Like many here, Jim Kelly says JA can’t do it all. Here’s his solution

BillsFan619

Thank you Jim Kelly!! Jumping ahead of the Chargers for Bijan Robinson would probably cost a 4th round pick. Even if it's a third, Bijan is not just a RB in the mold of a Saquon Barkley, Bijan is an outstanding receiver. Not to mention one of 14 players with a true 1st round grade. 

An RB is only as good as his OL.  The thing to take some load off JA is if someone is OPEN on every pass play - which is where a tall, athletic TE would fit as an option to the slot receiver.  Proven blue print and the Bills do not yet have it.  

Edited by jethro_tull

Kelly's comments were off the cuff.  Although he did use the words "star running back," he also said that they need to "get the running game going" and that "Singletary was pretty good and they probably didn't use him enough."  So my interpretation of Kelly's point was more along the lines that a good running game would take some of the pressure and workload off of Allen and less about the Bills needing to go out and draft a RB in the first round or trading assets for a big name RB.  Who knows, maybe with a better offensive line, Cook could be a "star running back."

While it's true that there was less passing in Kelly's era than their is today, his point is still valid.  Having the ability to effectively run the ball is still highly benefical to a QB.

In my opinion, a star RB or a great WR#2 are both nice to have, but it's far more important to have a strong OL.  With a strong OL, there are holes opened up for the RBs to run through and the QB has more time to find an open receiver AND the receivers have more time to let routes develop and get open.  All of the skill players are more successful with a strong OL.

3 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

You don't take RBs in the first round unless they're seen as a generational talent and even then, there's still not full agreement.

There's one of those in this draft who will most likely not be there when we pick.  

It's better to focus on players that have a much better chance to be.

I did not mention a single word about drafting a running back in the first round. I think you need a decent run game, which can be accomplished with a good running back, there’s no need to be taking one in the first round.

4 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I did not mention a single word about drafting a running back in the first round. I think you need a decent run game, which can be accomplished with a good running back, there’s no need to be taking one in the first round.

I know you didn't.  I was just expanding on what you said because there are many here who think we should take a RB first round.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Kelly's comments were off the cuff.  Although he did use the words "star running back," he also said that they need to "get the running game going" and that "Singletary was pretty good and they probably didn't use him enough."  So my interpretation of Kelly's point was more along the lines that a good running game would take some of the pressure and workload off of Allen and less about the Bills needing to go out and draft a RB in the first round or trading assets for a big name RB.  Who knows, maybe with a better offensive line, Cook could be a "star running back."

While it's true that there was less passing in Kelly's era than their is today, his point is still valid.  Having the ability to effectively run the ball is still highly benefical to a QB.

In my opinion, a star RB or a great WR#2 are both nice to have, but it's far more important to have a strong OL.  With a strong OL, there are holes opened up for the RBs to run through and the QB has more time to find an open receiver AND the receivers have more time to let routes develop and get open.  All of the skill players are more successful with a strong OL.

Our running attack will improve as soon as our OL is upgraded. You don’t gather up RB's first and worry about OL later.  Unfortunately that's exactly the strategy McB have irresponsibly practiced.  McGovern & Edwards is a good start but there's more work (RT) to do.  We could luck out and find a dynamic udfa rb.  It's not out of the realm.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Our running attack will improve as soon as our OL is upgraded. You don’t gather up RB's first and worry about OL later.  Unfortunately that's exactly the strategy McB have irresponsibly practiced.  McGovern & Edwards is a good start but there's more work (RT) to do.  We could luck out and find a dynamic udfa rb.  It's not out of the realm.

I really think our rb room right now is pretty damn good. Fix the oline and most of the problems go away.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Fix the OL and add more receiving weapons. This idea that we need a star RB, as if you can just go to the store and get one, in order to win a SB is stupid. I don’t care that it’s Jim Kelly saying it, it’s dumb. 

How can anyone watch our recent playoff failures and conclude that not having a star RB was our downfall

I agree with fixing the OL, Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas had some pretty solid guys on their offensive lines.

3 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Drafting in FIRST round has strategic cap value. For up to five yrs, your kid is locked at low cost, high value. GM must hit on the first round to help the next 5 yrs. Picking 32 vs 33 is huge. Does RB fit this 1-32 situation? I tend to think not. 

Good concept but this regime is not going to be around 4 years from now. They need to win now. 

10 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Jimbo as you can see from my avatar is a hero for a lot of us, but that was a different league and different rules.

We need a stud #2 WR.  if we get Hopkins on draft day another TE should be a top priority as we’re surrounding JA17 Super Allen a plethora of weapons like what KC and Cincy have done.

A1st RD RB is a mistake.  They know it as well.

Lastly, better G’s is important to make to the running game work where it’s not Allen.

I understand that it is not required to have a star running back. But you have to run the ball effectively in the playoffs to win the Superbowl.  

In the Bengals playoffs, while Burrow set up the game with TDs on the first two drives, it was their running game behind Mixon and Perrine that stiffled us from getting back into the game.   They together put up 140+ yards and a TD. 

Star RB adds a different dimension to the attack, IMO. They already have a star WR in Diggs and Knox, Davis, Shakir, are plenty capable. All else being equal, I would rather have star RB who can take it to the house from anywhere or set the tone in a physical way.

5 hours ago, Pirate Angel said:

No love for Don Bebee?

Touché! Absolutely 👍🏻. Good call.  “Steeler Killer” showed you everything you needed to know about his guts when he first ran a route then doubled all the way back to complete the forced fumble play at the goal line against Dallas in SB XXVII…legendary heart. 

When is the last time a team won a Super Bowl with a star RB? Or even made it to the Super Bowl with one? Gurley is the guy that most recently comes to mind and that was back in 2018. I wouldn't say you need a start RB, but you do need a running game and even more importantly, you need to throw the ball to the Rb's. The dude with 7 rings lived off of dumping the ball off to the RB's. Mahomes dumps the ball off to the backs at a far higher rate than the Bills and Allen do. Our RB's need to be combing for at least 110+ receptions. Including Gilliam they only had 79 receptions in 16 games. 

7 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Our oline is built with an emphasis on pass pro.  

You thus need an elite RB.  

Average run blocking lines aren’t making any RB better - I can argue Harris the player is downgraded coming here.  

He isn’t elite but behind the NE line he was good.  

Here?  No idea.  

The flip side is that the elite QB is supposed to open up space for the RB. Maybe the problem is that Josh himself runs too much? So even though he can threaten defenses with his arm teams are still staying close to the line to keep him from using his legs. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.