Fixed/Rigged NFL game?

major

48 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Ed Hochuli allegedly told Cam Newton he wasn't old enough to get a roughing call. 

Funny story about this one

Cam wanted roughing the passer for getting hit in the head and told that to the ref, who replied 'You were running'...Cam being Cam heard 'you a youngin' ie you're not old enough to get that call 😂😂full disclosure I love Cam Newton

I've often felt that way... IN THE MOMENT.

After I've had time to cool down, I think it's most incompetence & poor officiating. There's just too many things that have to go a certain way on any given play that to conclude "rigging," would require far too many leaps in logic & just absurd assumptions to be accepted... 

The only games I really still have questions about across ANY sport are all related to the NBA. Even then it's not to the level of rigging from up top, ingrained in the institution like WWE, but rather select individuals doing it unbenknownst to those in charge.

Like the 2006 NBA Finals. I still can't watch those games & not feel the refs weren't trying to give Miami the series via D-Wade free throws. So many phantom calls if anyone so much as breathed on the guy. It made for a terrible watch back then, and a nice conspiracy now.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, major said:

Have you ever watched an NFL game that left you convinced that it might have been  fixed/or rigged? If so, which one/ones?

It could be sabotage, missed calls or blown calls- officiating, stolen playbooks, spying, etc…

My list: 

-Super bowl 37: Raiders and Tampa Bay

-Super Bowl XL: Steelers and Seahawks

-Super Bowl 36: Patriots and Rams

-Super Bowl 50: Broncos and Panthers

-2001 AFC divisional game: Patriots and Oakland 

Every game the Bills lose is rigged. 

Seriously, just stop with the conspiracy theories.  

6 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

The guys a tool but the Tim Donnaghy book was superrrrrrrrr interesting. His point was you didn’t HAVE to make a bad call to win these kinds of bets.

I used to work around Tim Donnaghy’s home. A beautiful house in a lovely neighborhood with a driveway full of toys for little kids. He made mistakes and his kids will suffer as a result. I know it happens all the time, but it still saddens me. 

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL, as a business, sells only two things.    Entertainment (it’s exciting) and competition (anyone can win).

There would be no more stupid, twenty thousand posts per week across the web to the contrary, than that billion dollar industry jeopardizing one of the two things it sells.

Coke Classic.

Bud Light.

Disney.

The NFL fixing games.

18 hours ago, major said:

Have you ever watched an NFL game that left you convinced that it might have been  fixed/or rigged? If so, which one/ones?

It could be sabotage, missed calls or blown calls- officiating, stolen playbooks, spying, etc…

My list: 

have you ever been on this site during a game?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I used to work around Tim Donnaghy’s home. A beautiful house in a lovely neighborhood with a driveway full of toys for little kids. He made mistakes and his kids will suffer as a result. I know it happens all the time, but it still saddens me. 

Not all addictions are boogeyman powders in plastic bags like we tend to think. I've known addicts of alcohol, drugs, clothes shopping, sex, keeping up with the Jones's lifestyles..... Tim's happened to be gambling, or even more likely the power/rush.

"At least" the majority of the damage done to that family is mental. He's alive, they all have their health, and are likely still well off. I'm not naive to the strain that put on the family, but as a 35yr old, in my adult life I've grown accustomed to seeing addictions end only by caskets.

Timmy seems like he's in a good place, has accepted what he did, and carved out a little niche for himself. I'm not sure how the rest of the family is doing, but I hope they're doing well too! 

As stupid as his decisions were, I absolutely understand how someone could end up in that pickle he put himself into. Very deceptive slippery slope.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/10/2023 at 11:10 AM, Buffalo ill said:

Yes.

Wow! I never knew it was that bad. I wasn’t really old enough for this game, were the refs allowing Buffalo’s defense the same thing ?

Edit: was it also a big controversy during that time? You can just see the complete frustration during Andre Reed’s outburst. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

Ok, one of my reasons for bringing this up was a result of a conversation with a guy who used to be a head ref for some major college games (and college bowl games) in the late 1970’s and 1980’s. He told me they were taught to never influence a game and he demanded that of his crew. He said he noticed one of his crew was very flag happy and influencing games. He said he took his flags away before a game. He said he went over to him and told him, “I told you to stop”😄

Could individual refs be bought for a game? It's possible. But no way the league itself as an institution sets up or sanctions rigged outcomes. Too much money at stake to risk it with the news of rigged games.

If the league wants certain outcomes, it will change the rules to favor those outcomes across the board. The "wrong" team winning a big game once in a while doesn't reduce the overall popularity of the league. 

But make no mistake: the league changes rules to favor a certain style of play that will be more profitable as it is more appealing to the casual fans and masses, even if purists don't like it.

Edited by Nephilim17

12 hours ago, Repulsif said:

which team won on the 9/11 year ?

which team won (or the very next ?) on the Katrina year ?

Why would the New England Patriots win after 9/11?

They're not a new York team... New Yorkers hate Boston people

It should have went to the Jets or Giants if it was rigged... And yes I realize they play in East Rutherford

But their trademarked New York and 100% to the New York City market

Edited by Buffalo716

On 8/10/2023 at 12:22 AM, major said:

My list: 

The super bowl list is funny to me because I had a friend who watched the Pats vs ATL game and thought it was rigged. He simply could not get over the fact that on one occasion they called three defensive holdings on consecutive third downs to give Pats first downs and then the phantom holding in the 4th when they missed the facemask on the completion. I don't think the games are fixed but I think the NFL is very ok with having poor officiating decide some games. NFL seems to be a believer in all headlines are good headlines. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

The super bowl list is funny to me because I had a friend who watched the Pats vs ATL game and thought it was rigged. He simply could not get over the fact that on one occasion they called three defensive holdings on consecutive third downs to give Pats first downs and then the phantom holding in the 4th when they missed the facemask on the completion. I don't think the games are fixed but I think the NFL is very ok with having poor officiating decide some games. NFL seems to be a believer in all headlines are good headlines. 

