Mac Jones being shopped?

HappyDays

17 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Oh man I think that would be hilarious. I can’t think of two more different personalities trying to get along 

I think he would fall in line (at least for a few years) to a guy like BB. I also think BB is so researched on the game. We would likely end up seeing all sorts of player groupings. I mean he studied the wing T and single wing. Having said this, Baltimore knows what he is and isn’t better than anybody. If they’re willing to deal him to the Patriots I think it has an air of Drew Bledsoe to it. Nobody is trading a threat to a competitor. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Chris Brown and Tasker were talking about this on One Bills Live.  They said Belichick has only a small circle of coaches that he trusts...due to all the "things they know" about all that has gone on in the franchise.  That's why he didn't bring a legitimate OC in after Josh McDaniels left for Vegas.  The "circle of trust" is very small.

Very interesting.  I don't doubt that it's true there's a small "circle of trust" - but there are a couple of points. 

One is that the 2021 Patriots already had 9 offensive assistants on the payroll, already in the building.  None of them had been developed to a point where they could take over? 

The other is, why is this a concern?  Is that stuff still going on?

I think Belichick had an attack of hubris and wanted to give his former DC and ST coaches a chance to build their resumes coaching offense.

Andy Reid did something similar (which worked similarly poorly) at DC after he fired McDermott.  He promoted Juan Castillo from OL coach to DC.  How hard could it be?

21 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Didn't this happen back in November/December?

I think Chris Simms reported on it back in Nov/December, but it reportedly happened early in the year when Mac was desperately trying to make it work.

It kind of sheds new light on the whole weird sequence where Jones came back from a high ankle after only 3 weeks, started, but only played 1/3 of the game before being taken out for Bailey Zappe.

Any questions Belicheck was asked about it, he acted as though it left an awful taste in his mouth.

If you surf the Patriots boards you will not believe how much they think this guy is worth...

I have seen it all

Young, big, former pro bowl player

Coached up by Belchick

Yeah, yeah,  certainly a #1

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

If you surf the Patriots boards you will not believe how much they think this guy is worth...

I have seen it all

Coached up by Belchick

Painful enough to surf this board, why you would go to Pats land is beyond human tolerance.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

Yesterday afternoon I was listening to Sirius XM NFL radio when they were interviewing a Patriots beat reporter about this issue and the Kraft / Bellicheat / Mac Jones (and more) relationships. It was pure pleasure to listen to. One of the points brought up were that almost no coach would have an issue with a young player talking to his college coaches to get some advice / help, but to the Cheater this was a major transgression. They also discussed all of the issues Kraft has had lately with Bellicheat. The fact that Kraft allowed him to talk him into giving Brady a one year deal when Kraft and Brady had basically agreed on two years; then Brady leaves after the year and wins a Super Bowl. That didn't go over well with Kraft. Allowing Bellicheat to go without a "real" OC last year with horrible results. And of course, recent draft issues. He basically was saying that Kraft is about ready to move on if this is another down year but not sure how it would play out specifically because Cheater wants to break Shula's win record. He's 18 total behind Shula now (includes playoffs) so it will mean two or three more seasons. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Very interesting.  I don't doubt that it's true there's a small "circle of trust" - but there are a couple of points. 

One is that the 2021 Patriots already had 9 offensive assistants on the payroll, already in the building.  None of them had been developed to a point where they could take over? 

The other is, why is this a concern?  Is that stuff still going on?

I think Belichick had an attack of hubris and wanted to give his former DC and ST coaches a chance to build their resumes coaching offense.

Andy Reid did something similar (which worked similarly poorly) at DC after he fired McDermott.  He promoted Juan Castillo from OL coach to DC.  How hard could it be?

I'm not sure they raised it as a concern, as much as an observation that you rarely see the Pats bring coordinators in from other NFL teams.  They operate with a limited scope.  Your points are all well taken, though.  I wasn't aware Reid had replaced McDermott with Castillo.  Wasn't Castillo oline coach for the Bills under McD for a bit?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I have seen it all

Coached up by Belchick

Delusional fans on a message board???Shocked Oh No GIF by Yêu Lu

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Painful enough to surf this boar, why you would go to Pats land is beyond human tolerance.

pig lol GIF by Chipotle Mexican Grill

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

He basically was saying that Kraft is about ready to move on if this is another down year but not sure how it would play out specifically because Cheater wants to break Shula's win record. He's 18 total behind Shula now (includes playoffs) so it will mean two or three more seasons. 

Or maybe four if Mac Jones stays :) 

• Haha (+1) 4

2 hours ago, jkeerie said:

I'm not sure they raised it as a concern, as much as an observation that you rarely see the Pats bring coordinators in from other NFL teams.  They operate with a limited scope.  Your points are all well taken, though.  I wasn't aware Reid had replaced McDermott with Castillo.  Wasn't Castillo oline coach for the Bills under McD for a bit?

Yes, Castillo was OL coach for the Bills  2 years, 2017 & 2018

I don’t think replacing McDermott with Castillo was exactly Andy’s Finest Hour

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I have seen it all

Coached up by Belchick

That's so dumb, he's only a pro bowl player because Josh who was himself an alternate, which was BS, opted out. So Mac is less of a Pro Bowl QB and more of an alternates alternate.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

That's so dumb, he's only a pro bowl player because Josh who was himself an alternate, which was BS, opted out. So Mac is less of a Pro Bowl QB and more of an alternates alternate.

Tyler Huntley made the Pro Bowl this year also. He threw for 658 yards, 2 tds and 3 ints on the year. That's embarrassing to both him and the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Belichick is not trying to contain the rumor.  The patsies just brought in Will Levis for a pre-draft visit. levis is projected to go in the top 14 or so.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/20/will-levis-visited-patriots-wednesday/

Here is Mac's reaction when he found out Levi's was in the building

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

JObRunB.png

I need to whistle the 'Arrested Development-Sad Walk' tune while viewing this. 😁

EDIT: DrDawkenstein, you need to copyright this, and put it on a T-shirt.  I'm XL.  Take my money. 😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.