Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2023-2024

Draconator

3 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Quebec City has a new arena all set for NHL hockey. That's another possibility. 

Revive the Canadiens - Nordiques rivalry. I would be all for that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I don't know if the arena the Houston Rockets use can be used for hockey. I do know KC has an arena that can be used for hockey. Years ago, the Islanders played a preseason game there. That is another market that the NHL could look at. 

It can.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/17/2024 at 3:15 PM, BillsFan4 said:

That’s my guess too. I think Adams really liked Granato and wanted to give him every opportunity to figure it out. I also doubt Adams was anxious to go to Pegula and say “hey, I know I extended Granato a year before we needed to but now I want to fire him before that extension even starts…”. lol

I actually feel like this rebuild is progressing as it should for the most part. Granato was the right coach at the right time when he was hired. He did an excellent job rebuilding a bunch of broken players, developing the young guys and raising expectations. But like most successful rebuilds in the NHL, I think the Sabres now need that “win now” veteran coach to take the next step.

sounding like the opposite is true.  He was way too soft--especially on the younger players.

he had to go--should have done it sooner.

28 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I am surprised Houston hasn't gotten a look. Big market and they would have an instant rivalry with the Stars. 

I am biased because I live in Houston but it makes no sense to me that the NHL hasn't pursued a team in Houston.  Its the 4th biggest city in the country, we have an arena with ice (Toyota Center), and Houston had an IHL/AHL team that routinely led the league in attendance.  There are a lot of Canadian transplants here as well as a massive contingent of Americans who have relocated from traditional hockey markets.  Houston has the second most Fortune 500 companies of any city in the country and can easily sell luxury suites/boxes.  

From what I have read, Bettman doesn't want a hockey team sharing space with the basketball team even though that is a situation in so many other cities.  Its such an obvious and natural move and its not going to happen. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/general/article/houston-nhl-shut-out-arena-ownership-issues-19401721.php

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/four-reasons-the-nhl-in-houston-is-complicated-15717672

https://thehockeynews.com/news/reaction-nba-rockets-owner-says-hes-talked-to-nhl-about-bringing-a-team-to-houston

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gregg said:

I don't know if the arena the Houston Rockets use can be used for hockey. I do know KC has an arena that can be used for hockey. Years ago, the Islanders played a preseason game there. That is another market that the NHL could look at. 

They played more than a preseason game there. 😆 

Kansas City used to have an NHL team. The Kansas City Scouts are called the: New Jersey Devils now.

J6836H-75-0_600x0.jpg

😆🤣 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I am biased because I live in Houston but it makes no sense to me that the NHL hasn't pursued a team in Houston.  Its the 4th biggest city in the country, we have an arena with ice (Toyota Center), and Houston had an IHL/AHL team that routinely led the league in attendance.  There are a lot of Canadian transplants here as well as a massive contingent of Americans who have relocated from traditional hockey markets.  Houston has the second most Fortune 500 companies of any city in the country and can easily sell luxury suites/boxes.  

From what I have read, Bettman doesn't want a hockey team sharing space with the basketball team even though that is a situation in so many other cities.  Its such an obvious and natural move and its not going to happen. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/general/article/houston-nhl-shut-out-arena-ownership-issues-19401721.php

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/four-reasons-the-nhl-in-houston-is-complicated-15717672

https://thehockeynews.com/news/reaction-nba-rockets-owner-says-hes-talked-to-nhl-about-bringing-a-team-to-houston

I didn't know Houston had/has an IHL/AHL hockey team and they led the league in attendance. All the more reason for them to have an NHL team. Plus, hockey in Texas has grown as a sport. Dallas really loves their Stars. 

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Kansas City used to have an NHL team. The Kansas City Scouts are called the: New Jersey Devils now.

J6836H-75-0_600x0.jpg

😆🤣 

I knew the Devils came from KC but that was over 40 years ago. There first season in NJ was 1982.

• Like (+1) 1

Looks like Utah is really excited about their new hockey team.

