Astro’s TC Report - Sunday 7/30

Jerry Jabber

Some nice stuff. My highlights (4 positives and 1 negative):

"Quarterbacks are practicing a one-step drop and a quick pass to the tight ends on deep slants. Very cool. 

Like every other practice we’ve been to, the emphasis is on RAC (run after the catch). I’m told that the Chiefs ran up 2,000 more yards for Mahomes mainly due to RAC. Our WRs would just catch it and prepare to get tackled. See Beasley.

Josh’s Easy Button gets the call. It’s James Cook for a nice gain. He looks bigger and faster, and just as smooth.

Bernard is too small for middle linebacker.

Deonte Harty is going to stretch the field width-wise as well as lengthwise. When he goes toward the sidelines, he’s opening up massive real estate for the TEs and RBs."

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

=>Boogie Basham is driven to the ground.

I feel like this has been a common theme.

AJ apparently has shown up and done enough to possibly secure his roster spot.  Boogie just sounds like he's there because he has to be.

Edited by The Wiz

Evidently, the Bills either didn’t spell out their rules for what Astro can and can’t report on, or he just dgaf. All the news agencies talk about not being able to be specific about what they’re seeing in practice. Rastro raint playin’

12 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I think its a bad Narrative that a WR that is primarily used as a deep threat all season, cant be used more in short yardage situations.

It is not Gabes fault he is better at the deeper passes.. That being said, short passes unless you are fast or a great rout runner, will not lead to high passer ratings.

If its third and 4 and Gets a 5 yarder for a first down? how is that a bad thing? Gabe is being talked about more a short distance guy a little big more because NOW we have field stretchers... NOW we have 2 down the middle guys...

So you want to know what I heard Ken Dorsey say? Our offense and the playbook is evolving... (no he did not use those words) but when I hear Dorsey and others... Talk about Gabe getting more short yardage throws? Its because...

1. New playbook

2. New Talent on the receiving end

3. We got faster.

4. We have an offensive line that can last longer with those big come back routs... 

MAYBE, Gabe worked on his rout running and short yardage routs and looks better this year..  

Maybe Diggs saying Davis is looking like a true #1 WR is not just smoke... not just bringing up his buddy... Maybe there are people that know more then the fan, the podcasters and the PFF numbers. 

Just wanted to share.

Davis is a loper. He’s never run precise routes because he can’t. Long and gangly, the sharp cuts and stop and gos aren’t in his playbook. He’s good but he is what he is. It’s why he’s at his best as wr3. When he played with both Diggs and Sanders, (both sharp move guys) he was at his most valuable.

• Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Some nice stuff. My highlights (4 positives and 1 negative):

"Quarterbacks are practicing a one-step drop and a quick pass to the tight ends on deep slants. Very cool. 

Like every other practice we’ve been to, the emphasis is on RAC (run after the catch). I’m told that the Chiefs ran up 2,000 more yards for Mahomes mainly due to RAC. Our WRs would just catch it and prepare to get tackled. See Beasley.

Josh’s Easy Button gets the call. It’s James Cook for a nice gain. He looks bigger and faster, and just as smooth.

Deonte Harty is going to stretch the field width-wise as well as lengthwise. When he goes toward the sidelines, he’s opening up massive real estate for the TEs and RBs."

That’s great news about James Cook

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Davis is a loper. He’s never run precise routes because he can’t. Long and gangly, the sharp cuts and stop and gos aren’t in his playbook. He’s good but he is what he is. It’s why he’s at his best as wr3. When he played with both Diggs and Sanders, (both sharp move guys) he was at his most valuable.

I agree with this, but he seems to have a unique ability to stop suddenly for the comeback route. Which for someone who struggles, as you say, with sharp cuts and the subtleties of short area route running his ability to stop and comeback to the ball on those sideline comebacks is pretty interesting. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dan Darragh said:

Every year I ask myself this: any "great play" made in practice is made against our own guys.  Does it mean that the guy making the great play is great, or that the guy he's matched up against sucks?

The coaching staff has the same problem I assume.  Making great plays against great players (like breaking a pass up covering Diggs) obviously carries more weight than breaking a pass up against practice squad fodder like Dezmon Patmon.

