Bills sign Latavius Murray to a one-year deal

Roundybout

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think he makes the roster this year.  His contract is set up that next season ($5.5M) could easily be in doubt to make the team.

It would make sense to use him fully as a returner this year and be looking for his replacement next season.

Murray's role for a number of years has been either splitting time or 2nd string.  He will be Harris's backup insurance.

It makes perfect sense.  He's also a very, very good pass blocker.  He hasn't been overworked for years.

He's got 57 TDs in his career and 4.2 YPC.  If that's marginal as a bruising RB, I guess you have your opinion.

I wouldn't make too much about his age, he's a 3rd string running back on this team.

He's filling these roles with a 1-year contract for cheap money to try and get a ring.  He will give the effort when called upon.

I like the signing a lot.  

I like it too - acquiring solid veteran depth - someone with some history of NFL success - is a solid signing. 

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well, yeah but.... there are limited roster positions overall.  So if you're carrying 4 RBs, you're carrying less guys somewhere else.  And we have a lot of "versatility" to find roster spots for already between Harris, Cook, Hines then in the WR room Harty, Sherfield, Shorter and maybe Shavers.

Then there's the idea that RBs hit a "wall" and their performance falls off after age 29 - Murray is 33.

I guess if we brought him in to give the room that vet presence McDermott values and help keep the young guys taking care of their bodies and film, and we plan to Duke Johnson him/he's OK with that, it makes sense.

Taiwan Jones was on the active roster and was an RB so perhaps they are making concessions somewhere

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Not bashing either of them. 

I thought Duke Johnson was Motor/Cook insurance. 

I think Murray is Harris insurance.  

edit:  and as @Motorin' pointed out-  Murray is more like Yeldon as there’s a good chance he makes the team and is just inactive - as opposed to Duke, who was a PS player.  

The lack of use of Yeldon really burned me up.  He had game.  Came out of Bama and was a 2nd round draft pick of the Jags in 2015.  He had a little burst and had good hands.  He wasn't a star, but was an NFL RB.  And after one fumble against the Pats, he almost never saw the field again.  

in the playoff loss to cinci, the fourth loss on the entire season, we got pushed around and abused w a big back blasting up the middle and efficient passing scored quickly on us.  going the other way, we had trash blocking and only one WR showed up to play and the wheels straight fell off.

now, at the end of the season, we will be able to line up Dawkins, Mcgov, morse, torrence, brown (with a healed back) and two tight ends in kinkaid and knox, and any combo of josh allen, Diggs and and other WR, and one of our now 4 backs.

I think we now have a package to pass or power run out of and dictate to the D without over committing before the snap.  we simply didn't have this arrow in the quiver last season.  after watching saffold physically give up on plays i'll take anyone on our roster who can play G over him.

we talked about how we need more blocking to get our RBs to produce, well now we have that and some new bigger RBs who can push the pile.  allen and diggs along w that is a scary sight

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Edwards has the height, weight, arm length, and all that jazz, but he’s a marginal athlete. Only put up 16 reps on the bench too, so I’m not sure he could even be more than a Quessenberry. I share your same concerns regarding tackle, both sides. Dion has above average spurts, followed by average ones. Spencer’s struggles are well documented. Someone from inside will have to kick outside. A media member asked if Torrence could play out there and Beane of course said he’d start on the inside. Wouldn’t it be great if our 2nd round pick somehow defied his athletic limitations and beat out Spencer?

E7A08C71-53E8-4A07-8CAE-3A612FAE1607.webp

Dam 16 reps in the bench for an NFL O lineman is not good.  My son did 23 reps weighing 235 pounds at his pro day, and he hadn't benched in a while because of a broken finger.  Heck when I was younger I did close to that before age and bone spurs in my left shoulder cut out the heavy lifting.  Lets hope someone steps up to play on the outside reasonably well.  What do you think of Tommy Doyle's chances to be a serviceable O lineman?

6 minutes ago, colin said:

in the playoff loss to cinci, the fourth loss on the entire season, we got pushed around and abused w a big back blasting up the middle and efficient passing scored quickly on us.  going the other way, we had trash blocking and only one WR showed up to play and the wheels straight fell off.

now, at the end of the season, we will be able to line up Dawkins, Mcgov, morse, torrence, brown (with a healed back) and two tight ends in kinkaid and knox, and any combo of josh allen, Diggs and and other WR, and one of our now 4 backs.