SiriusXM NHL Network Radio on X: "Utah Owner Ryan Smith has 11,000 season ticket deposits in the first few hours." / X (twitter.com)

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

I didn't know Houston had/has an IHL/AHL hockey team and they led the league in attendance. All the more reason for them to have an NHL team. Plus, hockey in Texas has grown as a sport. Dallas really loves their Stars. 

I knew the Devils came from KC but that was over 40 years ago. There first season in NJ was 1982.

Yup. Came to NJ from KC via Colorado (Rockies)...

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

sounding like the opposite is true.  He was way too soft--especially on the younger players.

he had to go--should have done it sooner.

I meant raising the expectations for the team and fan base. We all were kind of expecting playoffs this year, as after last season it actually felt like a real possibility not just wishful thinking. Granato definitely played a part in that.

I agree about Granato being too soft. But I think the timing of his firing was about right. I don’t really see an argument for him being fired last offseason. Maybe he should have been canned mid season. I could agree with that.

But I think the players all seem ready for a new, more demanding coach now. They all now seem to realize that he needed to go for the team to take the next step. I don’t think that was the case earlier this season. Look at how the players stopped saluting the fans after they were chanting to fire Granato early this season.

But now I think all the players seem ready to buy-in to a new, more demanding veteran coach. That’s important IMO. It makes the new coach’s job easier.

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

Looks like Utah is really excited about their new hockey team.

SiriusXM NHL Network Radio on X: "Utah Owner Ryan Smith has 11,000 season ticket deposits in the first few hours." / X (twitter.com)

That’s awesome!

• Like (+1) 2

Anybody else doing an NHL playoff bracket through NHL.com?

I just submitted my picks.  I have Florida winning it this year.  I know this is going to happen because now it's going to be Reinhart's turn to stick it to Buffalo

My screenname on there is SufferinginBFLO btw if anybody else is doing it 

• Like (+1) 1

Who else is looking forward to Boston vs. TO later today?  Will be cheering hard for the Bruins.

My prediction: Bruins in 6.

Probably the 1st round series I want to see the most.

On 4/18/2024 at 10:55 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

J6836H-75-0_600x0.jpg

😆🤣 

Who the hell doesn't know about the KC Scouts?

Wonder if he remembers the Atlanta Flames or Colorado Rockies.

Or California Golden Seals!  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Who else is looking forward to Boston vs. TO later today?  Will be cheering hard for the Bruins.

My prediction: Bruins in 6.

Probably the 1st round series I want to see the most.

Who the hell doesn't know about the KC Scouts?

Wonder if he remembers the Atlanta Flames or Colorado Rockies.

Or California Golden Seals!  

Well the Rockies were the Scouts and now the Devils.

How about the Cleveland Barons!😊

On 4/18/2024 at 4:45 PM, Draconator said:

Quebec City has a new arena all set for NHL hockey. That's another possibility. 

In a perfect world ai’d love to see the Nordiques back.

In a realistic world that is a market that a lot of players don’t want to play in. Imagine if they moves the Coyotes there? Going from Arizona to Quebec City would be a shock on the system.

Wouldn't have been my first choice but I'd rather have Lindy than Granato.  Brindamour was never a realistic option IMO because I'm pretty confident he just stays with Carolina.  I think with some proper roster maintenance Lindy can get this group to the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

Love it! Lindy will have this team in the playoffs next year. Take it to the bank!

People will say this a reach for the past. Disagree. Lindy is a excellent coach in this league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, zevo said:

People will say this a reach for the past. Disagree. Lindy is a excellent coach in this league.

I don't think its a reach for the past.  I think its a sign that no one else with any experience was interested in the job.

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 2

I actually love this hire. I thought he was the best fit of the veteran coaches currently available. I would have been good with Berube or Gallant. The rumors of Mike Yeo scared me. I thought Boudreau would be a good fit too but after reading more about him I don’t think he’s the disciplined coach we needed right now.

