Areas/towns to stay for us out of state fans traveling in Oct?

Cache

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I usually stay at the Hampton Inn on Main St in Williamsville. You can easily walk to multiple restaurants and bars like the Creekview, Glen Park Tavern, The Irishman Pub, etc.  That was “home” to me, so I’m biased, but I think it’s a great area. 

Britesmith Brewing is there also. Great atmosphere even if I find their beer to be very basic for craft brewing

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I usually stay at the Hampton Inn on Main St in Williamsville. You can easily walk to multiple restaurants and bars like the Creekview, Glen Park Tavern, The Irishman Pub, etc.  That was “home” to me, so I’m biased, but I think it’s a great area. 

Also a great idea. Main St in Williamsville is a great spot. Lots of local bars/restaurants and home to the best Ice Cream you’ll ever find at Sweet Jennys just off Main st. Not a ton of shopping imo tho. Lots of specialty shops. 

28 minutes ago, Augie said:

One of my neighbors (from here in my Woodstock, Ga subdivision) was at the Creekview a couple of days ago, posting pictures that my wife shared with me. Jealous.  I suggested they check out GP Tavern too. I’ve only been on the back patio at the Irishman. Don’t know what was going on, but it smelled like raw sewage coming from Ellicott Creek. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

48 minutes ago, Augie said:

Creek view is tight

• Agree 1

I grew up in the Northtowns and have never spent any significant time in East Aurora.  I might have played some high school sports there against East Aurora High.  I had a friend who lived there and went to his house a few times (which was a very nice house), but it was in a pretty remote, almost wooded area.  My understanding of it is that it's a quaint suburban area.  While you could walk from place to place there, do people really do that?  I'd think people drive in that area.  For folks coming in from out of state that want to be in a truly walkable area, the Buffalo metro area is pretty limited.  I'd recommend something in the City of Buffalo, in the Elmwood Village area.  There are several blocks of bars, restaurants, coffee houses, and shops there.  The Albright-Knox Art Gallery, parts of Delaware Park, and the Buff State campus are all within walking distance.  It's a very nice area, with several blocks of beautiful old mansions to look at, although the area along Elmwood is urban, so it has some grit to it (in a good way, in my opinion).  It's probably one of the few areas in the Buffalo Metro Area where people really DO walk from place to place.

The one advantage to East Aurora would be that it's close to the stadium, but if staying in town for several days, I wouldn't make that a determining factor.

2 hours ago, mrags said:

my one question was where in Williamsville did you stay? If it was the Marriot on Millersport highway or one of the other hotels here there. It’s a nice spot but not anything in walking distance really. It’s a few minute drive to the Niagara Falls Blvd and Maple area where there is a bunch of options. But nothing amazing really. Mostly chain restaurants. 

Great information everybody. Thank you so much! Bills fans are the best. When we stayed in Williamsville, we stayed at the Tru by Hilton near the airport. I loved it!

Just now, Cache said:

Great information everybody. Thank you so much! Bills fans are the best. When we stayed in Williamsville, we stayed at the Tru by Hilton near the airport. I loved it!

HAHA. Hilarious you said that. I’m currently at the Cracker Barrel right next door as we speak. Yeah, it’s a pretty good area with a lot of restaurants around. Mostly chains though. But there is some local stuff around that you can enjoy. 

russels

teds

anchor bar

bar bill in main st

picassos is a solid pizza spot

Salvatore’s is close by

they were planning on building a huge brewery right across the street where a hotel used to stand. But I think Covid ruined those plans. 

11 minutes ago, Cache said:

The Hilton in Niagara Falls (CANADA) is much much much better.

1 United States Dollar = 1.35 Canadian Dollar

Edited by HIT BY SPIKES

Growing up there, the only time I'd venture to the Southtowns is for Bills games or skiing,  ha ha

I'm partial to making Williamsville/Amherst the home base for a visit and having a car to hit downtown, the Falls, various wing joints,etc... as time permits.

6 hours ago, Beast said:

I’d recommend Niagara Falls, Canada. Just get up extra early on game day to cross the border.

I wouldn't advise going to Canada on game day, any other day no problem. There are a fair amount of Canadians that go to the games and clog up the border making crossing more time consuming. Me being one of them.

