Is the MLB Competition Over Before It Started?

JackKemp

On 8/11/2023 at 6:17 AM, KDIGGZ said:

This "competition" was never much of a competition to begin with. They had Dodson, who is a career backup but knows the defense, and they had Bernard, who is the size of a safety. They never even made an attempt to replace Edmunds and I think it will come back to bite them in the you know what. The MLB is a very important piece in this defense. It's the Luke Kuechly position. You can't just stick a backup in there and call it a day

I think it’s the Luke Kuechly position if you’re Luke Kuechly — a complete freak. Not every Ravens MLB was going to be #51 reincarnated. It’s not hard for a good coach to make the adjustment.. Oh, we don’t have Luke Kuechly so I guess I won’t expect Luke Kuechly madness on the field. I think McD can figure that out. 

Man,, can you imagine if an idiot coach fielded a defense with Luke Kuechly in mind, but didn’t have Luke Kuechly. What level would that coach be at.. Frosh? Lower? Luke Kuechly. 

I'm just going to go on the record to say that:

• I don't think Edmunds will be missed much.
  • The Bills LB situation is not going to be a major factor in the outcome of this season.
  • The biggest factor in the performance of the Bills D will be the switch in DCs which will have a large positive effect.
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

On 8/11/2023 at 8:56 AM, Beast said:

Edmunds underperformed and underwhelmed himself into a 20 million per year contract.

Yea, but he had to go to the Bears, one of the worst teams in the league, to get that bag. He wasn't getting paid that much by any team with more than 2 winning seasons in the last decade.

Tasker made a very good point on radio last night (i know, it does not happen) That ILB position is interchangeable that 2 olb can be on the field at once with no true MLB. typical 4-2-5 is about stopping the pass not the run. We started that game with the Tampa 1 Defense with the 1 safety down low. Then a couple plays we went to a 4-3 to stop the run and then on obvious passing downs... here is where it got interesting... They played Hyde/Poyer/Hamlin with Williams and Milano(Hamlin made a play here) and then they flipped to typical cover 2 with one of the MLB and Milano on a 3rd and long. 

Someone said that the Bills were going to play a vanilla defense? well that was anything but. McD needs to try many different formations out to see how we handle things. I mean hell. I saw 8 in the box and they brought 6 and then I saw 8 in the box and they just brought the front 4. 

There was a play that was horribly missed by many. Dorian went back to coverage, Covered the slot guy, then when the slot guy went to the next tier, Dorian released and covered the flat perfectly. 

I am telling you... There are sneaky ways to go about this... do NOT sleep on Dorian Williams.. Just because the dude is not a true MLB that everyone hoped at draft and just because he is marked an OLB does NOT mean he wont see ample time on the field this year.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Tasker made a very good point on radio last night (i know, it does not happen) That ILB position is interchangeable that 2 olb can be on the field at once with no true MLB.

The two positions are not "interchangeable". They have different responsibilities. Someone has to have the responsibilities of the MLB. I do think, and have said since draft day, there is a route getting Williams and Milano on the field together in their nickel base but that route involves Milano playing the MLB responsibility IMO. And letting Williams play the WILL.

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The two positions are not "interchangeable". They have different responsibilities. Someone has to have the responsibilities of the MLB. I do think, and have said since draft day, there is a route getting Williams and Milano on the field together in their nickel base but that route involves Milano playing the MLB responsibility IMO. And letting Williams play the WILL.

So if 2 olb on the field at same time with no ILB then what else would you call it? maybe interchangeable was the wrong word for tasker to do but it seems we are doing it. 

2 the second bolded. We both suggested this at one point or another... i got trashed for suggesting it.. yet here we are and in preseason there has been 3 plays already early when the starters on defense was playing and they did exactly that. Tampa 1 pinching a S. down low also helps cover the middle of the field, but this is going to be interesting in how we do this against good passing teams. The good thing is? I think this defense is finally figuring out how to shut down the running game and at good timing too because we just had 2 star rb join the division.

But Buffalo with 8 in the box early this game shocked the hell out of me... idk about you lol

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

So if 2 olb on the field at same time with no ILB then what else would you call it? maybe interchangeable was the wrong word for tasker to do but it seems we are doing it. 

2 the second bolded. We both suggested this at one point or another... i got trashed for suggesting it.. yet here we are and in preseason there has been 3 plays already early when the starters on defense was playing and they did exactly that. Tampa 1 pinching a S. down low also helps cover the middle of the field, but this is going to be interesting in how we do this against good passing teams. The good thing is? I think this defense is finally figuring out how to shut down the running game and at good timing too because we just had 2 star rb join the division.

