Do you golf?

EmotionallyUnstable

I started playing pretty regularly about 10 years ago, and love it.

Mostly try to play 9 holes (walking) at least once per week, and mostly at Public courses, though I will get out to some buddies’ nice country clubs too.

what’s amazing is that I feel like i have gotten so much better, and yet my scores pretty much stay the same!!  Usually shoot like low or mid-90s over 18. I think that is like a 20-ish handicap. Just so hard to put everything together in a round! 

I have always wanted to get into it but also can't stand it and get bored with even putt putting. It's not exerting enough, distracting enough, and too slow.

I don't think I'll ever appreciate it. To me it's like fishing: a waste of time.

This post isn't to degrade or insult it - just express my frustration that it is something I'd like to try, get into, experience but cannot.

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

I have always wanted to get into it but also can't stand it and get bored with even putt putting. It's not exerting enough, distracting enough, and too slow.

I don't think I'll ever appreciate it. To me it's like fishing: a waste of time.

This post isn't to degrade or insult it - just express my frustration that it is something I'd like to try, get into, experience but cannot.

Pair that with cost, as well as the fact it takes a lot of practice to be even remotely decent, I get it. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

@Miyagi-Do Karate

Keeping it under 100 is the goal on 18 for me. I love to play but can’t get out much cuz the family obligations and such. When I do, I like to ride. Walking is about 1000% harder but obv a better work out 

Yeah, if I can shoot like a 90-95, that is a great round for me. But I am happy anywhere in the 90s.

I hear you on the family obligations. To take that into account, I normally play only 9, and try to do it on weekday mornings before work (like around 6:30 am). Or if on a weekend, then like at 6 PM. Can’t waste 4+ hours in the middle of a weekend day. 

29 minutes ago, boyst said:

what is amazing about golf though is the mechanics of the game and how varied it is. You have to have great mechanics and even understand a lot of the science behind it. But then you have to develop so many types of skills, like touch around the green, but power elsewhere. 

And one of the reasons I walk when I play (most of the time) is for the exercise. I walk some hilly courses with my heart rate monitor on. Walking 9 on a hilly course is like over 4 Miles and I can burn between 800-1000 calories. So you can exert yourself, if you want. 

59 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Yeah, if I can shoot like a 90-95, that is a great round for me. But I am happy anywhere in the 90s.

I hear you on the family obligations. To take that into account, I normally play only 9, and try to do it on weekday mornings before work (like around 6:30 am). Or if on a weekend, then like at 6 PM. Can’t waste 4+ hours in the middle of a weekend day. 

what is amazing about golf though is the mechanics of the game and how varied it is. You have to have great mechanics and even understand a lot of the science behind it. But then you have to develop so many types of skills, like touch around the green, but power elsewhere. 

And one of the reasons I walk when I play (most of the time) is for the exercise. I walk some hilly courses with my heart rate monitor on. Walking 9 on a hilly course is like over 4 Miles and I can burn between 800-1000 calories. So you can exert yourself, if you want. 

i would appreciate the exertion, surely. i walk 3-4 miles at llunch every day. take a 1-2 mile walk every evening with the family. mountain bike weekly 15ish+ miles. exercise 6 days a week for 90 minutes. swim laps at least once a week. with 30 minutes of yoga/mobility a night. the time to learn to golf would take away from this just to walk to my ball 3 hit errantly from the tee. :D

i burn 3,500-4000 calories a day, 1500-2000 in activity a day.

pre back injury i included running 40 miles a week with a 14-16 mile run on sunday mornings. prebaby i climbed twice a week, as well.

Edited by boyst

1 hour ago, boyst said:

i would appreciate the exertion, surely. i walk 3-4 miles at llunch every day. take a 1-2 mile walk every evening with the family. mountain bike weekly 15ish+ miles. exercise 6 days a week for 90 minutes. swim laps at least once a week. with 30 minutes of yoga/mobility a night. the time to learn to golf would take away from this just to walk to my ball 3 hit errantly from the tee. :D

i burn 3,500-4000 calories a day, 1500-2000 in activity a day.

pre back injury i included running 40 miles a week with a 14-16 mile run on sunday mornings. prebaby i climbed twice a week, as well.

Let me try one more time! 😁

I think you actually would really like golf based on what you said, and depending on your mindset. For me, it’s no different than walking and enjoying nature. That’s why I love walking the course and doing it early morning. It’s basically walking and enjoying the outdoors, along with the challenges of golfing. 

I sort of use it too as a way to vary my exercise. I play pickup bball three times per week, as my main exercise.  But if I can golf once and play tennis another time (and maybe throw in yoga and a bike ride here or there), it’s just a nice variety. 

okay— have I convinced you?! 

