I Need Help! Computer Scam/Hack!

Mark Vader

Hi everyone,

I believe that I have set myself up to a hacking scam.

I was contacted by someone who claimed that they had reports that my computer had been hacked.

My computer's security system was outdated and I believed them.

They said they could install a "Network Firewall Security" system to protect my computer.

I paid for this system and it appears to have worked.

However, a couple of times my computer has gone to a blue screen with a message stating that "Security Measures are being applied to your computer".

I then see my mouse cursor moving on it's own. Then I find out that someone has tried to purchase Amazon merchandise from my debit card.

Thankfully the bank prevented the purchases and I was able to cancel my debit card.

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone here?

If so, please give me some advice on what to do.

Thank you.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

This is why I only use a chromebook now... hope it works out for the best.

Also, I never buy anything online. Used to do eBay way back but that was it... over 20 years ago.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Hi everyone,

I believe that I have set myself up to a hacking scam.

I was contacted by someone who claimed that they had reports that my computer had been hacked.

My computer's security system was outdated and I believed them.

They said they could install a "Network Firewall Security" system to protect my computer.

I paid for this system and it appears to have worked.

However, a couple of times my computer has gone to a blue screen with a message stating that "Security Measures are being applied to your computer".

I then see my mouse cursor moving on it's own. Then I find out that someone has tried to purchase Amazon merchandise from my debit card.

Thankfully the bank prevented the purchases and I was able to cancel my debit card.

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone here?

If so, please give me some advice on what to do.

Thank you.

First, yes, you definitely got scammed and hacked. Just establishing that as fact so there is no doubt later on and you can proceed accordingly.

It's been a while since I used a Windows computer, but I would start here: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download

Download and run that. Preferably, run it while disconnected from the internet. If you have another machine you can use, I'd disconnect this one from the internet indefinitely. If not, just unplug ethernet and/or turn off wifi as much as you can until you get it scanned and fixed.

You'll want to backup any important docs or data.

You'll likely need to wipe the entire machine and start from scratch because who knows what else they installed. Key loggers that track every single thing you type, for example. Passwords included. So time to change your passwords (not from this machine).

That's all I have for now. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Mark, you live in Silicon Va;;ey and should have known better and switched to a Mac years ago😀.  Go to the spaceship (Mac HQ for those who don't live there) and buy one. I have used a Mac since 1985 and have had only one virus in almost 40 years.  That one was via an acoustic modem ( where you dialed up and put the phone handset in the modem cradle  after the screeching started).All it did was change the file type on one file to a .doc.

59 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Mark, you live in Silicon Va;;ey and should have known better and switched to a Mac years ago😀.  Go to the spaceship (Mac HQ for those who don't live there) and buy one. I have used a Mac since 1985 and have had only one virus in almost 40 years.  That one was via an acoustic modem ( where you dialed up and put the phone handset in the modem cradle  after the screeching started).All it did was change the file type on one file to a .doc.

A Mac isn't really going to protect you from letting someone onto your computer to install whatever they want.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

First, yes, you definitely got scammed and hacked. Just establishing that as fact so there is no doubt later on and you can proceed accordingly.

It's been a while since I used a Windows computer, but I would start here: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download

Download and run that. Preferably, run it while disconnected from the internet. If you have another machine you can use, I'd disconnect this one from the internet indefinitely. If not, just unplug ethernet and/or turn off wifi as much as you can until you get it scanned and fixed.

You'll likely need to wipe the entire machine and start from scratch because who knows what else they installed. Key loggers that track every single thing you type, for example. Passwords included. So time to change your passwords (not from this machine).

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

26 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Good luck.

As a PSA I'll share a story I heard today as this was a new one to me.

A co-worker had his personal email address hacked. They set up a rule to auto-forward all his emails to their own account. Then they went to online sites that had his credit card stored, changed the email address and started making purchases.  His first tip-off to the issue was when he realized he hadn't gotten emails to the account for a day or so.  A lingering problem he was still dealing with was convincing companies he was the one that was hacked since he could no longer confirm through email. Insidious.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

A Mac isn't really going to protect you from letting someone onto your computer to install whatever they want.