But Buffalo with 8 in the box early this game shocked the hell out of me... idk about you lol

Did they have 3 plays of Milano and Williams together with no Dodson? Haven't managed to watch back yet due to the joys of DAZN will try to this eve. If you have those plays you can point me to wouls really appreciate it. I know they had one where Milano and Williams were on the field either side of Dodson but if they played them together in a 4-2-5 be interesting to see. 

But yea interchangeable is the wrong word. They are not interchangeable. Is there a way to modify the defense to allow Milano and Williams to be your two linebackers in nickel? Yea. But someone is still playing the MLB responsibilities in that setup. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Did they have 3 plays of Milano and Williams together with no Dodson? Haven't managed to watch back yet due to the joys of DAZN will try to this eve. If you have those plays you can point me to wouls really appreciate it. I know they had one where Milano and Williams were on the field either side of Dodson but if they played them together in a 4-2-5 be interesting to see. 

But yea interchangeable is the wrong word. They are not interchangeable. Is there a way to modify the defense to allow Milano and Williams to be your two linebackers in nickel? Yea. But someone is still playing the MLB responsibilities in that setup. 

second and 5 early and a third and long i think it was 3rd and 13?  I would have to go back to the all 22 to look at the exact plays. And yes. They showed more 4-3 looks then ever before to so yea.. McD has stuff up his sleeve and he needs to explore what will and wont work. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

didnt they throw the tampa 1 out there for a while as well? I just saw a lot of different defenses on the field and nothing plain about it. 

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

second and 5 early and a third and long i think it was 3rd and 13?  I would have to go back to the all 22 to look at the exact plays. And yes. They showed more 4-3 looks then ever before to so yea.. McD has stuff up his sleeve and he needs to explore what will and wont work. 

didnt they throw the tampa 1 out there for a while as well? I just saw a lot of different defenses on the field and nothing plain about it. 

I've been through the entire first two defensive drives and the only linebackers on the field were Milano and Dodson. Third drive Milano comes out Williams comes in. Even the play I thought I had seen all 3 out there together it wasn't I'd seen Boogie rush from a standing position on the far side and thought it was Williams. As far as I can tell Milano and Williams were never on the field together on Saturday. Milano played 2 drives, then Williams subbed in. 

On 8/11/2023 at 10:33 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

We'll be fine. We're not falling off the cliff without Edmunds. A rotation of Dodson & Klein can still give us a top 10 defense.  And we should be better at run support with those two.  

I hope you’re right, but when you factor in an average of 110 tackles a year and a steady defensive signal caller, presiding over a top 5 defense, how can you not expect a fall off with cast of underachievers(Dodson) and unknowns(Spector,Bernard). That’s not to say the addition of Rapp, a healthy Hyde and a stout group of tackles can’t cover up deficiencies. Look for how we defend the run in these next 2 games.

On 8/11/2023 at 8:22 AM, KDIGGZ said:

The counterpoint to my argument seems to be "we had a top 5 defense with Edmunds, but let's spend the money elsewhere and worst case still have a top 10 defense with a backup. It's not that much of a difference." I think it will be a very noticeable difference. We saw it last year when Edmunds was out.

Didnt AJ Klein win Defensive Player of the Week when Edmunds was out?

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Once in 2020.  

Edmunds & Klein both started that game as the only 2 LBs to start.  

He posted 1.5 Sacks, 3 TFL, and 2 QB Hits against the Chargers which were 7-9 that season.  

What's most telling to me about Klein, today, is that in his last 543 defensive snaps since then, he has no significant stats.  0 Sacks, 6 TFL, and 2 QB Hits.  

5 minutes ago, The_Ripster said:

missed out on kwon alexander among other FA LB's, in hindsight it's a miracle we got Diggs, Von Miller and Floyd.

I'm tellin' ya, not taking Nakobe Dean instead of Cook last year is going to prove to have been a mistake.  Cook may even have been available in the 3rd round.  

Oh well. 

Water under the bridge.  

6 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Wasn't he playing for milano?  He was an absolute liability in coverage so they just used him more to rush the QB and play closer to the LOS as he was getting exposed in the run game against NE and KC.  For the year he led the team in missed tackles.  

5 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Once in 2020.  

He posted 1.5 Sacks, 3 TFL, and 2 QB Hits against the Chargers which were 7-9 that season.  

What's most telling to me about Klein, today, is that in his last 543 defensive snaps since then, he has no significant stats.  0 Sacks, 6 TFL, and 2 QB Hits.  