• Like (+1) 1

I love golf season.  It's right up there with football season for me as my favorite times of the year.  I'm usually able to get out once a week if not twice for a full round of 18.  I play all over WNY throughout the season and make a few Rochester/PA area trips 2 or 3 times a season as well.  Gives me my sports fix during the offseason for the Bills and Sabres

I've probably played 10 times or so in my life.  I always found being out on the golf course, itself, to be very enjoyable.  The landscaping end of it.  The game itself always struck me as a ridiculously boring waste of time.  I know a zillion people seem to love this game; I don't get it.

The only thing I don't get even more, is WATCHING other people play golf on TV.  I literally can't fathom why someone would do that.

Funny thing is I now live in SE FL and am surrounded by golf courses, clubs, and housing communities on golf courses.

For a while we lived near the 7th hole on a golf course.  LOL

I do but about once or twice a year and I have kind of run out of people to play with now cos of the couple of groups I used to go with pretty much everyone else is now committed and plays much more regularly than me. I find it less fun I'll be honest, when I am like 15-20 shots off the pace. I just don't have enough time to play as much as I'd like to in order to get to the level where I'd want to make time to play more. 

That said we went from work and played 9 holes one evening in May and I beat an Aussie guy in my team who takes it uber seriously and was bigging up how good he is in advance. That was pretty sweet. 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Let me try one more time! 😁

I think you actually would really like golf based on what you said, and depending on your mindset. For me, it’s no different than walking and enjoying nature. That’s why I love walking the course and doing it early morning. It’s basically walking and enjoying the outdoors, along with the challenges of golfing. 

I sort of use it too as a way to vary my exercise. I play pickup bball three times per week, as my main exercise.  But if I can golf once and play tennis another time (and maybe throw in yoga and a bike ride here or there), it’s just a nice variety. 

okay— have I convinced you?! 

If it's as frustrating as putt putt; the slow wait 20 minutes between the operation, etc then i can't take it seriously. It would be just a hobby with friends, and then I just couldn't motivate myself to care or spend the money. 

Not trying to be a stick in the mud. I just can't even bring myself to try. 🤮

I’ve lived on three different golf courses, but never took it seriously as tennis was much more my thing. My most serious year I golfed maybe 15-20 times and I became somewhat consistent in my mediocrity. Lessons as a kid stuck with me a little bit I think, and we got the kids lessons at a young age. Our youngest son married into a golfing family (as in his in-laws golf daily) and he’s pretty good. 

A guy who worked for me had a buddy who was involved in the PGA tournament that happens on Hilton Head every year. With him you could go to any golf course in the area and walk on for free without a tee time regardless of how busy they were. Pretty awesome! 

I would sneak in 9 holes after work that “busy year” at a fairly straight forward course and typically shoot in the 43-45 range which I was very happy with. I couldn’t break 100 now if my life depended upon it. The wife and son got me new clubs 4-5 years ago and I think I’ve used them twice. I got the wife clubs too, but she still works and there never seems to be time and she hates the summer heat. It seems like a great thing to do together, but it just never happens. We do enjoy Top Golf near us from time to time. 

How did they decide on 18 holes? I find that when I finish 9 holes I still have some interest, but generally by the 12th hole or so I’m just looking for the beer cart lady. 🍺 I think 12 is a good number! 

• Like (+1) 1

We had an artificial putting green put in the back yard and a spot to hit into a net to practice full swings. I find that going out and doing that is easier to keep the swing and other things in form without having to go spend hours on a course. Granted you cant practice everything that you will need to do on the course (like inside 100 yards etc) but driving and putting dont get rusty.

I had only played once before going on my buddys golf trip that we do every year, nobody would believe me when I said I was like a 20 handicap (I shot 97 my time out before I went)

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

We had an artificial putting green put in the back yard and a spot to hit into a net to practice full swings. I find that going out and doing that is easier to keep the swing and other things in form without having to go spend hours on a course. Granted you cant practice everything that you will need to do on the course (like inside 100 yards etc) but driving and putting dont get rusty.

I had only played once before going on my buddys golf trip that we do every year, nobody would believe me when I said I was like a 20 handicap (I shot 97 my time out before I went)

My buddy loves golf! He just had a putting green put in his back yard and I must say it’s pretty sweet. It should be for the cost! (I think his was about $15k.) He doesn’t have a net for full swings but you can chip to the green over the pool which can result in the “BLOOP” noise when the ball hits water, making the experience feel just like my regular golf game. 😋

He’s the kind of guy who always needs the newest thing, so he always has at least four sets of clubs in his garage.  When people come to visit, no clubs is no excuse. He golfs as frequently as possible, while I might go once or twice a year. He gets pissed because I consistently out-drive him and while he beats me, it’s not by that much. 

