We need Bernard to at least be average

John from Riverside

Bills should have drafted Devin Lloyd last year instead of Kair Elam in last years draft......Elam still has done nothing to lock down CB2, and the players the Bills have at MLB right now just aren't cutting it.

Defensive Talent Devin Lloyd Makes Impact in Intense Jaguars-Lions Joint Practice

Aug 16, 2023 at 07:18 PM

John Oehser

Jaguars Senior Writer

ALLEN PARK, Mich. – Devin Lloyd feels good these days, and why not?

The second-year linebacker through three weeks of Jaguars 2023 Training Camp increasingly is playing more like a second-year player – which means playing with more confidence, more speed, more awareness and more ease.

That also has meant more plays, which was the case again on Wednesday on Day 16 of '23 camp.

"It's so much more fun," Lloyd said.

Lloyd, the No. 27 overall selection in the 2022 NFL Draft and a starting inside linebacker next to Foye Oluokun in the Jaguars' 3-4 defense, was among the standouts Wednesday in the first of two consecutive days of joint practices against the Detroit Lions. He not only had an early one-handed interception, he had a near interception late in practice and a would-be sack on a pass rush.

Jaguars veteran outside linebacker Josh Allen said days such as Wednesday are unsurprising, and said he expects Lloyd to be an All-Pro Player "within the next year."

"I thought last year he was a hell of a linebacker for us," Allen said. "He went through his little rookie flows or whatever, but I think now he's starting to put it all together."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Because Dodson is not it

Klein’s old

They don’t appear to want to give bailin Spector, a legitimate shot at the job

They don’t want to rush our rook into the position

Fingers crossed

I mean maybe? Fingers crossed indeed because they have a big problem in the middle of that defense. Dodson is not the answer. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Special K said:

Bills should have drafted Devin Lloyd last year instead of Kair Elam in last years draft......Elam still has done nothing to lock down CB2, and the players the Bills have at MLB right now just aren't cutting it.

It takes three years to evaluate a draft.  Lloyd was pretty bad last year so I'm not going to say right now it was a huge mistake passing up on him based off training camp reports.  I'm also not going to panic about Elam yet either as he showed some flashes last year and is still very young (just turned 22). 

What I can say is that Beane at this point looks like he severely miscalculated at the MLB spot in either resigning Edmunds or finding a viable replacement in the draft and/or free agency.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Bernard, our hero.

No one can convince me that Rashaan Evans wouldn’t be a better option than Dodson.

2 hours ago, Special K said:

Defensive Talent Devin Lloyd Makes Impact in Intense Jaguars-Lions Joint Practice

Aug 16, 2023 at 07:18 PM

John Oehser

Jaguars Senior Writer

ALLEN PARK, Mich. – Devin Lloyd feels good these days, and why not?

The second-year linebacker through three weeks of Jaguars 2023 Training Camp increasingly is playing more like a second-year player – which means playing with more confidence, more speed, more awareness and more ease.

That also has meant more plays, which was the case again on Wednesday on Day 16 of '23 camp.

"It's so much more fun," Lloyd said.

Lloyd, the No. 27 overall selection in the 2022 NFL Draft and a starting inside linebacker next to Foye Oluokun in the Jaguars' 3-4 defense, was among the standouts Wednesday in the first of two consecutive days of joint practices against the Detroit Lions. He not only had an early one-handed interception, he had a near interception late in practice and a would-be sack on a pass rush.

Jaguars veteran outside linebacker Josh Allen said days such as Wednesday are unsurprising, and said he expects Lloyd to be an All-Pro Player "within the next year."

"I thought last year he was a hell of a linebacker for us," Allen said. "He went through his little rookie flows or whatever, but I think now he's starting to put it all together."

Should have drafted Tremaine Edmunds backup in the first round?

Unless the Bills knew Edmunds wasn’t returning then this doesn’t make sense. If they would’ve drafted Lloyd then they probably trade Edmunds last year and use his cap space.

