Cowherd has it in for Bills

I'm Spartacus

21 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Not sure what this guys issue is, but he seems to be down on Buffalo and he particularly seems to dislike McDermott. He obviously doesn't like defensive minded coaches. Said there is all kinds of issues with Diggs not happy (whomever is sourses are). Also said McDermott is rigid and hard nosed. Compared him to Caughlin (sp?). 

The source is "someone close to the Bills' locker room" according to one of the prominent articles on the topic.  

As to this "disliking" thing, I have to question why everyone that's critical of a player or coach, or GM or owner for that matter, "dislikes" that person.  

Couldn't it simply be that they are critical about their professional performance without some sort of dislike or otherwise "hate" (hatred) or other animosity for them?  

I'm extremely critical of both McD and Beane, but I have it on great faith that both are really nice guys.  I've never met either one, never been invited to anything by them, gone out for wings & beer with them, been at any social gatherings with either.  I don't know either one personally, how could I dislike them?  

Again, I am critical of their coaching and management.  So what?  Criticism is an expected part of the fan element and aspect of this sport.  

And quite frankly, unless they're beyond criticism what's the problem?   This is a business we're told.  How many people have known people at work that are great people as people go, but simply not particularly competent in what they do?  It's difficult to imagine that anyone doesn't know one or more.  

I don't understand this personal emotional offense taken whenever McD is criticized.  The notion that they think otherwise is understandable, but that's not personal, it's professional.  As to defensive minded coaches, they're generally taking a hit in today's NFL, and why not, they're not as effective generally speaking as offensive minded ones are.  

FWIW 

Edited by PBF81

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

😂 but if we get one to sit and tell everyone the Bills are going places, everyone will jump on board with the “told you so!”.   It’s all a bunch of blowhards looking to get paid for talking about nothing.   Bills fans are horribly gullible, they will defend the team to death, even when it’s not deserved. 

You get to the same point quickly with these talking-heads: nobody but the Chiefs have really won anything since Mahomes. 

Since he is now the bar, nobody else measures up. Brady is gone.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter that the Jets have improved, that Cincinnati has Burrow, that the Jaguars are on their way up, or Buffalo is struggling/straining to hold onto the core of the 2020 team.

If nobody can really beat Mahomes/Reid, then your story is a nice one, but the media only cares about endlessly ranking the current best in the world at all times. 

In part, the Bills are being passed over now because they aren't a new story anymore. Close, heart-breaking losses only can be sold for so long.

Boredom has set in with the Bills and media are moving on to the new stories - Bengals, Jets, Lawrence, Lamar and his new deal. 

The other part is their core is being whittled away a little bit, and there is some friction developing - Schoen, Daboll, Frazier, Chad Hall, Edmunds, Diggs. There has been some erosion around the edges, with Beane doing his best to backfill on limited cap space. 

I think the feeling Nationally is the Bills haven't been good enough to win it all at their peak, and now there appear to cracks, so we're moving on. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Man, I'm sorry if my topics aren't stellar upper echelon conversations. This is suppoed to be a message board for civil discussions right? As usual, a few members just love bashing others and belittling them. I'll probably stop posting...not worth it. And please don't go with stand by "get thicker skin" or "use the ignore function". Have fun boys, Go Bills.

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

You get to the same point quickly with these talking-heads: nobody but the Chiefs have really won anything since Mahomes. 

Since he is now the bar, nobody else measures up. Brady is gone.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter that the Jets have improved, that Cincinnati has Burrow, that the Jaguars are on their way up, or Buffalo is struggling/straining to hold onto the core of the 2020 team.

If nobody can really beat Mahomes/Reid, then your story is a nice one, but the media only cares about endlessly ranking the current best in the world at all times. 

In part, the Bills are being passed over now because they aren't a new story anymore. Close, heart-breaking losses only can be sold for so long.

Boredom has set in with the Bills and media are moving on to the new stories - Bengals, Jets, Lawrence, Lamar and his new deal. 

The other part is their core is being whittled away a little bit, and there is some friction developing - Schoen, Daboll, Frazier, Chad Hall, Edmunds, Diggs. There has been some erosion around the edges, with Beane doing his best to backfill on limited cap space. 

I think the feeling Nationally is the Bills haven't been good enough to win it all at their peak, and now there appear to cracks, so we're moving on. 

That’s entirely too logical of an argument 😂 I couldn’t agree more.  

Everyone is chasing the Chiefs till they beat them, the Bills have their regular season number and it appeared like they could do it in the playoffs until the blunder of the decade.   The Bengals dismantled the Bills in the playoffs, now there’s drama around the team, it all makes it easy to drop them off the radar / point out flaws. 

To be completely fair, the coaching has been suspect in big moments.  Now we are banking on McDermott to not only be the head coach, which he seemed to lack control of the game in those big moments, but to call the defense too.  That’s a lot.   Not many guys pull it off, those that do are considered legends and that’s not where he’s ranked at the moment.   The skepticism is warranted and fair at this point in time.  