I have NEVER used any antivirus software. You have to personally OK installation of programs in the root level on a Mac. 

If they are controlling your computer, my guess is they have a portal or some type of VPN installed to access your computer in addition to any malware. You will need a professional to scrub and set your computer back to itss default. There are technical terms for this process but it's above my pay grade.

Good luck.

• Thank you (+1) 1

My concern is they installed a program that may not be picked up by standard virus or malware programs.  I would update your virus protection and run a full scan.  I’d then grab a free one and do the same to check twice (I’ve had different results with different anti virus programs), run malewarebytes (great program).  You could look through installed programs and see if there is anything you don’t recognize, but I’d guess they hide it pretty well.  There is probably some key loggers and such, but it seems like they have installed a back door into your computer that may not be seen by antivirus/maleware programs.  Hope I’m wrong.

You most likely will need to wipe the computer, stop all cards - especially those used on this computer, change all passwords - especially banks.  I would also change the prompts that verify you , ie: “what was your first car” with those banks.  Change anything and everything you used since this happened.  Invest in LifeLock.

Hopefully you have a recent backup of the computer.  If not, you should get an external hard drive and manually transfer important files to it. Do this while the computer is not connected to the internet or any network.  I would hope this would limit the ability for any malicious software to infect the external drive.  If it is able to infect the external drive, it should be able to be seen by antivirus, etc. 

I know I don’t do a good job myself, but this is why constant backups are important. Importantly, there is no service that tracks if your computer has malicious software on it, no company that will cold call you to help fix your “problem”.  Many, many people have unfortunately fallen victim to these scams.  Having up to date antivirus and anti-malware on your computer, even if it is a Mac.  I have been exclusively Mac since early 2000’s and have had a few viruses, they are not immune but far less susceptible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

What Dawkinstein said and @davefan66 as well, and no, running out to buy an Apple won't solve some of your problems.

You need to isolate your computer from the internet and disinfect it.  Depending upon how good the hackers were, and how good you are, this may be a job for professionals.  My SIL had good luck with Geek Squad.  If the computer is old enough that you might consider replacement anyway, replace it.

You also need to change ALL your passwords, especially passwords to banks, ASAP.  Also change your security questions.  Don't give the same answers to the new ones.  Make up *****.  "Where did you meet your wife?" "Tattooine" "What was your first car?" "Austin Martin" that kind of thing.  Invest in a good secure password program and keep track of the questions and answers there (and keep it OFF your infected computer).  Don't forget to change router and modem passwords and update their firmware if not current.

Lock your credit with all 3 credit bureaus.  This will prevent thieves from opening new credit cards in your name.

Be aware that malware may be embedded in any backups you make of docs or data, so those have to be scanned with good software before you let them back on an uninfected machine.

Be aware that the very best (or worst depending upon perspective) malware will disable anti-malware software and produce a specious "no malware found" report. 

Good luck.  Because of my streaming habits we got trojan infections on the computer I used until we set up a separate computer to run Linux for the purpose.  Most of the malware barfs on Linux.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Immediately!  Throw your Microsoft-based machine in the trash.

And then run out and buy an Apple computer.

Your problems will be solved forever.

I remember a teacher basically summing up why apple has fewer problems with malware is less to do with them being better against it and more about them just having such a small market share that people making it don't bother to target them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

And now you need help from all the Apple snobs!

You started with one problem...and then you created a whole new separate problem!

Angry What The Hell GIF

Please, they're called: iSheeple.

"iSheeple

Pathetically slavish devotees of Apple Computers who blindly embrace any product hawked by their turtle-necked tech messiah Steve Jobs.

