Why is Tyrod Taylor not more revered in the Bills fan base?

18 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Yeah, Watkins is trash. 

Watkins was a better WR than Taylor was a QB.

Look at Taylor's start with the Browns.  How can such a conservative guy throwing the ball do this?  How can someone who doesn't take chances throwing the ball only complete 28% of his passes?  This state line is probably the most embarrassing 4 game stretch in the history of the NFL. 

image.thumb.png.d406df71e0aad28ef8caf3ab7e0371f6.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Look at Taylor's start with the Browns.  How can such a conservative guy throwing the ball do this?  How can someone who doesn't take chances throwing the ball only complete 28% of his passes?  This state line is probably the most embarrassing 4 game stretch in the history of the NFL. 

Tyrod overachieved for a 6th rounder. Watkins was a borderline bust as the 4th overall pick (and another 1st.) Tyrod’s has had a much more impressive career to me. Ironically, Watkins’ best season was w/ TT under center. 

• Eyeroll 1

12 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Tyrod overachieved for a 6th rounder. Watkins was a borderline bust as the 4th overall pick (and another 1st.) Tyrod’s has had a much more impressive career to me. Ironically, Watkins’ best season was w/ TT under center. 

Overachiever for a 6th rounder, sure.  But that doesn't mean he's an All Time dual threat lol.  His passing stats are TERRIBLE.  How can you be an all time dual threat if one of the threats, you're terrible at?

Since he's left Buffalo, he has 9 passing TD's to 8 INT's and a QBR between 10-40.  

He's an all time runner because there haven't been many of those but passing the ball....yikes.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

At a guess....the low completion % probably reflects someone who "doesn't take chances" and is throwing the ball away a lot when he can't find a receiver that is open to his satisfaction but doesn't have a good pass-protecting OL and doesn't want to risk a strip sack trying to manuever and wait.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

young peak watkins did some things once trash ass Tyrod got out the way for Orton 🤣

Wow.  Most peoples opinion very from he was ok to he was trash and the variation is largely based on if they actually know how well he played with help vs with no help.  I'm not going to argue opinions (and that's all they are) about how good or bad he was.   Allen is clearly much much better but people don't understand how often he had no one to throw to and how his stats almost directly correlate from good to bad based on how bad his receivers were.  It also helps if you even know what seasons he played.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Overachiever for a 6th rounder, sure.  But that doesn't mean he's an All Time dual threat lol.  His passing stats are TERRIBLE.  How can you be an all time dual threat if one of the threats, you're terrible at?

Since he's left Buffalo, he has 9 passing TD's to 8 INT's and a QBR between 10-40.  

He's an all time runner because there haven't been many of those but passing the ball....yikes.

Conservative and a good defense will win you games.  I would much rather have a great QB and a great defense but for the sake of a Taylor discussion if Cleveland had Bass for a kicker the Browns would have been 2 and 1 with Taylor and possible 3 and 0 if they tied it at the end of the Saints game and had won in overtime.  I feel almost ridiculous defending the guy because he wasn't an elite QB and we certainly are much better with Allen but people make him sound a lot worse than he was.  The one thing he lacked the most is not on a stat sheet.  He just didn't have "it".  That 4th quarter game on the line and you pull something out of your butt type stuff.  Allen even early on as a rookie showed it.  Taylor never had it.  When his run was over I wasn't surprised or upset.

• Like (+1) 2

I was all about Tyrod in Rex's first season as coach. He was better than anything we had prior (excluding Fitz and maybe Bledsoe ) in the drought era. 

However he never got any better. In his 3 years starting here, he never rose above average. Countless times I yelled at the TV to throw the ball as Tyrod sat there and had no idea what to do. While he was always a class act while here, there was somethjng that always rubbed me the wrong way about him. Never really seemed to embrace buffalo the way Allen does or even the way Fitz did/does. He'll always be part of the end of the drought, and that's cool, but as far as him being some kind of bills hero, nah 

Edited by Steptide
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Drew Lock's passing stats are terrible.  Mark Sanchez, Matt Leinart, EJ Manuel, Trent Edwards, and many, MANY more.  The reason this thread exists is because of posts like this.  

