77 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Bills take at #27 

• Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee
    • Steve Avila, OG, TCU
    • O'Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida
    • Jack Campbell, MLB, Iowa
    • Drew Sanders, MLB, Arkansas

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/19/2023 at 02:00 AM

Just now, Dr. Who said:

But it's our pick. Nobody is going to stop you. Just walk up in a dignified fashion.

Given what is available, it should easily be Wright.

I think OBD would be thrilled with this result

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Going OT in the first round means Spencer Brown is done and I don’t think they want to give up on him. 

So I’m looking at DT or Edge.  

Mazi Smith or Felix.   

But I’d trade back.  

It 100% does not mean he’s done. It means that they’re looking towards the future of their oline with a lot of guys nearing the end of their contracts and they’re getting a versatile offensive lineman regardless of what some pundits say he can play multiple positions and can develop into a left tackle. 

Edited by NeverOutNick
Driving
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Going OT in the first round means Spencer Brown is done and I don’t think they want to give up on him. 

Mazi Smith or Felix.   

But I’d trade back.  

Have you seen spencer Brown play? He’s terrible.  

I agree that Beane feels as you say.  It’s just a massive mistake imo.  If wright is there @ 27 and we pass on him…..Heart Attack Fred Sanford GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Have you seen spencer Brown play? He’s terrible.  

I agree that Beane feels as you say.  It’s just a massive mistake imo.  If wright is there @ 27 and we pass on him…..Heart Attack Fred Sanford GIF by MOODMAN

Yea look that’s it.  I’m fine with it I just don’t think they do it.  

Just now, Big Blitz said:

Yea look that’s it.  I’m fine with it I just don’t think they do it.  

Maybe I’m confused as to what this draft is.   I thought it was to get a consensus of what we would do rather than what we think the Bills (teams we represent) would do.  That’s how I’ve always conducted it, but I could be wrong,

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Mazi Smith or Felix.   

But I’d trade back.  

Why would he be done? David Quessenberry is our swing tackle right now, Brown would immediately take that spot.

The guy played 8 on 8 HS football. Didn’t play at all his redshirt junior year and declared for the draft early. It would likely be good for a former third round pick who hadn’t played a lot of football to be a backup for a bit, get his body right, and work on his technique as a tackle. As we have seen, he may not be ready quite yet to be a good tackle in the league.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Maybe I’m confused as to what this draft is.   I thought it was to get a consensus of what we would do rather than what we think the Bills (teams we represent) would do.  That’s how I’ve always conducted it, but I could be wrong,

Maybe both - I’m drafting what I would do if I’m GM.  

I was just opining about getting to 27 and this is what the team is faced with.  

I think I’d go Guard before tackle.  I think I still like Brown ….. that’s probably right.  I think higher of him then most.  I do believe he was probably never healthy last season.  

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Wright all day.  

Not that it matters, but I think Simpson should be on the list if the other 2 LBs are.  I think he’s the best of the 3  

I had to draw the line somewhere.  I've always used ESPN grades.  90 and higher is first round.  I did 87 and up for this.  

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I think I’d go Guard before tackle.  I think I still like Brown ….. that’s probably right.  I think higher of him then most.  I do believe he was probably never healthy last season.  

Why do you like Brown?  I don’t understand 

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I had to draw the line somewhere.  I've always used ESPN grades.  90 and higher is first round.  I did 87 and up for this.  

🤷🏻‍♂️ 

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

Naturally, everyone has to deliberate and make their own decisions. I am skeptical about Brown, but I haven't written him off. He might vindicate Beane's best case scenario, but if you're wrong there it damages the coherence of the entire line in a big way. If Wright is available, I'd much rather have a contingency plan ready to deploy if they are wrong about Brown. 

I think people are overrating Wright. This isn't an elite prospect, like most OL prospects he will likely need some time to adjust his level of play to the pros. So I just don't know what the plan with him is. He plays a non-premium position and like the RT we already have on the roster his foot speed is a concern.

