Leslie Frazier "taking a year off from coaching" per Bills PR

Roundybout

2 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

For those who say that this is all McDermott's defense: if that is the case, then Frazier's absence (or presence, for that matter) will make no difference, correct?

Not correct.

The scheme is McD's. The actual gameplan and calls during the game are on the DC.

3 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

For those who say that this is all McDermott's defense: if that is the case, then Frazier's absence (or presence, for that matter) will make no difference, correct?

The official Bills company line seems to be "Frazier was a great DC, responsble for the Bills success on defense, but he won't be missed because he was really not too consequential"

23 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

....all the way up to the point when they're dismissed due to incompetence like Farwell & Frazier.  Dude should've just called plays from the start like Andy does.

Incompetence after a top 10 defense and 13 and three season

I’m not happy with the way they played in the playoffs either but listen to what you’re saying man

I think it’s pretty obvious McBeane wanted a new play caller on defense and let Frazier save face by saying he’s taking a year off and not needing to announce they weren’t going to renew his contract.

Now why Washington is still coaching the D-line when that unit has underachieved for years I can’t explain. Not one D-lineman has been coached to his perceived potential. Maybe Groot, we will see. The rest are either an indictment on Beane’s ability to evaluate D-line talent or Washington’s ability to develop them.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Correct. We won’t see much improvement and someone else will have to go.

6 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

So theoretically, the defense could be more aggressive with McDermott calling plays and game planning?

It could be more aggressive but it won’t matter much because we lack playmakers and skill on that side of the ball. There isn’t a player on this defense that would fetch a 2nd round pick from another team tomorrow so that’s where we’re at.  The only way to fix it is by replacing the bad players with good players and that takes time.

Edited by Governor
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Governor said:

It could be more aggressive but it won’t matter much because we lack playmakers and skill on that side of the ball. There isn’t a player on this defense that would fetch a 2nd round pick from another team tomorrow so that’s where we’re at.  The only way to fix it is by replacing the bad players with good players and that takes time.

You know I hadn't thought of it like that but you may well be right. Greg Rousseau was the only one that popped into my head, still young, still ascending, still 3 years of team governed cost control. I think he may, but it isn't a slam dunk and his was the only name that came to mind. 

14 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

So theoretically, the defense could be more aggressive with McDermott calling plays and game planning?

It could be more aggressive with any new DC calling plays and game planning. Doesnt have to be McD. And as a matter of fact, SHOULDNT need to be McD.

9 hours ago, Governor said:

Defensive players tend to not generate that much equity in draft picks

11 hours ago, Governor said:

Yeah, hard to argue that unfortunately.......

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You know I hadn't thought of it like that but you may well be right. Greg Rousseau was the only one that popped into my head, still young, still ascending, still 3 years of team governed cost control. I think he may, but it isn't a slam dunk and his was the only name that came to mind. 

Nah highly doubt he would, as of now at least....He certainly has shown some promise along with being a young player on rookie contract, but I'm not sure he's shown quite enough just yet in his short 2 year career. He definitely improved from his rookie season, but one could argue that basically anyone likely "should" improve having Von Miller as a new addition on the other end.

But for a 2nd round pick Milano maybe would come a little closer than Rousseau as of right now I'd guess

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Yeah, hard to argue that unfortunately.......

Nah highly doubt he would, as of now at least....He certainly has shown some promise along with being a young player on rookie contract, but I'm not sure he's shown quite enough just yet in his short 2 year career. He definitely improved from his rookie season, but one could argue that basically anyone likely "should" improve having Von Miller as a new addition on the other end.

But for a 2nd round pick Milano maybe would come a little closer than Rousseau as of right now I'd guess

I thought about Milano but he is a little scheme specific. I think he is a player whose value to the Bills is higher than his value to the majority of the rest of the NFL. Rousseau, with his progression arc, his underlying analytics and his 3 years of cost control is the closest I can get to someone who'd fetch that return. A pre-injury Tre White would have been on the list, but even if he comes back to close to his best a corner at his age off an ACL already isn't fetching a 1st or a 2nd IMO. 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I thought about Milano but he is a little scheme specific. I think he is a player whose value to the Bills is higher than his value to the majority of the rest of the NFL. Rousseau, with his progression arc, his underlying analytics and his 3 years of cost control is the closest I can get to someone who'd fetch that return. A pre-injury Tre White would have been on the list, but even if he comes back to close to his best a corner at his age off an ACL already isn't fetching a 1st or a 2nd IMO. 

I guess that's possible, but to a certain extent if so I'd guess.....I mean I would say the last 2-3 seasons up to recent Milano has proven to be one of the better LB's and I'd guess it probably would not be a great amount of difference between the Bills value and other teams. Idk about 2nd round pick value, but he's still a 28 year old LB in the prime window of his career who makes an impact on a consistent basis for most part. 

On 3/7/2023 at 11:58 PM, Governor said:

I have to agree here. McDs record as a defense coordinator isn't very good. He had one very good year in Carolina where they were constantly playing from the front with a dominant offense. Prior to that it's all middle of the road and one year that was the worst scoring defense in Eagles history. I also don't see this list of DBs that he has developed that would warrant such trust that he can make any secondary work. 

• Disagree 2

• SDS unpinned this topic
On 3/7/2023 at 11:58 PM, Governor said:

There isn’t a player on this defense that would fetch a 2nd round pick from another team tomorrow so that’s where we’re a

This might the most depressing statement on TBD since the end of the season (because its true).  When you pause to think about it, what we saw in the Bengals games is that our defense was "exposed".   hmm. 

On 3/3/2023 at 12:28 PM, WideNine said:

Could be exactly what it looks like.

Frazier just needs time away from the game to let the batteries recharge.

We can all agree that last season was just a very tough season. It was tough logistically, AFC East was more competitive, lofty expectations, and emotional roller coaster with injuries on that side of the ball and then the fallout from the flat outing against the Bengals.

Other coaches take sabbaticals to sit in broadcast booths and be guest analysts, I would not be surprised if Frazier really just needs some time away from the game.

On the flip side, it would not go well if Frazier had been retained for another season and he did not have the juice for what the team was going to need.

We hung on to him hoping he would get a HC gig and then we get compensation. Since that didn't happen "he decided" to step away.

On 2/28/2023 at 2:41 PM, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I normally wouldn't suggest that Wawrow was trying to skate by on a technicality, but there was an awful lot of smoke about Frazier's contract expiring this offseason after the Bengals loss, AND Wawrow's tweet was a little ambiguous. Now we get this bizarre story of Frazier "taking a year off" with no explanation given. 

since my credibility's being questioned here, even by someone who has less  than 1,000 posts, i find it important to briefly end my exile and respond.

dear poster:

try using common sense here.

if Leslie wasn't under contract, the Bills would not have announced that he's taking a year off. He instead would have been replaced..

That he's taking a year off, is an indication he has one or more years left on his deal, and the Bills are allowing  him to take this year off.

Might he return with the Bills next year? Maybe. Maybe not.

But all this innuendo and reading into things, as people are want to do here, doesn't take away from what i reported back in January.

What was ambiguous about it? How am I "skating" on a technicality?

Leslie Frazier was under contract at that time. And still is under contract.

It's really not that hard, and yet you appear to make it so.

back to my exile and awaiting the opportunity to change my name to "delete this account" because it seems impossible for that to happen.

signed:

delete this account

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.