Maddy Glab and other podcasters

TC in St. Louis

4 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

I cannot stand listening to Maddy "Gab" on One Bills Live. Her research and writing are okay but she talks endlessly.

This was brought up a year or two ago...My opinion on her hasn't changed.

I don't mind her ideas and thoughts. She may go on a bit long but that doesn't bother me. It seems she does her research pretty well and is prepared for the job. She has a good relationship with her contacts on the team.  As a prepared broadcaster she is fine, shall I say in some areas she is good.  BUT, I have a problem with her voice, it is hard for me to listen to. I know, its not her fault, but it is something that when I listen to her it is hard for me to focus on what she is talking about for long periods of time.

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I know, its not her fault, but it is something that when I listen to her it is hard for me to focus on what she is talking about for long periods of time.

Yes, it's not her fault she's a woman. Good observation there buddy. 

9 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

I cannot stand listening to Maddy "Gab" on One Bills Live. Her research and writing are okay but she talks endlessly. I won't bother listening to any of her podcasts. 

She cant stop after ONE talking point; always has to spew every single piece of info on a subject. Can't make one GOOD point; wants to keep piling on every note she took on a player or subject.

Whoever she works for needs to teach her how to focus on QUALITY not QUANTITY. 

You can see Brown,Tasker and guests like Trapasso cringe while she babbles on and on.

This week I noticed she often talked for 5 minutes straight before giving Trapasso an opportunity to share. 

I go to the bathroom when she starts talking. Or switch the channel to sitcom reruns. When I get back to One Bills Live she is usually still talking 

I bet you have no problem listening to Tasker tell tales of lore from yesteryear. That twenty-minute story about the time he shoveled his driveway by himself was pure football gold, right?

Not sure if someone mentioned him yet, but Joe Marino on “ Locked on Bills” podcast series and YouTube is, IMO, the best guy to listen to when it comes to Billls football.

I listen to Cover 1, Chris and Steve, and most of the local dudes as well. 

you have to check out Locked on Bills 💯‼️

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Maddy Glab and her nails on a chalkboard voice need to disappear from the face of the earth.  She also has a weird enunciation of words at times…maybe partly her accent.  Not sure where she was born and raised. 

👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻

Oof 😣 I can hear this brain-addled comment being spewed in the worst rust-belt accent. It's embarrassing. 

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Really, and what does Glabb provide of value for you? Have you listened?

I've listened. Would you like me to tell you?

10 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I keep up with Bills news through a few podcasts.  Joe Marino is my daily choice, but I also tune in to One Bills Live and Shout.  Are there others you can recommend?

I appreciate the enthusiasm of Maddy Glab...it's clear she loves this team and is quite knowledgable.  However, I prefer listening to Chris Brown and Steve Tasker.  The other day Maddy went on and on about Trey Lance, and the next day spent another 15 minutes or so talking about the 49'ers third backup.  It seems that the callers to that show know just as much as Maddy but sometimes she madsplains stuff we've already heard.

I also enjoy Bruce Nolan, who comes up with some strange yet effective analogies about the game of football.

Who else should I try?

Maddy is kind of meh for me.  Seems like a nice enough person but doesn’t add much as a host.  

I can’t say that I really enjoy Chris Brown.  He doesn’t really say anything I find insightful and never has a very strong opinion on anything. I know he was suspended a few summers ago for what he reported, so maybe he’s overly cautious.  

I do enjoy listening to Sal.  He too does kind of seem to walk the line when it comes to criticism of the Bills.  He’s more critical than Brown, but stops short of really giving a strong opinion like he does with other teams/players.  

5 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I wish I was surprised. It's kind of funny that the takes are misogyny 101. The biggest indictment is that she "talks too much" on a medium exclusively created to listen to people talk. The fact that it's admitted that she's very knowledgeable about the game but is seemingly irrelevant is bananas. Never in my life have I heard a male analyst be degraded solely on the sound of his voice.

It just reinforces my belief that most people are 🗑️

I think Maddy is very knowledgeable but the other day (with Chris T,) she couldn't end a sentence even when in question form. It was tough to listen to. Especially after she had said the same things the day before with Tasker regarding Tre Lance. .... Man, I think she's a doll but wish she had not tried to melt my brain with repetitive Tre Lance garble! .... that's all... 

I stopped listening locally once Art Wanderer retired.  Nationally, I do like the PFF podcast with Monson and Palozallo as their knowledge about each team is quite impressive.  Plus, it's not a debate show which is always a plus.    If you hate PFF then don't bother though. 

I do think maddys improved over the years  from terrible to bad.  

marino is the best.  Nolan up next.  I like Tompsett, but I’m not a fan of Quinn.  I like Turner but Prohaskas voice is worse than Glabbs imo.  

I find Judge Mathis and Tilt to be an lol easy listen most of the time.  

The AfC round table is embarrassing.  Dan Mitchell is a poor representation of our fan base.  That’s       probably why he’s on the show.  

For football content in general, I enjoy Bootleg football.  Brett Kollman and RJ Snyder know their stuff and are very informative 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Maddy is kind of meh for me.  Seems like a nice enough person but doesn’t add much as a host.  

I can’t say that I really enjoy Chris Brown.  He doesn’t really say anything I find insightful and never has a very strong opinion on anything. I know he was suspended a few summers ago for what he reported, so maybe he’s overly cautious.  

I do enjoy listening to Sal.  He too does kind of seem to walk the line when it comes to criticism of the Bills.  He’s more critical than Brown, but stops short of really giving a strong opinion like he does with other teams/players.  

