Jump to content

Leslie Frazier "taking a year off from coaching" per Bills PR


Roundybout

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

Marshall says without Leslie Frazier, the Bills are finished. Also says he Expects Stefon Diggs to be traded. 

 

Well, one thing's for sure, that's that we'll know more about the team leadership and coaching after if not during this upcoming season.  I'm sure that will spawn some things one way or another and that some questions will be answered.  

 

 

Edited by PBF81
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jethro_tull said:

This is really messed up and puts the Bills in a quandary on a few different levels.  

If taking a year off is not in his contract the Bills are basically being accommodating and will likely plan on his return, which screws them for a true DC hire.  

McDermott can certainly do the job but may be overloaded. 

 

How often is a coach successful if he does double duty as a Head coach and DC?  

 

I didn’t get that sense at all listening to both pressers. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

Pretty sad day in Pats nation when they make this a story. Marshall says without Leslie Frazier, the Bills are finished. Also says he Expects Stefon Diggs to be traded. 

 

Welp, I'm convinced. Time to give up my season tix I guess.

 

https://nesn.com/2023/03/good-news-for-patriots-ex-nfl-star-says-bills-dominance-is-over/

I'm convinced that Brandon Marshall has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. The defense will be different, but better imo. Diggs will still be here for the 2023 season. Our window is open as long as we have Josh Allen. 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, H2o said:

I'm convinced that Brandon Marshall has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. The defense will be different, but better imo. Diggs will still be here for the 2023 season. Our window is open as long as we have Josh Allen. 

Hard to take Brandon Marshall seriously after he screwed Fred Taylor out of that podcast deal tbh

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

They adjusted when it was what, 14-0?

 

Look at the stats in the 1st half.

 

Against zone burrow was like 16-19 for 2 TDs.

 

And against man he was like 2 for 7.

 

You can’t just spot a team 14 points in a bad weather game.

 

When I said “adjustments “, I meant game plan going in

 

 

You can't spot a team 14 points in a playoff game that quickly.  The Bills looked flat even before the opening kickoff. Having Hamlin revisit the locker room probably didn't help.  Burrow likes to get rid of the ball quickly.  The only way we were staying competitive was to emphasize man press early.  Hopefully Sean takes over defensive play calling with consulting from Holcomb. This laying off 12 yards by our dbs is embarrassing. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jethro_tull said:

This is really messed up and puts the Bills in a quandary on a few different levels.  

If taking a year off is not in his contract the Bills are basically being accommodating and will likely plan on his return, which screws them for a true DC hire.  

McDermott can certainly do the job but may be overloaded. 

 

How often is a coach successful if he does double duty as a Head coach and DC?  

 

I think McD calling defensive plays should improve the teams capacity to be more aggressive.  I also expect man press to tick up some. IMHO I don't think Sean gets that involved with the offense anyway.  He let Dabs run it for 4 years. And when a true rookie OC took over, the offense didn't have the pop of the previous 3 years. My biggest beef with McDermott is his lack of surrounding Josh with the offensive weapons/ protection he's deserved. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, jethro_tull said:

This is really messed up and puts the Bills in a quandary on a few different levels.  

If taking a year off is not in his contract the Bills are basically being accommodating and will likely plan on his return, which screws them for a true DC hire.  

McDermott can certainly do the job but may be overloaded. 

 

How often is a coach successful if he does double duty as a Head coach and DC?  

 


I think Al Holcomb was brought in to help McDermott with the defense. Notably this was done BEFORE Frazier left the building. That’s one of the reasons I am of the belief that Frazier was fired (in the nicest possible way). If he had a year left on his contract the Bills would pay him out and he’d have to keep quiet as part of that agreement. That’s standard practice. So I doubt we will hear from him publicly until next offseason when he will be interviewing for jobs with other teams.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm shaking my head on all the apologists for Frazier on here. He didnt get it done when it mattered. Great stat line for his defenses but without a SB who cares? Frazier's defensive mentality always seemed to go back to his days as a Bear where talent and tenacity was all you needed to get the win. Strategy and special game planning for a particular QB or offense seemed to have been overlooked. Great for the most part in regular season but not in the playoffs and not after the Bills had sustained all those injuries. Now going forward the next focus will be on McD. If he truly ran the defense and Frazier was just a figurehead then he will be exposed unless he brings in a genuine DC who operates independently.  I sincerely hope that McD wasnt running everything on the D because if so he should be out the door too for the Cincy debacle.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I'm shaking my head on all the apologists for Frazier on here. He didnt get it done when it mattered. Great stat line for his defenses but without a SB who cares? Frazier's defensive mentality always seemed to go back to his days as a Bear where talent and tenacity was all you needed to get the win. Strategy and special game planning for a particular QB or offense seemed to have been overlooked. Great for the most part in regular season but not in the playoffs and not after the Bills had sustained all those injuries. Now going forward the next focus will be on McD. If he truly ran the defense and Frazier was just a figurehead then he will be exposed unless he brings in a genuine DC who operates independently.  I sincerely hope that McD wasnt running everything on the D because if so he should be out the door too for the Cincy debacle.

