Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2023-2024

Draconator

Just now, Beast said:

Brind’ Amour is my first choice but highly unlikely.

Second is Michael Peca as my guy is he would be a Brind’ Amour type coach in the making.

Third is bringing back Lindy.

This team shouldn’t be focused on anything other than becoming a credible NHL franchise. 

Stop the bleeding then we can talk.

Brind'Amour is still coaching the 'Canes.  As for Lindy, Terry kept him for a couple seasons after buying the team and that was the start of the drought.  Peca would be interesting.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Brind'Amour is still coaching the 'Canes.  As for Lindy, Terry kept him for a couple seasons after buying the team and that was the start of the drought.  Peca would be interesting.

Yes, but Briind’ Amour is in the last year of his contract and is buddies with Adams.

Like I said, doubtful but I wouldn’t completely bury those chances.

Edited by Beast

6 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

I can't believe that they fired the coach.  I mean, yes, I can, but I thought that he would be here forever.

So long as they don't hire Ted Nolan or the ghost of Lindy Ruff, I would hope for better results next year.

Why?  The previous guys lasted 3 years at most.

Just now, Doc said:

Why?  The previous guys lasted 3 years at most.

Easy question.  They gave Grannato an extension and yet the team underachieved, like bigly.

The Sabres aren't terrible.  As I wrote earlier in this thread, we've seen terrible with the Sabres in recent years.   They gave the coach an extension with zero reason(s) to do so.  In that light I am surprised about the change in course.

My first choice is Quenneville.  Then Berube.  They check all the boxes, especially Quenneville.  The Sabres have done a lot of good faith things for the NHL over the years.  Time to cash that in and ask for Coach Q to be reinstated.  

My guess is it will be Seth Appert, who will be Granato 2.0.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There will be no blood letting in Sabreland, other than a bunch of assistant coaches. The Sabres are done changing coaches every two years. This is still a young team and it just takes longer to develop in the NHL. It sucks but that's how it is.

What sucks more is we have a GM that honestly thought that he could have a goalie right out of college play in the NHL at a high level. Sorry all off season most of us were crying for a veteran goalie to replace Comrie (and I for one also wanted Levi to develop in Rochester) and give us a 2 goalie situation. I also have issues with Samuelsson going into the season and he answered to me he's not a top 4 guy. Also keeping both Zemgus and Okoposo felt foolish in the preseason as they aren't all that great. Granted we did add Byram but took until the trade deadline to get him. I'm hoping against hope we find a good HC but have some serious doubts. Toss in have little faith of our GM putting out a NHL ready roster. 

12 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

My first choice is Quenneville.  Then Berube.  They check all the boxes, especially Quenneville.  The Sabres have done a lot of good faith things for the NHL over the years.  Time to cash that in and ask for Coach Q to be reinstated.  

My guess is it will be Seth Appert, who will be Granato 2.0.

Quenneville likely never living down that scandle. Guy Boucher is an interesting guy, yet he seems to wear thin after two seasons based on previous stints but maybe he has finally learned in Toronto. 

• Like (+1) 2

thats the most pissed off and fired up I’ve ever seen Adams. I really liked almost everything he said.

It sounds like he has a very clear vision of who he wants as the next head coach and I’m no longer worried it’s going to be another inexperienced coach.

He said NHL head coaching experience is #1 (finally!!). He wants an experienced veteran that can show this team how to take the next step. And he wants someone that’s going to set a standard and hold the players accountable. He said the team is craving structure/discipline/accountability.

refreshing press conference. It’s long but really worth a listen.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

thats the most pissed off and fired up I’ve ever seen Adams. I really liked almost everything he said.

It sounds like he has a very clear vision of who he wants as the next head coach and I’m no longer worried it’s going to be another inexperienced coach.

He said NHL head coaching experience is #1 (finally!!). He wants an experienced veteran that can show this team how to take the next step. And he wants someone that’s going to set a standard and hold the players accountable. He said the team is craving structure/discipline/accountability.

Listened to the whole thing. It was a good presser. They had to make a change. I hope it's just the beginning and that KA is willing to trade some assets for NHL ready players. Also, I don't think all the "core" players should be off the table if an opportunity presents itself. 

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

I can't believe that they fired the coach.  I mean, yes, I can, but I thought that he would be here forever.

So long as they don't hire Ted Nolan or the ghost of Lindy Ruff, I would hope for better results next year.

Yeah, Lindy Ruff. His ghost got the second youngest team in the NHL 112 points a year ago.

• Like (+1) 1

Brind'Amour is a pipe dream. He took a discount on his last extension ($1.8M/yr) when he probably could have got double that on the open market. He appreciates  ownership and his GM and said his family loves the area and has no intent to move. Adams also said he wants to "move quickly" and a Carolina playoff run doesn't jibe with that.

There are legitimate reasons to hire Ruff besides nostalgia, he's got a no-nonsense style and will hold young players accountable.

38 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

... and for this year?

I liked him as coach here, don't get me wrong, but I'd much prefer someone like Berube.

