Leslie Frazier "taking a year off from coaching" per Bills PR

Roundybout

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The other offers were San Francisco and Sean Payton. He had basically agreed to be the DC name on Sean Payton's ticket in advance of hiring season. Obviously though Payton going to Denver a year after Denver fired Fangio as HC meant that was probably a non-starter. 

He is one of the best defensive minds out there. But so is McDermott. And he wasn't swapping his defense out for Fangio's. It's a non-starter. 

McD defense has failed us fans for several playoff appearances. There is little to agrue about that. As to why can be debated. 

Gunner, make no mistake about it this is and always will be a McD defense. Fraizer was just a warm body executing McD plan and defense. His role was limited. He was a perfect incognito fall guy for McD. Surely, a smart guy like yourself can see that. 

At some point, changes need to be made. I'm at the point that McD D can't get it done when it counts. Let's try something different. Imho, there is little to lose. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

McD defense has failed us fans for several playoff appearances. There is little to agrue about that. As to why can be debated. 

Gunner, make no mistake about it this is and always will be a McD defense. Fraizer was just a warm body executing McD plan and defense. His role was limited. He was a perfect incognito fall guy for McD. Surely, a smart guy like yourself can see that. 

At some point, changes need to be made. I'm at the point that McD D can't get it done when it counts. Let's try something different. Imho, there is little to lose. 

I think you went a bit far on this one.  Frazier was much more than a warm body.  A warm body doesn’t call plays.  

Whomever takes the role of DC this year, now that’s a different story. That person will most likely just be a warm body as I hope/expect McD to call plays on defense this year. In 2023, I think we’ll see a 💯 McD defense.  That is the purpose of Frazier stepping away.  

McD is going all in on himself and his defense. For this, I’m excited to see. I think we’ll see a more aggressive defense this year. 

It’s now his turn to morph into the defensive version of Andy Reid.  It’s what we need if McD is going to become a championship coach imo.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I think you went a bit far on this one.  Frazier was much more than a warm body.  A warm body doesn’t call plays.  

Whomever takes the role of DC this year, now that’s a different story. That person will most likely just be a warm body as I hope/expect McD to call plays on defense this year. In 2023, I think we’ll see a 💯 McD defense.  That is the purpose of Frazier stepping away.  

McD is going all in on himself and his defense. For this, I’m excited to see. I think we’ll see a more aggressive defense this year. 

It’s now his turn to morph into the defensive version of Andy Reid.  It’s what we need if McD is going to become a championship coach imo.  

Probably did go to far. I agree. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

So it was actually Frazier holding the defense back this whole time, and his hiatus is cover for McDermott stepping in and saving the day?

That's pretty thin imo

• Agree 1

Even if McDermott was the guy behind the curtain and Frazier is the fall guy.. (for the record, I don't think that's the case) For me, it doesn't matter, with Frazier gone, McDermott now knows this defense better perform and/or the team better advance in the post-season.  

There isn't anyone else to look at if our Defense, once again, can't remotely slow down Burrow or Mahomes in the Championship Game.. let alone Divisional Round.  

I tend to think we may take a step back defensively with Von working his way back and some likely departures.. but if this team invests on Offense, along with Dorsey/Kromer Year 2.. I don't think it matters.  Maybe mid-QB's don't get held to 16 points, maybe it's more like 21.... but our Offense drops 31.  Then, in the playoffs, I expect a more clutch/in-your-face Defense.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

McDermott now knows this defense better perform and/or the team better advance in the post-season

McDermott has simply built in his 2023 excuse.  Frazier's late departure plus losing Edmunds left the defense in the lerch and all failing can be blamed on that. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So it was actually Frazier holding the defense back this whole time, and his hiatus is cover for McDermott stepping in and saving the day?

That's pretty thin imo

I agree. I think Sean is stepping in to call the defense because there isn't anyone he has the same level of trust in as Leslie Frazier. They've known each other a long time and while I think Leslie was empowered to run the defense that was because Sean trusted him and believed they were sufficiently aligned in their thinking. They were both Jim Johnson guys in Philly. 

Of course McDermott will call things slightly differently, every play caller has their own way of calling games, but the overall scheme and strategy behind their defensive approach is Sean McDermott's as much as it is Leslie Frazier's and it isn't going to alter radically. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Even if McDermott was the guy behind the curtain and Frazier is the fall guy.. (for the record, I don't think that's the case) For me, it doesn't matter, with Frazier gone, McDermott now knows this defense better perform and/or the team better advance in the post-season.  

There isn't anyone else to look at if our Defense, once again, can't remotely slow down Burrow or Mahomes in the Championship Game.. let alone Divisional Round.  

I tend to think we may take a step back defensively with Von working his way back and some likely departures.. but if this team invests on Offense, along with Dorsey/Kromer Year 2.. I don't think it matters.  Maybe mid-QB's don't get held to 16 points, maybe it's more like 21.... but our Offense drops 31.  Then, in the playoffs, I expect a more clutch/in-your-face Defense.  

Hope you are right. That's tje scenario I'm looking for. 

A dynamic offense and a step up defense when needed.

I agree. I think Sean is stepping in to call the defense because there isn't anyone he has the same level of trust in as Leslie Frazier. They've known each other a long time and while I think Leslie was empowered to run the defense that was because Sean trusted him and believed they were sufficiently aligned in their thinking. They were both Jim Johnson guys in Philly. 

