Josh Allen and starters will play against the Bears

HappyDays

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I’m all for it. The “don’t play the starters” crowd was a lot quieter after last weeks fart. 

Im always good with watching Josh Allen led football, idc if it doesn’t count in the W-L column. 

I think that was more than just a fart. I think there was a little moisture in there. They were all a little messy in the shorts after that one. 

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Need to do a deep dive on Twitter too see if Edmonds ever intercepted Josh at camp or practice.

Training Camp Highlight: Tremaine Edmunds Makes The Interception

Watch as Bills linebacker Tremaine Edmunds makes an interception on Monday at 2022 Buffalo Bills Training Camp at St. John Fisher University.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/training-camp-highlight-tremaine-edmunds-makes-the-interception

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

Please let the first play be Josh throwing a pick six to Edmunds.

I just want to watch this board implode

Aside from the entertainment of the board exploding, that would make the massively overrated/hyped Jets the favorites against us for easy money.

7 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Interesting. I don't think that was the original plan, but I could be wrong.  I have a feeling McDermott hopes to end the pre-season on a high note, and build the teams confidence going into week one.

Let's also consider that when the game ends, the Bills will have 16 days until the Jets game.

That's a long time for the starters to go without any real playing time.

If they were not to play in the Bears, that means the starters will have gone 23 days without real playing time. 

That's a big gap.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, I am leaving for good said:

I think this is a bad idea to put Josh Allen at risk in a meaningless preseason football game again. The Buffalo Bills also need to scan the waiver wire for a better more experienced back up at quarterback and offensive line options than what the Buffalo Bills have now in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I thought you left? 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, sven233 said:

According to many on this board, Edmunds is flat out awful so we should just send Kincaid at him a few times and we'll go right down the field and score to allow us to get out starters out after a quick series.

Doesn't feel like an accurate representation of the sentiment among those who were against re-signing Edmunds. I've found that most fans who wanted the team to move on from Edmunds felt like his lack of impact plays and his ineffectiveness as a blitzer made him unworthy of the contract he'd get on the open market. He's obviously assignment-sound and rangy enough to cover a lot of ground in coverage, but he's otherwise pretty unspectacular. Someone was going to overpay him, and I'm glad it wasn't the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Doesn't feel like an accurate representation of the sentiment among those who were against re-signing Edmunds. I've found that most fans who wanted the team to move on from Edmunds felt like his lack of impact plays and his ineffectiveness as a blitzer made him unworthy of the contract he'd get on the open market. He's obviously assignment-sound and rangy enough to cover a lot of ground in coverage, but he's otherwise pretty unspectacular. Someone was going to overpay him, and I'm glad it wasn't the Bills.

No

People legitimately thought Edmunds was so bad that now we mysteriously have even worse players in his position...they convince themselves that middle linebacker actually doesn't matter and it's not an important position to McDermott😂😂

Remember this is the 3rd pre-season game. The traditional starters play a half game. How teams treat them has changed a bit since they webt from 4 games to 3, but this was always considered the optimum sort of gap between final warm up and week 1. 

What I would say is before last week I was for sitting Allen the entire pre-season. Having seen last week I feel strangely more in favour of playing him tomorrow. Still think on balance its a big risk. But, would be kinda nice to see the offense look in some kind of sync on Saturday and Josh to just look a bit more settled and less frantic.

22 hours ago, FireChans said:

Folks that say preseason doesn't matter are sick to find out the coach is punishing the starters by making them play in this one because of how crappy they looked

Tons of teams are playing their starters. The Bills are not unique. And they may have planned to regardless of what happened last week.

The risk is overplayed simply because there's no real benefit. Even if Josh marches down the field in 20 seconds is that really going to make a difference weeks from now? A knee injury on the other hand...

I think the benefits of anything involving preseason is overplayed and and any argument for it is contradictory. These professionals that have scored touchdowns literally hundreds of times in their lives need to now do it against the Bears this week for it to really matter? Nah. If there's still that much desperation to "gel" at this point then McD's seat should be practically on fire.            

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I really want to see Josh manipulate Edmunds in coverage with his eyes, the way Mahomes always abused him doing that. Make him think you're throwing to whatever speedy replacement-level KC receiver is running the crossing route, while Kelce just sits down in the zone for a 20 yard gain.

41 minutes ago, Nelius said:

The risk is overplayed simply because there's no real benefit. Even if Josh marches down the field in 20 seconds is that really going to make a difference weeks from now? A knee injury on the other hand...

I think the benefits of anything involving preseason is overplayed and and any argument for it is contradictory. These professionals that have scored touchdowns literally hundreds of times in their lives need to now do it against the Bears this week for it to really matter? Nah. If there's still that much desperation to "gel" at this point then McD's seat should be practically on fire.            

Its hard to score TD's and win football games playing as sloppy as Buffalo did vs the Steelers IMO. 

Desperation because you want your starters ready for the regular season?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Figster said:

Its hard to score TD's and win football games playing as sloppy as Buffalo did vs the Steelers IMO. 

Desperation because you want your starters ready for the regular season?

We can go in infinite circles on this I'm sure but why are they not ready and how exactly is 15 minutes against the Bears going to dramatically change that? Desperation may be the best word for it unfortunately.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Hes so bad that you completely forgot that his backups in Buffalo dont even look like NFL linebackers let alone an upgrade and we have a glaring hole at MLB.

He’s so bad that Beane and co. watched Bernard and Dodson and said “yeah, we still don’t wanna pay him” lol

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

We can go in infinite circles on this I'm sure but why are they not ready and how exactly is 15 minutes against the Bears going to dramatically change that? Desperation may be the best word for it unfortunately.

The lack of actual game reps IMO. Rust

Getting obliterated by the Jets is not the way to start the season...

22 hours ago, Commish said:

Cover 1 suggested that what may have happened last game was that the plan was to go all long-developing routes, no short routes, and see if the offense could protect based simply on the 5 base o-linemen -  and that against a very stout Pittsburgh defense. And, as has been pointed out, the D knew Allen wasn't going to take off so they didn't have to defend that.

Coaches: “ok Josh we don’t want you running at all in this meaningless game to keep you healthy.”

Also coaches: “we want to see if our sieve of a o-line has improved since last season so we’re going to specifically game plan to put the utmost stress on them against one of the best defensive lines in the league.”

Sadly I could see this being legit 😅

47 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Correct but what us the upside? Nothing. So it is all risk even low with no reward. Equals bad decision. 

I have zero doubt that McD has his reasons.  He wouldn't do it if he didn't think there was upside.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

He’s so bad that Beane and co. watched Bernard and Dodson and said “yeah, we still don’t wanna pay him” lol

I have no problem with not paying Edmunds $18 million a year. I do have a problem with Beane's decision not to address the position in free agency.  

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I have no problem with not paying Edmunds $18 million a year. I do have a problem with Beane's decision not to address the position in free agency.  

Meh, as long as they can play the run decently I’m not sweating. 

On the back end, if Poyer/Hyde/White can perform to their usual standards, I doubt our pass defense takes much of a dive if at all.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.