15 hours ago, Draconator said:

You will receive MANY suggestions. Here's mine. The village of East Aurora. There's Bar Bill and many other places to eat on one end of Main Street (Misters, burgers and such, nice bar, Pasquale's Italian Restaurant, The Pulled Yolk breakfast place, and a small bit of a walk, there's an ice cream shop owned by Steve Tasker's son. The other end of Main Street is more of a shopping district and higher-end restaurants (Ricks on Main). There's a Hampton Inn just off of Main at the end of the Main Street Strip. If you really wanted to impress your wife and family, however, stay at the Roycroft Inn. It's pricy but totally worth the cost. The Roycroft is in the middle of the Main Street Strip. The best part is it is a straight shot down Route 20A right to the Stadium. About 10 minutes not taking into account stadium traffic. 

Ex Pat 20 year EA resident here. Can confirm. You can walk the whole town. Don't forget Walleneins

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Staying that close to the Falls...

...does the sound of the water make you want to pee all the time?

It sure does but the Hilton Hotel has fabulous luxury toilets and the jetted double sized tubs that give a view of both Falls.

I sometimes just pee in the tub when the wife is either not in it yet or has just left the tub.

That is what the bubble bath stuff is for...to cover up the urine addition.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Creek view is tight

Went there with my parents as a kid (when it was still Creekside), and still go back every trip. I took our boys to WNY for a Bills home game when they turned 16. A rite of passage, I suppose. It was a quintessential Buffalo scene - when the people at the bar learned why we were there they were all begging us to come to their tailgate. And they really meant it! I love that! 

I bumped into Ralph there, literally, one Saturday night before a Sunday game. He was coming out of the restroom as I was going in. Tight quarters and neither of us was paying much attention. I may have had an adult beverage or five. Then, in his revenge, his little Pope-Mobile almost ran me over driving him around at the stadium the next day!  Ralph is………….…..vengeful!  😋

5 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Note to some members: 

not everyone is that into beer drinking and breweries. Yeah, I know it’s a rust belt tradition and considered completely normal to down a 6-pack every evening for many of you, but believe it or not, alcoholic beverages aren’t often a high priority for family vacations. 
When I relocated to the Atlanta burbs 37 years ago, I was surprised what a different culture it was where people drinking beer and smoking a pack of Marlboros every day wasn’t nearly as common as what I’d experienced growing up in Buffalo. 
So, when a group of college roommates or hockey teammates are looking for leisure activity, the Elmwood strip or the Canadian ballet may be good recommendations.  But for most families with kids and in-laws, those aren’t usually go-to spots to enjoy a wholesome taste of what the city had to offer. 
Hanging out at any Buffalo bar with a gang of 30 something’s is the last place my wife would care to spend more than 15 minutes at. Just sayin’ 😉

Don Tequlia it is, then.

73 Allen St, Buffalo, NY

Capture.thumb.JPG.befe6d4d33bab3b9a3bfef48bbb982bd.JPG

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

Went there with my parents as a kid (when it was still Creekside), and still go back every trip. I took our boys to WNY for a Bills home game when they turned 16. A rite of passage, I suppose. It was a quintessential Buffalo scene - when the people at the bar learned why we were there they were all begging us to come to their tailgate. And they really meant it! I love that! 

I bumped into Ralph there, literally, one Saturday night before a Sunday game. He was coming out of the restroom as I was going in. Tight quarters and neither of us was paying much attention. I may have had an adult beverage or five. Then, in his revenge, his little Pope-Mobile almost ran me over driving him around at the stadium the next day!  Ralph is………….…..vengeful!  😋

My good buddy has been working there on and off for 30 years. 
   I use to take my Mom there for Mother’s Day when I would fly in from my yearly spring fishing trip with my buddies. 
  That area would be perfect for a group popping in for a long weekend.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Don Tequlia it is, then.

73 Allen St, Buffalo, NY

That’s funny. There was a time….

it’s why I suggested for anyone young and looking to party up, there are places.  But those don’t necessarily have the same appeal to a family, especially with kids. 
party on Garth 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SoMAn said:

That’s funny. There was a time….

it’s why I suggested for anyone young and looking to party up, there are places.  But those don’t necessarily have the same appeal to a family, especially with kids. 
party on Garth 

I'm with you. Had my fun back in the days. Visiting family in Buffalo next week and nothing alcohol related on the docket. Food, now that's a different story. I miss the Fish Fry Friday.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Boy said:

My good buddy has been working there on and off for 30 years. 
   I use to take my Mom there for Mother’s Day when I would fly in from my yearly spring fishing trip with my buddies. 
  That area would be perfect for a group popping in for a long weekend.