This list of players is probably worst case scenario for the Bills. I would take Jack Campbell and know that I have a plug and play starter with athletic upside at the one position where we still have a glaring hole. I think that's what the Bills would do in this scenario if they couldn't find a trade down partner.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I think people are overrating Wright. This isn't an elite prospect, like most OL prospects he will likely need some time to adjust his level of play to the pros. So I just don't know what the plan with him is. He plays a non-premium position and like the RT we already have on the roster his foot speed is a concern.

This list of players is probably worst case scenario for the Bills. I would take Jack Campbell and know that I have a plug and play starter with athletic upside at the one position where we still have a glaring hole. I think that's what the Bills would do in this scenario if they couldn't find a trade down partner.

I think you are overrating Jack Campbell. I know a lot folks feel the same as you about him.

If the mock played out anything like this, I am working a trade up for Dalton Kincaid.

This one is more interesting than the first mock. And if I’m doing the math correctly we are only at 27 and there’s already just ONE player left with a first round rating? Seems to me that ship has sailed then. Take the player at a position of most need and cross your fingers. Based on the list in the poll there are plenty of players to choose from and your chances of picking the ‘right’ one are about as good at throwing a dart on a board, blindfolded.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

This one is more interesting than the first mock. And if I’m doing the math correctly we are only at 27 and there’s already just ONE player left with a first round rating? Seems to me that ship has sailed then. Take the player at a position of most need and cross your fingers. Based on the list in the poll there are plenty of players to choose from and your chances of picking the ‘right’ one are about as good at throwing a dart on a board, blindfolded.

This is what Kiper did in the ESPN mock posted today. No 1st rounders left at 27 so he went "open starter spot need" with Simpson as one of the only places on the roster a rookie could play right away.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

This is what Kiper did in the ESPN mock posted today. No 1st rounders left at 27 so he went "open starter spot need" with Simpson as one of the only places on the roster a rookie could play right away.

I may be wrong but I’ve always figured an Offensive Guard should be able to start right away and would certainly be an every down guy. I’d love to get a couple of young guards who’d cheaply anchor the middle of the line for the remainder of Josh’s contract. It’s not flashy but it’s a solid investment. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I think you are overrating Jack Campbell.

I believe he's a player that would normally go in the top 10 of the 2nd round, but could get pushed to the end of the 1st round because it's a weak class.

If Jalin Hyatt was on the board I might take him over Campbell but that's not an option here.

Personally I'm crossing my fingers we do something like Campbell or Mazi Smith in the 1st round, then immediately announce a trade for DeAndre Hopkins.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The game has changed to a much more pass happy league, I don’t particularly like seeing RT “Is not a premium position”.

Thats archaic to me. 

Oline is critical in todays NFL. We need to protect the franchise 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I believe he's a player that would normally go in the top 10 of the 2nd round, but could get pushed to the end of the 1st round because it's a weak class.

If Jalin Hyatt was on the board I might take him over Campbell but that's not an option here.

Personally I'm crossing my fingers we do something like Campbell or Mazi Smith in the 1st round, then immediately announce a trade for DeAndre Hopkins.

I like Mazi Smith better than Campbell. Some fella was speculating Oliver might get traded to clear up cap room to facilitate adding Hopkins. If that happens, I think Smith becomes a real possibility. I am not desperate about MLB, so those who are will think my priorities are out of whack. (In this respect I am somewhat like those irritating folks who are content with Gabe Davis, only on the other side of the ball.) I'd be willing to sign a vet FA stop gap like Myles Jack after the draft and see if Spector is up to the job. I also suspect there is a scheme change that may alter how we employ the position.

If the Hopkins scenario plays out the way you speculate and they go Smith in the first, I prefer Darnell Washington and Matthew Bergeron as second round targets. I'd trade up for Washington.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, DJB said:

The game has changed to a much more pass happy league, I don’t particularly like seeing RT “Is not a premium position”.

Thats archaic to me. 

Oline is critical in todays NFL. We need to protect the franchise 

Exactly.  The Eagles and Chiefs had two of the best offensive lines in the league last year.  It made their QB's, RB's, and WR's better.  

I've said it before, overhaul the Offensive line and watch the rest of our current skill players get better.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.