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Evidently, the Bills either didn’t spell out their rules for what Astro can and can’t report on, or he just dgaf. All the news agencies talk about not being able to be specific about what they’re seeing in practice. Rastro raint playin’

That rule only applies to the people with media credentials at camp.

Astro is just a fan in the stands that knows how to cover camp (same as the cover 1 guys).  Not much they can do other than ban him from camp which would be pretty harsh.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

spot on.

I am only saying... Just cause he catches and QBR is low because of the short catches does not mean he cant do it. Only time will tell if he has evolved. My narrative is not that he should catch 60% short 40% long, ITs that if that 25% short catches goes up to say 35%-40% who cares if it is keeping the drive going.

That is my only opinion on that. How many times did a third and 4 drive stall do to a deep throw. That Miami game where we owned the ball for 40 minutes? I thought this offense was on perfect display of how well we as a team can play the short ball game and control the clock. we just never finished drives.

But yes... that was my main point. Last year no sanders, Brown or Beasley type players tightened up the field.

Well said.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, VaMilBill said:

Middle linebacker is a problem. Bernard was awful last year. Slow and small. And now Dorian Williams is running behind Milano. 

im guessing our best option is probably gonna be AJ Klein

This is not a good thought.

15 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Bernard made no sense when drafted and makes even less sense now. 2 years in a row drafting MLB's in the 3rd round that can't play MLB. Brilliant!

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with this, but he seems to have a unique ability to stop suddenly for the comeback route. Which for someone who struggles, as you say, with sharp cuts and the subtleties of short area route running his ability to stop and comeback to the ball on those sideline comebacks is pretty interesting. 

And sideline toe taps from anywhere on the field..

You do not have to be the best route runner out there but if you do other things really well then it does not matter. He gets his body frame in position very well to my point... He is not going to give you a big QBR short yardage but that does not mean he cant get you short yardage first downs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Shane Ray is seeming to grab some momentum. I'm going to be interested to see if that continues when the pads come on. If it does I think he can push Boogie off the roster and secure a spot. 

Helluva comeback story if he makes it - out of the NFL for 4 seasons. But still only 30, no leg injuries that I'm aware of, and Friend of Von. I'm pulling for him to make it.

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I hated to read the part where it says "Buffalo isn't noted for it's screen plays and still won't be" going 1-3 on them today. We only practiced 4 screen plays on the day? I hope this picks up more as TC continues because the screen game should be another advantage with our backs imo even with Hines out for the year. Great read otherwise though thanks for sharing this.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Astrobot's depth chart.

It is in Google docs which means sometimes some will not be able to read it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XO2kWQtr9m01lGJJOirYmRdFeWUmPDL1LtiIUs67MuA/edit#gid=0

Hard to read sometimes because overloaded and it is still missing info.

Kyle Allen is the #2 and I would not count out Isabella so quickly. 

19 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

At the risk of getting flamed, I think a big part of the reason we lack RAC is Josh is late to throw a lot and the defense has reacted and/or he get his receivers while they are flat footed. 

EDIT: Josh has gotten better at a lot of things as he has progressed through his career, but I think this is his biggest short coming these days. Based on his comments this offseason on "Needing to learn to win from the pocket", I think this is likely at the top of his list as well. 

Edited by Mango

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

At the risk of getting flamed, I think a big part of the reason we lack RAC is Josh is late to throw a lot and the defense has reacted and/or he get his receivers while they are flat footed. 

EDIT: Josh has gotten better at a lot of things as he has progressed through his career, but I think this is his biggest short coming these days. Based on his comments this offseason on "Needing to learn to win from the pocket", I think this is likely at the top of his list as well. 

Also reason for RAC is a lot of throws designed to go to sideline where recipient is travelling horizontally.  Play is designed that way to cut down chances of interceptions (most teams do not have a Micah Hyde) but it also cuts down opportunities of RAC.  

Look at all of the spectacular plays made in endzone or side of field where some thought he was throwing away but Allen is making a throw few QBs can make.  

Allen is a lot like me at work and Dawson Knox - he has trouble doing some easy stuff but he also does hard stuff very well.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.