His goalies failed him big time.

30 minutes ago, Beast said:

His goalies failed him big time.

Tons of injuries too, including to their #1 C and they lost their #1 D for the year in late November. That was a huge loss. They only had like 1/2 a dozen players that weren’t injured at some point this season.

I do also wonder how much losing Andrew Brunette impacted them, and how big a part he was of that record setting NJ season in 2022/23. He was really impressive as an interim coach in FL and has been really impressive as Nashville’s head coach this season.

But I think Lindy has enough of a track record before Brunette that I’m sure he was just as crucial to NJ’s success in 2022/23 as Brunette, if not more so.

• Agree 1

well as a  new fan of the Sabres and NHL hockey I have no clue as to whom should be hired as Sabres head coach.

team legacy recently has become "close but no cigar" The city and its fan base demand better performance and a change deemed necessary by many I read here.

Suffice it to say I will have the highest of hopes for next season to finally pop that playoffs cherry . They are OUR Sabres. I'm IN either way.

I hope there continues to be chat during the Playoffs even if we are not involved.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Process said:

What a hilarious way for the playoff race to end

GOOD

HATE the RedWings.

Too bad the Sabres buggy whipped them 7-3 on March 12th.

Ooops. Those points woulda helped.

😆 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Isles fan here. Here are my Eastern Conference predictions.

Rangers over Caps in 5. UGH. I hate the Rags just as much as I do the Jets, Dolphins, Pats. Unfortunately, the Rags aren't losing here.

Canes over Isles in 5. I want to be wrong here but I know how this will end.

Bruins over Leafs in 7. Close series but I will go with the B's simply because they have the better goaltending.

Panthers over Lightning in 7. Coin flip here. This series could go either way. Just think FLA is the better team but it's close.

Good luck to the Sabres in hiring the next HC. They have talent as they proved last year with 93 points. The right coach can make a difference. It's been too long since playoff hockey was played in Buffalo. The Sabres need to end that 13-year playoff less streak.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, muppy said:

well as a  new fan of the Sabres and NHL hockey I have no clue as to whom should be hired as Sabres head coach.

team legacy recently has become "close but no cigar" The city and its fan base demand better performance and a change deemed necessary by many I read here.

Suffice it to say I will have the highest of hopes for next season to finally pop that playoffs cherry . They are OUR Sabres. I'm IN either way.

I hope there continues to be chat during the Playoffs even if we are not involved.

If you take GM Kevyn Adams' word as gospel, it will be an experienced coach. So that limits choices to former Sabres coach Lindy Ruff, Craig Berube, or Bruce Boudreau. Joel Quennville is also possible but must be reinstated by the NHL first. Other coaches could become available like Mike Sullivan and John Tortorella. An interesting wild card is Rod Brind'amour of the Carolina Hurricanes who is close to Adams as former teammates, and Brind'amour's contract is about to expire as the team has failed to extend him.

It goes without saying that this hire must have the resume to give fans confidence moving forward.

Meanwhile the Rochester Americans have clinched a playoff berth and have been one of the hottest AHL teams of late.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

18 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

here is what bothers me. KS states standards and accountability were not high starting with the first day of training camp.

1) Then why did you wait so long to fire Donny? The season may have been salvaged had you made this move between Thanksgiving and Christmas. But maybe you just felt Donny was going to turn it around? 

2) He wanted to fire Donny, but Terry would not let him

neither one of those scenarios are good  if you are a Sabre fan

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

here is what bothers me. KS states standards and accountability were not high starting with the first day of training camp.

1) Then why did you wait so long to fire Donny? The season may have been salvaged had you made this move between Thanksgiving and Christmas. But maybe you just felt Donny was going to turn it around? 

2) He wanted to fire Donny, but Terry would not let him

neither one of those scenarios are good  if you are a Sabre fan

My guess is he just extended Don and wanted to give him every chance before using the hook. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

My guess is he just extended Don and wanted to give him every chance before using the hook. 

Terry?

Cause if it was KA, and he said he knew right from the jump that the standards and accountability were not high, he should have fired him mid season...when ya still had a season that could have been saved

5 hours ago, wnyguy said:

Bruins vs Leafs in the first round. Who do I hate more? Will be happy for whoever gets knocked out in the first round.

Yeah they both suck. lol

I’d probably say I’d rather see the bruins win, just because there are rumors that Sheldon Keefe could be fired if the leafs lose in the 1st round and that’s a coach I’d like Buffalo to interview. Chances are he’d end up in Pittsburgh if he was fired though, and it doesn’t sound like Adams plans on waiting for the playoffs anyway. So I doubt it’ll matter.

20 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah they both suck. lol

I’d probably say I’d rather see the bruins win, just because there are rumors that Sheldon Keefe could be fired if the leafs lose in the 1st round and that’s a coach I’d like Buffalo to interview. Chances are he’d end up in Pittsburgh if he was fired though, and it doesn’t sound like Adams plans on waiting for the playoffs anyway. So I doubt it’ll matter.