When I go out it seems the golfers always want to gamble. I’m not there to gamble. When gambling comes up I tell them I plan to cheat on every hole. That takes some of the wind out of the gambling sails! 

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

My buddy loves golf! He just had a putting green put in his back yard and I must say it’s pretty sweet. It should be for the cost! (I think his was about $15k.) He doesn’t have a net for full swings but you can chip to the green over the pool which can result in the “BLOOP” noise when the ball hits water, making the experience feel just like my regular golf game. 😋

He’s the kind of guy who always needs the newest thing, so he always has at least four sets of clubs in his garage.  When people come to visit, no clubs is no excuse. He golfs as frequently as possible, while I might go once or twice a year. He gets pissed because I consistently out-drive him and while he beats me, it’s not by that much. 

When I go out it seems the golfers always want to gamble. I’m not there to gamble. When gambling comes up I tell them I plan to cheat on every hole. That takes some of the wind out of the gambling sails! 

So true! golfers love to gamble, me not so much on golf anyway. We moved into our new house in TN a few years ago and had a pretty good size backyard so convinced the wife that was a good option. Got our kids to like to come out and play (they are 7 and 8).  I dont get to go out and play 18 much with how busy we always are but this still allows me to play and have fun without dedicating a bunch of hours to get a round in.

55 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

love golf

i dont play often enough but im always out back hitting balls into the pasture

15handicap never walk

great game wish i had taken it up sooner

This is the best way to get better, go back 60 years and take it up at a younger age.

As for me, used to play softball 4-5 days a week and golf once or twice. When I hit 60 the softball had to go, golf 4-5 days a week now. With the exception of tournaments, I always walk. Belong to a private club that gets privileges at a public course( preferred tee times, tournaments, etc.) Also belong to a private club. Kind of an enigma, both a trunk slammin' muni-player and a country club snob.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

How did they decide on 18 holes? I find that when I finish 9 holes I still have some interest, but generally by the 12th hole or so I’m just looking for the beer cart lady. 🍺 I think 12 is a good number! 

i hear you. 9 is too few for me. But like 12 or 13 is perfect! 

Most of my friends are really good at golf.  Two of them actually have/had their PGA tour card at one point.  I always get stuck playing with them for bachelor party trips, class reunions, and other events.  I enjoy the game, but I’m absolutely horrible.

I had a really bad experience playing at Ravenwood in Rochester a few years back.  I was just taking too long, and eventually the course ranger came along and told me that I couldn’t play anymore.  Even though we were letting faster groups play through, I guess a lot of people were complaining.  I sat in the golf cart and drank beers while my friends finished the round, but it was a real bummer.  They refunded my money when I got back to the pro shop, but I haven’t played since.  I do like me some putt-putt though.

I play as often as my back allows these days.  right now, I've been told not to.  I play to a 16 right now.  Was much better as a teen.  Emulating Johnny Miller hurts tho.  took a lesson just before I stopped and the guy worked for an hour on my alignment and takeaway.  Shot a 41 the next day.  Break 80 about once a year but not this year.  So hope springs eternal.  I just want to be competitive with the groups that go out at noon everyday and bet $5 a side.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

know the type.  I get teased for holding on to my equipment too long.  Til I was about 40, I had a set of steel shaft Walter Hagen's that the shafts finally started snapping on.  Current Taylor mades are probably about 6 yo with a mismatched wedge cuz I lost the original.  The old adage that you can't buy a game is true but decent stuff makes a difference.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1

Growing up we had a net in our garage - just had to ask Mom or Dad to move the car, drop the net down and I was at the driving range! I was never a great golfer but I could drive the ball better than most. After college I played less and less and got worse and worse to the point where I lost my swing. The game got too frustrating and I didn't  have the will/time to get better so I stopped playing. Went to TopGolf a few months ago and it was flat out embarrassing. Going again tomorrow and am expecting the same.

These days I play disc golf pretty regularly. Much  less aggravating for me.

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

I used to play a lot, but now I suck. 

70s then to 90s now.

Can occasionally hit a 300yd+ drive still. Usually out of bounds.

Embarrassing when I'm waiting for the group in front to get out of range, then hit a grass burner to the women's tees.

Even the pros do it.  I was at the TPCi n Fla couple years back.  Me and a friend were walking along 16 to get to the famous par 3 17th.  A tour player was 100 yards off the tee on 16 which is about 500 yds iirc.  Didn't see the shot but it must have been really bad.  It's a very hard game.  But it's great!