23 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Woods has never scored a TD in a SB or even played in one for that matter. He injured his ACL early in the year, but he technically has a ring. 

Woods played in Super Bowl LIII with the Rams.  He had 5 catches for 70 yards and rushed once for 5 yards.  Since the Rams lost 13-3 he obviously never scored a TD.  

On 7/5/2023 at 1:28 PM, Maine-iac said:

Wow.  Most peoples opinion very from he was ok to he was trash and the variation is largely based on if they actually know how well he played with help vs with no help.  I'm not going to argue opinions (and that's all they are) about how good or bad he was.   Allen is clearly much much better but people don't understand how often he had no one to throw to and how his stats almost directly correlate from good to bad based on how bad his receivers were.  It also helps if you even know what seasons he played.

In summary he sucked.    No way to sugarcoat it based on your feelings for him 

they shoulda left his sorry ass in Jacksonville after he cost the team a win by playing like a scared POS 

I think his entire career came down to that Jacksonville playoff game because it was an inflection point for the franchise to be in it, and to boot, a very winnable game.

I think TT gets the Fitzy treatment if the Bills win that game. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think a lot of it comes down to the fact Bills fans are a very fickle bunch wired a certain way. Fitz is beloved despite never once going .500 and being a very meh QB, BUT the dude was blue collar as they come and fans embrace that tenfold. That is not to say Tyrod was a hard worker because by all accounts the dude was incredibly dedicated and you never heard a bad word in that respect. But he was also very quiet and not very showy either whereas in the past Flutie who was also a small QB was again blue collar but also very direct and brash. Fans love Josh partly because game 3 of his career he's leaping over a LB. Buffalo is not the sexist place to live and with our winters you have to have some thick skin to be here to an extent. Josh blowing throw guys or leaping just resonates with the region in a sense. By comparison Taylor was a model workman and quiet which is perfectly cool, but fans are fans so that aspect does have an impact. I do think unfortunately a certain segment of fans, not large either but the noise exists looked at his skin color and didn't like that. I saw/heard the comments and the same stereotype crap that "he is just a runner"  and didn't like him due to race, despite the fact he actually was an incredibly good passer whose greatest weakness really was hesitating to strike downfield. Again small segment of fans but I had people say things in that vein to me and I shook my head and walked away.

As a QB we saw everything you can with him and I think fans by 2017 were ready to move on except the Bills kept him cheap $ wise so it was what it was. I have forever said a better coach with the defense in 2015 and what the offense was doing had an 11-5 team. He was the driver of that and most weeks they were really fun and good on the field. But the Jags game was a litmus test of sorts with him as a QB and you saw his limitations as a QB in full effect. I always got mad at the NFL talking heads who said it was a mistake we let him go as though just making the playoffs was good enough. With proper coaching and talent Tyrod was a playoff QB but he was just a piece not thee piece. Nothing wrong with that and to me he rose the standard after a decade plus of atrocious QB play on what we should want at QB and expect out of the position. I have nothing but good memories of Tyrod and watching his highlights back you realize how good at times he could be. I was front row when he bombed the deep pass to Harvin week 1 2015 vs IND for a TD and it was a thing of beauty. I have hoped that someday they do honor the drought breaking team to some extent and he gets a proper thank you for his three years here and being the trigger man on the team to end it.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/29/2023 at 7:37 PM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I have nothing but appreciation for Tyrod Taylor, a dude who gave us a few awesome years and played way above BELOW his talent level. 

this is exactly the problem.

He never wanted to be great, or as good as he could be.   Because that involved risk.

He wanted to be good enuf to maximize his earn as a career backup.   And no sarcasm, but he was great at that.

Edited by maddenboy

On 7/4/2023 at 3:19 PM, GunnerBill said:

Only in his final year. 2015 he had Watkins, Woods and Harvin.

imagine if we had this.  Right now. 

i would swap this for Diggs, Davis, and (shakir / stedford (?) / whoever) right now.  Especially if you let me keep at least one of our 2 tight ends.

And Diggs is my favorite player on the Bills, and has been since the day he got here. 