Berube- I thought the style of game he likes to play didn’t really fit this roster.

Gallant - I thought his style of play fit well but I had questions about the overall fit that I didn’t have with Lindy. I’ve seen it reporter that Gallant relied on veterans to lead and the Sabres don’t have any. There were also the exit interviews from the rangers players last season after he was fired. Reminded me of Buffalo’s sit interviews this season. Lots of talk about needing better structure, etc.

and if you liked Gallant, you should be excited about Lindy because Lindy just coached circles around him in last year’s playoffs! Gallant had no answers for the changes Lindy made to the way NJ attacked and defended NY.

Ruff just checked all the boxes for me. I feel like he’s exactly what this team needs.

The way he had New Jersey playing last year is EXACTLY how we hope the Sabres can play in the future. Aggressive, high speed offensive attack with constant in your face pressure on defense.

If Ruff gets the Sabres playing like the 2022/23 Devils, and actually gets good goaltending (unlike in NJ), the Sabres could be a legit powerhouse. Fans will be thrilled if we look like that 2022/23 Devils team did! I know I certainly would.

He’s a good, well respected veteran coach (and probably even more so in Buffalo) with a history of playoffs, and winning rounds in the playoffs too, + winning with multiple teams. He’s had 50+ win seasons with every team he’s coached (here in Buffalo, in Dallas and just last year with NJ).
He will be a true leader for the team. He’s someone they can all look up to and follow. I don’t expect buy-in to be an issue.

He will hold the players accountable.

He will run tough practices.

He’s one of the best tacticians in the NHL. He’s great at in game, and between game adjustments.

and NOBODY will take more pride in this job than Lindy Ruff. Nobody wants to get Buffalo back to being a winner more than Lindy. Nobody is invested more in Buffalo than Lindy. He still lives here! 

I also think he can help repair this rift between the team/players and fans.

Then add in that Kevyn Adams has coached by Lindy’s side and it just made too much sense not to happen.

I honestly even think that Lindy becoming available in March could have been when Adams started seriously considering moving on from Granato. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I actually love this hire. I thought he was the best fit of the veteran coaches currently available. I would have been good with Berube or Gallant. The rumors of Mike Yeo scared me. I thought Boudreau would be a good fit too but after reading more about him I don’t think he’s the disciplined coach we needed right now.

Berube- I thought the style of game he likes to play didn’t really fit this roster.

Gallant - I thought his style of play fit well but I had questions about the overall fit that I didn’t have with Lindy. I’ve seen it reporter that Gallant relied on veterans to lead and the Sabres don’t have any. There were also the exit interviews from the rangers players last season after he was fired. Reminded me of Buffalo’s sit interviews this season. Lots of talk about needing better structure, etc.

and if you liked Gallant, you should be excited about Lindy because Lindy just coached circles around him in last year’s playoffs! Gallant had no answers for the changes Lindy made to the way NJ attacked and defended NY.

Ruff just checked all the boxes for me. I feel like he’s exactly what this team needs.

The way he had New Jersey playing last year is EXACTLY how we hope the Sabres can play in the future. Aggressive, high speed offensive attack with constant in your face pressure on defense.

If Ruff gets the Sabres playing like the 2022/23 Devils, and actually gets good goaltending (unlike in NJ), the Sabres could be a legit powerhouse. Fans will be thrilled if we look like that 2022/23 Devils team did! I know I certainly would.

He’s a good, well respected veteran coach (and probably even more so in Buffalo) with a history of playoffs, and winning rounds in the playoffs too, + winning with multiple teams. He’s had 50+ win seasons with every team he’s coached (here in Buffalo, in Dallas and just last year with NJ).
He will be a true leader for the team. He’s someone they can all look up to and follow. I don’t expect buy-in to be an issue.

He will hold the players accountable.

He will run tough practices.

He’s one of the best tacticians in the NHL. He’s great at in game, and between game adjustments.

and NOBODY will take more pride in this job than Lindy Ruff. Nobody wants to get Buffalo back to being a winner more than Lindy. Nobody is invested more in Buffalo than Lindy. He still lives here! 

