QB Carr to visit the Jets (Update: signed with the Saints)

BillsFan619

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Looks like Carr is the top FA QB.  Jones will probably cash-in as a result of the dearth of QBs.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Giants franchise tag Jones for the season and draft a QB on day 2 of the draft. Someone like Hendon Hooker might appeal to them as he's a good athlete like Jones but a lot cheaper. 

Just now, The Jokeman said:

I wouldn't be shocked if the Giants franchise tag Jones for the season and draft a QB on day 2 of the draft. Someone like Hendon Hooker might appeal to them as he's a good athlete like Jones but a lot cheaper. 

They're in a bind.

On 2/17/2023 at 2:55 PM, McBean said:

They beat us with a 16 year old milf slayer at QB…

Add Carr and they probably win the East.

Side note here.  When I watch highlight reels of other teams, particularly bad ones, it always seems like their mediocre or underachieving players always have season highlights against the Bills.  This isn't new either, i feel like the Bills have been way over-represented in other teams highlights for years

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/24/2023 at 2:24 PM, The Jokeman said:

Can’t go wrong with a cheap Hooker

• Haha (+1) 5

The Bills played 5 games against the Dolphins and Jets last year and out scored those teams by 9 points combined while those teams started 4 different QBs.  It’s interesting that so many here think that Buffalo is going to run roughshod over these teams next season.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Billl said:

The Bills played 5 games against the Dolphins and Jets last year and out scored those teams by 9 points combined while those teams started 4 different QBs.  It’s interesting that so many here think that Buffalo is going to run roughshod over these teams next season.

They won't. The game in Miami the Bills dominated in every way but the scoreboard and lost. I thought Miami had the better of it in both games in Buffalo, yet the Bills came out on top. The two Jets games were just physical games with both teams winning close ones at home. I don't think it's all gloom and doom. The Bills did go 13-3 last season. But with Poyer and Edmunds most likely gone. An OL that needs to be improved, plus more skill is needed on offense. It can't just be the Allen and Diggs show. This is a very important offseason for Beane if the Bills are to win the AFCE for a 4th straight time as well as compete for a SB. I would call it a "retooling" of the roster instead of a rebuild, however.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Billl said:

This years games have nothing to do with how next years games will go.  In 2021 the Bills played 4 games against the Jets & Dolphins and went 4 - 0 outscoring those two teams by a total of 95 points!  And how did that predict the results for the 2022 season?

• Dislike 1

22 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This years games have nothing to do with how next years games will go.  In 2021 the Bills played 4 games against the Jets & Dolphins and went 4 - 0 outscoring those two teams by a total of 95 points!  And how did that predict the results for the 2022 season?

If anything it just shows how much these teams have closed on on the Bills. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It tells me that those teams improved from 2021 to 2022 but that they weren’t quite to Buffalo’s level.  You put a competent QB on the Jets, and they likely would have won both games last season.  If Miami had a guy like Carr playing QB in the playoffs instead of Skylar Thompson, the Bills would have been bounced in the first round and the offseason meltdown on here would be off the charts.

Meanwhile, we’ve got people here acting like it’s no big deal if the Jets sign a capable QB because the Chiefs still won the division after Denver signed Russel Wilson, as if that has any bearing on the Bills.  The last time I checked, Kansas City has been to 3 Super Bowls in 4 years with 2 championships and has hosted 5 straight championship games.  The Bills have made it out of the Divisional round once under this regime, and that was 3 seasons ago.

Are the Bills really such a superior organization that they can laugh at up and coming division rivals as they make huge improvements at the most important position in sports?  Looking at the roster and schedule, they look a lot like an 11-6 type team to me give or take a game.  Playing against Carr twice a year instead of Mike White and Zack Wilson could make a big difference over the next several seasons.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Billl said:

It tells me that those teams improved from 2021 to 2022 but that they weren’t quite to Buffalo’s level.  You put a competent QB on the Jets, and they likely would have won both games last season.  If Miami had a guy like Carr playing QB in the playoffs instead of Skylar Thompson, the Bills would have been bounced in the first round and the offseason meltdown on here would be off the charts.

It tells you this?  Really? I guess you don't watch a lot of NFL football.  EVERY year some teams improve and other teams collapse.  You and I have no idea whether the Jet's/Dolphins will continue improving, stay the same or get worse.  All we know is that year to year the Jets & Dolphins have been inconsistent and up and down. Meanwhile the Bills have been very consistent winning the East 3 years in a row.

1 hour ago, Goin Breakdown said:

If anything it just shows how much these teams have closed on on the Bills. 

It might mean that they have closed the gap and they blow by the Bills next season.  Or it might mean that things broke in a favorable way with the Jets/Dolphins versus the Bills this season and next season we bury them.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It tells you this?  Really? I guess you don't watch a lot of NFL football.  EVERY year some teams improve and other teams collapse.  You and I have no idea whether the Jet's/Dolphins will continue improving, stay the same or get worse.  All we know is that year to year the Jets & Dolphins have been inconsistent and up and down. Meanwhile the Bills have been very consistent winning the East 3 years in a row.

