OT…opinions of ESPN anymore?

78thealltimegreat

I stopped watching ESPN about a decade ago....   for all the reasons listed

I can get all the football / hockey info I need through the forums and the multitude of online journalism thats focused on what I'm intersted in and no longer  have to listen to ESPN blather on about stuff I'm not interested in

I sometimes watch sportscenter on Saturday mornings, otherwise I dont turn it on.    They went from being a network that had one opinion based show, to a network with people talking non-stop all the time.  I miss the days of the Sports Reporters being the only opinion based show.   The network is non-stop noise now.  My life is noisy enough, I dont need more people yelling at me.    

ESPN would be smart to try and put on programming for more "intelligent" fans who care about the intricacies and histories of Football, Baseball and Basketball.     Crazy people yelling at one another, pickleball, soccer, and cornhole isnt going to sway me to watch. 

In terms of pre and post games, I turn on the game when it starts and turn it off when it ends.   See the noise thing.   I am 40 years old, I've heard people talk long enough.   Most of the time people are just saying words to take up air time, for the most part its meaningless babble.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

ESPN (including ESPN+) for me these days is just for live sports. Love the golf coverage streaming options they have for many PGA events, like the college sports streaming availability, etc.

Haven't watched a studio show since the Mike & Mike days...liked Golic, but hate-watched Greenberg. Literally cannot remember the last time I watched SportsCenter...has to be over 10 years ago. 99% of their other shows are unwatchable dreck that even their mothers are embarrassed about.

I haven’t personally sought out ESPN or ESPN content outside of live games (NFL & NHL) in over 10 years. The network’s shtick was played out and grew tiresome. Leave the over-the-top sports entertainment for the WWE. It has been a pleasure to ignore the talking heads and I haven’t given losing ESPN content a second thought.

• Like (+1) 1

ESPN was incredible when it was DP, Rich, stu, and olberman on sportcenter. They had fantastic NFL coverage with Berman and Tom Jackson, now they are a parody, living off hot takes and crazy gimmicks. I've gotten much better content from YouTube that actually talks about SPORTS. I rarely watch ESPN unless they're an exclusive broadcast of a game like the Yankees on Sunday night baseball, but I can skip watching the game and get an alert when the Yankees inevitably get shut out 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I know their love/hate relationship with the Bills with certain reporters as people like Ryan Clark, Mike Greenberg, and Kimberly Martin are just nauseating with Jets coverage to the point you literally think they are just acting now. 
But I do enjoy Dan Orlovsky and a few others analysts and I really love their college football coverage. Thoughts? 

Clark, Greenberg, Martin are not reporters.

They are paid by ESPN to give their takes in order to inflame you. 

• Agree 1

I literally do not even have espn anymore.  

It changed forever in the late 00's.

I use to absolutely love espn's baseball coverage with Peter Gammons, Jayson Stark, Buster Olney, Harold Reynolds..etc..

They  only care about nfl players and basketball highlights at this point.  

The monday night football broadcast has been bad for a real long time.  The pregame show is unwatchable and now with Smug Aikman and Joe Buck its not any better.  

It just felt better in the old days when sports were seasonal...I love the nfl but I don't need reports on the nfl 365 days a year.  same with all the other sports, in their downtime leave them be.  When ESPN had AWA Wrestling on in the afternoons followed by old nfl films highlight shows, especially the super bowl shows it was a great time to have espn.  

I just dislike talking heads all day.  If it was just like one hour of honorable and  intelligent reporters discussing sports like they used to on sunday mornings with the sunday morning sports reporters show it would still be something I would like.  That is another show that was great once a week and I look forward to because of Peter Gammons, Mike Lupica, Bob Ryan etc.

Edited by MikePJ76

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.