Like many here, Jim Kelly says JA can’t do it all. Here’s his solution

BillsFan619

4 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Jim Kelly wants a RB to help QB Josh Allen. Since the 49ers signed CmC. Another RB that would be a monster for Buffalo would be Austin Ekeler. 

3rd round pick?

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/writer-believes-afc-contender-will-pry-austin-ekeler-from-chargers-for-3rd-round-pick-ns2002

Still, build a better line!

He wants money and the bills are not going to pay him

12 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Was Kelly even aware that Bills had signed Harris? No offense to Jim but he hasnt played in over 25 years and the game is different. Look at recent playoff teams; how many had a "star running back"?

Biggest difference is the OL. Kelly had a very good one vs the one Allen has which blows. It's no contest. This Bills team is built to pass. The Kelly led Bills teams could run and throw equally well. Kelly did admit that they wanted to establish the run first with Thomas. When that happened then the passing game opened up.

On 4/3/2023 at 8:35 AM, Gregg said:

It's possible that losing Daboll hurt Allen's game more than we thought. Who knows.

No, you don't have to worry about that. They've probably been put on notice which is why McD wants hands on now. Allen makes coaches look good, so much there's no running game unless he's running over linebackers 

53 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Was Kelly even aware that Bills had signed Harris? No offense to Jim but he hasnt played in over 25 years and the game is different. Look at recent playoff teams; how many had a "star running back"?

As much as we all want a better running attack,  Jim's argument needs to be centered more around the OL.  Everything would open up with a quality OL. More time and protection allows Diggs & Co  more time to get open.  It would allow Knox to actually catch balls. And yes eventually a spread offense would open up running seams for Cook & Harris.  Jim hoping for an expensive Thurman type is the wrong strategy and not the priority. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 1onemangang7 said:

I have hope for Harris, but that's probably all it is in reality.  From the Parcells tree that believes in running, unlike a lot of fantasy era fans, Bellichick thought enough of him, but then let him go to a rival for 1.7? 

Well he's gonna have a legitimate shot at one of the top 2.....

I think the Bills are close to shutting the door on the RBs room. Harris should give them the more physical back they needed. And to me he is more than just a short yardage back. As for Cook it looks to me like the Bills got exactly what they were looking for when they drafted him. I expect him to have a good 2023. The Bills should look to add a late round or priority undrafted runner for depth. This years class is good so they have a chance to get one who can play. Pacheco was a 7th rounder. The guys they have are good enough to run very effectively if the blocking improves and they can stay healthy. That should now be the priority.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He wants money and the bills are not going to pay him

The guy is underpaid for what he has done in the last few seasons. 20TDs and 1600 all-purpose yards for 6.25 million. CMC is getting 16 mill per, and Kamara is getting 15 mill per. 

84.3 catch percentage, 107 receptions for 722 yards, 5 TDs. Rushing 204 attempts for 915 yards, 13 TDs. 

Imagine not needing Allen to throw his body all over trying to get yards, TDs. Talk about adding a RB that would put the fear of god in DC's. A 3rd rounder and find a way to pay him. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chargers/2023/03/21/austin-ekeler-chargers-trade-request-new-contract/11513735002/

34 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I think the Bills are close to shutting the door on the RBs room. Harris should give them the more physical back they needed. And to me he is more than just a short yardage back. As for Cook it looks to me like the Bills got exactly what they were looking for when they drafted him. I expect him to have a good 2023. The Bills should look to add a late round or priority undrafted runner for depth. This years class is good so they have a chance to get one who can play. Pacheco was a 7th rounder. The guys they have are good enough to run very effectively if the blocking improves and they can stay healthy. That should now be the priority.

I feel like I am agreeing with US Grant every time I respond to your posts. (An underrated president, imo, and an incredibly gifted natural field general.)

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

Kelly played with a good OC, OLine, TEs, and pretty good defenders. It was good fortune of everything coming together, not just one great player at one position.

And, importantly, it was before the salary cap and FA as we know it today.

48 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

And, I think, with better pass protection from the OL, we could see Cook deployed in the passing game - that is what I really think they drafted him for.

20 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I feel like I am agreeing with US Grant every time I respond to your posts. (An underrated president, imo, and an incredibly gifted natural field general.)

I would never disagree with US Grant myself. Washington, Lincoln and Grant. That’s some backfield. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 5:26 AM, Nihilarian said:

Believe it or not, the 2022 Buffalo Bills were #2 overall in rushing yards per attempt...while being 15th in rushing attempts per game. Probably because of QB Josh Allen.

This is actually a good point….I’d like to know how our RB yards/attempt rank without Allen’s runs included. That’s a more telling picture of the running game. 

41 minutes ago, nikuman said:

This is actually a good point….I’d like to know how our RB yards/attempt rank without Allen’s runs included. That’s a more telling picture of the running game. 

1470 yards on 304 carries for 4.83 ypc.   that YPC would have been 4th in league 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.