I also think he can help repair this rift between the team/players and fans.

Then add in that Kevyn Adams has coached by Lindy’s side and it just made too much sense not to happen.

I honestly even think that Lindy becoming available in March could have been when Adams started seriously considering moving on from Granato. 

There's a lot of kvetching happening on the Sabres' forum about not having a complete search. I dunno, but I love the hire.

Same fellas bellyaching all year that we need an experienced coach who will hold the young players accountable are now finding reasons to be negative.

It's not a caveat, just an extra wish. I'd like to get Peca back as an assistant coach.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

There's a lot of kvetching happening on the Sabres' forum about not having a complete search. I dunno, but I love the hire.

Same fellas bellyaching all year that we need an experienced coach who will hold the young players accountable are now finding reasons to be negative.

It's not a caveat, just an extra wish. I'd like to get Peca back as an assistant coach.

we don’t really know who else Adams interviewed. He very well could have interviewed Gallant and/or Berube, etc. It’s also possible that Berube wasn’t interested (I think Gallant probably was).

There aren’t a ton of accomplished, experienced veteran head coach available.

I read rumors they interviewed Mike Yeo but I have no idea if it’s true.

who else is there that meets the criteria?

I don’t think they had any interest in Todd McLellan and I don’t blame them. Reports are that he purposely tanked his Sabres interview last time around (when they interviewed him before hiring Krueger iirc).

I hope they did interview other candidates, if for no other reason than to hear their evaluation of the Sabres roster/players, etc. But even if they only talked to Lindy I’m ok with it. The fit seemed obvious. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn they talked to him before they even fired Granato.

20 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

we don’t really know who else Adams interviewed. He very well could have interviewed Gallant and/or Berube, etc. It’s also possible that Berube wasn’t interested (I think Gallant probably was).

There aren’t a ton of accomplished, experienced veteran head coach available.

I read rumors they interviewed Mike Yeo but I have no idea if it’s true.

who else is there that meets the criteria?

I don’t think they had any interest in Todd McLellan and I don’t blame them. Reports are that he purposely tanked his Sabres interview last time around (when they interviewed him before hiring Krueger iirc).

I hope they did interview other candidates, if for no other reason than to hear their evaluation of the Sabres roster/players, etc. But even if they only talked to Lindy I’m ok with it. The fit seemed obvious. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn they talked to him before they even fired Granato.

Yes, I agree about talking to Ruff. I don't have a problem with it, either.

One fella speculated that maybe there were two or three alternatives that met KA's stated criteria, and that it wouldn't take long to gauge if any of them were interested. 

Whether KA did due diligence on all the possibilities doesn't bother me, because Ruff is obviously qualified. If I meet the right girl, I don't feel it's necessary to search the field to make sure she's the one. I think some folks believe KA lied about a serious coaching search, and they extrapolate from that perhaps that he will not make serious moves to upgrade the roster through trade or free agency.

I think KA knows he's out of runway and has to produce, so I expect more significant change this off-season. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Yes, I agree about talking to Ruff. I don't have a problem with it, either.

One fella speculated that maybe there were two or three alternatives that met KA's stated criteria, and that it wouldn't take long to gauge if any of them were interested. 

Whether KA did due diligence on all the possibilities doesn't bother me, because Ruff is obviously qualified. If I meet the right girl, I don't feel it's necessary to search the field to make sure she's the one. I think some folks believe KA lied about a serious coaching search, and they extrapolate from that perhaps that he will not make serious moves to upgrade the roster through trade or free agency.

I think KA knows he's out of runway and has to produce, so I expect more significant change this off-season. 

Personally, I never got the impression Adams was going to conduct a wide coaching search. I thought it sounded like he had a handful of very specific candidates in mind. He even said he was going to move quickly if all went as planned.