I think we now have a package to pass or power run out of and dictate to the D without over committing before the snap.  we simply didn't have this arrow in the quiver last season.  after watching saffold physically give up on plays i'll take anyone on our roster who can play G over him.

we talked about how we need more blocking to get our RBs to produce, well now we have that and some new bigger RBs who can push the pile.  allen and diggs along w that is a scary sight

I'm sort of holding out hope that we acquire a higher end WR. If Hopkins, Keenan Allen or someone else is cut. 

A trade for a handful of different receivers could also still be possible. With that said, Kincaid will be on the field a lot and Shorter may be impactful

Actually, with our current trend toward being much bigger on offense, Mike Evans would make sense

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

He brings nothing to the table that we don't already have.  33 years old too.  

6'3" 230lb. He's the biggest back in the room and still has some speed and juice in the tank. A crafty veteran who has been around and will help the RB room with his experience. He's insurance in case of injury and can grind out tough yards that will save wear and tear on Cook and Harris.  It's another weapon to be deployed. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'm sort of holding out hope that we acquire a higher end WR. If Hopkins, Keenan Allen or someone else is cut. 

A trade for a handful of different receivers could also still be possible. With that said, Kincaid will be on the field a lot and Shorter may be impactful

i suppose, but if they signed a real stud, who gets bumped?  i get that the marginal players we signed can all just get cut or whatever, but w RBs, TEs, and a small splash of new WR talent (better than the literal retired retreads we had last season) it looks like the entire O is better, skill positions and blocking.  

that said, would love to see hopkins come in and put us over the top.

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

I agree. I wanted Hines to get more touches. Now that's unlikely?

He's not taking away from Hines.  Hines is not your 3rd and 1, 3rd and 2 guy or even 1st and 10 run.  He'll take away touches from Harris and that's okay. Keeps guys fresh for the end of the year. 

45 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

He brings consistency, toughness, and can back up Damien Harris who has some injury history.

Also, I'm not too inclined to agree with your takes, especially when it's your 666th post. The Universe sometimes gives a signal.

So you're saying what precisely, that none of our other RBs are tough?  Or consistent?  

Just to clarify.  

6 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

6'3" 230lb. He's the biggest back in the room and still has some speed and juice in the tank. A crafty veteran who has been around and will help the RB room with his experience. He's insurance in case of injury and can grind out tough yards that will save wear and tear on Cook and Harris.  It's another weapon to be deployed. 

This 100%. A vet in a room full of young guys. He’s produced with limited opportunities in the past, he is great insurance and a great teammate. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He had 700 yards and 5TDs in 12 games last year.  I think he makes the 53.  Keep 4 RBs

Yep - he actually had 760 yds, 6 TD's in 12 games. YPC is 4.4. 132 receiving yards.

Singleton: 819yds, 5TD's, in 17 games. (Let's call it 16 games as the Bengals Hamlin game didn't really count). YPC is 4.4.  280 receiving yards.

*Murry's average receiving yards are on 11-15 yard receptions. Interesting.

31 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think he makes the roster this year.  His contract is set up that next season ($5.5M) could easily be in doubt to make the team.

It would make sense to use him fully as a returner this year and be looking for his replacement next season.

Murray's role for a number of years has been either splitting time or 2nd string.  He will be Harris's backup insurance.

It makes perfect sense.  He's also a very, very good pass blocker.  He hasn't been overworked for years.

He's got 57 TDs in his career and 4.2 YPC.  If that's marginal as a bruising RB, I guess you have your opinion.

I wouldn't make too much about his age, he's a 3rd string running back on this team.

He's filling these roles with a 1-year contract for cheap money to try and get a ring.  He will give the effort when called upon.

I like the signing a lot.  

Yes, I'm familiar with his role on other teams, but as stated, he's 33.  That's old for a RB contrary to what opinions may be otherwise.  

I'm not sure that I see us carrying 5 RBs, and again, other than for injury insurance, I'm not seeing what he adds given our offense, which already underutilizes RBs.  I still say that there's a good chance he's not even on the 53 come opening day.  

There's an awful lot of defensive posturing on this signing as if it has any significance in achieving wins.  The size of the contract says something.  

That is all.  

And BTW. 4.2 ypc is incredibly average.  FWIW  

Edited by PBF81
  • Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Dam 16 reps in the bench for an NFL O lineman is not good.  My son did 23 reps weighing 235 pounds at his pro day, and he hadn't benched in a while because of a broken finger.  Heck when I was younger I did close to that before age and bone spurs in my left shoulder cut out the heavy lifting.  Lets hope someone steps up to play on the outside reasonably well.  What do you think of Tommy Doyle's chances to be a serviceable O lineman?