Craig Berube would be an interesting choice. He did lead the Blues to a Stanley Cup championship. He is available to interview right now.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm concerned about the way Matt Ellis and Marty Wilford have NOT been fired with the rest.

That's weird and I hope they'll both be gone when the new coach shows up.

I was encouraged by Adams' PC which seems to indicate Seth Appert will NOT be the coach; that's a huge win for Sabres fans right there.

Now we need to avoid the pitfall of hiring Lindy again.  He would be an improvement, but not ideal IMO.

The guy I'd love to see is Joel Quenneville, but he's not reinstated yet, and I think his penalty was to last through this off-season.

I don't know.  Maybe Berube.  Don't think they'll wait long enough to try and get Brind A'mour and I don't think he'd come here anyway.

It feels like they will try to get a guy fast.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That’s my guess too. I think Adams really liked Granato and wanted to give him every opportunity to figure it out. I also doubt Adams was anxious to go to Pegula and say “hey, I know I extended Granato a year before we needed to but now I want to fire him before that extension even starts…”. lol

I actually feel like this rebuild is progressing as it should for the most part. Granato was the right coach at the right time when he was hired. He did an excellent job rebuilding a bunch of broken players, developing the young guys and raising expectations. But like most successful rebuilds in the NHL, I think the Sabres now need that “win now” veteran coach to take the next step.

• Like (+1) 1

This has been somewhat of a theme during locker clean out interviews:

Every player has mentioned something about accountability being an issue and/or really wanting the next coach to hold them accountable. Most have also mentioned that they didn’t really have a structure in place to fall back on and that’s something they need. (Duh! I think even casual fans saw that… lol).

They’re screaming for a good veteran coach.

Brind’amor would be so perfect for this team. I wish it was a more realistic possibility. 

I would think Lindy, Berube and Gallant have to be 3 of the top candidates. Maybe Sullivan if he gets fired by Pittsburgh. Maybe Boudreau or Julien too?

It’s going to be really interesting to see who the first couple/few interviews are with! I’m just glad we can actually discuss hiring one of these veteran coaches and know it’s a genuine possibility.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

This has been somewhat of a theme during locker clean out interviews:

Every player has mentioned something about accountability being an issue and/or really wanting the next coach to hold them accountable. Most have also mentioned that they didn’t really have a structure in place to fall back on and that’s something they need. (Duh! I think even casual fans saw that… lol).

They’re screaming for a good veteran coach.

Brind’amor would be so perfect for this team. I wish it was a more realistic possibility. 

I would think Lindy, Berube and Gallant have to be 3 of the top candidates. Maybe Sullivan if he gets fired by Pittsburgh. Maybe Boudreau or Julien too?

It’s going to be really interesting to see who the first couple/few interviews are with! I’m just glad we can actually discuss hiring one of these veteran coaches and know it’s a genuine possibility.

For as much as the players "loved" Donny the cleanout interviews have been pretty damning.  "Lack of accountability", "guys should have lost playing time", "lack of structure" is coming from everyone.  I wonder how much of it is directed at Skinner given two of his linemates are harping on this theme.

The players say they want accountability but we will see how much they like it.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

For as much as the players "loved" Donny the cleanout interviews have been pretty damning.  "Lack of accountability", "guys should have lost playing time", "lack of structure" is coming from everyone.  I wonder how much of it is directed at Skinner given two of his linemates are harping on this theme.

The players say they want accountability but we will see how much they like it.  

This is GREAT that the players themselves are talking about this, and Adams himself mentioned it a lot in his PC.

It's a glaring problem with this team and it needs to get fixed.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Skinner as a buyout.  IF not now, soon.

coyotes officially moving to SLC.

I never root for a team to move but this had to happen. This is the right move right now. And still gives Arizona a chance to get an NHL team back if they finally get an arena built. But you couldn’t make the coyotes play in that sub-par college arena for the next 3+ years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

coyotes officially moving to SLC.

I never root for a team to move but this had to happen. This is the right move right now. And still gives Arizona a chance to get an NHL team back if they finally get an arena built. But you couldn’t make the coyotes play in that sub-par college arena for the next 3+ years.

I am surprised Houston hasn't gotten a look. Big market and they would have an instant rivalry with the Stars. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I am surprised Houston hasn't gotten a look. Big market and they would have an instant rivalry with the Stars. 

I agree with you, but do they have an arena that is hockey ready?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Draconator said:

I agree with you, but do they have an arena that is hockey ready?

I don't know if the arena the Houston Rockets use can be used for hockey. I do know KC has an arena that can be used for hockey. Years ago, the Islanders played a preseason game there. That is another market that the NHL could look at. 

6 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I don't know if the arena the Houston Rockets use can be used for hockey. I do know KC has an arena that can be used for hockey. Years ago, the Islanders played a preseason game there. That is another market that the NHL could look at. 

Quebec City has a new arena all set for NHL hockey. That's another possibility. 

• Like (+1) 1