I'm tellin' ya, not taking Nakobe Dean instead of Cook last year is going to prove to have been a mistake.  Cook may even have been available in the 3rd round.  

Oh well. 

Water under the bridge.  

Was it chargers?  I thought Seattle as he had a couple sacks and a FF to all but ice that one.  

5 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Once in 2020.  

Oh well. 

Water under the bridge.  

Wasn't there a medical issue with dean? 

13 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Was it chargers?  I thought Seattle as he had a couple sacks and a FF to all but ice that one.  

Jeffery Simmons was the AFC Defensive Player of the Week that week.  Not sure what Simmons did. 

Oddly, Allen was the AFC OPW

But he and Edmunds both started that game as well, again, as the only two LBs starting.   Klein had a Sack/FF/FR on 3rd-and-2, with 6:35 left and us up by 14, resulting in us getting the ball at Seattle's 19.  We were unable to convert a TD but settled for a FG to put us up by 17.  Seattle scored on the following drive.  Klein also had a sack two drives earlier on 2nd-and-15 that set-up a 3rd-and-25 on which Tre made an INT.  

The Chargers game was a better game for Klein though.  

17 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Wasn't there a medical issue with dean? 

Not that I'm aware of.  I know he was a terror at UGA.  

He's starting for the Eagles at MLB this season.  We'll see how he does.  I'm expecting great things from him.  

19 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Rooting for a solid starter to become available via cuts or trade 

No one who would be at the caliber of play that McDermott would plug and play them as a Starter over what we've had working with us in the system all offseason is going to be cut.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Not that I'm aware of.  I know he was a terror at UGA.  

He's starting for the Eagles at MLB this season.  We'll see how he does.  I'm expecting great things from him.  

Yea there was a torn pectoral and a long standing shoulder concern.  Some teams, as I understand it, worried the two were linked - that the pec tear was a result of the of the strain he was putting on it trying to protect the shoulder. He was a medical red flag and off some boards. I had him as a 1st round talent. Will be very interesting to see how he does this year when he is the presumed starter. Barely got on the field as a rookie. 

20 hours ago, The_Ripster said:

missed out on kwon alexander among other FA LB's, in hindsight it's a miracle we got Diggs, Von Miller and Floyd.

Funny as Greg Cosell was on OBD Monday and said Kwon Alexander was his comparable for Dorian Williams coming out of Tulane.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea there was a torn pectoral and a long standing shoulder concern.  Some teams, as I understand it, worried the two were linked - that the pec tear was a result of the of the strain he was putting on it trying to protect the shoulder. He was a medical red flag and off some boards. I had him as a 1st round talent. Will be very interesting to see how he does this year when he is the presumed starter. Barely got on the field as a rookie. 

Yeah, it came back to me now that you said that.  

As to last season, in fairness he had TJ Edwards in front of him on the depth chart.  Edwards was in his fourth season.  That's proper planning BTW.  

I'm bullish on Dean though.  I really wish we'd have drafted him.  

Ah well, offense is going to carry this team henceforth, presumably Beane will continue to draft some OL-men in rounds 1 & 2 if not 1 outright.  

I really see the KC offense taking a step back, and I don't see any other offense at the moment in the AFC anyway, that's should outperform ours.  

I'm not 100% sold on McGovern, but liking what Torrence brings in his first snaps as a pro.  He and Williams are the two I'm focusing on in the preseason.  If our OL can hold together and push for top-10 status, I really see great things offensively this season.  

8 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, it came back to me now that you said that.  

As to last season, in fairness he had TJ Edwards in front of him on the depth chart.  Edwards was in his fourth season.  That's proper planning BTW.  

I'm bullish on Dean though.  I really wish we'd have drafted him.  

Ah well, offense is going to carry this team henceforth, presumably Beane will continue to draft some OL-men in rounds 1 & 2 if not 1 outright.  

I really see the KC offense taking a step back, and I don't see any other offense at the moment in the AFC anyway, that's should outperform ours.  

I'm not 100% sold on McGovern, but liking what Torrence brings in his first snaps as a pro.  He and Williams are the two I'm focusing on in the preseason.  If our OL can hold together and push for top-10 status, I really see great things offensively this season.  

Yea the Eagles have the best General Manager in football. And I was saying that in 2019 when all the Eagles fans were demanding he get fired for whiffing on a couple of receivers and when he was being blamed for Wentz (when the reality is Wentz just sucked).

