No one is asking Allen to ignore his super powers or to stop the daring that can result in extraordinary plays. None of that contradicts the fact that the Bills are a much more lethal offense when they take advantage of the easy, available yards. If you are always going for the long ball, you become much more predictable, whilst relying on lower percentage plays. Surely, this is obvious. 

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Josh and the offense played lights out.

The defense was aggressive and made stops.

McDermott can obviously handle the dual roles. 

This team is definitely going to the Super Bowl.

Wow, what a time to be alive!

Brandon Beane said on the telecast that McDermott gave up the defensive play calling for this game. I don't mean to rain on your sarcastic parade

32 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

No one is asking Allen to ignore his super powers or to stop the daring that can result in extraordinary plays. None of that contradicts the fact that the Bills are a much more lethal offense when they take advantage of the easy, available yards. If you are always going for the long ball, you become much more predictable, whilst relying on lower percentage plays. Surely, this is obvious. 

The Bills punted and turnver the ball over combined in 2022 less than anyone.  Allen runs the most effective non-redzone offense in the league by a considerable margin.  Thier is zero room for productivity outside the redzone.  Already the best, and this theoretical underneath stuff you are talking about, doesn't exist in the red zone.  please provide a video of Allen passing up an open underneath reciever in the redzone in 2022.  There simply weren't open recievers there. Nothing for Allen to ignore.  Rambling on with cliches like "balanced offense" or "take what the give you" is just blather. Sorry to be be so straight foward.  But Allen is the best. And it is so stupid to try to change the things that work.  

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The Bills punted and turnver the ball over combined in 2022.  Allen runs the most effective non-redzone offense in the league by a considerable margin.  Thier is zero room for productivity outside the redzone.  Already the best, and this theoretical underneath stuff you are talking about, doesn't exist in the red zone.  please provide a video of Allen passing up an open underneath reciever in the redzone in 2022.  There simply weren't open recievers there. Nothing for Allen to ignore.  Rambling on with cliches like "balanced offense" or "take what the give you" is just blather. Sorry to be be so straight foward.  But Allen is the best. And it is so stupid to try to change the things that work.  

I dunno, maybe you're talking into your phone. First sentence needs a missing number. I infer turned for turnver. There, not thier, receiver, not reciever. Sloppy grammar and spelling does not obviate a point, but it is distracting and bad form. Naturally, RZ issues are a different matter. One can only hope that a strengthened IOL, some power RBs, and 12 personnel will propel Dorsey to be more creative in the tight spaces and yield better results. The flow of an offense is more than yards gained. I maintain that you put a defense back on its heels when you are both potent and less predictable. That may, indeed, actually affect RZ efficiency. You are free to think otherwise.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

15 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The Bills punted and turnver the ball over combined in 2022 less than anyone.  Allen runs the most effective non-redzone offense in the league by a considerable margin.  Thier is zero room for productivity outside the redzone.  Already the best, and this theoretical underneath stuff you are talking about, doesn't exist in the red zone.  please provide a video of Allen passing up an open underneath reciever in the redzone in 2022.  There simply weren't open recievers there. Nothing for Allen to ignore.  Rambling on with cliches like "balanced offense" or "take what the give you" is just blather. Sorry to be be so straight foward.  But Allen is the best. And it is so stupid to try to change the things that work.  

Very well put

His reads under Dorsey are deep to shallow, it's a function of the offense and not a bug 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.