Leslie Frazier "taking a year off from coaching" per Bills PR

Roundybout

5 hours ago, Zag20 said:

They did basically fire the ST coach for the kick. And Levi Wallace more or less took personal responsibility for the coverage debacle. 

Not good enough. No comments from McDermott about any of this. He has stayed quiet. Wallace was responsible for D coverage on every play?

7 hours ago, nbbillsfan said:

Elite Qb’s and offenses are too good for the Frazier defense. It is incredibly effective against the majority of teams, but when the games count, against often elite QB play, the scheme gets torched.

Give me an attaching defense. We have the offense (and QB) to play that style. We can score if we give up the occasional big play in pursuit of pressures/sacks/interceptions and overall confusion. 

I recall a number of defenses over the years (in our own division, even) successfully employing "attaching" coverage schemes. Think Chiefs, Ravens, Patriots defenses. Think Ty Law. Think every excellent New England press-man CB this century. Think 2022 Tre White post-injury lol (I kid, I kid)...

Listening to Vic Carucci just now on Sports Talk Live...he mentioned that McD's defenses in Carolina were much more "attacking" defenses.  I always thought Frazier coached "scared" especially in the playoffs.  Whether Frazier was asked to leave or stepped away on his own, I think McD saw a change was necessary.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Listening to Vic Carucci just now on Sports Talk Live...he mentioned that McD's defenses in Carolina were much more "attacking" defenses.  I always thought Frazier coached "scared" especially in the playoffs.  Whether Frazier was asked to leave or stepped away on his own, I think McD saw a change was necessary.

What makes you say that? McD said it was 100% Frazier's call. 

16 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I'm not speculating either way.  I'm just passing on Carucci's comment about McD wanting a more aggressive D.  Perhaps it was discussed postseason and Frazier felt he was being criticised, or being eased-out with the coaching additions.   It could be maybe the season took a toll on Frazier as well since the majority of "trauma" the team experienced was on the defensive side of the ball or he wants to take stock of where, if anywhere his career might be going in light of the lack of opportunity to get another HC gig.

3 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I'm not speculating either way.  I'm just passing on Carucci's comment about McD wanting a more aggressive D.  Perhaps it was discussed postseason and Frazier felt he was being criticised, or being eased-out with the coaching additions.   It could be maybe the season took a toll on Frazier as well since the majority of "trauma" the team experienced was on the defensive side of the ball or he wants to take stock of where, if anywhere his career might be going in light of the lack of opportunity to get another HC gig.

Was MdD involved with coaching the team at all during the last two playoff losses? Because it seems like many fans think McD is just on the sidelines observing what the DC's are doing. 

McD has not been calling the defensive plays.  Yes, it's McD's defense but the play calling has not been as agressive as when McD called the plays in Carolina.  Only once did we see McD take over play calling...in a single game, a few years ago.  McD is very careful of not disrespecting his coaches publicly.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Was MdD involved with coaching the team at all during the last two playoff losses? Because it seems like many fans think McD is just on the sidelines observing what the DC's are doing. 

I have always thought McD allows his Coaches to do what they think is best. And very much to a fault.
 Part of the Growth process.
He is painfully loyal, and uncomfortable with forcing his hand when things are trending poorly.

and there is the other option , as so many have mentioned when things go awry  lol

But I still have faith in McBeanes

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

McD has not been calling the defensive plays.  Yes, it's McD's defense but the play calling has not been as agressive as when McD called the plays in Carolina.  Only once did we see McD take over play calling...in a single game, a few years ago.  McD is very careful of not disrespecting his coaches publicly.

....all the way up to the point when they're dismissed due to incompetence like Farwell & Frazier.  Dude should've just called plays from the start like Andy does.

10 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

....all the way up to the point when they're dismissed due to incompetence like Farwell & Frazier.  Dude should've just called plays from the start like Andy does.

Despite outside speculation, these coaches are allowed to leave on their own...the public criticism coming only from fans.  McD may not have wanted so much on his plate as a new head coach in the beginning.  Carucci believes he will be calling the defensive plays this year.

I think the fact that McDermott called for a more aggressive defense with a nasty edge tells me all there is to know about Frazier. To me Frazier was effectively pushed out. Imagine team did expect Frazier to return but McDermott had some changes in mind whether that was the play calling or something else. At this point Frazier decided to step away for the year.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, billieve420 said:

I think the fact that McDermott called for a more aggressive defense with a nasty edge tells me all there is to know about Frazier. To me Frazier was effectively pushed out. Imagine team did expect Frazier to return but McDermott had some changes in mind whether that was the play calling or something else. At this point Frazier decided to step away for the year.

I think once they brought Holcomb in, McD told Frazier he’s calling plays and balls in your court. Frazier decided to walk without any scrutiny. 

13 hours ago, Chaos said:

Leslie is his close friend.  Why would he tell the world that he fired his close friend when he can just say it was Leslie’s decision to step away. And it very well may have been his decision….

Very plausible scenario- McD tells Frazier that he wants to make changes to the D while taking over defensive play calling, but he would like to retain him as DC.  Frazier doesn’t like it and decides to leave. Now, that’s not necessarily “firing” Frazier, but taking away power is a demotion.  

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Leslie is his close friend.  Why would he tell the world that he fired his close friend when he can just say it was Leslie’s decision to step away. And it very well may have been his decision….

Very plausible scenario- McD tells Frazier that he wants to make changes to the D while taking over defensive play calling, but he would like to retain him as DC.  Frazier doesn’t like it and decides to leave. Now, that’s not necessarily “firing” Frazier, but taking away power is a demotion.  

You are free to speculate. We all are. But its just speculation.  My speculation says to believe that McDermott does not tell white lies to assuage and grown man's feelings though. 

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

You are free to speculate. We all are. But its just speculation.  My speculation says to believe that McDermott does not tell white lies to assuage and grown man's feelings though. 

I think that’s 💯 Mcdermotts style.  He really cares about people. He wants Leslie to coach again.  He thought he should’ve been a HC.  Saying that he fired Frazier or that he was stripping him of play calling duties accomplishes nothing.  Telling a white lie out of respect for his friend of 20+ years (which trumps being a “grown man” all day, every day) doesn’t seem too far fetched to me, especially considering the man Mcdermott is.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Chaos said:

McD was very involved in the Bengals game, he was down on his knee talking to the defense after the second td while Frazier stood there. He had the tablet there and was showing them what he was seeing and coaching them up l. The next defensive series it sure looked like Sean was calling plays from my vantage point....

My vantage point was sitting on the 25 yard line about 10 rows from the field...a bunch of us who were non player family members keyed in on this...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

For those who say that this is all McDermott's defense: if that is the case, then Frazier's absence (or presence, for that matter) will make no difference, correct?

Think the play caller plays a huge role in putting players in the right position to succeed. We won't have an answer on that till after the season. Then we will see how big of loss Frazier no longer being there will be.

Edited by billieve420

2 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

For those who say that this is all McDermott's defense: if that is the case, then Frazier's absence (or presence, for that matter) will make no difference, correct?

It will take his focus away from GameDay management 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.