Yea the Eagles have the best General Manager in football. And I was saying that in 2019 when all the Eagles fans were demanding he get fired for whiffing on a couple of receivers and when he was being blamed for Wentz (when the reality is Wentz just sucked).

He certainly seems to be doing a decent job thus far.   Other than QB I'd trade rosters.  

Edited by PBF81

On 8/11/2023 at 9:21 AM, BillsVet said:

Trust the process?

Or rather, believe that MLB is of lower positional value, that Edmunds' value was significantly overrated by TBD, and that knowing the defense and being instinctive is more important than having top-end physical talent with low-end instincts.  

I'm amazed at how many people are doubting McD now.  Trust the process! ;)

If it’s of lower positional value then why would Beane spend a high 1st rounder and 3rd on Edmunds? The MLB has a ton of importance in this defense and fans better get used to there being significantly more passes completed down the middle of the field. Buffalo just had too many needs to draft his replacement. If Jack Campbell was there then it might have been different. I fully expect them to go MLB in the first 2 rounds next year. 

8 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

If it’s of lower positional value then why would Beane spend a high 1st rounder and 3rd on Edmunds? The MLB has a ton of importance in this defense and fans better get used to there being significantly more passes completed down the middle of the field. Buffalo just had too many needs to draft his replacement. If Jack Campbell was there then it might have been different. I fully expect them to go MLB in the first 2 rounds next year. 

I think McDermott and Beane we're hoping that Edmunds with his physical traits could be an elite player who could make game-changing plays on a regular basis.

Instead, Edmunds delivered solid play that was rarely spectacular. So they didn't resign him and committed a couple late-thirds to try to man the role.

The fact that they didn't extend him long before free agency tells me they weren't convinced he was worth his draft status — or they really wanted to and Edmunds numbers were unworkable. But I doubt after the end of Edmunds third season (when he was allowed to be extended) that he was asking anywhere close to the numbers the Bears ended up giving him. 

Another point: They gave Floyd $7,000,000 (base; worth up to $9 million with incentives) when they already had Rousseau and Miller coming back no later than game 6. That money could've went a long way in getting a proven veteran MLB — if they thought the position was of vital importance in their scheme. But they didn't.

We'll see how much of an overall D drop-off we experience with bottom-third MLB play. I suspect (or hope) it's not as much as some fear.

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/11/2023 at 9:42 AM, KDIGGZ said:

Well then there's your answer. They, like some on here, probably think a backup is "good enough." I guess we'll see!

As a bona fide armchair QB with over 70 seasons of Madden 2005 franchise mode under my belt, losing Edmunds this offseason was a big concern of mine.  Athletic, rangy MLBs are one of the most critical components of my scheme, and my defense performs a lot worse when I don't have one.

You see, I'm not an NFL-level defensive coach lol.  If I don't have the right personnel for my system, I have a hard time adapting my scheme to fit my personnel.

But the thing is... McD *is* an NFL-level defensive coach, and that means having the ability to adapt his scheme to fit his personnel.  It's just a matter of shuffling responsibilities around a bit. 

You can't expect to win in this league if your system requires special/rare athletes to function properly.  And since McD has a few wins under his belt, I tend to lean towards "trusting the process" as well.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

He certainly seems to be doing a decent job thus far.   Other than QB I'd trade rosters.  

Every team in the league would. It is the best roster in football. And I absolutely HATE the Eagles. I cheered for the Patriots in two Superbowls I hate them that much. So for me to say that they are seriously good. 

• Like (+1) 1

Every team in the league would. It is the best roster in football. And I absolutely HATE the Eagles. I cheered for the Patriots in two Superbowls I hate them that much. So for me to say that they are seriously good. 

Nick Sirriani's from Jamestown, NY also. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

A lot changed in the 5 years since that pick was made.  In 2018 they could afford a RD1 MLB on his rookie deal but not as a pending UFA after his contract expired.  

This happens every time Buffalo loses a UFA...fans lose their stuff because a known entity and/or high pick isn't at certain positions.  I attribute it to fans getting almost everything they wanted for years and now seeing a team up against the cap having to make choices.  

Besides, why aren't you trusting the process?  Why are you doubting McBeane and their brand of football?  After all, you're not the GM, amirite?  :lol:

10 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Nick Sirriani's from Jamestown, NY also. 