Of course McDermott will call things slightly differently, every play caller has their own way of calling games, but the overall scheme and strategy behind their defensive approach is Sean McDermott's as much as it is Leslie Frazier's and it isn't going to alter radically. 

Did he confirm this in a PC or something? McD is definitely, 100% calling the Defense?

31 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Did he confirm this in a PC or something? McD is definitely, 100% calling the Defense?

No he didn't. In fact if you listen to his comments at the combine he sounded like he was leaning towards not calling plays. 

Likely it will be an in house DC. McD has to have an out and a scape goat. Him calling plays will leave him out on an island likely without a boat. 

Edited by newcam2012

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I haven't seen McDermott's presser but that was the sense I got from Brandon's.

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

No he didn't. In fact if you listen to his comments at the combine he sounded like he was leaning towards not calling plays. 

Likely it will be an in house DC. 

Gotcha, thanks to both.

Yeah, I believe he'll leave those duties to the DC. Especially if/when the hire ends up Holcomb or Babich.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

That's pretty thin imo

Sure, it could be the case,  I don’t believe Frazier is taking a year off because he needs a break.   I also don’t believe he’ll be back after next season.  

I think it’s in mcdermotts best interest to run and call the defense if he wants to remain the HC of Josh Allen.  He now has HC experience under his belt and might be able to handle both and achieve better results on D than Frazier.  

I think mcdermott is hungry and always looking to improve.  He’s an alpha and alphas often want as much power as they can handle.  He’s about to find out if he can handle it.  If he can’t, that leaves the door open for Leslie to return.  I just don’t think it’ll happen.

sure, it could be far fetched- but it also makes a lot of sense for a hungry individual 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

I hope Leslie Frazier and his family are alright. 

One note for those who keep bringing up his defenses' stats in their last three playoff losses. Not sure that's not cherry picking.

For comparision, I just calculated Kansas City's defensive stats in their last three playoff losses: they gave up, on AVERAGE, 31.6 points and 407.6 yards in those three games. Pretty terrible, huh?

It's ironic to use the Chiefs as a comparison. 

They fired their DC (Sutton) after losing to the Patriots in the AFCCG. Their defensive performance in that game was eerily similar to the Bills in the 13 seconds game. 

Per Wiki:

"Sutton had reportedly lost the support of players and coaches who felt that his "lack of adjustments has been a non-stop frustration", so he was relieved of his duties two days after the loss to the Patriots in the AFC Championship Game,[6] when the Chiefs defense twice failed to hold a 4th quarter lead and surrendered several 3rd and long conversions on New England's game-winning touchdown drive in overtime. The overtime drive highlighted Sutton's weaknesses that cost him his job, as the Patriots largely converted those 3rd downs on near-identical plays."

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Sure, it could be the case,  I don’t believe Frazier is taking a year off because he needs a break.   I also don’t believe he’ll be back after next season.  

I think it’s in mcdermotts best interest to run and call the defense if he wants to remain the HC of Josh Allen.  He now has HC experience under his belt and might be able to handle both and achieve better results on D than Frazier.  

I think mcdermott is hungry and always looking to improve.  He’s an alpha and alphas often want as much power as they can handle.  He’s about to find out if he can handle it.  If he can’t, that leaves the door open for Leslie to return.  I just don’t think it’ll happen.

sure, it could be far fetched- but it also makes a lot of sense for a hungry individual 

I don't see McD as an alpha. I see him as a high character guy that creates an nice team building environment. I see him as a calming influence and more passive than aggressive. Not a bad thing. 

An alpha has a really hard time letting others take control. He is known to let his coaches coach. Not sure if that's valid but many think he let Fraizer run much of the D. Not an alpha move at all.

McD isn't new to coaching. An alpha would have taken control of the Bills defense years ago. I'd argue McD has shielded himself from much criticism. Look at 13 seconds as an example. He walked away from that unscathed. Alphas own their mistakes. 

The Bills team often lacks toughness. They have been know as being soft and or a finesse teams for years. A team follows the example of its coach. 

McD has some great qualities. He is a high character guy and a good team builder. He does have some alpha characterics but I would not characterize him as an alpha. He's no Bill Belicheck or Andy Reid. Those are clear alphas. 

• Dislike 1

Just now, newcam2012 said:

I don't see McD as an alpha. I see him as a high character guy that creates an nice team building environment. I see him as a calming influence and more passive than aggressive. Not a bad thing. 

An alpha has a really hard time letting others take control. He is known to let his coaches coach. Not sure if that's valid but many think he let Fraizer run much of the D. Not an alpha move at all.

McD isn't new to coaching. An alpha would have taken control of the Bills defense years ago. I'd argue McD has shielded himself from much criticism. Look at 13 seconds as an example. He walked away from that unscathed. Alphas own their mistakes. 

The Bills team often lacks toughness. They have been know as being soft and or a finesse teams for years. A team follows the example of its coach. 

McD has some great qualities. He is a high character guy and a good team builder. He does have some alpha characterics but I would not characterize him as an alpha. He's no Bill Belicheck or Andy Reid. Those are clear alphas. 

Not sure its important to label people as alpha's or not. Truth is McDermott only generalizes about his being responble. He rarely if ever holds himself accountable for specific mistakes, most notably 13 second.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

This is an embarrassingly high amount to use the term "alpha", and then close by citing Andy Reid as an example 🤣

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think just about every good HC in the nfl is an alpha.  Within the category of “aloha” there are different levels.  I don’t see how a beta would make a good HC.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.