Matt Milano Appreciation Thread

Beck Water

It's kind of weird.  The Bills have been a high-profile team since McD and Josh came to town.  And yet Milano - despite his superior play being pointed out by announcers - hasn't seemed to have gotten the respect nationally that he deserved.  

Good to see that changing.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Some tidbits on Milano:

First, in terms of passer rating against defensive players, he was 13th best in the entire NFL last season, and that includes all CBs and safeties: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/defense_advanced.htm. QBs had only a 62.6 rating against him (sort the page by passer rating).

Secondly, in PFR's equivalent of WAR/VORP for the NFL -- AV (approximate value) -- Milano was rated a 19 last season. That was third overall: Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts tied for first at 20, and Milano was tied for third at 19 with Mahomes. 

Bottom line: he is ELITE. 

Finally, https://theathletic.com/4727127/2023/07/28/nfl-draft-franchise-defensive-players/ (great piece overall, but paywalled; I'm including the bit on Milano):

'Let’s finish with the second level of defense: linebackers and slot defenders. On the former, what does it take to succeed at that position in the modern game? On the latter, what kind of nickel defender do you prefer: a third corner, safety or off-ball linebacker?

Baumgardner: We don’t have a Luke Kuechly playing right now, I don’t think. Closest to that would be San Francisco 49ers LB Fred Warner — no disrespect to Bobby Wagner, who is still getting it done. Another guy I love is Bills standout Matt Milano. The thing all these guys have in common is that they are coverage assets.

It’s so hard to find guys who can take the physical burden you’re asking in the box while maintaining stamina and focus to be functional coverage players. This position, to me, is as mental as any on the field. Its offensive counterpart today is more tight end than running back. There’s a lot going on, so on top of being athletic enough, the player has to be insanely dependable from an IQ standpoint.'

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's kind of weird.  The Bills have been a high-profile team since McD and Josh came to town.  And yet Milano - despite his superior play being pointed out by announcers - hasn't seemed to have gotten the respect nationally that he deserved.  

Good to see that changing.  

Idk, a couple ProBowls and an All Pro would signify otherwise. I know WE love him and he’s missed every game he hasn’t suited up for- which, thankfully, hasn’t been often the last couple seasons.

The man is a BEAST!

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

No QB is calling milk checks on Matty Milano

LOL.  That was actually one of the funniest parts of the Mlik Check segment on Bussin with the Boys.

One of the boys asked Josh something like "you call that on Matt Milano?"

Josh says "He's Italian"

No Milk Check on the Guido Torpedo

Edited by Beck Water
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.