One of us doesn’t seem to know NFL football, I’ll grant you that.  One of can tell the difference between 47 TDs and 8,300 yards passing the past two seasons and 15 TDs and 4,000 yards over the same stretch, though.

The Jets are loaded with young talent up and down the roster, but they’ve had historically awful QB play the past 2 seasons.  Whether you want to admit it or not, filling that hole with a quality veteran like Carr makes them a better team.  It’s bizarre that you want to pretend otherwise.  Frankly, it’s a really bad take.  It’s no different than saying that if Allen gets hurt in the offseason that we have no idea if that would make the Bills better or worse next year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Billl said:

One of us doesn’t seem to know NFL football, I’ll grant you that.  One of can tell the difference between 47 TDs and 8,300 yards passing the past two seasons and 15 TDs and 4,000 yards over the same stretch, though.

The Jets are loaded with young talent up and down the roster, but they’ve had historically awful QB play the past 2 seasons.  Whether you want to admit it or not, filling that hole with a quality veteran like Carr makes them a better team.  It’s bizarre that you want to pretend otherwise.  Frankly, it’s a really bad take.  It’s no different than saying that if Allen gets hurt in the offseason that we have no idea if that would make the Bills better or worse next year.

Given the talent on the Bills roster I thought when Buffalo added a quality QB like Bledsoe to the roster the playoffs were right around the corner. Instead it was more of the same.

The Jets showed promise last season and have some decent players but their roster is hardly loaded.  Let's see what they actually do with all that "talent" before declaring that Carr, Rogers or Jimmy G will boost them to the next level.  Hell, Denver had a strong roster and people thought Wilson would push the Broncos past the Chiefs.  How did that work out?

• Like (+1) 1

First time I have seen or heard that the Jets may move on from Wilson. Not surprised if they do but to strikeout on Darnold and now Wilson is a bad look.

jamie stuart on Twitter: "First time I’ve ever heard Robert Saleh say Zach Wilson “could” play somewhere other than NY. Asked what happens to Wilson if a veteran QB in his early 30s joins the team? Saleh says the goal is for Wilson to improve….here or elsewhere #takeflight https://t.co/YAGlukcXDl" / Twitter

Jeremy Fowler on Twitter: "While the #Panthers and #Saints remain in the conversation for Derek Carr, the former Pro Bowl quarterback has a slight lean toward the #Jets as his next home as of now, per source. Nothing is final, but Jets -- who are linked to Aaron Rodgers -- have made an impression." / Twitter

10 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Jeremy Fowler on Twitter: "While the #Panthers and #Saints remain in the conversation for Derek Carr, the former Pro Bowl quarterback has a slight lean toward the #Jets as his next home as of now, per source. Nothing is final, but Jets -- who are linked to Aaron Rodgers -- have made an impression." / Twitter

Nice.

I actually got into a heated debate with Evan Roberts on wfan last week, Craig Cartons co host about Carr/ARod 

He wants Rodgers but likes Carr as well and all I said was as a Bills fan,  the Jets would be way more scary with Rodgers and would be mediocre with Carr

These Jet fans think they have a SB roster and talk about their D like the 85 Bears . He thinks they'd be a SB contender with either one. I disagreed.  Things got heated. Carton threw some comedy in there lol. It was actually a nice talk and I rarely call in. 

I acknowledged the Jets have a legit young roster but just pointed out he had the best RB and 2 elite weapons in Waller, Adams and consistently failed to put games away. They went 3 and out alot. I just don't see that changing with the Jests. I hope they give him a monster contract and F themselves for a few years

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/27/2023 at 3:28 AM, Matt_In_NH said:

Can’t go wrong with a cheap Hooker

I’m going to have to disagree with you on that
🤓

On 3/2/2023 at 1:54 PM, CNYfan said:

The Jets and Miami are on just about on a par with the Bills. 

The Patriots are not that far back.   The years of easy division Titles are over, I think.

The Bills have to get their act together, mostly on offense.

Yeah, the way that we pretty much ran away with the AFC east shows that we still have the best quarterback in the division and it isn’t close

21 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Nice.

I actually got into a heated debate with Evan Roberts on wfan last week, Craig Cartons co host about Carr/ARod 

He wants Rodgers but likes Carr as well and all I said was as a Bills fan,  the Jets would be way more scary with Rodgers and would be mediocre with Carr

These Jet fans think they have a SB roster and talk about their D like the 85 Bears . He thinks they'd be a SB contender with either one. I disagreed.  Things got heated. Carton threw some comedy in there lol. It was actually a nice talk and I rarely call in. 