Love Doyle’s athleticism. I think he needs to get stronger as well, but due to his ACL recovery it’ll likely be another year before he can really focus on strengthening his sets. I don’t know how much he’ll play as an in-line TE now that Kincaid is in the fold. Not that those two are anywhere close to similar, of course, but every snap Doyle takes as a TE means less for Knox and Kincaid and I’m not sure that excites Dorsey, other than in heavy personnel on the goal line or on 3rd/4th and 1. For the Bills sake Doyle will need to be serviceable. We don’t have much behind the starters… and we’re struggling there 😄

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

I don't think McGovern is a huge improvement, no. I think if he was so great he would start for Dallas or they would re-sign him for depth. He came here for a chance to start so we'll see. Hopefully he's better. He might be worse than what we had. Maybe Saffold just needed time to gel with the line. We'll never know.

Saffold's old, his play clearly declined from his pro-bowl years. He's not going to be the same guy at 34 that he was at 26. 

McGovern is 26, and was a top 10 rated pass blocking OG. He's not good run blocking in the power scheme there Dallas likes to employ. Luckily he's better run blocking as a pulling Guard, which we're likely to see him do a lot of.

McGovern also had 2 penalties to Saffold's 10 last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

So you're saying what precisely, that none of our other RBs are tough?  Or consistent?  

Just to clarify.  

Specifying the attributes of one player does not exclude those attributes from others. It was a quick assessment of Murray who has been a solid back for a long time. And I think folks might roughly group Cook and Hines as one kind of back. Harris looks to be a short yardage back who is the bruiser in the group. Murray could be considered someone who can step in and fill Harris' role should he be injured. I hope this sufficiently clarifies.

15 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Dorsey has to figure out how to use RBs to begin with.  

Agree tho that he's essentially an injury case signing.  As such it's fine.  It's not something that's going to improve our chances of winnning games however, again, particularly given the underutilization of our RBs as it is.  

The play of our offense is going to largely hinge upon whether Dorsey can sort out what he's doing and ensure that it fits the offensive personnel that we have.  He was not good at that last season.  Significant improvement will be required.  

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I plead ignorance here.  Jones clearly does something on special teams that they love.  Whatever that is, I think they would need someone to fill that role.  I just don't know who that is, or what that is.

Yeah I agree-  hoping shorter or maybe even Williams -  or shavers

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

Specifying the attributes of one player does not exclude those attributes from others. It was a quick assessment of Murray who has been a solid back for a long time. And I think folks might roughly group Cook and Hines as one kind of back. Harris looks to be a short yardage back who is the bruiser in the group. Murray could be considered someone who can step in and fill Harris' role should he be injured. I hope this sufficiently clarifies.

So essentially what I originally said, that he brings nothing to the table that don't already have.  Not sure why you argued that then.  

I'm in agreement with the above with the exception that I question his age, at 33, and what he has left.  That's a very typical age for RB performance to plummet.  

Thanks for clarifying.  

Just now, PBF81 said:

So essentially what I originally said, that he brings nothing to the table that don't already have.  Not sure why you argued that then.  

I'm in agreement with the above with the exception that I question his age, at 33, and what he has left.  That's a very typical age for RB performance to plummet.  

Thanks for clarifying.  

You have also confirmed and clarified initial assessments.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

The lack of use of Yeldon really burned me up.  He had game.  Came out of Bama and was a 2nd round draft pick of the Jags in 2015.  He had a little burst and had good hands.  He wasn't a star, but was an NFL RB.  And after one fumble against the Pats, he almost never saw the field again.  

Yeah I felt the same- but the nfl agreed with McD- that was the end of Yeldon nfl career

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, colin said:

A lot of assumptions here. It's really yet to be be seen how effective the oline will be. Will Brown improve? Torrance is a rookie. Kincaid offers little in the blocking department. 

Make no mistake about it the Bills are no power running team nor do they want to be. They will always live and die with Allen's arm and legs. 

Lastly, will Dorsey commit to the run? Will Harris still healthy? Will they use Hines as RB? How will Cook progress or will he regress? 

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Not to be Debbie Downer but the video was not super impressive.  With maybe one exception, I feel like Motor had the vision, power, and speed to make any of those runs.  

On the other hand, I think the new RB room of Harris, Murray, Cook, and Hines is the best group of RBs we've had since Shady was the headliner.  And I like the variety.