Of all SB's that's a pretty bad example as a game decided by bad calls.  

There was a 4:00 NBC network game in the early 80s that was super questionable.  It was the last game of the day and was playing long (no SNF back then). I had some wagers in play including that game and noticed with interest all of the favorites had covered that day.  

My team (also the favorite) was threatening to score late in the 4th quarter and would have covered with a field goal. I was pretty excited and ready for this team to score. 

They were on the opposing 20 or so and were called on a really quesionable play which set them back to the 35 or so.  Next play they were called again on another questionable penalty.  Back to midfield.  

Next play yet another penalty, back on their own 40 or so.  Three extremely bogus call ii a row that took them out of field goal range and they were not able to recover from and failed to cover.  Last game of the day, the only non favorite not to cover. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Of all SB's that's a pretty bad example as a game decided by bad calls.  

Shocking you want to argue but it is a special person who believes that the phantom holding with under 5 minutes and took the falcons out of field goal range with a chance at a 2 score lead was not terrible officiating, especially since they missed a clear face mask on the play.  I just looked it up and ATL had 3 times the penalty yards and 4 times the first down from penalties but you keep your narrative going.

30 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Shocking you want to argue but it is a special person who believes that the phantom holding with under 5 minutes and took the falcons out of field goal range with a chance at a 2 score lead was not terrible officiating, especially since they missed a clear face mask on the play.  I just looked it up and ATL had 3 times the penalty yards and 4 times the first down from penalties but you keep your narrative going.

I hate the Patriots as much as any Bills fan, but the officiating in that SB was not an issue. 

The holding was pretty blatant. 

If they were going to call a face mask on that play it should've been on the ATL wideout. He ripped the Patriots defenders helmet off as he was being tackled.  

edit: the play in question is at 5:50  with a replay of the hold at 6:18

Edited by DabillsDaBillsDaBills
youtube link

37 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I hate the Patriots as much as any Bills fan, but the officiating in that SB was not an issue. 

The holding was pretty blatant. 

If they were going to call a face mask on that play it should've been on the ATL wideout. He ripped the Patriots defenders helmet off as he was being tackled.  

edit: the play in question is at 5:50  with a replay of the hold at 6:18

The defender was falling down before he was ever touched, he was not dragged down, the holding was a bad call. I have watched replays from other angles that are very clear, I can not find them quickly right now. Your argument that the officials missed two facemasks within 2 feet of the ball is not exactly proving me wrong, since both probably should have been called and then offsetting penalties. There is no excuse for officials missing clear and obvious facemasks the way that they do, I will repeat though I do not think they are fixed games,  just that NFL believes all headlines are good. 

On 8/12/2023 at 7:27 AM, Buffalo716 said:

Why would the New England Patriots win after 9/11?

They're not a new York team... New Yorkers hate Boston people

It should have went to the Jets or Giants if it was rigged... And yes I realize they play in East Rutherford

But their trademarked New York and 100% to the New York City market

because it is the Patriots

it was the whole nation who was attacked (with Pentagone which is at DC I guess, and air crash somewhere I don't remember)

11 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

ATL had a 25 point lead with 22 minutes of play left.  That's a 3-4 score lead.  They would not score another point. They had only 17 1st downs and only 27 minutes of possession. They lost by 6.  

That was the story after that game.  

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

ATL had a 25 point lead with 22 minutes of play left.  That's a 3-4 score lead.  They would not score another point. They had only 17 1st downs and only 27 minutes of possession. They lost by 6.  

Those are all facts, I am happy we can agree on those. 

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

googled "Atlanta Super Bowl bad calls patriots"

this came up first......

Since I don't want to spend all day on it and I can't find any quick reviews of other games, but I will point out that reviewer was ok with a non call on a facemask where the players helmet came off, so his review is at least suspect.  

15 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Since I don't want to spend all day on it and I can't find any quick reviews of other games, but I will point out that reviewer was ok with a non call on a facemask where the players helmet came off, so his review is at least suspect.  

He pointed out the good calls and the bad.  Graded them even.  Your plays didn't rise to worth mentioning.

Anyway, if you put money on the Falcons, this was the most incredible bad beat in SB history.  I can see why, years later, you still want to hang it on what you feel are a couple of missed calls.  But the obvious take form this game is that it was the worst choke job in history.  It would require some real mental jiu jitsu to look ALLLLL the way around that and settle on "it was a poorly officiated game" to explain the outcome to your liking.

Edited by Mr. WEO

8 hours ago, Repulsif said:

because it is the Patriots

it was the whole nation who was attacked (with Pentagone which is at DC I guess, and air crash somewhere I don't remember)

The New England Patriots don't represent America and they're not New York

Let's blow up the twin towers and have the Patriots win the super bowl LOL

47 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The New England Patriots don't represent America and they're not New York

Let's blow up the twin towers and have the Patriots win the super bowl LOL

huh

you know what mean the word "patriot", right ?

I know I watched one that was definitely fixed. Mercy Morris fumbled the ball but Buffalo's Pat Tomay was flagged for ruffing the official while trying to recover the ball. This was the final drive and Miami goes on to win. I believe the officials were reprimanded after.

As far as I know Ruffing the official was never called again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.