Bills sign Latavius Murray to a one-year deal

Roundybout

6 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I think they usually have 5 total counting Gilliam and the PS. Speculation is Kincaid and Shavers respectively make Gilliam and Jones expendable. 

Shavers could make Jones expendable, but how would Kincaid make Gilliam expendable? 

Gordon was an absolute wreck for the Broncos last year fumbling every play, Murray stepped in and they immediately improved. Great signing, he has always been underutilized so there should be plenty of tread left.

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I hope you are not bashing Duke Johnson.  Duke could still play.  And the Bills buried him on the depth chart behind Moss Singletary and Cook.  Just like they did to TJ Yeldon when he could play as well.  

Murray is solid if not spectacular.  And a backfield of Murray Harris and Cook is excellent.  Hynes will be the kick and punt returner.  And can be an option out of the backfield in special situations.  

Not bashing either of them. 

I thought Duke Johnson was Motor/Cook insurance. 

I think Murray is Harris insurance.  

edit:  and as @Motorin' pointed out-  Murray is more like Yeldon as there’s a good chance he makes the team and is just inactive - as opposed to Duke, who was a PS player.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Baller can Edwards play RT also?  It seems odd that we have drafted a RG with a high pick, and signed two guards in Free Agency, one getting a big contract, and have two decent guards already on the roster in Bates and Boettger.  (Ike when healthy is at least fairly competent and tough if not very good) And have not signed anyone to specifically compete at RT.  (Do the Bills think that Tommy Doyle if healthy can compete w Spencer Brown for the starting job at RT?)

Edwards has the height, weight, arm length, and all that jazz, but he’s a marginal athlete. Only put up 16 reps on the bench too, so I’m not sure he could even be more than a Quessenberry. I share your same concerns regarding tackle, both sides. Dion has above average spurts, followed by average ones. Spencer’s struggles are well documented. Someone from inside will have to kick outside. A media member asked if Torrence could play out there and Beane of course said he’d start on the inside. Wouldn’t it be great if our 2nd round pick somehow defied his athletic limitations and beat out Spencer?

E7A08C71-53E8-4A07-8CAE-3A612FAE1607.webp

3 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Edwards has the height, weight, arm length, and all that jazz, but he’s a marginal athlete. Only put up 16 reps on the bench too, so I’m not sure he could even be more than a Quessenberry. I share your same concerns regarding tackle, both sides. Dion has above average spurts, followed by average ones. Spencer’s struggles are well documented. Someone from inside will have to kick outside. A media member asked if Torrence could play out there and Beane of course said he’d start on the inside. Wouldn’t it be great if our 2nd round pick somehow defied his athletic limitations and beat out Spencer?

E7A08C71-53E8-4A07-8CAE-3A612FAE1607.webp

Did he not start at Guard for the Rams SB season?

23 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I see a lot of "I bet" and "hopefully" and "it's likely" when it comes to McGovern. Yes hopefully he's better and not worse. Both are possible outcomes. Too early to say our OL is any better let alone "vastly improved" and "leaps and bounds better."

By this logic it’s too early to say that tight end has improved, because what evidence do we have that Kincaid is better than Morris?

All we have is the paper to judge and on paper the IOL is better than last year. 

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

Did he not start at Guard for the Rams SB season?

Yeah Edwards has been a guard in the league. The other poster was asking if he could kick out to tackle.

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm slow.  Don't the Bills carry four running backs in the 53?   Harris, Murray, Cook, Hines.    Or is Gilliam one of the four?   

I agree with others that Taiwan Jones, nominally a running back, is likely done, and his special teams role will be filled by others.  

For me, 

1st down backs are Cook and either Harris or Murray 

3rd down is Hines and Cook.  

I don’t see a need for both.  We couldn’t use Motor, Moss, and Cook in a good rotation. 

Also, who replaces Jones on ST?

I think it will be Cook, Hines, Jones, and then Murray or Harris.  I can’t see them keeping 5 

3 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Duke Johnson replacement?

I don't understand this at all - can someone explain it to me, using small words?

What does our running back room look like after this signing?  How are the various backs used and who is game-day active?

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Your answer is above

So your well thought out opinion is that Saffold, despite being miserable last year, is a veteran who was named to Pro Bowls in his career, which means he wasn’t miserable last year? 

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

The rookie only plays on the right side so he is the backup to Bates until we see otherwise. MCgovern may or may not be better this year than Saffold who is a multiple pro bowl veteran player, we'll see. People seem to be accepting that as a fact for some reason 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

For me, 

1st down backs are Cook and either Harris or Murray 

3rd down is Hines and Cook.  

I don’t see a need for both.  We couldn’t use Motor, Moss, and Cook in a good rotation. 

Also, who replaces Jones on ST?

I think it will be Cook, Hines, Jones, and then Murray or Harris.  I can’t see them keeping 5 

I think/hope that we’ve seen the last of jones as a bill.  I will do my best to manifest this.  Just as I manifested not drafting Mazi Smith in rd 1.

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't understand this at all - can someone explain it to me, using small words?

What does our running back room look like after this signing?  How are the various backs used and who is game-day active?

Cook - Speed, elusiveness, pass catching 
Harris - Physical, Power, Speed, Goal line

Murray - Punisher, Goal line, Close out games
Hines - Motion, Wheel routes, screens, ST

As for the down usage, I think it can really be changed up to keep defenses guessing.  I'd also expect some 2 back sets. Especially inside the 10

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

RB might be the only position group besides TE that we have improved at. Everything else is the same or worse. They really seemed to focus on getting some veteran help at that position this year.

OL is better  Safety is better.  WR's are better.  QB is better (Allen > Keenum)  CB should be better with Elam and Bedford gaining experience, Trey recovered.  
Jury is out on DL/LB.  But I think we may bring in some vets here soon.  Overall, the team looks improved. The question will be if the Jets/Dolphins improved enough to pass us.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It gives them versatility and ways to attack teams differently to expose what they are weak at. Who is active will likely be gameday specific in regards to how they plan on attacking the team.

Basically it gives the Bills a lot more options, which is what is seems lile they have been focused on doing offensively this off-season.

Bringing lots of guys in with different skills sets to give more options and ways of attacking teams.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.