On 7/5/2023 at 7:40 AM, Beck Water said:

At a guess....the low completion % probably reflects someone who "doesn't take chances" and is throwing the ball away a lot when he can't find a receiver that is open to his satisfaction but doesn't have a good pass-protecting OL and doesn't want to risk a strip sack trying to manuever and wait.

very eloquently stated.

I will add (clarify?) that, the problem is that Tyrod did these things to benefit Tyrod.   Not to be smart within the offense.

Edited by maddenboy

15 hours ago, maddenboy said:

imagine if we had this.  Right now. 

i would swap this for Diggs, Davis, and (shakir / stedford (?) / whoever) right now.  Especially if you let me keep at least one of our 2 tight ends.

And Diggs is my favorite player on the Bills, and has been since the day he got here. 

You're kidding, right?

Sammy "boo boo foot" and now I look like a tight end" Watkins, 32 year old Woods, and "never healed from my groin injury" Harvin?

Nuts

14 hours ago, maddenboy said:

very eloquently stated.

I will add (clarify?) that, the problem is that Tyrod did these things to benefit Tyrod.   Not to be smart within the offense.

You think Tyrod was out there trying to ball and thinking "lemmee see, if I throw the ball away here and have a sucky low completion % I benefit me?"

Oh Kay....

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

Looking more and more like Tyrod and Fitz were opposite sides of the same coin made of drought mediocrity. 

Tyrod wouldn’t win you the game with a TD throw and Fitz would lose you the game with a 4th quarter interception. 

Both were just enough to give you hope and think “man if they just had a better roster around them.”

The only difference in fan perception to me is that Fitz left on his own and became the girl who got away whereas we traded Tyrod away. 

14 hours ago, Beck Water said:

You think Tyrod was out there trying to ball and thinking "lemmee see, if I throw the ball away here and have a sucky low completion % I benefit me?"

Oh Kay....

no.

i think tyrod was out there trying to NOT ball.  Unless it was just unavoidable.   And in case of emergency, the priority is to keep the gravy-train going.  Not to win no championship.

kinda like in Rounders.  "I dont play this game for the thrill of fckkin victory"

---

we always hear players whisper about "there's dudes who dont love football.  And we all know who they are, in the locker room"

I'm sayin that's Tyrod.

Edited by maddenboy

Fitz win against the Patriots was bigger than any single win we had with Tyrod. Yes, Tyrod won 8 games once, but no one would look back and say Tyrod was the reason we won any of those games. Any midtier QB would have got that 17 roster into the playoffs

23 hours ago, benderbender said:

Looking more and more like Tyrod and Fitz were opposite sides of the same coin made of drought mediocrity. 

One of the better constructed sentences I've read here in quite some time.

Thanks for that.

👍

2 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Fitz win against the Patriots was bigger than any single win we had with Tyrod. Yes, Tyrod won 8 games once, but no one would look back and say Tyrod was the reason we won any of those games. Any midtier QB would have got that 17 roster into the playoffs

This might win the worst post of the year right here.

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, corta765 said:

This might win the worst post of the year right here.

Name a single moment bigger than that game with Tyrod on the field. Our biggest moment came watching a miracle in a locker room. 

22 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Name a single moment bigger than that game with Tyrod on the field. Our biggest moment came watching a miracle in a locker room. 

You mean like winning the game that clinched a playoff birth? Bro Fitzpatrick statistically and win/loss wise was worse then Taylor across the board in his time in Buffalo.

The 2017 week 1 matchup of Buffalo NYJ was billed as the toilet bowl because everyone thought each team would be so bad it might be their only win. Yay we beat NE at home to end a losing streak to go to 3-0...in a year they finished 7-9. The 2017 team who made the playoffs actually beat the NFC champs in their house and won in KC who was a playoff team. I get Fitz is beloved as a dude by Bills fans, but he was a mediocre journeyman QB at best outside of one good year in NY. Your basically proving the posters point that Taylor deserves more respect with everything you said.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Idk, back then at the time it was big win, but I think some still feel it was more than it actually was. I think  that game may have seemed much bigger than it was because of the state of the franchise at the time. Fans emotional and desperate for something and the basically guaranteed loss to the Pats year after year.

So was so much emotion then (and rightfully so) along with how it happened coming from 21pts down, it was special...but at the end of the day it was a week 3 win 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.