Bills sign Latavius Murray to a one-year deal

Roundybout

1 minute ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

OL?  Pretty big upgraded from last year.. WR also very much improved the bottom half of that group.  Safety they also upgraded that position as a group. 

Safety I am counting our opening day roster vs this year. They added better depth with the guy from the Rams but starters the same.

WR I disagree that we have improved until proven otherwise.

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Hello? We just drafted a Guard who didn't give up a sack his entire college career and was Consensus 1st Team All American in the SEC

You have him starting over Bates? Let the kid get on the field before you say his is better than what we have. Bills traded up for Ford a few years back and everyone here loved that pick too 

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

Same question 

McGovern and Edwards are free agents who are at minimum competent. Saffold is addition by subtraction. Torrence is probably a plug-in starting guard that will be solid for a decade. Broeker is a versatile and physical olineman that has a real chance to stick as a backup. If you can't see that as improvement, you need new glasses.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Maybe they will if they view Hines as strictly special teams? Maybe they have one less WR active in that case?

Otherwise it will be Harris and Murray fighting it out for that last active spot every week.

This is what I thought from the moment we traded for him. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

McGovern and Edwards are free agents who are at minimum competent. Saffold is addition by subtraction. Torrence is probably a plug-in starting guard that will be solid for a decade. Broeker is a versatile and physical olineman that has a real chance to stick as a backup. If you can't see that as improvement, you need new glasses.

Sounds like wishful thinking

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Not even close.  Latavius is a starting caliber back. Exceptional depth signing.  Not to mention he's 6'3 230 

He's definitely the better back. I just meant in terms of being the #4 RB on the 53 who is inactive on most game days. 

But yeah, I could see him contributing much more than Yeldon or Duke Johnson ever did. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SUNY_amherst said:

It would be a good signing if they used him but I am not confident that they will

Murray is better than Harris. Harris might not make it out of St. John Fisher

I've got to disagree there. I think Harris is a better back all around. 

25 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Duke Johnson replacement?

This is a really good signing for Buffalo.  I would imagine the purpose of this is to stash him on the PS as a “break glass in case of emergency back” either due to injury or due to a RB sucking.   

I can’t see him active much on game day but given how banged up Damien Harris has been, some veteran injury insurance is not a bad move

Murray went to Onondaga Central High School (south of Syracuse and on the edge of the Finger Lakes).

He's had a pretty solid career as a second tier RB: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MurrLa00.htm

Perhaps most importantly, he's had 10 fumbles on 1,703 touches in his career, which is a very low rate. And he's only fumbled three times in his last 1,075 touches, going back to the beginning of the 2017 season (by way of comparison, Devin Singletary has fumbled 13 times on 817 total touches). That is extraordinarily low, and people should never underestimate the value of the avoiding-fumbles skill for NFL coaches. The running game is supposed to be safe.  Turnovers are OK in the passing game because the rewards are so much higher, but not in the running game where you're assuming a little over 4 yards per play on average.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 9

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.