I prefer Sal when he does his segments with the other guys on WGR, 10 minutes or so at a time. I always download those during the season. I don't really enjoy him hosting a show himself though.

Another I listen to now and then is Peacock and Williamson as part of the locked on podcasts. Matt Williamson is very good IMO. Years ago he worked with Ross Tucker on an ESPN podcast before Tucker went solo. He's a former scout (Browns so take that for what it's worth) but tends to evaluate players in that way, similar to how Greg Cosell does). 

If you guys have never listened and are looking for something new it's worth a shot.

I guess an obvious one is Around the NFL but those guys annoy me when I listen too much so I tend to stick to the preview shows and the rounds-ups after the games

22 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Good to see the misogyny in full bloom at TBD.  The hate rains down on female broadcasters not named Kay Adams or Cynthia Frelund.

So we're not allowed to say out loud that we dislike someone that [happens to be] female?

That indeed sounds sexist, but not in the way you are alluding to.

Your post is more divisive than pretty much any other post in this thread.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Yawning Frog said:

All these podcasts are a HUGE! waste of time can't stand any of them. I just don't like talk shows of any kind especially by these amateur nobodies.:wallbash:

Rushing headlong into Andy Warhol's prediction that everyone will experience 15 minutes of fame.

On 8/27/2023 at 12:17 AM, TC in St. Louis said:

I keep up with Bills news through a few podcasts.  Joe Marino is my daily choice, but I also tune in to One Bills Live and Shout.  Are there others you can recommend?

I appreciate the enthusiasm of Maddy Glab...it's clear she loves this team and is quite knowledgable.  However, I prefer listening to Chris Brown and Steve Tasker.  The other day Maddy went on and on about Trey Lance, and the next day spent another 15 minutes or so talking about the 49'ers third backup.  It seems that the callers to that show know just as much as Maddy but sometimes she madsplains stuff we've already heard.

I also enjoy Bruce Nolan, who comes up with some strange yet effective analogies about the game of football.

Who else should I try?

Cover1.

Most particularly Greg Tompsett and Erik Turner. Ant is good too.

They put out an absolute ton of content. I can't listen to anywhere near all of it, I'd overdose. But the best of their stuff is very very good indeed.

They do a lot of tape review, so some of it you have to watch as well as listen. But not all, and their tape stuff is often among their very best.

On 8/26/2023 at 11:35 AM, HOUSE said:

Don't even think about saying anything negative about Maddy Glab on this board. I made that mistake once.  

Even if you are right, just don't say it....you will be sorry.

Her commentary is flawless and she is wonderful 

I am a huge fan....

I think it’s important to understand Maddy’s role. She’s a Buffalo Bills employee doing PR, media relations and one of the faces to the public.  I don’t know that she studied or has any kind of extensive training in the broadcasting field. I’d bet she’s a really kind person who most people would like having as a friend or co-worker. I think her and Tasker have good chemistry on One Bills Live. 
Chris Brown is another one that takes the time to understand the game, players, cap, etc. Very knowledgeable. Just wish he’d learn to shut up when Tasker is talking. He interupts constantly. On some discussions I’m more interested in hearing from Tasker and his perspective as a former player, but Brown is forever cutting him off before we hear Tasker’s complete thought or answer.  Brownie acts like he IS the show and Tasker is little more than his sidekick, a la Ed McMahon. 
But regardless of the minor peeves, it’s great to hear the local talk for us out of towers. 

Edited by SoMAn

1 hour ago, Yawning Frog said:

All these podcasts are a HUGE! waste of time can't stand any of them. I just don't like talk shows of any kind especially by these amateur nobodies.:wallbash:

That's fine but why bother posting in the thread then? It seems like a waste of time to post about how you don't like talk shows in a thread about talk shows. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, bklnpete said:

Yes, it's not her fault she's a woman. Good observation there buddy. 

Don't be a jerk your whole life. For some of us our writing style is to parse what we are going to say.  I guess your are one of those people who's ego needs the fake victory lap of making smart-*ss comments toward other people so you can feel just a bit smarter in your own mind....."buddy"

• Like (+1) 1

There all poor today for the most part I don’t listen to any of them because I am old. I know what I see on the field. If I don’t know what I see on the field after almost 50 years watching Buffalo sports in this Buffalo market I mind as well stop watching sports. I know what I am watching I don’t need Buffalo or National sportscasters old enough to be my son or daughter to tell me what I just watched. But Buffalo Super Fan maybe you will learn something? I learn new things everyday but sports wise it never really changes you win or you lose. Once you watched as long as I have you know that is all that really matters in sports that basically concept you either won or you lost. Yes the markets change the game grows but it is still win or lose and one champion yearly nothing else matters in sports in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Agree 1

My trifecta is Joe Marino (Locked on Bills), Bruce Nolan (The Bruce Exclusive), and the Cover 1 crew (mostly Nate and Anthony). I do have to give a tip of the hat to Howard & Jeremy (it's radio, so does that count 🤷‍♂️). During the whole emergence of Tyrod Taylor, their "Who's the quarterback, thooo?" became Western New York vernacular. Priceless. 

I also gotta say, more "Bruce-isms" have crept into my daily life than I realize, until I think about it. My top Bruce-isms are:

-Isolate the variable.

-Expectations minus reality equal disappointment.

-Intellectual honesty. 

Dude just cranks out catchy sayings like it's his job. Would make a good community college professor, as a side hustle.

Edited by ROCBillsBeliever

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.