Disagree. He wasn't used this way but Murray is a guy who could line up deep and take the toss and attack the line of scrimmage vertically.

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Personally, I thought he looked much bigger, stronger and faster than Motor. He also does not fumble. 

100%. Even at his age he's a lot faster that Singletary and when Murray gets into the open field he gallops. Watching him play last year he has a plenty left in the tank IMO. And he gives the Bills a style of runner that they haven't had.

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Beane is on OBL right now heaping praises on him.  Leadership, film last season was impressive. Big, long arms, strong. Mentioned short yardage usage 

Yeah, they love Murray. It harkens back to the earlier days of the McBeane era where they wanted to have one veteran leader in every position group.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I think jones is the odd man out

58 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I plead ignorance here.  Jones clearly does something on special teams that they love.  Whatever that is, I think they would need someone to fill that role.  I just don't know who that is, or what that is.

Taiwan Jones is a free agent. It seems like either Sherfield, Shorter, or Shaver will take his spot. All 3 have strong track records as gunners.

39 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

But, Yeldon has not played since 2020 so it's hard to blame the Bills for his non-use.

19 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yes, I'm familiar with his role on other teams, but as stated, he's 33.  That's old for a RB contrary to what opinions may be otherwise.  

I'm not sure that I see us carrying 5 RBs, and again, other than for injury insurance, I'm not seeing what he adds given our offense, which already underutilizes RBs.  I still say that there's a good chance he's not even on the 53 come opening day.  

There's an awful lot of defensive posturing on this signing as if it has any significance in achieving wins.  The size of the contract says something.  

That is all.  

And BTW. 4.2 ypc is incredibly average.  FWIW  

Let me know if you'd like to make a wager that Murray gets regular season playing time with the Bills.

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah I felt the same- but the nfl agreed with McD- that was the end of Yeldon nfl career

Correct.

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Kincaid offers little in the blocking department. 

Compared to Knox maybe.

How about compared to Beasley or McKenzie? How about compare to Shakir or Diggs?

You understand what I'm saying.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Disagree. He wasn't used this way but Murray is a guy who could line up deep and take the toss and attack the line of scrimmage vertically.

100%. Even at his age he's a lot faster that Singletary and when Murray gets into the open field he gallops. Watching him play last year he has a plenty left in the tank IMO. And he gives the Bills a style of runner that they haven't had.

Yeah, they love Murray. It harkens back to the earlier days of the McBeane era where they wanted to have one veteran leader in every position group.

Taiwan Jones is a free agent. It seems like either Sherfield, Shorter, or Shaver will take his spot. All 3 have strong track records as gunners.

But, Yeldon has not played since 2020 so it's hard to blame the Bills for his non-use.

Let me know if you'd like to make a wager that Murray gets regular season playing time with the Bills.

Correct.

Compared to Knox maybe.

How about compared to Beasley or McKenzie? How about compare to Shakir or Diggs?

You understand what I'm saying.

Jones has been a free agent every year -  

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Murray is NOT insurance. Murray will battle with Harris for 1b behind Cook. Due is a tough runner.

We will keep all 3: Cook, Harris and Murray. LOVE IT!!!!

That's what I've assumed.   They will have those three plus Hines on the roster, maybe dress three - Cook, Hines, and one of the power guys.   Or Cook and the two power backs, with Shakir returning punts.  

I think it's clear that the Front Office is sick of seeing our offense not being able to gain a 3rd &1 or 3rd &2 on the ground, easily. We tried sooo many times last year with twinkle toes Singletary. He couldn't get an inch.

We rely on going for it on 4th down, using Allen or passing and holding our breath. This is NOT sustainable.

We now have two bigger pounding backs in Harris and Murray.

Goaline situations. 3rd and short situations are now much easier and the line should be better for it all too.

Late in teh season is when you run. Everyone did it to us. Now we can control drives.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I agree about this.   I was surprised to see him running last season.  What I saw was better than Motor.   I was happy to get Harris, because he can be an effective power back, too, but Murray can be a problem for defenses.  

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

That depends upon the definition of "regular season playing time."  Two plays each game technically qualifies.  

Otherwise, sure, offline I'd be more than happy to consider it depending that definition.  

All I said was that he won't make any significant impact.  I never said he won't play if he's on the team.  

So define that and let's talk offline.  If it works out I'll donate my winnings to charity in your name.  Would be good either way, a win-win for you.  :) 

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Yes, but in years past they weren't collecting players to replace him with... as they are this offseason.

right….. like I had in other posts.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.