Yes, with what we know today Lloyd would’ve been the right pick. But at the time of the draft it would’ve been odd. We’d also probably be down on Lloyd because he obviously wasn’t ready to handle the NFL last year.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Because Dodson is not it

Klein’s old

They don’t appear to want to give bailin Spector, a legitimate shot at the job

They don’t want to rush our rook into the position

Fingers crossed

Only a preseason game,  but if things go bad this season Beane is going to be on the hot seat. We essentially have one starting level LB on this team and the rest are useless

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It might be a platoon at the position. Dodson and Klein on potential run downs, Bernard on passing downs.

Not ideal. McDermott will need to scheme around them. I don't know how realistic it is to bring in a new MLB and expect him to start, especially given they need to call plays and lead the defense. That ship has sailed, I think.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

They are going to play more 4-1-6 looks with Rapp on the field with Poyer and Hyde would be my guess.  I don’t think they got Rapp just to sit as a backup.  Haven’t watched the game yet but sounds like Dodson wasn’t the only guy on defense that didn’t have a great game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It takes three years to evaluate a draft.  Lloyd was pretty bad last year so I'm not going to say right now it was a huge mistake passing up on him based off training camp reports.  I'm also not going to panic about Elam yet either as he showed some flashes last year and is still very young (just turned 22). 

What I can say is that Beane at this point looks like he severely miscalculated at the MLB spot in either resigning Edmunds or finding a viable replacement in the draft and/or free agency.

Lions overdrafting Jack Campbell at #18 overall did not help.   Was pretty sure he would fall to the Bills, perhaps even in the 2nd round, but not even close.   No other starter prospects in the draft this year.   Kincaid will be very good though.   Bernard will probably be the guy, they are just making sure his hammy is fully healed before putting him out there for an entire season.   Just my sense.   Who knows.  Maybe Rapp plays the position. 

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Dorian Williams looks like a player but he’s a rookie and man rewatching the long TD run Dodson was totally out of position and once Poyer took the wrong angle I don’t want to think about it. 

Dodson reminded me of Edmunds on that play, biting on something that took him to the wrong side.

If we're going to suck there, maybe it is time to give the rookie a look. At least he seems like a hitter and has good instincts--at this point, I'll take that over total incompetence.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

People are being way too dramatic about MLB, even otherwise reasonable posters.

Defense averaged 17.9 points last year. Even if switching from Edmunds to Dodson would directly cause 4 more points (which I don't think is realistic, it has to be less), we are still fine with 22 points against on average, as long as offense is same or better than last year. Not to mention pass rush should be better (Floyd) and secondary has a chance to be better (White). Defense will be fine with Dodson, Klein, Bernard or whoever else. And we can still adjust putting Rapp there sometimes or so.

Same with backup QB, that issue is completely overblown. Only thing that matters is that we have backup QB for league minimum.

Only thing that concerns me right now are tackles. That is the real issue if it doesn't get better.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

58 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Lions overdrafting Jack Campbell at #18 overall did not help.   Was pretty sure he would fall to the Bills, perhaps even in the 2nd round, but not even close.   No other starter prospects in the draft this year.   Kincaid will be very good though.   Bernard will probably be the guy, they are just making sure his hammy is fully healed before putting him out there for an entire season.   Just my sense.   Who knows.  Maybe Rapp plays the position. 

the lions overdrafting Campbell had zero impact on us.  

Imagine if we took Jack Campbell over Dalton Kincaid? 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Hate to say it, but the lack of a quality MLB could be the downfall of McD. 

if this team loses I first round of playoffs, I gotta think they consider moving on for Josh’s sake. 

bernard is slow. Not sure how Dorian Williams will be, but it can’t be any worse than Dodson I think

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Dorian Williams looks like a player but he’s a rookie and man rewatching the long TD run Dodson was totally out of position and once Poyer took the wrong angle I don’t want to think about it. 

I saw it the same way on both counts.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.