No excuses for Ken Dorsey this year

Logic

11 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Except the starting QB injured his elbow on his throwing arm, a player temporarily died on the field of play, one of our top shelf safeties was out with a neck injury, but ya, no excuses…, 

Allen didn’t miss a snap and barely even appeared on the injury report. The rest had nothing to do with Dorsey.

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

LOL

Knox is so overrated by this board

he really doesn't do anything at a high level- can't block well, runs sloppy routes, just an average player overall

He is not a mismatch in any sense. Defenses aren't gameplanning Dawson Knox

I disagree, he does block well or above average for a tight end, knows his blocking assignments especially when the O Line miscues. Last years offensive line when he was constantly chipping and helping out.  And he is a good teammate with a positive reaction to the Kincaid pick.    I do agree, no one gameplans around him, about what you expect for a 3rd draft pick.  

7 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Unpopular opinion: they didn't use Knox in this kind of role consistently because he's a bit raw/wonky/lacks smoothness. 

otoh wasnt he the most reliable receiver on the team in terms of targets/catches?

I hate to say that Dorsey gets a "pass" for year 1, but it's not uncommon for OC's to have bumpy rookie outings and come into their own in year 2.

That's certainly the hope.  I agree w/ the OP wholeheartedly.  Honestly, this should be the #1 ranked offense in the league all season.  Dorsey has to prove himself this year.

42 minutes ago, Logic said:

Like many here, I like Dalton Kincaid the player quite a bit.

The only hesitance I have in drafting him is that I was constantly yelling at my screen last year because Dorsey wasn't effectively scheming the athletic, mismatch tight end we ALREADY have on our roster and pay big money to. I'm dubious that a guy who couldn't find a way to effectively use one tight end will suddenly know how to effectively use two. For a first round tight end who figures to be second on the depth chart to be a worthwhile use of draft capital, he needs to actually be utilized with effectiveness and frequency.

Moreover, I was and am concerned about what I perceive to be Dorsey's failure to use the offensive weapons on the Bills roster in the way that best suits their traits. We drafted James Cook and traded for Nyheim Hines largely because both are receiving threats and mismatches against linebackers -- then completely failed to deploy them in that fashion. Gabe Davis did a lot of damage his first two years from the slot, matching up against small nickel corners, safeties, and linebackers. Dorsey rarely used him as such last year. As already mentioned, Dawson Knox is an athletic mismatch in the passing game in his own right, Dorsey failed to use him as much more than a last resort outlet receiver. Now add Kincaid to the pile of guys that require a specific type of usage to be most effective.

Going into 2023, with a formidable duo of tight ends, two speedy receiving backs, a top five WR, a big-bodied WR with excellent career touchdown production, and even new, speedy additions in Harty and Sherfield -- not to mention whoever the Bills add throughout the rest of draft weekend -- there will no longer be any excuses or training wheels for Ken Dorsey, in my opinion. "Not enough weapons" will no longer be a viable excuse.

If Dorsey can't scheme up a consistently effective offense that consistently makes use of guys like Cook, Knox, and Kincaid, he should be shown the door at the end of the year, in my opinion. There will be no shortage of brilliant offensive minds champing at the bit to work with Josh Allen and co if Dorsey can't cut it. 

Go outside for a bit.  It is not even summer, barely spring.  You may have a heart attack by then with your anxiety 

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The last paragraph was all you needed to type to make your point, 😁

Yes Dorsey needs to have better play designs so that one play helps support the next play etc etc, I’m going with KD being better with a season of being an OC behind him, 🤞

It will help his play design quite a bit when a guy in the slot can actually get open.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Logic said:

The only hesitance I have in drafting him is that I was constantly yelling at my screen last year because Dorsey wasn't effectively scheming the athletic, mismatch tight end we ALREADY have on our roster and pay big money to. I'm dubious that a guy who couldn't find a way to effectively use one tight end will suddenly know how to effectively use two. For a first round tight end who figures to be second on the depth chart to be a worthwhile use of draft capital, he needs to actually be utilized with effectiveness and frequency.

Moreover, I was and am concerned about what I perceive to be Dorsey's failure to use the offensive weapons on the Bills roster in the way that best suits their traits. We drafted James Cook and traded for Nyheim Hines largely because both are receiving threats and mismatches against linebackers -- then completely failed to deploy them in that fashion. Gabe Davis did a lot of damage his first two years from the slot, matching up against small nickel corners, safeties, and linebackers. Dorsey rarely used him as such last year. As already mentioned, Dawson Knox is an athletic mismatch in the passing game in his own right, Dorsey failed to use him as much more than a last resort outlet receiver. Now add Kincaid to the pile of guys that require a specific type of usage to be most effective.

Going into 2023, with a formidable duo of tight ends, two speedy receiving backs, a top five WR, a big-bodied WR with excellent career touchdown production, and even new, speedy additions in Harty and Sherfield -- not to mention whoever the Bills add throughout the rest of draft weekend -- there will no longer be any excuses or training wheels for Ken Dorsey, in my opinion. "Not enough weapons" will no longer be a viable excuse.

If Dorsey can't scheme up a consistently effective offense that consistently makes use of guys like Cook, Knox, and Kincaid, he should be shown the door at the end of the year, in my opinion. There will be no shortage of brilliant offensive minds champing at the bit to work with Josh Allen and co if Dorsey can't cut it. 

You are 100% correct.  People in this forum have said “Super Bowl or Bust” and that McBeane is on the hot seat.  That is not reality.

What is reality is that Ken Dorsey’s job is likely on the line next season.  By making the Kincaid selection, they essentially doubled down on him.  

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Logic said:

Spot on

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.