they all should have been fired after " 13 seconds" after with no explanation or discussion about what happened...from the kick out of the endzone to the no coverage defense

  • Vomit 2
  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When people come at you for saying Fraizer has been the problem all along….Not everyone here ONLY watches the Bills. I hated this guy’s defense in Minnesota. It was always going to be that all over. It’s so unbelievably predictable and passive aggressive. I want my defense to make you react. Not sit back and hope for boredom and mistakes. For all the people that want to go for the throat on offense. That’s double for my defensive mindset. Make THEM uncomfortable. The only reason it ever “worked” here was because we had incredible talent on the backend. 21/27/23 were just flat out erasers. And If we played less than good QBs, we were going to embarrass them. This guys scheme is atrocious. Whatever we were, it would have been even better with an aggressive modern defensive mind in control. This move was 2 years too late but I’ll take it. So happy.

  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nucci said:

they all should have been fired after " 13 seconds" after with no explanation or discussion about what happened...from the kick out of the endzone to the no coverage defense

I agree on that as well. Bad enough not to squib kick it to kill 3-4 seconds but the resulting D was insane. Even if Frazier/Mc D had ordered their defense backs to firmly hold all the receivers on the Chiefs 1st down play and draw a penalty, we would have probably killed enough time to stop a FG try and win that game. Just inexcusable ! For Frazier "13 seconds" should be his epitaph.

  • Like (+1) 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, nucci said:

they all should have been fired after " 13 seconds" after with no explanation or discussion about what happened...from the kick out of the endzone to the no coverage defense

They did basically fire the ST coach for the kick. And Levi Wallace more or less took personal responsibility for the coverage debacle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Zag20 said:

They did basically fire the ST coach for the kick. And Levi Wallace more or less took personal responsibility for the coverage debacle. 

We all know the buck stops at Special Teams coach in the closing seconds of a playoff game. 

  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zag20 said:

They did basically fire the ST coach for the kick. And Levi Wallace more or less took personal responsibility for the coverage debacle. 

Levi was and always has been a standup guy, so I’m not surprised he took the blame. With that said, the coverage on both offensive plays was horrendous. Essentially if Levi played up on Kelce, got his hands on him, whatever, you’d still be looking at single coverage on the Chiefs best or 2nd best weapon. Hill and Kelce should’ve been doubled both plays at a minimum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Elite Qb’s and offenses are too good for the Frazier defense. It is incredibly effective against the majority of teams, but when the games count, against often elite QB play, the scheme gets torched.

 

Give me an attaching defense. We have the offense (and QB) to play that style. We can score if we give up the occasional big play in pursuit of pressures/sacks/interceptions and overall confusion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nbbillsfan said:

Elite Qb’s and offenses are too good for the Frazier defense. It is incredibly effective against the majority of teams, but when the games count, against often elite QB play, the scheme gets torched.

 

Give me an attaching defense. We have the offense (and QB) to play that style. We can score if we give up the occasional big play in pursuit of pressures/sacks/interceptions and overall confusion. 

We should've played man press more and stop blitzing guys named Edmunds. Elite qbs will toy with our adorable Tampa 2 zone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not holding KC’s receivers right off the line during 13 seconds was complete coaching malpractice and even if McD didn’t call that play he’s responsible for not overruling Frazier.

 

Frazier is done. I don’t care what the regular season looks like. Getting destroyed in 3 straight playoff games is more than enough evidence he can’t get us over the hump.

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Not holding KC’s receivers right off the line during 13 seconds was complete coaching malpractice and even if McD didn’t call that play he’s responsible for not overruling Frazier.

 

Frazier is done. I don’t care what the regular season looks like. Getting destroyed in 3 straight playoff games is more than enough evidence he can’t get us over the hump.

 

 

He's done in Buffalo for sure - Unclear whether he'll coach again.

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • SDS unpinned this topic
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...