The iSheeple are, as a general rule, more interested in Apple products as fashion accessories and will buy several permutations of the same item in order to stay "current", even when that device has obvious design flaws and is liable to break under even normal usage conditions (see: iPhone 4) or cause the user actual physical harm (see: overheating Macbooks). Rather than picking the best tool for the job, iSheeple choose the Apple alternative every time, paying over the odds for a product that is not as useful as it should be (see: iPad).

Ignoring well-reasoned arguments from less biased computer enthusiasts everywhere, they will never truly be convinced that Apple products are overrated. For iSheeple the mind-numbing simplicity of the various Apple operating systems is actually comforting: a real power operating system would only leave them huddled over in a corner shaking uncontrollably and sobbing that iTunes can't run their lives and tell them what to buy next anymore.

More extreme iSheeple will decorate non-Apple products with the now ubiquitous fruit silhouette logo, even going so far as to have the icon tattooed onto their skin in an overwhelming display of blind conformity.

Such is their unswerving quasi-religious devotion they are classed as acceptable targets and should be mocked whenever possible.

Even the usually infallible Stephen Fry is a notorious Apple bore and figurehead of the irritating iSheeple masses."

You mentioned you saw the cursor moving around on a blank screen. That would most likely be a program installed for remote connections and Malwarebytes isn't going to flag that as malware. After disconnecting from the internet look through your list of installed programs & sort them by date. You should see a software program for remote connections... uninstall that program first.

There are many programs for this now since working from home during the pandemic hit but a couple of the free & popular ones  I'm familiar with myself are "LogMeIn" and "TeamViewer".

Good luck!

• Thank you (+1) 1

You likely downloaded and installed a program that gives them access to a mirror version of your hard drive. Air gap your computer (physically and virtually disconnect it completely from the internet) and do a fresh OS install. You're also going to need to change all your passwords because they now have anything saved and likely installed a keystroke counter to read anything you manually input. I'd also temporarily freeze your bank account and paypal so they can't transfer money out. 

• Like (+1) 1

OP, in the future you would be wise to assume that anyone contacting you and offering to help is likely running a scam.  The only people who would know if your PC was hacked without you taking your machine to a professional to be scanned, is the group doing the hacking. 

I had an interesting hack where all of the sudden I get an email from my bank about changes to my profile and for the next 30 minutes in the email connected to my banking profile I receive a barrage of hundreds of emails to spam my inbox and bury the messages from my bank.  Someone made it into my account and burned all of my credit card reward points.  No money was moved, no transactions.  Just reward points used or transferred.  

I had 2FA with password and cell notifications.  No one should have been able to access the account even if my gmail was compromised.  No passwords were changed in the process and I was never locked out of email or bank.  I am 99% sure this was a Chase weakness that was exploited that they did not cop to.  All points were returned and I lost nothing in the process but I occasionally still get emails from Polish self help gurus.

• Shocked 1

32 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

OP, in the future you would be wise to assume that anyone contacting you and offering to help is likely running a scam.  The only people who would know if your PC was hacked without you taking your machine to a professional to be scanned, is the group doing the hacking. 

I had an interesting hack where all of the sudden I get an email from my bank about changes to my profile and for the next 30 minutes in the email connected to my banking profile I receive a barrage of hundreds of emails to spam my inbox and bury the messages from my bank.  Someone made it into my account and burned all of my credit card reward points.  No money was moved, no transactions.  Just reward points used or transferred.  

I had 2FA with password and cell notifications.  No one should have been able to access the account even if my gmail was compromised.  No passwords were changed in the process and I was never locked out of email or bank.  I am 99% sure this was a Chase weakness that was exploited that they did not cop to.  All points were returned and I lost nothing in the process but I occasionally still get emails from Polish self help gurus.

Dzięki za punkty! Śnieg w Karpatach był dobrej tej zimy.

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

What Dawkinstein said and @davefan66 as well, and no, running out to buy an Apple won't solve some of your problems.

You need to isolate your computer from the internet and disinfect it.  Depending upon how good the hackers were, and how good you are, this may be a job for professionals.  My SIL had good luck with Geek Squad.  If the computer is old enough that you might consider replacement anyway, replace it.

