Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

6 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Good question.  Without Jones, no chance and they letting their best pass rusher frank Clark leave 

Buf is sooooo close. 

That Bengals game was an outlier

We played 17 other games , tough opponents and lost 3 games by a combined 8 points 

It would have been interesting to see a Bills @ Bengals matchup if the originally-scheduled game had gone the way it was angling before Hamlin's episode. In 2021 they had the Colts home game where they just entered in a fog and never emerged. The away Bengals game may have been that shakeup they needed. But with everything that transpired I don't feel they ever really got into the meat of the situation - they weren't ready.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Chaos said:

People seem to be overthinking the "perennial contender" concept.  With a 14 team playoffs, the Bills are perenial contenders as long as Josh Allen is the QB, and he is healthy.  You put him on any of about 24 rosters in the league and about the same number of coaches, and it would be shocking if his team didn't make the playoffs. 

Similarly, you put a Derek Carr clone on the Bills with this exact same roster, and the exact same coaching staff, and no one would expect them to make the playoffs this year (Frankly, many would see them as battling to stay out of the AFC east basement with the patriots).    Josh Allen having Dan Marino's career results would be horribly disappointing.  Beane needs to figure out how to get Allen to the Super Bowl.  

Beane has gotten Allen one of the top WRs in the NFL in Diggs. Just spent a 1st round pick on a promising weapon out of the slot. As much as people on this board refuse it...they have a solid #2 WR in Davis (note I said 2 NOT a 1A like Higgins that everyone wished Davis could be.) Knox is a solid target. If Allen is as great as we like to say he is....how much help does he need?

Mahomes just won a SB with JuJu, Mecole Hardman (who was out for the SB) and Toney who pulls a hammy getting out of bed in the morning. And yes, he does have Kelce, but he's akin to Diggs for them. 

The real issue isn't weapons. It's how the weapons are used. The lack of scheming guys open. Refusal to use a running game when we play half of our games in high wind, freezing temps, rain or snow. They build a modern offense to play in old school football weather and we saw what happens against the Bengals when that happens. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/29/deandre-hopkins-has-not-yet-been-officially-released/

Very Interesting!  Maybe a low draft pick from the Bills and the Cardinals taking on a huge chunk of cap would be the most beneficial for both parties.  We will find out at 16:00! 

I don’t think it’s the compensation that held this trade up. It’s his contract. It’s just not tradable. He needs to be released so a reasonable contract can be negotiated. 

49 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

a couple things

Mahomes is better than Allen. Nothin wrong with that, Mahomes is better than everyone but if he’s able to win the SB with average WRs it doesn’t mean Allen can replicate that

Secondly there are multiple ways to win in this league. Yeah, you can out scheme them but look at this staff. Dorsey is a bum and McDermott is a defensive coach, it’s just not gonna happen. 

the only chance before this window is closed is to overwealm opponents with talented weapons like Hopkins and Diggs

While I agree with there being multiple ways to win in the NFL...you kind of prove my point a bit. You can get all the shiny new toys for the offense you want. If you don't have an offensive mind to gameplan, scheme guys open and use those weapons you're spending a ton of money for nothing. 

The weapons we have now are more than capable of production at a high level. Last year there were a few issues with the offense that I believe held back Dorsey. They have been addressed in my opinion. It's sink or swim time for Mr. Dorsey for sure. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Mmkay

I think he's a low end 2. I know you and Shaw and various others judge differently. At best, he is adequate and I don't think he's consistent enough to merit that ascription. He would thrive as a third option who catches the long ball.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I think he's a low end 2. I know you and Shaw and various others judge differently. At best, he is adequate and I don't think he's consistent enough to merit that ascription. He would thrive as a third option who catches the long ball.

I think there would be a very good chance he has a monster season. If the Bills get Hopkins, then every team will have their two top corners covering him and Diggs. Davis would win most of his matchups against CB #3. It would also open everything up for everybody else as well. That is what makes Burrow and the Bengals so hard to stop with Chase, Boyd, Higgins.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I think there would be a very good chance he has a monster season. If the Bills get Hopkins, then every team will have their two top corners covering him and Diggs. Davis would win most of his matchups against CB #3. It would also open everything up for everybody else as well. That is what makes Burrow and the Bengals so hard to stop with Chase, Boyd, Higgins.

Davis problem hasn't been winning matchups.. 

1 hour ago, SUNY_amherst said:

a couple things

Mahomes is better than Allen. Nothin wrong with that, Mahomes is better than everyone but if he’s able to win the SB with average WRs it doesn’t mean Allen can replicate that

Secondly there are multiple ways to win in this league. Yeah, you can out scheme them but look at this staff. Dorsey is a bum and McDermott is a defensive coach, it’s just not gonna happen. 

the only chance before this window is closed is to overwealm opponents with talented weapons like Hopkins and Diggs

He has Travis Kelce.  A dominant TE like Kelce is every bit as effective as a WR.  

We were 3rd in the NFL in scoring with a bum?  Did we overwhelm our opponents with talented weapons?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He has Travis Kelce.  A dominant TE like Kelce is every bit as effective as a WR.  

We were 3rd in the NFL in scoring with a bum?  Did we overwhelm our opponents with talented weapons?

Oh boy!! Start the Merry-Go-Round up! 

The reply will go a little something like this!

SUNY: “Neither. It’s because Josh Allen has to constantly step up and make something out of absolutely nothing. He has no talent outside of Diggs and no help from Dorsey.” 

ROYALE: “Wait, so you’re saying Josh Allen has to carry his offense with subpar skill players and play calling? That means he’s at a disadvantage to Mahomes and it can be argued Allen is asked to do more and possibly even better.”

SUNY: “That’s not what I said. Mahomes is just a better QB. Talent and playing calling don’t matter at all!” 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Notice how the folks so quick to declare Mahoomes better then Allen because he won this last Super Bowl with skill players just a bit more talented then Allen's ignore the Chiefs MUCH BETTER offensive line.

When I look at Mahomes versus Allen there are only 2 things I can say with certainty:

1) They are both elite and among the top 3 QB's in the NFL and both will be in the HOF if they maintain this level of play for another decade.

2)  Mahomes has achieved more then Allen primarily due to significant advantages in the offensive personnel surrounding him over the last 5 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Notice how the folks so quick to declare Mahoomes better then Allen because he won this last Super Bowl with skill players just a bit more talented then Allen's ignore the Chiefs MUCH BETTER offensive line.

When I look at Mahomes versus Allen there are only 2 things I can say with certainty:

1) They are both elite and among the top 3 QB's in the NFL and both will be in the HOF if they maintain this level of play for another decade.

2)  Mahomes has achieved more then Allen primarily due to significant advantages in the offensive personnel surrounding him over the last 5 years.

And Andy Reid calling plays.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

Oh boy!! Start the Merry-Go-Round up! 

The reply will go a little something like this!

SUNY: “Neither. It’s because Josh Allen has to constantly step up and make something out of absolutely nothing. He has no talent outside of Diggs and no help from Dorsey.” 

ROYALE: “Wait, so you’re saying Josh Allen has to carry his offense with subpar skill players and play calling? That means he’s at a disadvantage to Mahomes and it can be argued Allen is better.”

SUNY: “That’s not what I said. Mahomes is just a better QB. Talent and playing calling don’t matter at all!” 

Andy Reid has Mahomes, Kelce and a dominant offensive line but can only score .8 more points per game than Dorsey without an offensive line and no outside talent outside of Diggs?  It's actually really impressive.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.