Stadium Construction Discussion (No PSL/Seat selection posts)

JÂy RÛßeÒ

5 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

We had a great team in 70's too bad we had a crap owner

Im a little too young for that. But it couldn’t happen now. Obviously 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Once you live outside of WNY you realize just how small the Buffalo area really is. Be glad you have two major sports franchises. Theres no way it could support a Major League Baseball team. No way. 

It's too bad because a Buffalo baseball team could have a great rivalry with the Blue Jays. I am guessing that WNY is Yankees territory when it comes to baseball. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

It's too bad because a Buffalo baseball team could have a great rivalry with the Blue Jays. I am guessing that WNY is Yankees territory when it comes to baseball. 

Lots of Red Socks fans too. Basically there’s 3 fans in MLB. Yankees, Sox, and everyone else. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gregg said:

It's actually more Cleveland Indians , Red Sox and reds fans 

Sure there are Yankees fans but Indians and Red Sox definitely have more

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

I hate the Yankees, but there are more Yankees fans in WNY than any other team.

Next I would say probably the Mets and Red Sox would be close to one-another.

Then comes the Blue Jays (surge lately with the affiliation and the home games in Buffalo maybe propel them into the above group with the Mets and Sox).

Then comes the Indians

Then Pirates

I have only known 1 Reds fan in all my years living here.  I know several (long time) Orioles fans.  I would say they are after the Pirates.

Edited by May Day 10

34 minutes ago, mrags said:

Lots of Red Socks fans too. Basically there’s 3 fans in MLB. Yankees, Sox, and everyone else. 

I am surprised there would be a decent number of Red Sox fans in WNY. Given the hatred for the Pats and even the Sabres and Bruins have had a decent rivalry over the years. NY and Boston don't mix sports wise.

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I am surprised there would be a decent number of Red Sox fans in WNY. Given the hatred for the Pats and even the Sabres and Bruins have had a decent rivalry over the years. NY and Boston don't mix sports wise.

I have often questioned local Yankees fans on that.  You couldn't pick a more different philosophy and experience as the Yankees vs the local Buffalo teams (I was more on this before there were several other big spenders who emerged in MLB).    

Red Sox and Boston in general were kind of endearing losers for what seemed to be destined for all eternity.  

I have always been a Cleveland fan.  I admit though, since the Guardians name change, it doesn't feel the same.  The Cleveland experience fits in well with Buffalo though.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I’ve always been a believer of Yankees fan or everyone else. But it really seems like the Red Sox have created a base for themselves 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/4/2024 at 8:25 PM, SoCal Deek said:

Once you live outside of WNY you realize just how small the Buffalo area really is. Be glad you have two major sports franchises. Theres no way it could support a Major League Baseball team. No way. 

Buffalo definitely punches above its weight with NFL and NHL teams, and even an NLL lacrosse team. For an official metro population of 1.2 million (1.7 mil maybe if you add the Canadian population near the border) it's unheard of. Then add in the lack of major corporations to buy suites.

• Simon unpinned this topic
On 4/10/2024 at 7:28 AM, Just Jack said:

The Bills posted some new photos of the construction...

https://www.buffalobills.com/photos/photos-buffalo-bills-new-stadium-construction-update

Thanks for the link! They’re definitely moving right along with the structural steel frame. It’s way more complicated than the old Rich Stadium which as we all know has a lower bowl of pretty much nothing more than concrete steps poured directly on the earthen berm. 

1 hour ago, 14774 said:

https://www.ticketnews.com/2024/04/supreme-court-may-hear-buffalo-stadium-funding-lawsuit/

I haven't seen this reported by any Buffalo news source, nor in this thread.

It is rumored Ryan Smith, owner of the Utah Jazz who just got the NHL to sell him the Arizona Coyotes, funded the groups opposing a new Coyotes arena in Tempe. So always ask who is behind actions like these.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Good thing it doesn't snow in Chicago for them to have a dome...oh wait

I think the problem people aren’t seeing with no dome is I think in 20 years or less the Bills will be the only non dome stadium in cold weather.

We will see what happens. Maybe there will be renovations in 20 years that puts a dome on it.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Did we ever get a video like this yet?

Awesome video, but I wish them luck convincing the taxpayers to foot half of the $4.6b cost. And we thought $850m was too much? Pocket change compared to $2.3b in public funding.

57 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think the problem people aren’t seeing with no dome is I think in 20 years or less the Bills will be the only non dome stadium in cold weather.

We will see what happens. Maybe there will be renovations in 20 years that puts a dome on it.

In about 20 years the Bills will be moving to some other city. Leaving us with a $1.7B stadium for UB to play in 

Just now, K-9 said:

Well, the lease for the new stadium ties them here for 30 years. So there’s that. But I haven’t read the “out” clause if there is one, so perhaps they can break it earlier. 

Pretty sure after like 10 years it’s significantly less than the $850m payback. Which imo is absolutely nothing to some rich billionaire owner. Who will likely be getting a free stadium in a new city like Austin 

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Well, the lease for the new stadium ties them here for 30 years. So there’s that. But I haven’t read the “out” clause if there is one, so perhaps they can break it earlier. 

If someone purchased the team RIGHT NOW, for the fair market value, it would only cost about ~20% more to leave. 

Twenty percent more, to leave us with a hole in the ground and an bunch of metal and concrete. 

After 15 years, the penalty to relocate reduces annually. 

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

If someone purchased the team RIGHT NOW, for the fair market value, it would only cost about ~20% more to leave. 

Twenty percent more, to leave us with a hole in the ground and an bunch of metal and concrete. 

After 15 years, the penalty to relocate reduces annually. 

So whoever the owner is in 15 years will be saying to NY state they have to put a roof on the stadium or we’re leaving.