You made me think of something I’ve seen a lot more of up north - professional lifelong bartender. Guys who get established and stay at one place forever. Heck, I’d get there once a year, maybe, and I got to know who some of these guys are. And they REALLY know their regulars. It is like Cheers! I’ve not experienced as much of that in the south. I know it exists, but not the same way. 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Cache said:

Hey gang, last year me and my son made our first ever visit to Buffalo from Utah and went to a SNF game v GB. The entire experience was the BEST! Thank you!  We are doing it again, this time I am creating 3 MORE bills fans to bring along (wife, daughter and son in law. the last 2 coming  from Alberta Canada).  Please recommend areas to stay in. Last time was a hotel in Williamsville  it was nice, but they want a place to walk around and see stuff thats not so spread out. Maybe shopping etc. (in addition to Bills Store!!). lol...

Where do you guys recommend if you would please help me out, that would be great!  Prefer a nicer area...  Thank you locals in advance. MUCH appreciated!!

its a bit far away from the southtowns/stadium, but Lewiston NY.

-Lots of restaurants, lots to see walking up and down the street.

-Waterfront at lewiston Landing.

-A short drive to Niagara Falls (10 minutes?)

-If its a really clear day/evening, go right up to Fort Niagara State park and see the Toronto skyline lit up from across the lake.

Its along the lines of Williamsville (but with less traffic) or East Aurora. Big thing is its a little more of a drive north.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

If you want someplace which everything is basically walkable you may want to consider Ellicottville .

https://www.ellicottvilleny.com/

It is not far drive from the stadium south on 219.

We have now made Ellicottville our go to location for the last few years. With the exception of the opener, we stay there almost exclusively since we have easy walking, plenty of restaurants and shops, great Bills feel and the bonus is once we hit the road to go home, we are only 6 hours from Long Island rather than 7.5

8 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Niagara Falls (CANADA) is THE place to stay and spend your enormous American Exceptional dollars for a much lower Canadian dollar exhange.

https://www.niagarafallstourism.com/

Maybe take an up close cruise to see the Falls.

https://www.niagarafallslive.com/hornblower-niagara-cruises.htm

I highly recommend the Hilton Hotel where you can get a room with a spectacular view of both Falls -- the giant majestic mighty Canadian one and the crap hole American much smaller and virtually limp one.

https://www.hilton.com/en/locations/canada/ontario/niagara-falls/hilton-hotels/?WT.mc_id=zlada0ww1hi2psh3ggl4advbpp5dkt6multibr7_153669424_1003528&gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoeemBhCfARIsADR2QCssSSzysuCQiyIWjirXhLblbvxLnUkEKO5YBvDcJO5KUtmsD_csVQIaAuo7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yea I think Canada is a s*** hole also

I just Don't understand the point of attacking 

Edited by Buffalo716

8 minutes ago, boater said:

Here's a map I made of where to get good Wings and Beef on Weck. Visit one near your hotel.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1mpmtjHMZCrqYop5-FKuRvDtRLTvMhbs&ll=42.88630239740502%2C-78.59189870595701&z=10

Anyone with feedback can reply here.

I’m just glad to verify for others that it is NOT Peter Pan. You’re welcome.   😋

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, boater said:

Here's a map I made of where to get good Wings and Beef on Weck. Visit one near your hotel.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1mpmtjHMZCrqYop5-FKuRvDtRLTvMhbs&ll=42.88630239740502%2C-78.59189870595701&z=10

This is a STELLAR effort! Excellent work!!!

Edited by Draconator
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Draconator said:

@boaterThere's one restaurant in the village of Kenmore that gets a thumbs up from me. Mike and Pops on Delaware. It's right next to the Kenmore Post Office. Really cool, old-style decor. And most importantly, good food. 

Based on your testimony, and good Google reviews, I added Mike and Pops to the map. Thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

Don Tequlia it is, then.

73 Allen St, Buffalo, NY

I hope they haven’t had any drowning deaths with those things! Best to use the buddy system lest one might fall forward into an untimely death.  

• Haha (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, boater said:

Thanks! this is sweet! So impressed by all the replies... I just keep lapping them in and learning....you all are killing it!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, St. Kitts Bills Cru said:

I wouldn't advise going to Canada on game day, any other day no problem. There are a fair amount of Canadians that go to the games and clog up the border making crossing more time consuming. Me being one of them.

I went on a couple of bus trips where the old boys from North Bay would come down in the morning of the Saturday, stay at a hotel in NF and leave the hotel at 6:00 AM on game day to cross the border and be the first bus into the bus parking lot.

Yes, there would be traffic on the way back but they were so drunk that it really did not matter.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.