I acknowledged the Jets have a legit young roster but just pointed out he had the best RB and 2 elite weapons in Waller, Adams and consistently failed to put games away. They went 3 and out alot. I just don't see that changing with the Jests. I hope they give him a monster contract and F themselves for a few years

Just like the Bills they have to fix their OL. I am not sure they can count on Breece this year. It took Barkley a couple of years to regain his old form from the same injury. Their D while not great is solid. I think they have good WR's. Carr isn't elite but he isn't bad either IMHO. A definite upgrade over what they have. I expect both games against them to be tough, physical games that will be competitive. Just like both games were last year.

Edited by Gregg
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. My guess is the Jets/Dolphins/Patriots progress and the Bills regress slightly making for a very competitive division top to bottom.

The Bills should be the favorite to win the division but could easily see the Jets/Dolphins having good years and dethroning the Bills.

Leaving aside each position group, better QB play likely wins the Jets both NE games, the first second Buffalo game, and the last Miami game. Flipping 4 division games changes a lot of things. 

There is a strong argument that a better QB also flips MIN and DET. But I am not sure I am willing to give them 6 more wins at this point. 

Edited by Mango
whoopsies

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Bledsoe??? 

Bledsoe sucked. He was awful. I don’t think Carr is great by any stretch but he is a solid starting QB and MUCH better than Bledsoe. The more you write the more you demonstrate you don’t know what you’re talking about. 

Yes Bledsoe!  When he came to the Bills the chatter was that he was going to lift a good roster over the top and into the playoffs. And things sure started out great.

As far as knowing what I'm talking about, I question your knowledge saying that Carr is "much better than Bledsoe".  Sure Carr doesn't throw as many INT's because he's careful with the ball to a fault but Bledsoe did throw for over 44,000 yards and 250 TD's in his career.  My guess is that if Bledsoe was playing today his stats and winning record would look a lot like Carrs.

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Yes Bledsoe!  When he came to the Bills the chatter was that he was going to lift a good roster over the top and into the playoffs. And things sure started out great.

to break our grueling 2-year (at the time) playoff drought!

If Carr signs with NO and Rodgers either retires or goes to someone besides the Jets, then I am going to laugh my ass off. Especially if they have to go with White or Wilson next year. The Jets fans calling up WFAN will be fun to listen too. The fanbase will go full blown nuclear if they strikeout on Rodgers or Carr.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Mango said:

Leaving aside each position group, better QB play likely wins the Jets both NE games, the first Buffalo game, and the last Miami game. Flipping 4 division games changes a lot of things. 

There is a strong argument that a better QB also flips MIN and DET. But I am not sure I am willing to give them 6 more wins at this point. 

This is how we Bills fans talked all off season after another year in NFL purgatory.

Sorry, but I'm not buying that the Jet's roster is as good as some are saying. They have a couple of very good young players but there are big holes in this roster particularly on the O line. 

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

to break our grueling 2-year (at the time) playoff drought!

The playoff drought was only 2 years old but it had been what 5 years sine a playoff win?  And after 4 straight SB appearances most of us Bills fans saw the team on the edge of a cliff.  As I recall the reaction to signing Bledsoe was very positive at the time - both among Bills fans and in the national sports media.  The goal was to get back to the SB, not just make the playoffs. 

I don't know bout you but after the Bills opened with a 31 - 0 thrashing of NE at home and then a 35 - 17 beat down of the Jags on the road I was feeling pretty good about the Bills and Bledsoe.

5 minutes ago, Gregg said:

If Carr signs with NO and Rodgers either retires or goes to someone besides the Jets, then I am going to laugh my ass off. Especially if they have to go with White or Wilson next year. The Jets fans calling up WFAN will be fun to listen too. The fanbase will go full blown nuclear if they strikeout on Rodgers or Carr.

Rodgers returning to Green Bay. This is PFT from Barstool and pretty locked in to inside sources.  Jets are back to square 1

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Leaving aside each position group, better QB play likely wins the Jets both NE games, the first Buffalo game, and the last Miami game. Flipping 4 division games changes a lot of things. 

did you mean the 2nd Buffalo game?  The Jets beat us at MetLife (with Zach frigging Wilson) week… 7 or 8 I think it was?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Rodgers returning to Green Bay. This is PFT from Barstool and pretty locked in to inside sources.  Jets are back to square 1

I wonder if Love asks for a trade if this happens. I thought GB was ready to move on to the JL era.

Carr would've made the Jets real tough in the division.  Similar to Miami with a healthy Tua.

Rodgers would've made the Jets a Super Bowl contender.

If they are off the board, meh.. Jets don't worry me anymore.  Let them trade their future for Lamar or settle on a B-list QB. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Carr would've made the Jets real tough in the division.  Similar to Miami with a healthy Tua.

Rodgers would've made the Jets a Super Bowl contender.

If they are off the board, meh.. Jets don't worry me anymore.  Let them trade their future for Lamar or settle on a B-list QB. 

Jimmy G, Baker, Tannehill, Brissett. I could see someone from this group. I can't see them going with White/Wilson. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.