Yea I am not as sold yet on him as I am on the team and the GM. He needs to beat somebody good. The best teams he has beaten in two years are last season's paper tiger Vikings; last season's Cowboys (and he is 1-3 overall against them); and the 49ers in the NFCCG with their 4th or 5th choice QB... I lost count. Now that isn't all his fault. The NFC isn't great and the schedule just set up for them but this season the test is tougher. They play the 3 teams I think are closest to them - Chiefs, Bills, 49ers in a 3 week run mid season with the Cowboys twice (and a bye) either side. Come out of that at least 3-2 and I will start to be a believer. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I am not as sold yet on him as I am on the team and the GM. He needs to beat somebody good. The best teams he has beaten in two years are last season's paper tiger Vikings; last season's Cowboys (and he is 1-3 overall against them); and the 49ers in the NFCCG with their 4th or 5th choice QB... I lost count. Now that isn't all his fault. The NFC isn't great and the schedule just set up for them but this season the test is tougher. They play the 3 teams I think are closest to them - Chiefs, Bills, 49ers in a 3 week run mid season with the Cowboys twice (and a bye) either side. Come out of that at least 3-2 and I will start to be a believer. 

Funny you say that, I pointed out in a thread somewhere, I think about the "Top 5 Teams" thread, that Philly had an incredibly easy schedule last year.  So yeah, I agree.  And on the note of their roster, which we agree on, to whom more is given, more is also expected in this context.  

6 hours ago, BillsVet said:

A lot changed in the 5 years since that pick was made.  In 2018 they could afford a RD1 MLB on his rookie deal but not as a pending UFA after his contract expired.  

This happens every time Buffalo loses a UFA...fans lose their stuff because a known entity and/or high pick isn't at certain positions.  I attribute it to fans getting almost everything they wanted for years and now seeing a team up against the cap having to make choices.  

Besides, why aren't you trusting the process?  Why are you doubting McBeane and their brand of football?  After all, you're not the GM, amirite?  :lol:

Yep. That’s what happens when you hit on an elite QB in the draft (like Beane did) and have to give him a 2nd contract, you have to maneuver around the cap every year. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/11/2023 at 9:21 AM, BillsVet said:

Trust the process?

Or rather, believe that MLB is of lower positional value, that Edmunds' value was significantly overrated by TBD, and that knowing the defense and being instinctive is more important than having top-end physical talent with low-end instincts.  

I'm amazed at how many people are doubting McD now.  Trust the process! ;)

significantly overrated is an understatement.  Williams looks and plays like Edmunds but he can tackle

MLB will be a real problem for us until Dorian feels comfortable enough to take the reigns. He’s talented enough and physical enough to be impactful. I guess they prefer Dodson’s experience and knowledge of the defense, but he is not instinctual and lacks the demeanor necessary to deal with the ebbs and flows of games where his leadership is necessary and being calm in the storm.

On 8/16/2023 at 2:58 PM, BillsVet said:

Yea for me. In salary cap era. You’re going to lose some good players. Edmunds was ok / good. Not spectacular. Part of the equation here is also getting that 3rd rd comp pick next year - sustained success.

if ppl are going to gripe -about beane - LET poyer an aged / banged up safety who gets roasted in coverage against Mia and Kc AND players like Hines / siran Neal / matekavich GO in order to sign a proven vet  MLb for Super Bowl run this year 

Edited by balln
  • Like (+1) 1

Beanes not an unintelligent guy so how does he decide to go into this year without a good replacement for Edmunds?

Don't get me wrong, Edmunds was not perfect but he was capable of occupying a good deal of space in the center of the field. We have no one who is close to being able to do waht Edmunds did in pass defense and that will significantly affect how the back 7 will play.

So how does Beane get us into this mess at MLB?

4 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

Beanes not an unintelligent guy so how does he decide to go into this year without a good replacement for Edmunds?

Don't get me wrong, Edmunds was not perfect but he was capable of occupying a good deal of space in the center of the field. We have no one who is close to being able to do waht Edmunds did in pass defense and that will significantly affect how the back 7 will play.

So how does Beane get us into this mess at MLB?

31 teams played defense without Edmunds last year.  I our defensive guru coach needs to figure out how to play defense without Edmunds this year. 

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Chaos said:

31 teams played defense without Edmunds last year.  I our defensive guru coach needs to figure out how to play defense without Edmunds this year. 

I agree with this but how do we not have an adequate replacement for MLB. Some of the players are good against runs but not against the pass. Some are decent against the pass but not so good on runs. You'd think that Beane & McD would have had better proscpects to replace Edmunds.

On 8/16/2023 at 3:05 PM, GunnerBill said:

Yeah to me he's like Howie Roseman's version of Jerry Jones' Barry Switzer.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.