To be brutally honest, the lack of draft success is what’s really pinning Beane in a corner.  You can’t continue to fill the big roles with high dollar FAs and expect to have any money left.  Right now, the only premium position on the roster the Bills aren’t paying too dollar to is left Tackle.  You are paying to end of the market (at least when they signed) for QB, WR, DE, CB, and even Center.  They have some reasonable, but fairly high priced guys at Saftey,  LB, TE and DT w Oliver as well.  They are officially painted into a corner at WR, they have to spend big or rely on a rookie for WR 2 (with the Diggs drama, maybe WR 1 as well) next year.   There’s still a lot of question about the OL and the DL which is absurdly over paid, has underperformed in a proportional fashion.  There’s a lot of reason to doubt and not much performance wise that says this team is on the right path.  This is starting to take the shape of the Whaley roster, with Josh Allen at QB, not for nothing, that roster made the playoffs with Tyrod at the helm, so it’s not that it can’t be “good enough” but we all knew that team was never going to win it all.  I think if you are honest with yourself, you can see we are not a lot different at this point than the year before Whaley got fired.  There’s a lot of fat to trim and not a ton of top end talent, nor really much talent at all at the skill positions.

Cowherd is the poster-boy for why sports media sucks...he is a total wind-sock...a man who is a proud front-runner.  There may be worse, but because so many seem to put stock in what he says, and think he is "smart", I loathe him more than any national sports-talk radio personality... he openly admits that he is a "shiny object" sports fan....and if you are not, he thinks you are wasting your time.

Edited by Buftex
  • Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, Buftex said:

Cowherd is the poster-boy for why sports media sucks...he is a total wind-sock...a man who is a proud front-runner.  There may be worse, but because so many seem to put stock in what he says, and think he is "smart", I loathe him more than any national sports-talk radio personality... he openly admits that he is a "shiny object" sports fan....and if you are not, he thinks you are wasting your time.

Cowherd talks to enough people behind the scenes to help give him more scoop than the average fan. 

I agree that he doesn't "break anything down" on his own to a finer degree than a guy on his couch. 

His show became unlistenable because he repeats his basic thoughts on 3-4 topics over and over. 

He does the same show everyday. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

On 6/21/2023 at 10:43 AM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Cowherd talks to enough people behind the scenes to help give him more scoop than the average fan. 

I agree that he doesn't "break anything down" on his own to a finer degree than a guy on his couch. 

His show became unlistenable because he repeats his basic thoughts on 3-4 topics over and over. 

He does the same show everyday. 

Many years ago, before he got as big as he is now, he was on the air at GR55 every day, or at least that's how I remember it.  I would listen to him a little, not knowing much about him.

After listening to pieces of 3 or 4 shows, I noticed that the guy was CONSTANTLY uttering the name "URBAN MEYER" in one context or the other.

I had to laugh as I just didn't give a rat's $*$ about Urban Meyer or college football at the time, and decided I was done with the guy.  It was just funny how often he said the guy's name.

On 6/21/2023 at 8:46 AM, BadboyBills said:

He was at it again yesterday and his takes we're just ridiculous and disingenous at best. Mentions Russell Wilson is losing weight and they improved their O line, plus Payton = Superbowl. Didn't mention our o-line and D-line improvements or that our wide receiver depth is better and I think Shakir is going to surprise. I listened for a few minutes and turned it off, I have no patience for idiocy even if to just stir the pot for ratings. Just tune him out, it's simple.

Why would Cowherd discuss middling players like McGovern, Shell, Sherfield, Harty, Shakir, Ford, etc. on a national program? Floyd would be somewhat notable if he was enhancing the defense instead of replacing Miller. I assume he mentioned the Broncos OL because McGlinchey and Powers are actually legitimate starters. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 6/21/2023 at 12:37 AM, TC in St. Louis said:

They've had basketball championships.  Other than the 60's AFL, we got nothing.

True, but they are both "heavy" football cities with glory days long long ago, with a few singular good season sprinkled in every now & then.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

All is well folks.  Cowherd did his usual thing and changed his tune for the ratings.

Top-10 HC/QB combo: #8 McD and Allen

I'm not going to post the video just because he doesn't deserve the clicks. 😁

I won't watch it but I'm guessing his buddy Payton and Wilson were ahead of us.

The negative media does make sense. A lot of the time in the media’s eyes you are what your last game showed.

The Bills imo have improved their overall roster depth and roster structure but in the eyes of the media they are worse or the same team they saw vs Cincinnati.

But look deeper. Bills are still 3rd Super Bowl favorites only behind last year’s Super Bowl teams. I think a lot of the talk is just talk.

• Like (+1) 1

It's transparent to the point of boredom. Please Colin, name the 7 coach and qb combos the bills would love to trade allen and Sean for. Does that dip into dak/Mccarthy territory? Staley/Herbert? Imagine actually thinking this. Of course, he doesn't 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I won't watch it but I'm guessing his buddy Payton and Wilson were ahead of us.

I didn't even watch it, the clipped image showed the top 10 and I saw where the bills were and just keep scrolling.

You should want as much negative media as possible. Players and coaches see this and this fuels them. For us fans, does it matter what so and so says or does it matter at the end of the season who has the Lombardi?

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

You should want as much negative media as possible. Players and coaches see this and this fuels them. For us fans, does it matter what so and so says or does it matter at the end of the season who has the Lombardi?

I feel the same- more fuel for the fire

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I feel the same- more fuel for the fire

The complete OPPOSITE of the white hot love light of last year works for me. Give them some us against the world fire down below. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, arcane said:

It's transparent to the point of boredom. Please Colin, name the 7 coach and qb combos the bills would love to trade allen and Sean for. Does that dip into dak/Mccarthy territory? Staley/Herbert? Imagine actually thinking this. Of course, he doesn't 

The only combos I can think of are KC, Cincy and Philly. That’s only 3. Maybe you can argue one other one like Lamar/Harbaugh but who the ***** else are you really saying is better let alone 3 other ones on top of what was mentioned 

• Simon locked this topic