I think an argument could be made that Ruff was the best available candidate for Buffalo, and maybe even the best available veteran coach on the market. Maybe you give the nod to Berube for the Cup win. But on overall resume, Lindy was right there with any available coach if not better. I think an argument could be made for any of Ruff, Gallant or Berube. Depends what the team needs. I’d say for Buffalo, Ruff was the best fit. I just think Kevyn Adams vision for the roster is pretty much exactly how New Jersey played, and we saw how successful that was last season.

and I don’t at all buy that Brunette was responsible for it. The devils had good underlying numbers before Brunette got there and after he left, and they got worse after Lindy was fired.

Also - agree on Adams and changes this offseason. I think we will definitely see a new bottom six but I hope he also makes an addition to the top 6.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Personally, I never got the impression Adams was going to conduct a wide coaching search. I thought it sounded like he had a handful of very specific candidates in mind. He even said he was going to move quickly if all went as planned.

I think an argument could be made that Ruff was the best available candidate for Buffalo, and maybe even the best available veteran coach on the market. Maybe you give the nod to Berube for the Cup win. But on overall resume, Lindy was right there with any available coach if not better. I think an argument could be made for any of Ruff, Gallant or Berube. Depends what the team needs. I’d say for Buffalo, Ruff was the best fit. I just think Kevyn Adams vision for the roster is pretty much exactly how New Jersey played, and we saw how successful that was last season.

and I don’t at all buy that Brunette was responsible for it. The devils had good underlying numbers before Brunette got there and after he left, and they got worse after Lindy was fired.

Also - agree on Adams and changes this offseason. I think we will definitely see a new bottom six but I hope he also makes an addition to the top 6.

Well, I buy your narrative. The sour folks are pushing Brunette as responsible. I don't really fully understand the animus of some towards Ruff. They have so much bitterness towards Pegula that I think it colors any decision that is made. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I don't think its a reach for the past.  I think its a sign that no one else with any experience was interested in the job.

The Sabres have a roster that any coach would love to have, including a solid goalie and a great goalie prospect. I doubt there was a lack of interest. I think Ruff was the guy for weeks. There wasn't going to be any other interviews.

Anyone remember the calls to fire Granato when Ruff was fired by NJ? Seemed like a great idea then, huh?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Sabres have a roster that any coach would love to have, including a solid goalie and a great goalie prospect. I doubt there was a lack of interest. I think Ruff was the guy for weeks. There wasn't going to be any other interviews.

Anyone remember the calls to fire Granato when Ruff was fired by NJ? Seemed like a great idea then, huh?

Its definitely a top 28 roster.

• Haha (+1) 2

Good enough hire for one year.   He will get them back to some of the basic thresholds of professionalism.   Like Dick Jauron did in 2006 when cleaning up the disorganized mess that Mike Mularkey left behind.   But then they need to be ready to pivot quickly to something better..........which is also something that should be a given for an NHL franchise.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He will get them back to some of the basic thresholds of professionalism

Which should be the number one goal.  They desperately needed a coach with legitimate NHL experience to instill the structure and discipline required to compete over a full 82-game season and not just in spurts.  There is no excuse for a team with this talent to miss the playoffs.  Under Granato they were undisciplined defensively and horrendous on special teams.  And judging by Mittelstadt’s comments after leaving practices were a breeze.

I don’t know if Ruff is more than a one-year answer but I doubt there is a guy out there who wants to win in Buffalo more than he does.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Good enough hire for one year.   He will get them back to some of the basic thresholds of professionalism.   Like Dick Jauron did in 2006 when cleaning up the disorganized mess that Mike Mularkey left behind.   But then they need to be ready to pivot quickly to something better..........which is also something that should be a given for an NHL franchise.  

Lindy's 64 I think he's only here for 2 or 3 years MAX(could be a one and done possibly) I think he can be the bridge guy that brings the franchise back to respectability and gets them in the playoffs but agreed then they will need to find the guy that can really navigate them to a Cup contending team. 

• Like (+1) 1