You also need to change ALL your passwords, especially passwords to banks, ASAP.  Also change your security questions.  Don't give the same answers to the new ones.  Make up *****.  "Where did you meet your wife?" "Tattooine" "What was your first car?" "Austin Martin" that kind of thing.  Invest in a good secure password program and keep track of the questions and answers there (and keep it OFF your infected computer).  Don't forget to change router and modem passwords and update their firmware if not current.

Lock your credit with all 3 credit bureaus.  This will prevent thieves from opening new credit cards in your name.

Be aware that malware may be embedded in any backups you make of docs or data, so those have to be scanned with good software before you let them back on an uninfected machine.

Be aware that the very best (or worst depending upon perspective) malware will disable anti-malware software and produce a specious "no malware found" report. 

Good luck.  Because of my streaming habits we got trojan infections on the computer I used until we set up a separate computer to run Linux for the purpose.  Most of the malware barfs on Linux.

Didn’t offer that he should run out and get a Mac. Stated I’ve had few viruses with my Mac.

I do agree with the rest of what you said, pretty much what I had suggested.  

Edited by davefan66

9 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Didn’t offer that he should run out and get a Mac. Stated I’ve had few viruses with my Mac.

I do agree with the rest of what you said, pretty much what I had suggested.  

Sorry, what I meant was "What Dawinstein and Davefan 66 said.  No, running out to by an Apple won't solve your problems"

Didn't mean to suggest that you were one of the "go buy a mac" advice givers, just to suggest that I thought your advice was good.

On 3/24/2023 at 4:07 AM, davefan66 said:

You most likely will need to wipe the computer, stop all cards - especially those used on this computer, change all passwords - especially banks.  I would also change the prompts that verify you , ie: “what was your first car” with those banks.  Change anything and everything you used since this happened.  Invest in LifeLock.

Ironic that you mention LifeLock for it is owned by same company as Norton and may have common people working for it.  

I had Norton was preinstalled on computer at my house and it was hacked and the diagnosis determined it was the Norton anti-virus was what allowed the hack to occur.  The hacker knew how Norton worked so well and its holes that might have worked for company.  Fortunately it was a computer without any bank accounts  or any other sensitive information. Computer was wiped, reinstalled using CDs (back when computers came with CDs and the did not expect you to make a CD set) and Norton software immediately deleted.  Issue did not reoccur.

Lifelock was same company which I was offered a free one year subscription when my information was hacked at government computer and I turned it down.

On 3/24/2023 at 4:31 PM, Einstein said:

I always wondered who falls for these scams.

Sorry to hear that happened to you. Really crappy.

I believe you once said you’re not good at reading the room. Do you understand nuance? Maybe read what you just posted to the OP. It could be read like “so now we know who the idiot is.”  I don’t think you meant it that way, but there should be no doubt. Saying sorry after that doesn’t clear the taste. 

I don’t mean this in a negative way, it’s just an observation. It’s not always WHAT you say, but more HOW you say it. It makes a big difference. 

And some things you just think 😋

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

I believe you once said you’re not good at reading the room. Do you understand nuance? Maybe read what you just posted to the OP. It could be read like “so now we know who the idiot is.”  I don’t think you meant it that way, but there should be no doubt. Saying sorry after that doesn’t clear the taste. 

I don’t mean this in a negative way, it’s just an observation. It’s not always WHAT you say, but more HOW you say it. It makes a big difference. 

And some things you just think 😋

He is Einstein, and brilliant geniuses are usually socially inept.

On 3/24/2023 at 3:31 PM, Einstein said:

I always wondered who falls for these scams.

Sorry to hear that happened to you. Really crappy.

Way to go Einstein! Smooth as a burlap sack. 

49 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

He is Einstein, and brilliant geniuses are usually socially inept.

Way to go Einstein! Smooth as a burlap sack. 

But he is not actually Einstein, and even Einstein’s obit didn’t lead with something about how he didn’t get it. 

OK, I’m done for now. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.