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

I used to play a lot, but now I suck. 

70s then to 90s now.

Can occasionally hit a 300yd+ drive still. Usually out of bounds.

Embarrassing when I'm waiting for the group in front to get out of range, then hit a grass burner to the women's tees.

Never hit 300, 265 is about my best.  If you hit a snap hook or big cut you're dead and I do it way too often.  Thus the alignment and set up lesson.  No doubt it will help for a few rounds and then I'll turn in a 100.  OB's add up quick.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Most of my friends are really good at golf.  Two of them actually have/had their PGA tour card at one point.  I always get stuck playing with them for bachelor party trips, class reunions, and other events.  I enjoy the game, but I’m absolutely horrible.

I had a really bad experience playing at Ravenwood in Rochester a few years back.  I was just taking too long, and eventually the course ranger came along and told me that I couldn’t play anymore.  Even though we were letting faster groups play through, I guess a lot of people were complaining.  I sat in the golf cart and drank beers while my friends finished the round, but it was a real bummer.  They refunded my money when I got back to the pro shop, but I haven’t played since.  I do like me some putt-putt though.

i have a shirt that says play bad fast lol

• Haha (+1) 1

My dad taught me how to play when I was a teenager, and I played somewhat regularly for a few years. I was never very good - my best game on a par-72 course was somewhere in the low-90s - but I was happy with anything under 100. Dad was similar, and he'd been golfing for years. He wasn't really competitive - he just played for fun, as did I.

By the time I got to college, I played a couple of times a year at most. My dad and brothers used to have an annual outing at a nice course. We'd splurge and rent carts, bring a cooler of beer, play 18 holes, and go out to dinner after. I played in exactly one tournament, when my dad's partner dropped out at the last minute. That may have been the last time I played. Not that anything bad happened, I just lost interest in the game.

A couple of years ago, we were driving past a golf course and my wife asked if I missed golfing. (I stopped playing before we met.) I told her the only thing I missed was the annual outing with my family. Mainly, I liked being outside and drinking beer, and I realized that if I didn't spend money on the greens fees, I could spend more on beer. 🙂

• Awesome! (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I hold myself to one rule: You can suck, but you cannot be slow. 

I buy used golf balls on line. I think there were 80 Bridgestones in the last order. If the ball isn’t easily found and played, I drop and move on. 

Speaking of which - the most frustrating thing in golf: the ball you know you hit down the middle of the fairway, but it can’t be found. Am I the only one this has happened to?  GRRR! 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Speaking of which - the most frustrating thing in golf: the ball you know you hit down the middle of the fairway, but it can’t be found. Am I the only one this has happened to?  GRRR! 

There's a reason those green Bridgestones are so inexpensive...🤨

Back in my golfing days I would purposely go out solo to Sunset on Garrison Road early in the season, and walk the fields surrounding the perimeter.  Easily scoop 12-18 balls abandoned the previous season.

6 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

There's a reason those green Bridgestones are so inexpensive...🤨

Back in my golfing days I would purposely go out solo to Sunset on Garrison Road early in the season, and walk the fields surrounding the perimeter.  Easily scoop 12-18 balls abandoned the previous season.

I can’t afford to get too attached to any one golf ball. We generally have very brief relationships. The Bridgestones are adequate for that kind of fling. It helps keep me moving at a nice pace. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I hold myself to one rule: You can suck, but you cannot be slow. 

I buy used golf balls on line. I think there were 80 Bridgestones in the last order. If the ball isn’t easily found and played, I drop and move on. 

No.  Not alone.  Once had a guy hit back at me after a drive.  He was about 30 yards short.  Plugged balls suck (did I really write that).  There's a new long overdue rule that a plugged ball can be lifted and placed.  but u gotta find it first!  I love the pin in rule for putting.  Moves the game along...

Edited by redtail hawk

7 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

No.  Not alone.  Once have a guy hit back at me after a drive.  He was about 30 yards short.  Plugged balls suck (did I really write that).  There's a new long overdue rule that a plugged ball can be lifted and placed.  but u gotta find it first!  I love the pin in rule for putting.  Moves the game along...

That’s interesting. Golf has rules?  

😋

I honestly don’t know them well. Someone with me is almost always a friggin’ expert, but I’ve never been charged with anything. So far. 

As far as you know.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

honestly, that is lame by the ranger. That’s not like Pebble Beach. If you were really that slow, he could have asked you to just speed it up/pick up your ball on certain shots, etc. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.